Next Thread
Print Thread
JQ Offline OP
2000+ posts
OP Offline
2000+ posts
Quote:

Suicide bomber's home razed

The Israeli army demolished the home of a 16-year-old Palestinian suicide bomber who killed three Israelis when he blew himself up in a Tel Aviv open-air market.

BY ALI DARAGHMEH

Associated Press

NABLUS, West Bank - The Israeli army destroyed the home of a teenage suicide bomber Tuesday despite his mother's public and impassioned criticism of the group that sent her son on the deadly mission.

Israeli military officials acknowledged the woman's grief, but insisted the policy of demolishing bombers' houses is necessary to deter more attacks. The militants who sent the teenager said they would try to rebuild the family's home.

The incident focused new attention on an Israeli policy that has drawn criticism from Palestinians and human rights groups, which say tearing down homes amounts to collective punishment.

After the demolition, the bomber's mother, Samira Abdullah, backed off her criticism of her son's handlers, saying her anger had subsided and praising the teenager as a hero.

The about-face underscored the complexity of Palestinian feelings over suicide missions -- a mixture of support for attacks on Israel, unease with the growing use of teenage bombers, fear of crossing militants and a sense of dread over harsh Israeli reprisals.

On Monday, Abdullah's son, 16-year-old Eli Amer Alfar, blew himself up in an open-air market in Tel Aviv, killing three Israelis and wounding more than 30 others.

The victims were identified as Shmuel Levy, 65, a retired engineer who immigrated to Israel from Bulgaria in 1989; Leah Levine, a 67-year-old Holocaust survivor and folk dancing teacher; and Tatiana Ackerman, 32, a Russian immigrant who left a husband and 12-year-old daughter.

Israeli troops on Tuesday razed the home of Alfar's family in the Askar refugee camp near Nablus in the West Bank. Alfar's family of 12, including his parents and six siblings, had removed their belongings ahead of the demolition.

The army also destroyed the homes of two senior members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, the radical PLO faction that claimed responsibility for the blast.

Over the past three years, the army has demolished more than 612 homes of Palestinian militants involved in attacks on Israelis, according to the Israeli human rights group B'tselem. It said 3,900 people were left homeless.

Capt. Sharon Feingold, an Israeli army spokeswoman, called the demolitions ``part of our policy to deter families from letting their children carry out attacks. We think this is very effective.''

Monday's attack was the 117th suicide bombing since the outbreak of Israeli-Palestinian fighting in 2000 and the first since Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat left for France last week for medical treatment.

In all, 494 Israelis have been killed in the attacks.

I can kind of understand the sick logic: Don't commit terrorism, or we'll terrorize the family you have left. But it doesn't strike me as a justifiable means to fight terror. All they're doing is pissing people off more, and it's not hurting terrorists, only grief-stricken mothers.

I heard a radio commentater use the term "the Jews have learned well from their Nazis" around the time Israel started building that wall. The controversial quote seems to be a little less controversial than I had previously thought.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Yea, I was sickened when I first read about the walls that were built by the Nazis.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
these guys were Nazis Walter?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
"No, Donny. These men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of."

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Tearing down the home of a suicide bomber? Makes sense to me. The bomber doesn't need it anymore.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
JQ Offline OP
2000+ posts
OP Offline
2000+ posts
Your fucking retarded. It obviously wasn't his home anymore, he's fucking dead. Glad you figured that out. But he was only 16, which means his mother was still living there.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
well she raised the little bastard.....

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

JQ said:
Your fucking retarded. It obviously wasn't his home anymore, he's fucking dead. Glad you figured that out. But he was only 16, which means his mother was still living there.

but she did get a stipend of 20,000 from Arafat.... oh wait, no he didn't HE'S DEAD!

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
JQ Offline OP
2000+ posts
OP Offline
2000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

JQ said:

but she did get a stipend of 20,000 from Arafat.... oh wait, no he didn't HE'S DEAD!

That wouldn't be a good thing. A more fundamental group would probably emerge.

THE Franta
3000+ posts
THE Franta
3000+ posts
I can see the idea behind it...most suicide bombers do so because their families are rewarded by the group that sent him on his mission....punish the family for his deed and suicide bombers might think twice...

YOU PUT SOUP IN IT!
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
I consider myself liberal, but i agree with what they did, as BSAMS said, they did raise that child so they have the same beliefs, so i agree with what they did, the family is just as responsible as the bomber since they harboured the bomber and supported it. They deserve to be punished.

The Leg Breakerer: Kung Fu Masta!!!
JQ Offline OP
2000+ posts
OP Offline
2000+ posts
What fuck do you mean they did raise the child so they have the same beliefs. You obviously need to take some sort of sociology class. There are people that are born with mental defects or disorders, either that or the boy may have had some sort of outside influence. Sharon's policies only breed terrorism.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
There is nothing new in most nations about holding adults responsible for the criminal acts of their minor children.

And, with all due respect, its quite likely that the average teenaged suicide bomber was raised by people who tolerated, if not encouraged, the concept of the Islamic martyr dying for the cause.

So don't waste your tears.

THE Franta
3000+ posts
THE Franta
3000+ posts
Its beyond placing blame on the parents...its also preventitive measure as the bombers go on the suicide mission in order for favors to later be granted to the families in alot of cases anyways.

YOU PUT SOUP IN IT!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
plus have you ever watched a bulldozer tear down a building, its cool as hell!

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Something to think about.

In America, if a person is convicted of murder, he goes to jail (if he is not in a death penalty state, etc.).

Now, let's say the person is sentenced to life without parol. Let's also say that there is aboslutely no doubt that this guy did it, evdence including video, DNA, eye-witness testimony, the guy is guilty. Period.

Now, let's say this person has a family. He is a husband and a father to, oh, say three young children.

He was also the only bread winner. His wife was at home while he worked his ass off to make just enough money to put food on the table and clothes on their backs.

But, he murdered someone. Brutally. By law, he must be removed from society because he has proven that he cannot live in it.

What happens to his family?

They now have no money. The wife has to raise three young children on her own. She needs to find a job. She needs to find day care. Oh, and she does not have any formal education beyond a high school diploma.

To put it bluntly, the family is fucked.

But, are we supposed to aquit the bastard because his family needs him?

What it comes down to, is that he made a conscious choice to commit murder. He has to pay. As a consequence of his actions, his family pays as well. In this case, they are not at fault. In fact, they are victims of his choice.

The law is the law.

You don't murder. Period.

The Israelies put this policy into place to tell these punks that if they blow themselves up and hurt or kill innocents as a result, there are very real consequences to their actions.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

100+ posts
100+ posts
This would be like bulldozing the childhood home of Washington or Lincoln.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
or Gary Coleman!

100+ posts
100+ posts
These are the people who hijack the word patriot and liken compassion to child-molesting. And they are unknowingly bin Laden's chief recruiting officers.

JQ Offline OP
2000+ posts
OP Offline
2000+ posts
Quote:

Franta said:
Its beyond placing blame on the parents...its also preventitive measure as the bombers go on the suicide mission in order for favors to later be granted to the families in alot of cases anyways.

I'm not denying that favors are sometimes granted to the families. That's why it should be based on a case to case basis. There are going to be a lot of innocent people having their lives ruined by both sides (Israelis and Palestinians). I don't believe that the Israelis should sink to such a low level as to destroy a grief-stricken mothers home who has publicly condemned the organization who sent her "child" on a suicide mission. Israel needs to reconsider this policy. Or atleast ease it up so that they make the decision on a case to case basis.

Why did the Israelis have to move into a place that would cause them, and the world a lot of trouble?

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
JQ, did you not read my post?

RDCW Profile

Link Copied to Clipboard