RKMBs
Posted By: thedoctor Knight Rider: The Movie - 2003-04-14 9:52 PM
quote:
Revolution Studios has hired first-time writers David Elliott and Paul Lovett to pen the script for its big-screen adaptation of the 1980s TV show Knight Rider, Variety reported. The feature film is being planned as an action comedy, the trade paper reported.

The TV series ran on NBC from 1982 to 1986 and centered on Michael Knight (David Hasselhoff) and his talking car K.I.T.T., a Pontiac Trans Am. Hasselhoff will executive produce the film, while Disney-based Mayhem Pictures' Mark Ciardi and Gordon Gray will produce with Glen A. Larson, who created the TV show, the trade paper reported.

Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2003-04-14 11:38 PM
Nobody would believe a car with an inteactive computer, with GPS, and infra red capabilities. What does Hollywood take us for fools!
Posted By: Sonhaven Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2003-04-15 12:28 AM
This movie is a bad idea.....
Posted By: allan1 Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2003-04-18 2:30 PM
They'll love it in Germany.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2003-04-29 9:17 PM
quote:
Former Knight Rider star David Hasselhoff told SCI FI Wire that he's still executive producing a feature-film version of the 1980s TV show and is also developing a new TV series. Formerly known as Super Knight Rider 3000, the feature film is now simply called Knight Rider: The Movie and is in development at Revolution Studios.

Hasselhoff added that he is in talks to produce the new TV series. "Right now it's in this land of 'Which way are we going with it?'" Hasselhoff said in an interview. "I think for the film, we're going to go one way, and for the television series another way." Hasselhoff said that he hopes to have an acting role in both the film and the series. "I figure James Bond's about my age, so I could still be Michael Knight." No start date is announced for either project.

Posted By: Sonhaven Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2003-04-30 1:03 AM
....its times like this when I lose faith in humanity......
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2003-04-30 1:23 AM
No way in hell am I gonna see film with Hasselhoff as the main player.
Posted By: allan1 Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2003-04-30 1:31 AM
Nein!!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2003-05-01 4:12 PM
It gets worse:
quote:
April 30, 2003 - The often reliable industry insider website 4Filmmakers.com is reporting that Ashton Kutcher (That '70s Show, Dude, Where's My Car?, Just Married) is set to star in the forthcoming big-screen adaptation of Knight Rider. As previously reported, the Revolution Studios project will "overhaul" the Knight Rider concept in order to target "young, action-oriented moviegoers."

Meanwhile, Sci Fi Wire talked to David Hasselhoff who confirmed that he's still set to executive produce the film version. The former Baywatch star says he's also involved with a new TV version of the classic '80s show. "I think for the film, we're going to go one way, and for the television series another way," he says.

The original series revolved around the mysterious crime fighter known as Michael Knight and KITT, his custom black Trans Am that was capable of speeds greater than 300 MPH and "turbo boosting" 50 feet into the air upon voice command.

Posted By: Disco Steve Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2003-05-02 11:39 PM
Ashton Kutcher? Hasselhoff was a better choice.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-09 11:55 PM
The times, they are a changin'.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/fs/20060509/114720026800.html
Quote:

Hasselhoff Skien Comes to Big Screen
The Weinstein Co. has picked up the feature rights to the '80's series Knight Rider from show creator Glen A. Larson.

By Mark Umbach, FilmStew.com

Everybody's favorite TV actor, well, at least Germany's favorite TV actor, David Hasselhoff, must be so proud. The actor, who recently found out DreamWorks will be bringing an adaptation his Baywatch to theatres, will soon see another of his characters brought to the big screen. Indie shingle The Weinstein Co. has picked up feature rights to Hasselhoff starrer Knight Rider from show creator Glen A. Larson, and the company now has an eye toward adapting the series for the big screen.

Hasselhoff spent the mid-'80s cruising around the small screen as Michael Knight, with his talking car KITT, in the cop series Knight Rider. The show centered on an injured cop who had been left to die. He is nursed back to health by a mysterious millionaire who gives the cop a new name, face and all sorts of high-tech gadgets, including his car KITT, to help fight crime.

The show ran from 1982 through 1986 on NBC and earned Hasselhoff the People's Choice Award as Favorite Male Performer in a New Television Series for the show's first season.

No casting decisions for the feature have been made, but David Price, who brought the idea to The Weinstein Co., will be a co-producer.

The Weinstein Co. recently picked up the feature rights to TV's Welcome Back, Kotter as a star vehicle for Ice Cube, and they are also developing The Equalizer for the big screen. One can only hope that the studio does a better job with Knight Rider than was recently done with the likes of The Dukes of Hazzard and Bewitched, to name a few.

Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 12:03 AM
You just know they are looking at Ben Stiller as Michael Knight with Owen Wilson as the voice of the car.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 2:28 AM
Some people just dont get what Dukes of Hazzard was sposed to be.
They say, "Ooh, it was a pile of shit!" but they are trying to compare it to the series, not realising it wasnt actually sposed to be exactly like the series!
It was a fun movie.
Nothing stunning or particulary original, but a fun waste of time none the less.
I'll grant that Bewitched wasnt that good, but Dukes was pretty good!

Movie snobs will always shit on movies like this though, so I shouldnt be too surprised!

If a Knight Rider movie follows the same formula as Starsky & Hutch, Charlies Angels & Dukes of Hazzard, I wont be too upset!
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 3:27 AM
I will!

Knight Rider was a big part of my childhood. They mess with the formula and try to make it a comedy (that isn't very funny) heads will roll.

This movie is old news to KR fans. Hasselhoff tapped William Daniels, the original voice of K.I.T.T. to voice the car in the movie about a year ago.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 4:00 AM
See thats the thing, I loved Knight Rider as a kid, but these days I try to watch it & it was nowhere near as good as I remembered!
Merely transporting the show to the silver screen will more than likely suck, there has to be something new about it to make it viable!

If making it a comedy works, then go for it, but for godsake dont copy the formula of the original show unless you wanna only appeal to people under 12 years old!
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 4:48 AM
Well, I definitely agree that Knight Rider, like many properties from the 80s, could use an update.

But making it a comedy would be a huge mistake, in my opinion. They would do well to keep the high-tech crimefighting aspect of the original while bringing the rest up to speed.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 4:49 AM
Hasselhoff was your idol wasnt he!
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 5:02 AM
So?

Don't judge me!
Posted By: PJP Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 6:19 AM
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Well, I definitely agree that Knight Rider, like many properties from the 80s, could use an update.

But making it a comedy would be a huge mistake, in my opinion. They would do well to keep the high-tech crimefighting aspect of the original while bringing the rest up to speed.

Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 6:43 AM
A talking car is an absurd concept, so it can only work as a comedy... unless they come up with a feasible scientific explanation. For example, they could say the car is actually a teenager who turns into an automobile whenever he touches hot water, and who can only turn back into a human by touching cold water. That, or maybe they could just make it a boogie. Boogies are fun.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 2:58 PM
Quote:

Im Not Mister Mxypltk said:
A talking car is an absurd concept, so it can only work as a comedy unless they come up with a feasible scientific explanation....

NYET!

Quote:

For example, they could say the car is actually a teenager who turns into an automobile whenever he touches hot water, and who can only turn back into a human by touching cold water. That, or maybe they could just make it a boogie. Boogies are fun.

NYET!
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 3:04 PM
Black Russian!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 4:18 PM
Quote:

Wednesday said:
I will!

Knight Rider was a big part of my childhood. They mess with the formula and try to make it a comedy (that isn't very funny) heads will roll.

This movie is old news to KR fans. Hasselhoff tapped William Daniels, the original voice of K.I.T.T. to voice the car in the movie about a year ago.

Actually, it's new news. Revolution Studios, who had the rights when I posted the first article two years ago, has folded. The rights went back to Larson, who just sold them to the Weinsteins. Hasselhoff was a part of the Revolution project, but his name is nowhere to be found on this one. He's probably being sidelined because of his shakey divorce proceedings.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 4:21 PM
Damn Germans!
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 4:54 PM
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

A talking car is an absurd concept, so it can only work as a comedy unless they come up with a feasible scientific explanation....

NYET!

I forget you people live in the future, where there's more technology than civil liberties.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 11:32 PM
Quote:

thedoctor said:

Actually, it's new news. Revolution Studios, who had the rights when I posted the first article two years ago, has folded. The rights went back to Larson, who just sold them to the Weinsteins. Hasselhoff was a part of the Revolution project, but his name is nowhere to be found on this one. He's probably being sidelined because of his shakey divorce proceedings.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Posted By: Grimm Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-10 11:48 PM
Quote:

thedoctor said:

Revolution Studios. . .has folded.

Ahhhhh. that explains why Hellboy 2 doesn't have a studio right now.
Posted By: ROY BATTY Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-11 2:21 AM
I'm a Futurist!
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-11 2:45 AM
I'm a Mxyst!
Posted By: mxy Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-11 2:47 AM
I'm Mxy!
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-11 2:48 AM
EEP!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-11 3:12 AM
Quote:

ROY BATTY said:
I'm a Futurist!

I am my father's son...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-11 3:25 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

NYET!

I forget you people live in the future, where there's more technology than civil liberties.

Sig worthy. Your residual check is in the mail...
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2006-05-11 3:50 AM
Posted By: thedoctor Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-11-26 8:18 PM
http://tv.yahoo.com/knight-rider/show/34...4c_a5d54ee3d8db
 Quote:
David Hasselhoff is in talks to reprise his role as Michael Knight in a TV movie sequel to his breakout 1980s hit series, Knight Rider, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

NBC is hoping the TV movie will reboot the franchise and launch a new series. This time out, however, Hasselhoff will cede the KITT-driving to Justin Bruening, who will play Michael Knight's son.

Per the Reporter, the so-called "backdoor pilot" will find Junior holed up in Vegas, where he's in big trouble for unpaid gambling debts and is bitter about his unrequited love for childhood best friend Sarah Kamen.

His luck changes, however, when Sarah (The Young & the Restless actress Deanna Russo), turns up and offers him a way out of his mess.

Little does the younger Knight know that Sarah is the daughter of KITT inventor Charles Kamen, who has gone missing. It's up to Knight to rescue him.

No word yet exactly how big a part the Hoff will have this time around or whether he'll be a regular should a new series get greenlighted.

Producers are also tight-lipped about what kind of vehicle the new KITT will be. The original talking Trans Am was known as Knight Industries Two Thousand. For the new version, the car will be updated to the Knight Industries Three Thousand. Early reports suggested the vehicle would have Transformers-like abilities and indicated producers were still seeking an auto manufacture to partner with.

The Knight Rider telepic is being produced by filmmaker Doug Liman (The Bourne Identity), who may direct the pilot if he can squeeze it into his schedule.

Hasselhoff's last ride with KITT was in the 1991 telepic Knight Rider 2000, and over the years he's made no secret about his desire to rev up a big-screen version. But with the feature film Knight Rider stalled in development, NBC decided to proceed with a new TV incarnaiton.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-13 12:42 AM
AICN is reporting that Will "Arrested Development" Arnett is the new voice of Kitt.

As one poster there asks: "Gob is Kitt? WTF?"
Posted By: Rob Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-13 2:11 AM
yeah, cuz,... cuz i'm gonna be a car now? COME ON!
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-13 3:59 AM
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
yeah, cuz,... cuz i'm gonna be a car now? COME ON!

See Rob become KITT here!

Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-13 5:33 AM
"Turbo Teen" may have the stupidest origin of all time.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-13 7:38 AM
The new KITT:

Posted By: Jeremy Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-13 7:45 AM
No sir, I don't like it.
HERESY!

HERESY!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-13 7:57 AM
While I realize that this is the result of nothing but product placement cash, the use of a Mustang for KITT is a poor choice from a creative standpoint.

KITT is supposed to be a car "of the future." Indeed, while dated today, at the time of the original series the Pontiac they used was one of the more forward-looking cars being mass produced.

In contrast, the current Shelby Mustang was deliberately designed to have a certain "retro" feel. That undercuts the necessary aura of futurism you need for KITT.

Unfortunately, as noted before, this is about which car company ponied (pun intended) up the most cash. So I guess we're "stuck" with the Mustang.

I at least hope that something on the front end lights up in red....

Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-13 8:01 AM
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
While I realize that this is the result of nothing but product placement cash, the use of a Mustang for KITT is a poor choice from a creative standpoint.

KITT is supposed to be a car "of the future." Indeed, while dated today, at the time of the original series the Pontiac they used was one of the more forward-looking cars being mass produced.

In contrast, the current Shelby Mustang was deliberately designed to have a certain "retro" feel. That undercuts the necessary aura of futurism you need for KITT.

Unfortunately, as noted before, this is about which car company ponied (pun intended) up the most cash. So I guess we're "stuck" with the Mustang.

I just that something on the front end lights up in red....

Were you thinking something like a DeLorean?

KITT could travel back in the past to prevent crimes!

No, wait, that was Seven Days...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-13 8:05 AM
I'm not really a 'car guy' so I can't say what current car would be best for KITT.

But off the top of my head, I think a Corvette would have been a better choice.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-13 8:13 AM
I'm not really a 'car guy' so I can't say what current car would be best for KITT.

I'm a car guy!

But I don't care at all for the new look on the Corvette. It looks too much like any other Japanese car... which is not a bad thing, in itself..
but Corvette has now lost that unique look it had up until just a couple of years ago.

Now, if KITT were a 1996 red Corvette.. or, an orbit orange 1969 GTO Judge.. or, a dark red 1969 Mach 1 Cobra Jet engine Mustang.. or even a black 1971 Plymouth GTX..

Well, that would be pretty damn good.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-13 8:23 AM
I take it you didn't bother to read my point about the car needing to look modern...?
Posted By: Rob Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-13 9:42 AM
i dont mind the look of KITT all that much. ... though, as much as i love g.o.b., i can't believe mr feeney isn't gonna be the voice of KITT! and no hasslehoff?!

i liked the show for what it was back in the day, and clearly now its extraordinarily dated, but... michael knight and david hasslehoff are sorta inseperable identities. its one of the rare times where i think popculture has iconified (!) the actor to the role.

its just not really knight rider without the two of them.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-13 6:57 PM
I take it you didn't bother to read my point about the car needing to look modern...?

I read your point and decided to go on about how I think KITT ought to be a classic muscle car!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-14 2:48 AM
You just like the car because it's big and black. Like your men.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-14 3:07 AM
Touche
Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-14 5:08 AM
no hasslehoff?!

AICN is also reporting that the Hoff is back, at least in a cameo. Apparently, the plot of the movie is that the new Knight Rider is his son.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-14 5:50 AM
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
http://tv.yahoo.com/knight-rider/show/345/news/urn:newsml:tv.eonline.com:20071120:a3ab7d94_eca54418_b44c_a5d54ee3d8db
 Quote:
David Hasselhoff is in talks to reprise his role as Michael Knight in a TV movie sequel to his breakout 1980s hit series, Knight Rider, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

NBC is hoping the TV movie will reboot the franchise and launch a new series. This time out, however, Hasselhoff will cede the KITT-driving to Justin Bruening, who will play Michael Knight's son.

Per the Reporter, the so-called "backdoor pilot" will find Junior holed up in Vegas, where he's in big trouble for unpaid gambling debts and is bitter about his unrequited love for childhood best friend Sarah Kamen.

His luck changes, however, when Sarah (The Young & the Restless actress Deanna Russo), turns up and offers him a way out of his mess.

Little does the younger Knight know that Sarah is the daughter of KITT inventor Charles Kamen, who has gone missing. It's up to Knight to rescue him.

No word yet exactly how big a part the Hoff will have this time around or whether he'll be a regular should a new series get greenlighted.

Producers are also tight-lipped about what kind of vehicle the new KITT will be. The original talking Trans Am was known as Knight Industries Two Thousand. For the new version, the car will be updated to the Knight Industries Three Thousand. Early reports suggested the vehicle would have Transformers-like abilities and indicated producers were still seeking an auto manufacture to partner with.

The Knight Rider telepic is being produced by filmmaker Doug Liman (The Bourne Identity), who may direct the pilot if he can squeeze it into his schedule.

Hasselhoff's last ride with KITT was in the 1991 telepic Knight Rider 2000, and over the years he's made no secret about his desire to rev up a big-screen version. But with the feature film Knight Rider stalled in development, NBC decided to proceed with a new TV incarnaiton.
Posted By: Rob Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-14 6:49 AM
needless!

given the chance, the original hasslehoff and KITT combo would have rid the world of crime years ago.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-14 7:05 AM

AICN is also reporting that the Hoff is back, at least in a cameo. Apparently, the plot of the movie is that the new Knight Rider is his son.

I'll rephrase. AICN is reporting that Hoff is no longer merely "in talks" but has accepted the part in the sequel.
Went to this site where a few posters did some photoshopping.

Acura NSX Sports Car Concept

Redone as KITT

Camaro Concept

Posted By: Cowgirl Jack Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-19 5:49 AM
Hah. The Camaro one is a good idea. More so since Camaro = Firebird.

...But can we have two talking Camaros?

The thing about the current trend is cars is that they all look boxy now. The current sports cars are meant to look like their boxy past versions of the 60s and 70s. Meanwhile, cars in the 80s and 90s are sleekier. So I don't think we'll get a KITT that looks like the streamline Trans Am.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-19 6:05 AM
KITT would be awesome as a Corvette!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-19 6:10 AM
Last week:

Originally Posted By: Beardguy57

...I don't care at all for the new look on the Corvette. It looks too much like any other Japanese car... which is not a bad thing, in itself..
but Corvette has now lost that unique look it had up until just a couple of years ago...

This week:

Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins

Dammit, Jerry, try to make your Mandingo lust for Perkins a little less obvious, would you?
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-19 6:13 AM
Last week:

...I don't care at all for the new look on the Corvette. It looks too much like any other Japanese car... which is not a bad thing, in itself..
but Corvette has now lost that unique look it had up until just a couple of years ago...

This week:

Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins

Dammit, Jerry, try to make your Mandingo lust for Perkins a little less obvious, would you?

Ha ha!!

I just like the 'Vette better than the concept Camaro.

And I love Corvettes even when they go through a period of years when they don't look so good to me.

Love the 1953 thru 1967 Vette.
Not the 68 - thru 82 Vettes

LOve the 1983 thru 2004 Vettes

Not the 2005 - and up Vettes.

But, sigh.. they are still Corvettes, damnit!

Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-19 6:17 AM
Ideally, a 1971 Dodge Charger with a 426 Hemi would make a great KITT!

But, they already used a 1969 Dodge Charger in " The Dukes Of Hazard."
Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-19 6:23 AM
Ideally, a 1971 Dodge Charger with a 426 Hemi would make a great KITT!

Sure...if the show were set in 1971.
Posted By: Beardguy57 Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-19 6:30 AM
Dude, classic cars RAWK, totally!
Posted By: Cowgirl Jack Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-23 6:04 AM
More stuff on the new KITT

...I'm actually thinking now the Mustang wasn't so hot an idea.

Dear God, I'm becoming an old school purist. Next I'll be complaining about the Camaro Bumblebee.

I'm just saying, it is possible to stick with a hot-looking black Pontiac.
Posted By: Cowgirl Jack Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-25 3:46 AM

I admit, that's pretty hot...
 Originally Posted By: Cowgirl Jack
More stuff on the new KITT

...I'm actually thinking now the Mustang wasn't so hot an idea.

Dear God, I'm becoming an old school purist. Next I'll be complaining about the Camaro Bumblebee.

I'm just saying, it is possible to stick with a hot-looking black Pontiac.

Yeah.

A Trans-Am would have been nice.
Posted By: Cowgirl Jack Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-25 4:24 AM
That's actually the G6 Street Edition. They took a G6 coupe, stuck a more manly engine inside and a hammerhead spoiler on the back. Pretty nice little car, IMO...
That's actually the G6 Street Edition. They took a G6 coupe, stuck a more manly engine inside and a hammerhead spoiler on the back. Pretty nice little car, IMO...

I wasn't mistaken.

I was just saying out of all the Pontiac cars to me the Trans-Am would make the most sense to become KITT.

after all, it's what the Bandit drove.
East bound and down, Loaded up and truckin.

We gonna do what they said that can't be done.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-25 6:17 AM
We've got a long why to go and a short time to get there.
I'm east bound just watch ol'Bandit run.
Posted By: Cowgirl Jack Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-25 6:48 AM
Yeah...I've never actually seen that movie...Burt fights crime, right?
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-25 7:12 AM

Burt is crime. That's why he's the Bandit in Smokey and the Bandit.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-25 7:23 AM
Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-25 9:18 AM

Burt is crime. That's why he's the Bandit in Smokey and the Bandit.

Yep. Basically "Smokey and the Bandit" was the original "Dukes of Hazzard." Burt ("Bandit") and Jerry Reed ("Snowman") played good old boy bootleggers running illegal alcohol (in that case, "bootleg" Coors beer) while staying one step ahead of the bumbling Sheriff, Buford T. Justice.

Note: I realize that "Dukes" was actually an adaptation of a film called "Moonrunners" (1975). However, the TV show (1979) came about in no small part due to the success of the "Bandit" movie and seemed to borrow it's tone more from "Bandit" than the "Moonrunners" movie. That, and the need for a quick descriptive metaphor, are why I described "Bandit" thusly.
Posted By: Cowgirl Jack Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-26 1:10 AM
This entire time I thought Bandit was the name of the car...
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-26 8:20 AM

I thought we taught you better than that.
Posted By: Cowgirl Jack Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-27 4:24 AM
Wait, I don't get why they were driving bootlegged Coors. I mean,Prohibition was like fifty years before Burt, right?
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-30 1:17 AM
For some reason until the 80's it was illegal for Coors to be sold east of the Mississippi River. Don't know why other than because it's shit beer.
Posted By: Rob Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-30 1:30 AM
i think that was made up for the movie, no?

i know it was strictly a west-coast beer for awhile, but i didn't know there were actual legal limitations on distribution, just financial (and/or managerial)
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-30 1:51 AM
I think it was due to tax laws and such rather than a prohibition one. You're supposed to pay a special state tax on alcohol in each state. Since Coors didn't brew in the east, it was illegal to bring the untaxed beer into a state for distribution. Mississippi still has a similar law that keeps out microbreweries from other states.
Posted By: Cowgirl Jack Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-30 7:34 PM
...but...but...beer is the right of all sentient beings...

Didn't know about the tax laws. Speaking of beers and locations, have any of you guys found Land Shark outside of Florida? It looks like Corona, but tastes so much better.
Posted By: Rob Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-30 10:27 PM
like mr pibbs!
Posted By: rex Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-30 10:31 PM
Doesn't everything taste better than Corana?
Posted By: PJP Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-30 10:33 PM
 Originally Posted By: rex
Doesn't everything taste better than Corana?
never heard of her....does she not wash her vagina?
Posted By: rex Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-30 10:37 PM
She tastes better than her sister, Corona.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-30 11:37 PM
...but...but...beer is the right of all sentient beings...

Didn't know about the tax laws. Speaking of beers and locations, have any of you guys found Land Shark outside of Florida? It looks like Corona, but tastes so much better.

Saw it in a store in Louisiana yesterday coming back from Texas. I think I've seen it here too. I'm more of a dark beer drinker, so I haven't tried it.
Posted By: Rob Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-31 11:27 PM
KITT vs. KITT Spec Breakdown
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-31 11:29 PM

Kamphausened!
Posted By: Rob Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2007-12-31 11:44 PM

Kamphausened!

ahh... it was actually this post that contained the duplicate link i missed. i just saw the purdy pictures, instead.

but you missed it to, while trying to point it out.

thats ...not normal.

"DOcT0RzeD!!"
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2008-01-01 1:35 AM
Actually, no, I had the right post. CJ's post #900954 on page 3 of this thread, which is what I linked to. Or is the board not working properly for you?

DOUBLE Kamphausened!
Posted By: Rob Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2008-01-01 6:36 AM
don't blame me cuz you can't use default board settings and link to things properly back here in the year 2007
Posted By: Rob Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2008-01-01 6:37 AM
"DOcT0RzeD!!"
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2008-01-01 10:02 AM
don't blame me cuz you can't use default board settings and link to things properly back here in the year 2007

So you're saying it's the shitty board setting now, eh?

You, sir, are a paper tiger.
Posted By: Paper Tiger Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2008-01-01 3:28 PM
grrrrrrr
Posted By: Rob Re: Knight Rider: The Next Generation - 2008-01-02 1:41 AM

So you're saying it's the shitty board setting now, eh?

its your custom settings! they're suspect. suspect!

You, sir, are a paper tiger.

that is mean.

Originally Posted By: Paper Tiger
grrrrrrr

see? mean.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-07 7:41 PM
Kilmer Replaces Arnett As Voice Of The KNIGHT RIDER Car
  • Val Kilmer ("Comanche Moon") has replaced Will Arnett ("Arrested Development") as the voice of KITT The Car in NBC’s new “Knight Rider” TV-movie. Arnett had to pull out because his contract with General Motors (he voices GMC Truck commercials) prohibited his voicing the Ford Mustang at the center of the project, due to air Feb. 17.

For those just joining us, the new “Knight Rider” was written by David Andron, who wrote an episode of NBC’s short-lived “Raines,” and directed by Steve Shill, who previously helmed episodes of the 21st century updates of “Dragnet” and “Night Stalker.”

The new project is the latest in a series of “Knight Rider” revivals that includes “Knight Rider 2000” (1991), “Knight Rider 2010” (1994) and “Team Knight Rider” (1997).
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-07 7:46 PM
COME ON!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-07 8:53 PM
Holy shit! How sour has Kilmer's career turned for him to accept this job?
Posted By: Rob Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-07 8:59 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53
COME ON!

heh.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-07 10:25 PM
Seriously, I think Kilmer can pull it off. He's got that arrogance that the original KITT had, so he might be a good fit. Here's to hoping that he uses his Doc Holliday voice.

The new project is the latest in a series of “Knight Rider” revivals that includes “Knight Rider 2000” (1991), “Knight Rider 2010” (1994) and “Team Knight Rider” (1997). [/list]

Knight Rider 2000 was great, a fun movie.
Team Knight Rider also had its moments.

Knight Rider 2010 was one of the worst pieces of shit I have ever seen. I was excited for a sequel in the same sense as 2000 and ended up with a post-apocalyptic desert world and some kind of super (non-talking) car in the hands of rebel fighters. Or something like that. I never got past the 30 minute mark, and normally I stick with movies all the way through. But it was just that bad.
Posted By: PCG342 Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-07 10:48 PM
... He's got that arrogance that the original KITT had...

Best compliment ever.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-07 10:50 PM
I remember that as part of Universal's 'Action Pack' where they were testing new ideas with TV movies each week. They brought back the Bandit and kicked of the Kevin Sorbo Hercules. But, yeah, that movie was ass. I, like you, expected a continuation of the franchise and not some half-assed reboot with a terrible concept. And, I think, the car talks later when he implants the mind of his dead girlfriend into it. GAY!
Posted By: Pariah Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-07 10:53 PM
It didn't even have her personality. I think she referred to herself as "her prison."
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-07 10:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: PCG342
... He's got that arrogance that the original KITT had...

Best compliment ever.

Ummm.... how?

Everything I've read about Kilmer says he's an arrogant mother fucker. That's why he won't return to his two greatest roles in his entire career: Chris Knight of Real Genius and Nick Rivers of Top Secret!.
Posted By: PCG342 Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-07 10:56 PM
It was a joke, Doc.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-07 10:58 PM
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
It didn't even have her personality. I think she referred to herself as "her prison."

GAY!

I just remember catching the end of it flipping through the channels after having turned it off about an hour before because of how god awful it was.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-07 10:59 PM
It was a joke, Doc.

No... no, it wasn't.
Posted By: PCG342 Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-07 11:00 PM
I'm sorry, sir.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-08 12:16 AM

I don't know if it's a question of "sour." Some of these voice over gigs pay well and its not completely embarrasing to do one.

At the time he originally played KITT, wasn't William Daniels was a fairly successful and respected actor for his work on "St Elsewhere"?
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-08 12:32 AM
I'm talking about Kilmer's reputation for being high and mighty on himself. It would seem like the guy who has tried to distance himself from his Real Genius role wouldn't be too fond of voicing a talking car.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-08 2:05 AM
Who cares. The thing will bomb faster than Bionic Woman...
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-08 2:41 AM
Posted By: the G-man Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-08 2:41 AM
Not necessarily since: (a) this is a TV movie, not a series; (b) the Hoff makes a cameo, which tends to indicate a certain respect for fans of the original not found in the BW TV series.
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
"Dipshit Knight Rider" has a nice ring to it.

They cast rex as Knight Rider?
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-11 4:35 AM
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
Who cares. The thing will bomb faster than Bionic Woman...
Are you upset 'cause Sackhoff wasn't calling herself Starbuck in this series?
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-18 7:30 PM
So, did anybody watch this last night?
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-18 7:51 PM
It was a joke, Doc.

Once again, someone needs to understand the concept of what a joke is.
A joke is not you telling everyone its a joke to cover your pointlessly stupid posts.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-18 7:57 PM

I don't know if it's a question of "sour." Some of these voice over gigs pay well and its not completely embarrasing to do one.

I tend to agree.
Back before the 90s, any actor going from the movies to tv was considered as taking a step back, but sometime during the 90s it became merely a sideways step, with some actors getting paid as much for tv as they would for a movie.

Lets face it, would anyone say Keifer Sutherland on 24 was a step back?

If its specifically the voice bit, is voicing a car really that different to voicing an animal or car in Dreamworks or Pixar film?

I would say though, Knight Rider tv movie is not the project I would want to associate my sideways career step with, as lets face it, theres more chances it will stink than be good!

I will be interested to hear what people (not Pro as he is notoriously cranky) think about this when they see it!
I'm sure it'll be online soon though!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-18 8:19 PM
 Originally Posted By: Nowhereman

I tend to agree.
Back before the 90s, any actor going from the movies to tv was considered as taking a step back, but sometime during the 90s it became merely a sideways step, with some actors getting paid as much for tv as they would for a movie.

If its specifically the voice bit, is voicing a car really that different to voicing an animal or car in Dreamworks or Pixar film?

I'm talking about Kilmer's reputation for being high and mighty on himself. It would seem like the guy who has tried to distance himself from his Real Genius role wouldn't be too fond of voicing a talking car.

I would say though, Knight Rider tv movie is not the project I would want to associate my sideways career step with, as lets face it, theres more chances it will stink than be good!

I will be interested to hear what people (not Pro as he is notoriously cranky) think about this when they see it!

I've got it downloading at home right now, but the place I got it from didn't have many seeders just yet as it had just aired hours before I began downloading. I'm willing to give it a shot. I didn't totally pan Knight Rider 2000 as much as that damn thing was lacking; so I'm willing to give this one a go.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider 2008 - 2008-02-18 9:46 PM
Apparently, the show got very good ratings and some people are predicting NBC will put it into production as a series.
Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man Re: Knight Rider 2008 - 2008-02-18 9:58 PM

I tend to agree.

yeah at some point in the last 10 or so years tv became respetable. I think it was HBO and other cable networks started doing their higher quality shows and forced the networks to keep up.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-19 1:58 AM

I watched the first fifteen to twenty minutes. The moment they introduced us to the "kewl renegade" Michael (waking up in bed with no less than two hot women, of course), I nearly puked up a wad of cliches that I swallowed in the early 90's, and quickly turned the channel before any electronic device could accidentally count me in the "ratings".

Pure. Crap.

Thanks for asking...
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-19 2:12 AM
See, cranky!
Posted By: Cowgirl Jack Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-19 2:13 AM
Well, I liked it. I even laughed at the Ford commercials. There's something funny about KITT hitting on Michael's date by saying 'I have keyless entry'.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-19 2:24 AM
I thought it was pretty decent, though sandy... errr I mean pro is certainly entitled to dislike it!
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-19 2:27 AM
Hmmm, who do I listen to, the baldy cranky cunt or the tits and the gaylord?

The problem is here that the gaylord kinda negates the tits.
We need more tits!
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-19 2:29 AM
well you're always welcome to keep at harley about it - we've seen how well that works...
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-19 2:29 AM
And how many emails has she sent you?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider 2008 - 2008-02-19 3:13 AM
This is one of those times where my age difference with most of the rest of you is pronounced. I was already in college when the original show first aired, so I have absolutely no memory of seeing it whatsover.

I mean, I might have seen it, but I was too drunk to remember.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Knight Rider 2008 - 2008-02-19 6:12 AM
I'm not even comparing it to the old series. I'm comparing it to anything reasonably digestible as fiction. This is crap. The fact that Sammitch actually likes it should more than prove my point...
Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider 2008 - 2008-02-19 6:15 AM
Fair enough. I didn't see the show last night. I was just observing that it's funny for a guy my age to hear people talk about the original show with such nostalgia.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Knight Rider 2008 - 2008-02-19 6:50 AM
I'm not even comparing it to the old series. I'm comparing it to anything reasonably digestible as fiction. This is crap. The fact that Sammitch actually likes it should more than prove my point...

where crap equals anything not lining up exactly with pro's tastes. surprise. I'm just saying if you take it in its context for what it is, the product of nostalgia and product placement filtered for an audience that was in diapers for much of the first time around, it's not really as bad as you make it out to be. at least if you stick around for the whole thing, anyway.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Knight Rider 2008 - 2008-02-19 6:51 AM
You tell him Steve Dave!
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Knight Rider 2008 - 2008-02-19 6:51 AM
and by the way, nowie, the hoff does indeed have a cameo near the end.
Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man Re: Knight Rider 2008 - 2008-02-19 2:28 PM

i've heard that voiceover work "doesn't count" towards an actor's reputation. which is why big stars do car commercials.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Knight Rider 2008 - 2008-02-19 5:11 PM
HOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: notwedge Re: Knight Rider 2008 - 2008-02-19 5:25 PM
I watched it. Igt could have sucked more and a lot of the acting was pretty awful. I spent most of the movie wishing KITT would have been played by GOB.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Knight Rider 2008 - 2008-02-19 5:29 PM
It wasn't good.

And that's coming from a man who was once a huge fanboy for the original series. Fact is they brought back elements that were better left in the 80's while leaving out other elements that would have made ex-fans like myself fall in love again.

I do not approve.
Posted By: Glacier16 Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-19 5:58 PM

I watched the first fifteen to twenty minutes. The moment they introduced us to the "kewl renegade" Michael (waking up in bed with no less than two hot women, of course), I nearly puked up a wad of cliches that I swallowed in the early 90's, and quickly turned the channel before any electronic device could accidentally count me in the "ratings".

Pure. Crap.

Thanks for asking...

Posted By: PJP Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-19 9:55 PM
I watched Family Guy and American Dad then caught the last 20 minutes of KITT. I didn't watch enough to have an opinion either way.
Posted By: notwedge Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-20 12:11 AM
 Originally Posted By: The New Adventures of Old PJP
I didn't watch enough to have an opinion either way.

Prometheus did the same and then posted his opinion.
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-20 2:24 AM
That's how they roll in Canada.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-20 4:34 AM
Ok, just watched it. The acting wasn't very good. The plot was pretty similar to an episode of the original series. The special effects were pretty good as was Kilmer's voicing of KITT. The dialogue could use a good bit of work as well. I think the main problem is that they tried to get too hip and trendy with it. Beyond Mike bagging two chicks at once, the main FBI chick is a lesbo. They had to show that right out of the gate. And, apparently, instead of KITT backing out of a semi truck, he backs out of a cargo plane. ........... Whut? Not too impressive, but not bad enough for me to ignore the inevitable series that's going to come out of this.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-20 5:39 AM
 Originally Posted By: notwedge
 Originally Posted By: The New Adventures of Old PJP
I didn't watch enough to have an opinion either way.

Prometheus did the same and then posted his opinion.

Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
That's how they roll in Canada.

Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-20 6:19 AM
The special effects were pretty good as was Kilmer's voicing of KITT.

Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2008-02-20 6:49 AM
You know bsams making photoshops of movies you saw on Comedy Central today doesn't make you cool!

Best,
Non
Posted By: Rob Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2008-02-20 6:49 AM
if that doesn't... then what does..?
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Knight Rider: The Movie - 2008-02-21 9:26 PM
Being able to name all three Sannin, I'd say!
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-25 3:54 AM

Not great, not total garbage.

I watched a replay on NBC last night and I got the feeling they stretched it out to get to the two hour mark.

Just remember you are watching Knight Rider and not Hamlet.

The hardest part for me was that the main baddy was on an episode of Seinfeld.

He played a clothing salesman and dates Elaine, who doesn't want him to think she's dating him for a discount at his shop.

If it becomes a series, I liked it enough to watch an episode or two.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-25 5:21 AM
HASSELHOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-26 2:13 AM
nowhereman is hooked! hoff be praised!
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-26 2:14 AM
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-26 2:16 AM
perennial chart-topper!
i finally got around to seeing this. pretty good, val kilmer was perfect for KITT and the two main leads were good, especially that cute science chick.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-27 7:56 PM
They reran this on one of the cable channels this weekend. I watched about five minutes of this when my wife walked in.

Her: "What are you watching"?

Me: "Knight Rider."

H: "What's it about? Why is no one driving the car?"

M: "It's a show about a guy with a talking super car that fights crime."

H: "You're kidding."

M: "No. It was a big hit in the 80s. This is a remake. Val Kilmer's in it."

H; "He plays the guy?"

M: "No, he's the voice of the talking car."

H: "Who plays Knight Rider?"

M: "Some guy. Looks like they got him off a soap opera."

H: "Where is he if he isn't driving?"

M: "I'm not sure. I just tuned in."

H "If the car can talk and drive itself, why does it need the guy?"

M: "I dunno. Ballast?"

H: "Change the channel. There HAS to be something on better than this."

Posted By: notwedge Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-27 8:01 PM
Your wife sounds like a bitch.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-27 8:02 PM
Nah. It really did kind of suck.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: Gob out of Job as KITT - 2008-02-27 8:36 PM
"Ballast?"

Posted By: the G-man Re: Knight Rider 2008 - 2008-03-31 4:17 PM
Apparently, the show got very good ratings and some people are predicting NBC will put it into production as a series.

It’s Official: NBC Is Making Another KNIGHT RIDER Series
© RKMBs