Quote:

Im Not Mister Mxypltk said:

Yeeeeeeeeah, I stopped reading there.

Well, I should have.

Oh well.

Quote:

Not even close. The crazy as fuck terrorists attacked on 9-11 to [do what they thought was right] (again, attacking a civilian target). We bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki to [to do what we thought was right (again, attacking a civilian target]

I agree with this.

You have a weird rational for 'what people think is right'. Terrorists think they are right...so that makes it acceptable? We know what they think: what do you think? They should get a free pass because they have a twisted outlook on life?

Quote:

I never judged the entire religion or culture.

Didn't you just say their "religionorculture" encourages them to blow up dance clubs or something...? I don't know, I deleted that part.

Then go back and read it. Save the 'I shouldn't read it/I didn't read it/I'm not going to read it' "threats".

Anyway, yes, there is appearantly something in the Muslim religion or culture that encourages their followers to blow up dance clubs, school buses, and hospitals.

Unless they all happen to get the ideas randomly.

Quote:

Peaceful Muslims do exist. Why they don't do something about the those who kill in Allah's name, I have no idea.

I think the problem starts with the innocent guy I mentioned before, the one who does nothing wrong but is secretely glad that there are terrorists attacking the US.

Doesn't sound like he's so innocent then. Not at all different than the Germans who were secretly happy that the Nazis were killing all over Europe (but were "horrified" when they "discovered" the concentration camps) or all the collaborators the dirty Soviets had.

Standing by and letting it happen isn't going to change the situaton, especially if you are "secretly happy" that it is going on in the first place.

Quote:

He feels that way out of resentment, because from his perspective his culture is being invaded by the western world. He can't reconcile his ideas with those coming in all directions from the west (and, let's face it, if we were bombarded with ideas from the east the way they are, we would feel the same way). He takes the silliest little things we do as personal insults and mockery (a bit like Oakley). There are millions of innocent guys like that who don't harm anyone in their lifetimes, but their unspoken discontent makes up the general sentiment in their society. Every society has extreme expressions of its general mood and, in this case, the result is disastrous.
Fighting the extremists (the end of the chain) is obviously a necessity but it's just a temporary solution, cause there are millions of potential others like him hiding inside decent people who have done nothing wrong. I think the only way to permanently solve a problem this complex is by reaching out to the regular guy and, somehow, calming his discontent. Explaining our differences, maybe (though, how can we expected to explain them if we don't know them ourselves? "Culture, religion... whatever!") Instead, what are you doing? Inadvertedly blowing up his village while trying to get the bad guys and giving him more reasons to hate you.

I think communicating and teaching is important, too. A lot of that is being done. We've built schools, hospitals, and given the Iraqi people a better chance at freedom and democracy than their own glorious leader and his asshole kids ever did.

Quote:

There obviously are some aspects of the religion that cause and encourage the insanity of the attacks on 9-11, or the suicide attacks in Isreal, or the bloodshed in Iraq, or the violence against women in Afghanistan, or the human rights abuses in the Sudan, or the...

By that logic we could say that there our some aspects of the predominant western religion that encourage racial crimes, sex crimes, fascism, school shootings, serial killers, etc...

Those people are punished by the law, and generally ostracized, and are not given the martyr/hero treatment.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]