Quote:

Pariah said:
That all depends on what perspective you're viewing it from. Are you describing it as a government institution or a particular tradition?

Both would fit my description, but if you're asking me how I view marriage, then the answer is definitely a government institution. I think it's fine that the religiously-inclined place a great deal of importance and ritualization in it, but the fact of the matter is: today, marriage is a legal contract. This is the age of prenuptial agreements(which, once upon a time, was also an unpopular idea because it "violated the sanctity of marriage"), divorce settlements and custodial battles. As I've said before, not everyone gets married in a church, temple, mosque, etc.

Really, to paint marriage now as a Judeo-Christian practice the way so many have is borderline offensive. If you view marriage as sacred...well, that's your prerogative, but I don't agree. Marriage is a law, and no law should be sacrosanct. Bar none, the thing I like most about this country is that we live in a society that constantly questions itself and its ideas so as to create the best possible environment for its people. That we are currently at war with a theocracy only further drives that point home for me.

Getting back on point...if you want to retain your own ideas and traditions when it comes to your marriage, that's OK by me. You just shouldn't have the right to expect everyone else to follow the same traditions. If your church thinks homosexuals shouldn't marry...don't marry them in your church. What is written in the Bible shouldn't extend to the courthouse.

Quote:

magicjay38 said:
WBAM - Come talk to me when you've walked a mile in 4" stiletos.

I'm told that can be quite uncomfortable.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.