Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Box Office Miracles

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Mel Gibson (news) turned water into wine at the North American box office as the faithful flocked to watch the writer/director's controversial labor of love, "The Passion of the Christ," over the weekend.

The gritty movie, which revolves around the last 12 hours of Christ's life, sold an estimated $76.2 million worth of tickets for the three days beginning Feb. 27, officials for the film said on Sunday -- the seventh-best three-day opener of all time, and the best for a new release in February.

Since opening on Wednesday, "Passion" has grossed $117.5 million, which included about $3 million worth of group sales for preview screenings the prior two days. The tally represented the second-best for a Wednesday release, behind only 2003's "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" with $124.1 million in its first five days.

However, the Friday-to-Sunday sum for "Passion" beat the equivalent three-day haul for "The Return of the King" of $72.7 million. The three-day record of $115 million is held by the 2002 hit "Spider-Man."

"Passion" also ranks as the second-best R-rated opener, behind last year's "The Matrix Reloaded" with a three-day sum of $92 million.

giant picture
Rob #16566 2004-03-01 1:49 AM
希望の戦士
2000+ posts
希望の戦士
2000+ posts
It comes off as a slaughter and mutilation movie with Jesus' name thrown into it later.

They could have at least tacked on an hour or so for those who don't know as much of who Jesus was and what he was all about.

Rater R? Who'd bring their child to watch this?

I can read a gospel for an hour without fainting.

God speaks to us through his word.

My head still hurts.

I hope you're happy with yourself, Mel. You should leave it to the Professional (notice the 'P' is capitalized)

There is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes, and maybe it’s too much for us, but it’s all on you. Because if we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we’ll avenge it.

Hello?
Put Natasha on the phone.
Who is this?
This is her fucking son's father. Who is this?
This is her fucking son.
..........oh.......
Call back in 20 minutes. *click*

Boy, you could get lost in a sky like that. I wish I had those balloons again.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I and my daughter were leaving the theatre Saturday having seen MYSTIC RIVER. I was gently accosted by a nice lady who had fliers for THE PASSION...she asked if I'd seen it. I said no. She offered me a flyer and asked me to see the film and to come to her church to discuss the film. I told her she was welcome to offer me whatever literature she wanted, but that I would do neither of what she requested. She withdrew the flier.

It was all kept pleasant. But I thought if it she was willing to enter my personal space to speak to me about whatever and to make a request of me, then she should be willing to hear my response on this particular request.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Jackson; 2004-03-01 4:09 PM.

We all wear a green carnation.
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

McGurk said:
It comes off as a slaughter and mutilation movie with Jesus' name thrown into it later.

Well put!

In fact, the whole movie seemed like it was trying to do the torture/execution scene from BRAVEHEART all over again, except with much more violence and blood added in. We really didn't learn much about what Jesus was like in this film at all.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
would you have preffered they had dumbed down what he went through? im just curious, from what ive read Gibson was trying to capture the sacrifice he gave, and merely showing a sad man hanging from a cross like past depictions, doesnt really express the sacrifice....

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
"In fact, the whole movie seemed like it was trying to do the torture/execution scene from BRAVEHEART all over again"

Why not...William Wallace was a martyr for the Scottish cause, Jesus was a martyr for the Christian cause...

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Well, it was dumbed down, in a way, since it put so much into depicting torture of various kinds but gave very little time to developing Jesus as a person or even showing what his message was.

The violence didn't bother me in the least. And that's what bothered me about the film. I didn't feel sympathy for Jesus during all this. I felt sympathy for Mary, for his disciples, and for other characters, but I felt like Jesus in this movie was fairly undefined. It's a flaw in the script, IMO, not a flaw in the source material (which wasn't written for entertainment).

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
That's about the only flaw I did see in the film, however. There were some very interesting bits in there, particularly concerning Judas, as well as the Devil (who looked strangely like David Bowie in his '70s drag phase).

Did anyone who saw the movie understand the thing with the ugly baby that the Devil was carrying? I was wondering about that for quite a while, but I figured just now that it must be symbolic of the Anti-Christ.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:
It's a flaw in the script, IMO, not a flaw in the source material (which wasn't written for entertainment).

And neither is this movie. It's made for the people who know about Jesus's life. The point was to show what he went through to save the human race.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
it seems tt missed the whole point of the movie, this wasnt a life of movie, this was a very specific piece about the pain and suffering that was endured.....

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

The Time Trust said:
It's a flaw in the script, IMO, not a flaw in the source material (which wasn't written for entertainment).

And neither is this movie. It's made for the people who know about Jesus's life.

Not to be sarcastic or anything, but what are people who don't know about Jesus's life supposed to make of it? I understand his significance to Christianity, but other than that, when I go to see this movie, it sounds like I'll be watching nothing more than a brutality fest without a real understanding who Jesus was, and I think that's too bad.

Last edited by Darknight613; 2004-03-02 3:50 PM.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Not to sound sarcastic back, but this movie isn't for you. It's for people who already know the story of Jesus and his life. The point Gibson wanted to make was to show those of the Christian faith how much Christ sacrificed and suffered for them. This movie has a very specific audience. Just like some movies may pander to the teen or college crowd, this movie is made specifically for the people of the Christian faith. It's a tool to help drive home what Jesus's Passion means to them and their lives. It's not a tool to help with people who do not study Christianity understand it or to convert.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
But is that what Christians are to remember about Jesus? That basically he took a lot of abuse at the hands of the Romans? That's the only message the movie sends. It doesn't get into his teachings, his life, his relationships, his Resurrection. It's just an in depth analysis on how Mel thinks the Crucifixtion went, and I don't consider him an authority on the subject.

Nice CG effects of demons, but I don't recall reading in the Bible any accounts of demons appearing anywhere at this time, so Mel took some liberties here.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
Well I never read the bible (long story) and I am not Christian (even longer story) but I did understand the movie and thought it interesting to start the movie when it did. I tried to watch the movie from an objective point of view (my father had tried using it as a way to convert me to Christianity) I enjoyed it for what it was, a movie. It was very emotional, it was touching and regardless if it was true or not or if it was the correct interpretation of the bible or not, is not for me to say. All I know was that it was a movie that made me think and made me feel.

And the fact that the actor that played Jesus (I forget his name) learned Aramaic, was struck by lightning (while on the cross), dislocated his shoulder (when he was being crucified) and suffered a host of injuries from the elements as well as overzelous actors and stunt peoples all because he felt passionately about the project made me look at it on a religious and philosphical level. I'm still not Christian, but I have a new found understanding and respect for Christ.

I have lots of friends that are Jewish. Some saw many problems with this movie and some didn't. I know that there has been an outcry by a lot of Jewish people about this movie. I had a friend, who is Jewish tell me that he felt that the movie accurately portrayed Christ's last 12 hours, according to the bible. He enjoyed the movie and left it at that. That to argue that the movie was painting the Jews to be horrible people was to argue religion and that was not the point of the movie. The movie was to entertain an audience. Nothing more.

...and Mary Magdelane was hot.

-----
Shiny!
100+ posts
100+ posts
Now, I haven't seen this yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the real reason Jesus doesn't seem like a character in this movie is because he's played by Jim Caviezel, who has the presence and emotional range of a wet piece of cardboard.
I keep wondering how the hell that guy keeps getting work. He makes Keanu look like a legitimate actor.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

jafabian said:
But is that what Christians are to remember about Jesus? That basically he took a lot of abuse at the hands of the Romans?

It's one of the things that Christians are to remember. His sacrafice is very important to the faith as it is a symbol of his love of all man that he gave his life to cleanse us of our sins.

Note, though, that this isn't the only thing Christians are supposed to remember. There is no Cliff's Notes to the Bible. Christians are supposed to remember it all. (I say all this knowing that I am no theologian with in depth study of the Bible, but I believe even so that such a point has been made clear through my own personal study so far.) As I said before, this movie is not a biography of his whole life or the founding precepts of his teachings; but it is, instead, a film to stir up the emotions of Christians in relation to the Crucifixion and just what that sacrifice entailed. We are about 2000 years seperated from this event, and the power of the visual can help reaffirm the written word.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Not to sound sarcastic back, but this movie isn't for you. It's for people who already know the story of Jesus and his life. The point Gibson wanted to make was to show those of the Christian faith how much Christ sacrificed and suffered for them. This movie has a very specific audience.

You make it sound like an art film. No, Gibson's intent is to spread the Gospel. He may want to preach to the Choir, but considering the buzz he's been trying to generate, he wants this thing to be seen by believers and non-believers.

Jim

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Gibson said "The Passion is a movie meant to inspire, not offend. ... My intention in bringing it to the screen is to create a lasting work of art and engender serious thought among audiences of diverse faith backgrounds (or none), who have varying familiarity with this story."

You have to already know the story to be able to follow this movie. If you have no clue, then you won't walk away with much of anything.

100+ posts
100+ posts
Quote:

jafabian said:
Nice CG effects of demons, but I don't recall reading in the Bible any accounts of demons appearing anywhere at this time, so Mel took some liberties here.

The Gaderene swine?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Gibson said "The Passion is a movie meant to inspire, not offend. ... My intention in bringing it to the screen is to create a lasting work of art and engender serious thought among audiences of diverse faith backgrounds (or none), who have varying familiarity with this story."

You have to already know the story to be able to follow this movie. If you have no clue, then you won't walk away with much of anything.

Most everyone in the Western World has "varying" familiarity with the story.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Which means he's not trying to spread the Gospel. He intends for his audience to already know it. He's trying to illustrate the power of what Christ went through.

Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
I'll agree with that...

-----
Shiny!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
See! Stareena agrees with me!

What more does a man need?

Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
See! Stareena agrees with me!

What more does a man need?

:Blushes:
Thanks Doc....

-----
Shiny!
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He just tryin' to get in your panties. Like every other hetero man on the planet...

TK-069 #16590 2004-03-03 10:40 PM
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
Except the men in the Maryland area....

-----
Shiny!
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Hello? Mary-land? Land of the Mary Sissy Boys?!

TK-069 #16592 2004-03-04 12:17 AM
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
Something like that....

-----
Shiny!
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
I's knew it!

希望の戦士
2000+ posts
希望の戦士
2000+ posts
Quote:

TK-069 said:
He just tryin' to get in your panties. Like every other hetero man on the planet...

Don't be silly. Even if he could orchestrate such a clever plan, Mel Gibson doesn't even know Stareena!

There is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes, and maybe it’s too much for us, but it’s all on you. Because if we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we’ll avenge it.

Hello?
Put Natasha on the phone.
Who is this?
This is her fucking son's father. Who is this?
This is her fucking son.
..........oh.......
Call back in 20 minutes. *click*

Boy, you could get lost in a sky like that. I wish I had those balloons again.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

TK-069 said:

HEY! Haven't you read the 11th commandment, "Thou shalt not block thy neighbor's game"?

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Who's blockin' who?! I've been trying to get in her pan... *ahem* I've had a friendship with Star far longer than you, Doc!

Don't make me quote scripture, young man! Don't make me!

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Quote:

McGurk said:
Don't be silly. Even if he could orchestrate such a clever plan, Mel Gibson doesn't even know Stareena!

He will in Lethal Weapon 5: I'm Too Old For This Shit!

TK-069 #16598 2004-03-05 10:47 AM
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Saw it a few days ago. Was raised Catholic but not a very active member in the past 5-6 years. This film was intense though. I dont know if it was because of my upbringing or not but I thought it was pretty heavy on the senses. Not an easy feat for me. I am curious though how I would recieve it from a non-christian POV. I dont know if i'd even like it.

I'd recommend it just for the experience. Like it or not, I would definitely say it's not a waste of time. I myself thought it was killer.

25+ posts
25+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:

Seems like you're making a bit of a stretch there doctor. Mel's quote doesn't seem near as restrictive (audience-wise) as your interpretation is. I didn't see any signs at my local theater that said "only for christians & those with a healthy understanding of christianity". Nor did I see that in any of the print or TV ads. Didn't even see Mel try to make that arguement in the handful of interviews I've seen.

Maybe what you mean is you have to be a christian to interpret the movie in the way in which you (the doctor) did, or possibly, in the way Mel intended it to be interpreted?

Not trying to pick a fight, just having trouble following your reasoning.

Cheers!

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wingnut-EL said:
Seems like you're making a bit of a stretch there doctor. Mel's quote doesn't seem near as restrictive (audience-wise) as your interpretation is. I didn't see any signs at my local theater that said "only for christians & those with a healthy understanding of christianity". Nor did I see that in any of the print or TV ads. Didn't even see Mel try to make that arguement in the handful of interviews I've seen.

Since Gibson's original idea was to release the film with no subtitles and only the Aramaic and Latin speech, I stand behind my statement that a beforehand knowledge of the Gospels in necessary to watch the film and come away with the understanding of the event that Gibson was trying to bring home. Did he forbid anyone else from seeing it? No. Did people who have never followed the life of Christ have problems understanding the movie and following it? From personal testimony I've heard, yes.

I'm not saying that no one can watch this film, I'm just saying that a lot of people on this board aren't understanding the point of it. They are trying to look at it as if it was any other movie like Lord of the Rings or The Matrix when it is not. You can't compare a movie by standards that it does not even attempt to follow. It's not something for you to watch while munching popcorn and trying to get to first base with your girlfriend. It's not entertainment. It's something for you to think about and apply it to your understanding of Christianity. If you have no understanding of Christianity, then the effect of the movie is not going to be as powerful or the same.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
In all honesty, I watched the movie because I thought "Mel Gibson's Passion" was a softcore porn movie starring Mel.

I asked for my money back.

25+ posts
25+ posts
Fair enough. I haven't seen the film yet, hopefully I 'll be able to discuss it in more detail once I have. Cheers!

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
I've heard is a hard film to sit through. The Romans' torture is pretty explicit. "Ecce Homo".

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Do not be tricked by Dave's sales pitch - there's nothing gay about the film at all!

There was a lot of male half-nudity but nothing explicitly homo. Caligula...now there's a real gay movie!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard