COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (CNN) -- Evangelical pastor Ted Haggard confessed on Sunday to a "lifelong" sexual problem, and said he was "a deceiver and a liar," in a letter read to his New Life Church.

"There is part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I've been warring against it all of my adult life," he said in the letter.

Haggard apologized to his congregation and asked for their forgiveness in the letter read by pastor Larry Stockstill, a member of the board of overseers of New Life Church.

On Saturday, the board ousted Haggard from the 14,000-member church, which he founded more than 20 years ago, citing his "sexually immoral conduct."

Haggard had previously admitted that he bought methamphetamine and got a massage from Mike Jones, a former prostitute. Jones said the prominent pastor had paid him for sex over a three-year period. (Watch what led to Haggards firing -- 2:40)

Haggard, in an interview with CNN affiliate KUSA denied having sex with Jones and said he did not use the drug and threw it away.

In the letter read Sunday, Haggard took responsibility for his actions, saying "I am guilty of sexual immorality" and noted that "the things I did opened the door for additional allegations."

He asked the congregation to also forgive his accuser, who Haggard said has revealed "the deception ... that was in my life."

In a separate letter from Haggard's wife, also read by Stockstill, Gayle Haggard said while her heart is broken, she remains "committed to him until death do us part."

An overflow congregation responded to the announcement with a standing ovation.

Haggard, 50, and his wife have five children.

The rest of the article can be read at http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/05/haggard.allegations/index.html.

That he's gay but married...hey, it happens.

That he bought meth...hey, he's stupid. That he says he threw it away? Sorry, you went that far, Ted. Count me among those who believe you used it.

That he paid for sex...now that's giving being gay a bad name. Chatrooms and sites like manhunt.net--no need to pay for sex anymore, Teddy. Even for an old hypocrite like you.

And while ole Ted may say that his gay side is "repulsive and dark," I'm betting the cock was still good and the orgasms nice and messy.

We all wear a green carnation.