Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
2000+ posts
OP Offline
2000+ posts

Last edited by the G-man; 2004-11-12 5:44 PM.

The Leg Breakerer: Kung Fu Masta!!!
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
amazing!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
As a civilization, we are receding on a daily basis...

We all wear a green carnation.
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Wow......just, wow.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

You do realize, of course, that you set yourself up for a great hairline joke, right?

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Okay, this is kinda crossing the line here.

I can understand wanting to prevent abortions. I'm all for that. But here's a possibility - by denying birth control medication, pharmacists could force an unwanted pregnancy onto someone, which could lead to an abortion, or to someone being stuck with a kid that the mother might not be able to take care of properly, or even afford (it used to cost $100,000 to raise a kid to the age of 18. I'm sure that number's gone up).

Are druggists covered by the Hippocratic Oath? Because if they are, I think this can be seen as a violation of "do no harm" in some respect.

Last edited by Darknight613; 2004-11-10 6:46 PM.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

You do realize, of course, that you set yourself up for a great hairline joke, right?

What about my hairline?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Oh nothing. It's nicely tucked away .

The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
I don't agree with at all with the morning after pill. It's so wrong to kill a baby after it's already been fertilized/created! I'm all for other birth control pills. It helped my mom regulate her monthly cycle and kept her from having children until she and my dad could afford to.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Oh nothing. It's nicely tucked away .

It had outlived its usefulness...

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

PrincessElisa said:
I don't agree with at all with the morning after pill. It's so wrong to kill a baby after it's already been fertilized/created! I'm all for other birth control pills. It helped my mom regulate her monthly cycle and kept her from having children until she and my dad could afford to.

I agree. But is this only affecting the morning-after pill, or all borth control pills? The article seemed kinda vague about that.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

PrincessElisa said:

The morning after pill does not cause an abortion. It stops the egg from getting fertilized.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Quote:

PrincessElisa said:

I agree. But is this only affecting the morning-after pill, or all borth control pills? The article seemed kinda vague about that.

The tenor of the article suggested pharmacists playing the Morality Police and imposing their own senses of morality on how they would or would not dispense completely legal pharmaceuticals.

While this may sound shocking...I understand the plight of say the Catholic pharmacist required to dispense pills that violate his/her own personal faith. Perhaps the observant Catholic should not choose pharmacy as a career (as much as an observant Jew should not choose to run a Hoggy's restaurant).

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
If a pharmacist did not want to distribute birth control pills, that would be fine. It keeps importent medicine from women with hormonal and vaginal problems, but that too is fine. So long as they inform their customers before cutting them off and there is another pharmacy the customers can go to.

On a side note, the fact that the woman missed a pill due to not getting her Rx filled that day is a pet peeve for us at College Pharmacy. It's a problem exaserbated by the fact that we compound perscriptions, but sometimes we don't have one-day turn around (for example when there is a shortage or backorder of a drug necessary for the perscription).
I implore you:
For commercial items, even if you want same-day pickup, please order your refils with at least two days' worth left of your old perscription.
For compounded items, call one business week in advance.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
2000+ posts
OP Offline
2000+ posts
Quote:

PrincessElisa said:

A fertilized egg is not a baby

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Quote:

PrincessElisa said:

doesn't matter, their the esact same this just one has a higher dosage per pill.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

winged creature said:
Quote:

PrincessElisa said:

A fertilized egg is not a baby

The morning after pill prevents the egg from being fertilized. Stop trying to bait her into an abortion agruement.

2000+ posts
OP Offline
2000+ posts
hey im just telling it as it is from a scientific perspective

The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
I disagree winged Once it's fertilized it is my opinion being the Christian I am that "it" becomes a baby!

And it's alright Rexy As I understood it, the morning after pill is like a mini-abortion before the baby is fully formed. I still think it's wrong anytime after fertilization. It's a human life.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
This is just wrong. And now that they are going after birth control, they are directly challenging women's rights. I don't believe a woman has the right to an abortion unless her life is in danger or she was raped, but I do believe a woman has the right to choose when she gets pregnant, or if she gets pregnant.

But, there is more to this than birth control pills. If pharmacists can deny a medication based on their own personal moral code, then what's to stop them from denying other medications they don't agree with? What if they don't like to prescribe oxicoton because it's extremely addictive? That's just one example. I'm sure there are others.

My point is, doctors prescribe drugs for a reason. We can't have pharmacists questioning doctors.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
What?! This is America. If a pharmacist wants to not sell a specific drug due to personal preferance, that's fine. The customers have hundreds of other pharmacies to go to.

Pharmacies already limit the drugs they sell. If something only can be purchased in bulk and the customer only wants a couple doses the pharmacy either sends the customer to a different pharmacy that does have the drug or buys it from the other pharmacy themselves and then sells it to the customer.

Pharmacists have doctorates too. They have their doctorates in medication, drug interactions, etc. They shouldn't be forced to do something they believe to be wrong just because 'a doctor prescribed it.' The doctor is not higher in any way to a pharmacist. They are both highly trained in their fields.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I went to a pharmacy to get a prescription and they didn't even carry the medicine I needed. I agree with Ushci that they can sell whatever they want, but if they're going to refuse they should let people know right off the bat.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

PrincessElisa said:
I disagree winged Once it's fertilized it is my opinion being the Christian I am that "it" becomes a baby!

And it's alright Rexy As I understood it, the morning after pill is like a mini-abortion before the baby is fully formed. I still think it's wrong anytime after fertilization. It's a human life.

no its not life. lets say rex knocked you up. that fertilized egg couldn't survive outside the womb.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
Quote:

PrincessElisa said:

no its not life. lets say rex knocked you up. that fertilized egg couldn't survive outside the womb.

A fish can't survive outside of water, does that mean it's not alive? A baby couldn't survive naked outside in the dead of winter, is it not a life? The fact that you refer to it surviving at all suggests that it's alive.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
When are people going to realize that other people have different opinions on when life begins? All I ask is for people to recognize facts and to respect other peoples opinions.

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
Quote:

PrincessElisa said:

A fish can't survive outside of water, does that mean it's not alive? A baby couldn't survive naked outside in the dead of winter, is it not a life? The fact that you refer to it surviving at all suggests that it's alive.

well a fish is developed, a fertilized egg isn't.

a fertilized egg has no ability in function, its a sack that can't survive

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
I promised myself that I would not get into any prolonged argument about abortion ever. But I just have to let you know that that's one of the most asinine posts I've seen you make on the subject.

Thas'all.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
this is bullshit. My ex has to take birth control pills because she has a hormonal problem and can develop cysts in her uterus. We weren't having sex, but she had to have the pill for medical reasons. I remember the first time she discovered the problem, and I was extremely afraid because of all the pain she was in. Should she have to suffer because some asshead pharmacist wants to enforce his/her belief on her? Hell no.

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
absolutely not

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
well a fish is developed, a fertilized egg isn't.

a fertilized egg has no ability in function, its a sack that can't survive

But that's not what you said. You said it wasn't alive.

2000+ posts
OP Offline
2000+ posts
It may be alive but all it really is, is a sac of cells, scientifically speaking at such an early stage it cannot be considered to be human, it just a cluster of cells, that are not developed. The argument could be made that we are also a sac of cells, but we are developed. If we were to isolate a small portion of our cells and place them on petrie dish would you call that a human being, no you wouldnt even though they are living cells, the same goes for a fertilized egg. That is all.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

winged creature said:
It may be alive but all it really is, is a sac of cells, scientifically speaking at such an early stage it cannot be considered to be human, it just a cluster of cells, that are not developed. The argument could be made that we are also a sac of cells, but we are developed. If we were to isolate a small portion of our cells and place them on petrie dish would you call that a human being, no you wouldnt even though they are living cells, the same goes for a fertilized egg. That is all.

So I could kill you right now and call it an abortion?

Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
A "retroactive abortion".

Uschi said:
I won't rape you, I'll just fuck you 'till it hurts and then not stop and you'll cry.

MisterJLA: RACKS so hard, he called Jim Rome "Chris Everett." In Him, all porn is possible. He is far above mentions in so-called "blogs." RACK him, lest ye be lost!

"I can't even brush my teeth without gagging!" - Tommy Tantillo: Wank & Cry, heckpuppy, and general laughingstock

[Linked Image from i6.photobucket.com]
2000+ posts
OP Offline
2000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
Quote:

winged creature said:

So I could kill you right now and call it an abortion?

Im developed i have the abilility to reason, i feel pain, i have emotion, to kill me you'd kill a developed organism. While merely a fertilized egg thats just 2 cells that have been fused. Killing a fertilized egg is liking killing a small amount of cells on my body. So if u really want to equate a developed organism with 2 cells, thats really up to you.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
And thats how some people feel about abortion. They think you are killing a feeling and thinking person.

2000+ posts
OP Offline
2000+ posts
yes but 2 cells cant think or feel. but they are entitled to believe what they want im just expressing my opinion

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
but it has no emotion, no thought and can't function and its not developed

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
But it is developing. It will eventually be a living breathing thinking person.

2000+ posts
OP Offline
2000+ posts
key word it will be, but at that stage it isnt

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
but it has no emotion, no thought and can't function and its not developed

So you're telling me that people with disabilities which result in their brain not fully developed as an adult, means they're not alive? They're not human? According to what you just said, thats true.

Also, if remember correctly, the heart is the first organ formed. I hate to break this to you, but it's been proven that life begins at coneption.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard