Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Ok, so the government decides to impose a legal age limit on marriage. They decide you have to be at least 18 to get married. You guys are doing the equivalent of saying, "Oh but if you make it 18 then 17 & 16 year olds will also argue that they should be able to get married. Maybe we shouldn't let 18 year olds get married"

Age issues aren't equivalent to either political or psychological issues. They are definitely related in that many pre-18 year-olds could be more mature than someone who actually is 18. But, because there is no true age of mental maturity, it's set at 18. i.e. It's being "better safe than sorry"...Although, this view could change if enough youngsters feel like sticking their oars in--And don't dare tell me it can't happen. Anyway, marriage between homosexuals doesn't go within the 'better safe than sorry' category since it's a question of financial/logcial efficiency and not controversey over maturity.

And, actually, there is no universal marriage requirement as far as age is concerned. last I heard, the Kansas standard is 13 years.

Quote:

This type of argument has been used against expanding the vote to women to interracial marriage. Why is this a valid argument now?

And that makes the issues totally comparable.....Oh wait....No it doesn't.

Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
It's more than just consenting adults.

Then why do you and the majority of your constituent voice only concentrate on the "consenting adults" argument if it really is more complicated than the simple use of that statement makes it seem?

Quote:

Brother & sisters can't marry reguardless of age.

Yes. Due to health concerns. One could make the same argument for homosexuals.

Quote:

Nor can a marriage be used legally as a business transaction for somebody to get legal residency.

Yes it can. It's not condoned, but it's allowed.

Quote:

Our government already makes some legal judgements about consenting adults & marriage.

All of which have proved negotiable.

Last edited by Pariah; 2006-01-17 5:31 AM.