Quote:

Steve T said:
Quick question:
There was a big fuss in the Anglican church last year because they wanted to promote a Gay Bishop.
He had been celibate for a long time because the bible said it was wrong. A big fuss was made and his promotion blocked.
Where do you lot stand on this situation?

I'll just quote what I said in Franta's thread:

Quote:

Pariah said: I, myself, don't really see much problem with a gay priest. The Church doesn't turn them away. Like straight people, they are told not to have premarital sex--However, because the act of sodomy is an abomination, they must also acknowledge that the sex they feel predisposed to, which they are abstaing from, is not moral in any sense of the word. Due to this, I can understand the views of why gay priests shouldn't be priests. A priest is bound by his chosen religion and overall place in life to preach the immorality of homosexuality. A gay priest who is simply abstaining from sex would be likely give this message backwards since he's gay and gay sex is not allowed in the Catholic religion. As a Catholic, you must adhere to the religion's requirements. It's a type of conflict of interest if you will. Admissioning someone who thinks homosexual sex is nothing amoral as a priest would be an oxymoron since that would mean he doesn't actually follow Catholic doctrine. A priest can validate sex (not premarital of course), but one cannot validate sodomy. If it's a gay priest that finds/admits his urges unnatural and all around not right though, I don't see the problem.