Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Snapman Offline OP
1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
This is just to point out to some of the conservatives here that liberals aren't the only ones acting like assholes:

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/news/040912/sticker.shtml

And a followup with a happy ending:

http://www.newsday.com/news/politics/ny-usjob173974923sep17,0,390908.story?coll=ny-prezelection-headlines

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I believe it's ilegal to fire someone for that reason, so I wouldn't put much stock into this. He'll get his when the time coems.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I guess we'll just have to take the woman's word for it. I've never known anyone to be dishonest about the reason they were fired, so we can just assume it happened exactly as she said it did.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
You never know though. She might just want attention for herself, or she might want to try and get the Kerry campaign's name out there. Kind of a "look at me, I'm supporting Kerry." type thing.

btw, Snapman, that second link doesn't work, unless you have to sign up to read it, if that's so, I'd rather not sign up for yet another newspaper site just to read 1 article. I'd suggest copy and pasting it here.

100+ posts
100+ posts
I can see absolutely no reason for her to lie. None.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
You never know though. She might just want attention for herself, or she might want to try and get the Kerry campaign's name out there. Kind of a "look at me, I'm supporting Kerry." type thing.

I doubt it. That's a pretty high price to pay for attention or a publicity stunt, don't you think? Losing her job without a guarantee of getting rehired, either at her own job or somewhere else?

Also, this story has been around for about a week, and I've yet to hear anything that disproves this story in any way.

Last edited by Darknight613; 2004-09-24 6:47 PM.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
Snapman Offline OP
1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
I guess we'll just have to take the woman's word for it. I've never known anyone to be dishonest about the reason they were fired, so we can just assume it happened exactly as she said it did.

You have a point, but if the woman is lying about being fired, why isn't the owner bothering to comment on the situation? Surely he can provide his side of the story and refute her claims. Not returning phone calls isn't a good move on his part.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Quote:

Batwoman said:

I doubt it. That's a pretty high price to pay for attention or a publicity stunt, don't you think? Losing her job without a guarantee of getting rehired, either at her own job or somewhere else? Would you throw away your job, your only means of support, just to support your candidate or get a few minutes of attention?

Also, this story has been around for about a week, and I've yet to hear anything that disproves this story in any way.

I'm not saying ti's true, I've been fired from enough jobs for the dumbest reasons, I'm saying you never know. The way this campaign's been going, I wouldn't put it past certain people to try and pull a stunt like this. After all, if this is all a pulicity stunt, then they could be paying her for it.

just a thought....

Snapman Offline OP
1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Batwoman, I'm not subscribed to Newsday and I can see it fine. It may be because the link was screwed up when I pasted it.

But for your benefit, here:

Quote:

Woman fired over Kerry sticker now works for candidate

By Paola Singer
Washington Bureau

September 17, 2004

WASHINGTON -- Lynne Gobbell's decision to stand up for her political beliefs turned her life around in less than a week.

On Sept. 9, she was fired from an Alabama insulation company for refusing to remove a John Kerry sticker from her car's rear window, and left with an uncertain future.

A few days - and a couple of newspaper articles later - Gobbell found herself getting a job offer from Kerry himself.

When Gobbell, 41, returned to her Moulton, Ala., home early this week after a discouraging meeting with her former employer, she picked up the phone to hear Kerry's voice.

The Democratic presidential candidate told her he regretted what had happened to her, Gobbell said. "He said he was proud of me for standing up for what I believed in," she said.

Near the end of their short conversation, Gobbell said Kerry told her, "You let him know you work for John Kerry. You're hired."

Kerry was referring to Phil Geddes, head of Enviromate, a Moulton company where Gobbell had worked on the production line. Geddes reportedly told Gobbell she could work for his company or for Kerry when she declined to remove a Kerry insignia from her car.

Chad Clanton, a Kerry campaign spokesman, said the Massachusetts senator read about the episode in an Alabama newspaper.

Gobbell said she was approached by a plant manager, on behalf of Geddes and told she had to remove the Kerry-Edwards campaign sticker or be fired.

"I told him that Phil couldn't tell me who to vote for," she said.

Gobbell said she then went to see Geddes at his office and confronted him about the situation. "I own this place," she said he replied, and told her to "get out."

Unsure what he meant, Gobbell asked her boss whether she was fired and was told, "I'm thinking about it ... get out and shut the door," she said.

Moments later, a plant manager told her she was fired.

Geddes was not available for comment yesterday.

When asked about firing an employee for displaying a political decal, Frederick Schauer, a Harvard professor and First Amendment expert, said, "As a non-government job, the First Amendment in the strict sense does not apply."

A week before she was fired, said Gobbell, Geddes had attached a letter to employees' paychecks extolling the Bush administration's tax policies.

As news of the incident spread this week, Gobbell said she received phone calls with offers of financial support from different parts of the world.

She said the Kerry campaign offered her the same salary she received at Enviromate, plus health benefits, which she did not have. Asked about her duties, she said she "will be answering phones and spreading the news about John Kerry. There might be a little travel later on."
Copyright © 2004, Newsday, Inc.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Quote:

Batwoman said:

I doubt it. That's a pretty high price to pay for attention or a publicity stunt, don't you think? Losing her job without a guarantee of getting rehired, either at her own job or somewhere else? Would you throw away your job, your only means of support, just to support your candidate or get a few minutes of attention?

I'm not saying ti's true, I've been fired from enough jobs for the dumbest reasons, I'm saying you never know. The way this campaign's been going, I wouldn't put it past certain people to try and pull a stunt like this. After all, if this is all a pulicity stunt, then they could be paying her for it.

just a thought....

It's possible - but if this whole thing was rigged and prearranged, I have a feeling someone would have found out about it and leaked it. You can't keep a secret like that in a campaign this ugly.

Also, the woman ended up at a new job with the same salary and health benefits. Doesn't sound like much of a payoff. If she got a raise, or a cushier gig, I'd be more skeptical about her motives. And there's no mention of her being paid a secret bonus, which I doubt could go unnoticed. I'm sure there are people who monitor stuff like this and look for evidence or possibilities of payoffs. We would have probably heard about it if there was a payoff.

Also, just a random thought: Wasn't there a similar discussion on whether or not the incident with a Bush/Cheney sign being ripped out of a little girl's hands was rigged or not?

Last edited by Darknight613; 2004-09-24 6:59 PM.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Yeah it might have just been a screwed up link.

Thanks though!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Quote:

Batwoman said:

I doubt it. That's a pretty high price to pay for attention or a publicity stunt, don't you think? Losing her job without a guarantee of getting rehired, either at her own job or somewhere else?

You're assuming that if she made up the story she did so BEFORE she got fired. I think IF she made up the story it would have been after she was fired

"Well, I just got fired, what do i tell my friends and family. Should I tell them I was fired for gross incompitence, or because I'm a political martyr?"

Now, I'm not saying that she did make up the story, what I'm saying is that if all we have is her say so, then we have no story.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Snapman Offline OP
1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Now, I'm not saying that she did make up the story, what I'm saying is that if all we have is her say so, then we have no story.

I think if she did make it up, her boss could sue her for slander. Since nobody from the other side has come forward to dispute this claim as of yet (this story is almost two weeks old), and no lawyers have come forward from the other side discussing legal action, there's not much reason to deny the woman's telling the truth.

Look how quickly the Republican side came forward to dispute the National Guard papers. Like Darknight613 said, no one has disputed anything about this woman.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Like I said, it was a thought, nothing I know for sure or will claim to know for a fact.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Snapman said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

I think if she did make it up, her boss could sue her for slander. Since nobody from the other side has come forward to dispute this claim as of yet (this story is almost two weeks old), and no lawyers have come forward from the other side discussing legal action, there's not much reason to deny the woman's telling the truth.

Look how quickly the Republican side came forward to dispute the National Guard papers. Like Darknight613 said, no one has disputed anything about this woman.

Would you agknoledge that even if true this story doesn't have quite the same ramifications as the Bush documents. This woman doesn't even have documents or a whitness. Just because the owner refuses to respond to what a woman says doesn't make it true, he could possibly just not want to be a part of a media circus. I would direct the challenge back. If the story is true, why doesn't the woman sue? If she has proof she would win and get a hefty chunk of money.

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
I dunno why some of you conservatives here are at pains trying to refute this story when for the past year over on the Yahoo news boards, there's been a few conservative nitwits proudly boasting/spamming about how they 'fired a "liberal"'.

When i read this story, that was the first thought that came to mind. I guess it went from spamming message board boasts to reality for at least one jerkoff. But the sentiment and mindset from some on the right that "liberals" need to 'punished' has been there for a while if you bothered to look.

Snapman Offline OP
1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
Like I said, it was a thought, nothing I know for sure or will claim to know for a fact.

That's OK. You have a right to question the story. Especially since, as wbam points out, we've heard nothing from the other side about the issue. But the other side hasn't said one thing to dispute this, so I have to assume it's true.

Snapman Offline OP
1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Would you agknoledge that even if true this story doesn't have quite the same ramifications as the Bush documents.

Of course it doesn't (I didn't even hear this story until over a week after it was reported). The point of the post was just to point out an example of Bush supporters discriminating against Kerry supporters, since there's quite a few posts about the opposite case around here.

Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
This woman doesn't even have documents or a whitness.

That was something I didn't think of when I posted; only that the other side hasn't commented.

Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Just because the owner refuses to respond to what a woman says doesn't make it true, he could possibly just not want to be a part of a media circus.

But it can't help him to allow a woman to slander him without defending himself, or discussing his side.

Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
I would direct the challenge back. If the story is true, why doesn't the woman sue? If she has proof she would win and get a hefty chunk of money.

The woman stated she's strapped for cash. Unless Kerry's campaign lends her a lawyer for free and promises to reimburse her for lost work time while a trial goes on, I doubt she's going to take up valuable money or time with a court case.

Even she said she would return to work at her old job because she needed the money.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
In regard to snapman's post, I doubt that this woman would have too much difficulty finding an attorney to take her case on a "contingency fee" basis. As such, I don't think we can explain her failure to file a lawsuit on that factor.

With that being said, however, I don't dispute that this incident probably occurred. On the other hand, there really is very little import to this case for either side.

A woman was fired. Her employer acted boorish, at best.

Neither Bush nor Kerry directed their respective supporters' actions and there is no evidence that this sort of thing is widespread in either campaign.

Simply put, this story is a non-issue.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

whomod said:
I dunno why some of you conservatives here are at pains trying to refute this story when for the past year over on the Yahoo news boards, there's been a few conservative nitwits proudly boasting/spamming about how they 'fired a "liberal"'.

When i read this story, that was the first thought that came to mind. I guess it went from spamming message board boasts to reality for at least one jerkoff. But the sentiment and mindset from some on the right that "liberals" need to 'punished' has been there for a while if you bothered to look.

I'm not trying to refute it as false, I'm just saying that it's a non story, because there isn't acctually evidence. And I do this having not visited or cared about the yahoo messege boards or the nitwits who post there. I'm sure there are conservitives who feel libs need to be punnished and visa versa, but if you're going to report it as a news story, get a tiny bit of acctual evidence.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

whomod said:

What are you smoking? None of us are saying it didn't actually happen the way the woman claims it did, what I did was say, what if that's not true?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Yea, we're not saying it it's false, there's really just no way to tell, you have to decide to take this woman's word or not.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
New question, is it OK for eployers to bar capaign solicitations (signs stickers) from thier own property?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Absolutely.

It's their property, their establishment, they should have the right to decide how it's represented.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
Absolutely.

It's their property, their establishment, they should have the right to decide how it's represented.

I think one thing that stood out to me int eh story was the woman's reaction to being told to remove a sticker. She said "you can't tell me who to vote for".... well, he wasn't. Perhaps she was fired for being beligerant. I run my buisiness in a very liberal area so I don't have any stickers on my car. If I hired a cleaner and he wanted to deck his car out with Bush stickers, I would definately rather he didn't because it would hurt buisiness.

Last edited by wannabuyamonkey; 2004-09-25 5:45 PM.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I agree. As long as an owner doesn't discriminate in the hiring of an employee, I have no problem with the owner requesting the employee perform in a way that best represents the business.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Good point about a business owner/manager not wanting political slogans on their property. But I'm not sure if that should extend to an employee's car.

For example, I wouldn't have a problem with an employee not wanting Kerry signs on a cubicle. I've known of employees placing restrictions on what's appropriate for display in cubicles. A bumper sticker on a privately owned car...that might be going a bit far.

Snapman Offline OP
1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
I don't mind if they're disallowed as long as it's company policy. Though it was never indicated that was the case in the story.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I wasn't saying it was the case, I just thought it was an interesting disscusion question.

Link Copied to Clipboard