Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Civil rights aren't a prize you get for being persecuted, having parrades or attacking policemen from bars. Civil rights are just that rights. By your logic civil rights would only apply to the oppressed and noone else. How about Koreans. Do they deserve civil rights?

You're starting to make emotional arguments, not logical ones.

It's easy to say that dismissively when you're not somebody in the persecuted group.

My god, I can't even be out to my employer without being fired on the spot.

And I appeal to an emotional example (see above) when I can't see the logic in the other argument, i.e., supporting polygamy.

Futhermore, the establishment of civil rights in this country has always been brought about from those groups who have felt opposed and became motivated to protest.

And don't start telling me that being persecuted isn't a cause for civil recognition. The Jews got Israel given to them following the Holocaust.

It's much easier for me to say this because I'm white and straight, but if we look at rights as a give-and-take rewards system then no one will ever be even. Black people and white people will always be feuding because someone called someone else a nigger or a whitey. Gay people and straight people will always be bickering because we happen to check out opposite genders.

Rights should be rights. We should all have them and be equal. You should be allowed to get married because I'm allowed to get married. You should be allowed a chance at a job because I'm allowed a chance at a job, but that's all you get. A chance. When you think of rights as a rewards system, suddenly you have people in positions they don't deserve because they achieved their status through whining. Look at the current situation in Israel: they're surrounded by enemies who don't believe they have any right to be there. If rights are concrete, then we don't have those kinds of problems.

Of course, this world I'm describing will probably never come to pass because we're all a bunch of bastards. I respect your posts and definitely don't think that you're the whiner type, but WBAM is right.

P.S. Your employer is a bastard who needs to get fired.

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!