Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
OP Offline
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
IWws totally prepared to hate it...Affleck is a bitch...turned out to be better than Spider-Man (IMHO) of course, I'm really not so H but, it lools good in the acronym...

SPOILERS (Or maybe not...I was never sure what really constituted an "according-to-Hoyle" SPOILER....do I actually have to quote dialouge or just describe a scene? Sometimes, I've seen spoilers described as some guy who just said "I liked..." whatever it was he was talking about. So, I posted "SPOILERS"...(even though I am late and by the time most of you read this, you'll have seen the flick already....)

If it seems like I am posting too much expostion for a simple message board movie review, forgive me...Valentine's Day is kicking my ass and I've been drinking...heavily

Anyhow, the tone of the movie was pretty dark. I thought it was pretty true to the tone that Miller established for DD's character. MCD as Kingpin was soo cool!! He was just the right amount of menacing crossed with "charming" to make you believe in the character. Plus, the ending scene between him and DD looked very real, given MCD's size and musculature.

Elektra was cool...even though I think J. Garner might just be the least attractive leading actress in Hollywood. She was pretty tough looking (even though she's not that cute) and you could tell she practiced the sai moves quite a bit. She was definitely better that Halle or Framke in X-Men{/i].

Colin Farrel as BULLSEYE made the whole fuckin' move!!!! Farrell played him as THE JOKER to the Dardevil's BATMAN. He was just silly enough, just skilled enough, just scary enough and just psychotic to work for this flick. Farrel lplayed him way over the top but, nowhere near as shitty as DeFoe played Green Goblin.

Affleck did an okay job as Murdock/Daredevil. Didn't suck, didn't excel. He was just a big name to bring a certain demographic to the flick that might not otherwise see it. Definitely overshadowed by Colin Farrell...in much the same way as The 1st Bat-flick was more about Nicholson than Keaton.

Overall, I give the flck and 8...I didn't like all the CGI (Check the first fight scene...it was hard to distinguish and a little too much as an establishing premise)...Affleck was merely adequate...Garner was nowhere near good-looking enough to play Elektra (even though she was fit enough)

That said, The tone of the movie fit the character...DD's Catholicism was played up if not directly mentioned...his origin was pretty close to the comic....the radar sense was well shown and explained....Jon Favreaux as Foggy was true to the comic...MCD was excellent as The Kingpin (Hopefully putting the whole Black-Actor-Portraying-a White-Character argument to rest)...DD's acrobatic skill was well shown (except for some poor CGI...Spidey did it better{must have been a function of budget})....Bullseye was a worthy villain...one scene in particular was straight out of the comic involving Bullseye and Elektra (I'll let you geuss what I'm talking about)

Overall...I'm really loving the fact that movies based on comics are staying true to the original source material. I only hope that the next Bat-Man or Superman movie are made with similar vision.

Last thoughts....the trailer for [b]The League of Extraodinary Gentleman
looked GREAT!!!! As did the one for X-MEN 2. If they inprove the CGI on THE HULK, this is going to be a great summer for comic geeks and the movies.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
I agree with you on all points Bastie. The CGI was horrible in some parts ('member the Blade/Nyssa fight sq. near the floodlights in Blade II? That bad.), the fights were too "airy" during some moments, and the best characters were the villians. Colin was the best casting decision for this movie, then I'd say Favreau and MCD.

I still say Damon woulda been a better DD...

And Chow Yun Fat as Stick.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Hmmm, sounds good. I may have to wait until after the weekend to see it...Valentine's Day and all.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Fine. I'll see it. Jerks. [...rassamnfrackin...]

AGW Offline
400+ posts
400+ posts
I do so hope I'm not the only person who thought this movie was a big let down. There was no real plot, the characters were just plain silly (and Farrel was the only actor on set who seemed to realize just HOW silly this was), and it just wasn't true to form. I felt like I was watching Batman 3 all over again.

Whoever wrote this script made off like a bandit. I didn't count, but I'd be willing to bet more words are spoken in the first fifteen minutes of your average TV show episode. It seemed to be just about enough to fill just over one comic book issue, maybe (but probably not) two.

And talk about cheesy one liners! "Bullseye!"??? Come on, how many times are they gonna say, "Stay with me"? Yeah, it's a DD-Elektra "thing"... I get it. How could Affleck keep from laughing his ass off. Maybe he's a better actor than I thought.

All in all, it's not really as bad as all that. I actually found the special effects very entertaining. I just wish there had been more substance and a little less fluff.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I agree with Basti!

Send more Absolut!!!

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
imma see it regardless of what i hear -- but its good to hear from reliable comic fans that its good. my first impressions from the trailers were that it looked nice, but i've slowly become more and more disappointed from what i've seen.

regardless, ill give it a whirl with open eyes, prolly tonight.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
I saw it last night... I thought it was great.

Affleck was ok, as DD. He looked great in the suit, like the comic character. I must say when he was following Elektra, trying to talk to her, he seemed kinda sleezy... Ben Affleck in Mallrats sleezy.

I honestly didn't think the CGI was that bad. Blade II's was atrocious... and unnecessary at times, as if we need a CGI swordfight.

I was so excited to see the LoEG trailer... after it I could hear people saying things like "O...k..." Makes me think that every review will make fun of the title.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
what is LoEG?

500+ posts
500+ posts
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I thought it was LXG?!?!?

Anyway Affleck was really the only miscast character but he did a good job...but personally I kept seeing him telling Elektra "I wanna be your last call of the day"

Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Well, I saw this last night with Pat...and it wasn't too, too bad. If I had to rate this movie, I'd have to give it **1/2 out of *****.

Loved Colin F. as Bullseye (he kinda stole the show though hehe)...and Garner wasn't too bad as Elektra...better than Affleck I think. MCD as the Kingpin...man, that was nice.

That's about all I've got to say.

The somewhat random
2000+ posts
The somewhat random
2000+ posts
I liked it and yes bullseye rawked! so I guess I wont make a review about this one is all here! I give it a 3 stars

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
But I liket he star system you had with the pictures!

The somewhat random
2000+ posts
The somewhat random
2000+ posts
HERE YA GO! [biiiig grin]
 -

I'm Brian Fellow!
400+ posts
I'm Brian Fellow!
400+ posts
Blind people can't see, that's crazy!

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Crazy like a fox!

100+ posts
100+ posts
Farrel was fuckin great!

"u made....me miss!!" was the best line in that movie.

The somewhat random
2000+ posts
The somewhat random
2000+ posts
PLUS HES HOTTER THAN BEN [humina humina] [humina humina] (for my taste anyway)

Link Copied to Clipboard