Quote:

klinton said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
But Jesus also allowed for those who serve in the military to defend their homeland, their homes and their families.

Did he really? Are you sure of that? What did he have to say on the issue of Roman control of Israel?

I can't recall the precise verse, but there is a verse in the New Testament that allows for service in war for one's country.

Regarding what Jesus thought of Roman control of Israel, the conflict between Jesus and the Hebrew leadership that led to his false accusation of citing rebellion and Jesus' crucifixion, was that Jews were expecting a political/military leader, to lead Israel back to independence as a sovereign nation, out from Roman occupation.
But Jesus was always clear that his was a spiritual kingdom, and never had any inclination toward a rebellion, despite what he was accused of.

As this verse from MARK 12: verses 13-17makes clear:

Quote:

13 Later they [Jewish political leaders] sent some of the Pharisees and Herodians to catch him [Jesus] in his words. [i.e., trick him into saying something that could be interpreted as rebellious against Rome and get him arrested.]
14 They came to him and said, "Teacher, we know you are a man of integrity. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are. But you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?
15 Should we or shouldn't we ?"
But Jesus knew their hypocrisy. "Why are you trying to trap me?" he asked. "Bring me a denarius (a Roman coin) and let me look at it."
16 They brought the coin and he asked them, "Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?"
"Caesar's", they replied.
17 Then Jesus said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

Meaning give your taxes to the state, your obedience to government. And give reverence to God in spiritual matters.