Quote:

the G-man said:
In order to amend the constitution it would require both houses of Congress to approve by two-thirds votes a resolution calling for the amendment. Then the proposed amendment must then be "ratified" or approved by the legislatures of three-fourths of the states.

The Senate hasn't been two-thirds GOP at any time during our lifetimes. Therefore, how can you claim with a straight face that the republicans were "close" to amending the constitution?

The answer, of course, is that you're a lying hypocrite, Chris.

What I've been saying for the last couple of pages on this thread is that if we didn't have a law like DOMA, there would have been enough national support for a change in the constitution. You won't acknowledge that many in your party have been trying to make that become a reality. The Federal Marriage Ammendment may have been voted largely along party lines but even with the DOMA law in place a couple of Dems still voted for the amendment. Contrary to what you say the Senate doesn't need to be 2/3rds GOP to pass something like FMA. If there hadn't been DOMA the GOP would have been able to get FMA passed as more Dems would have voted for it.

BTW, it just seems so stupid that your attacking me personally for what I see as being a very reasonable position. I'm not for DOMA but I recognize that it's spared us gay people from having our constitution changed. I really don't want the constitution ammended to include anti-gay marriage language. That is hardly bashing my fellow gays as you have titled your posts. Your willingness to press such an untrue & personal attack on me is really unfair IMHO.

Fair play!