Quote:

Dave the Wonder Boy said:

You apparently are immune to the facts, as are other liberals here. I've already posted a response to that in the last few pages. In a non-sequitor, liberals here have made the comparison of the black civil rights movement to the push for gay rights, and specifically, 'gay marriage".

But as I posted documentation of, a majority of black Americans, and many black leaders, have vocally expressed their outrage at the comparison of black civil rights to the "gay marriage" push. Which black Americans themselves call a deceit, which they do not endorse.

And I think black Americans are infinitely qualified to determine whether gay rights are comparable to gay rights, and the push for gay marriage. As I quoted, they have voiced their outrage at the comparison of gay marriage to black rights.
And it is your denial of these facts that is ill-informed.

I think what is needed is a bit of background on minority culture and specifically the culture of "machismo". In both the black and latino community, machismo is so great that even many homosexuals in those communities are in denail about their own sexuality. So much in fact that I've recently become aware of something called "down low". Which is minority homosexuals attempt to both be gay and not have to suffer thru the cultural stigma. In one report I saw on TV about this phenom, the gays asserted that they wearn't "gay" because to them that denoted white homosexuals and what they viewed as "sissy culture", weak. And in minority culture, there is nothing more terrible than their strong macho men being "weak". Religion also plays into all of this bagagge as most latinos have strong Roman Catholic backgrounds and many blacks have strong southern protestant upbringings. So if any rejection of homosexulaity is coming from minority communities, it has a lot to do with the same religious prejudice coming from white conservatives, magnified to the 9th power when mixed with the cultural stigma against being weak and unmasculine.

"In the absence of education most people resort to machismo". I heard that once and it is so true.

and if we're talking minority communities, I think I mentioned the Jewish community in West Hollywood a while back. If any group is qualified to talk about social rejection and prejudice I think it's the jews. They accept the gay community with open arms and support. Not because of something written in their holy books but because they actually know them and live together in the REAL world and stand up to injustice and inequality when they see it with their own eyes. After all, they both suffered just the same in the Nazi bigotry & death camps

Last edited by whomod; 2004-03-14 4:41 AM.