Jumping back into this thread...

Dave, I have this idea worked out. I don't know how familar you are with America Law, but is what I am proposing make any sense? Just read on:

Church and State are seperate things. So, let's say I am going to marry...Ben Affleck...at my old Catholic church back home (hey, I can dream, can't I). Now, I get married in my church, the church says I'm married, yadda yadda yadda, all our children are born in wedlock, I can take Communion, I can have sex, yadda yadda yadda...

But that's a Church marriage. Now let's say that Ben and I want to be recognized as a legal couple. We want the legal benefits of being a couple. Which means stuff like taxes, hospital visitations, yadda yadda yadda (I think Wednesday listed the benefits for me early on in this topic). So now we get a legal union. I change my last name to Affleck and we pay more taxes.

Now, homosexuals would be included in the civil unions. The civil union doesn't define a couple by their ability to raise a family (which is the tradition reason for getting married). Each church is a private organization, so they can say no to homosexuals marrying in their churches.

In short...Church marriages are ordained by God...Civil Unions are ordained by judges.

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream