Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm not saying that Christians are a swaying minority, I'm saying that if you put together all the different minorities and hold it up to the Christian amount, you have a rival votes. If Clinton's appealing to the minorities, it doesn't take a genius to know which side of the equation is going to vote for him moreso. And I don't think it takes organization to have that number vote is all I'm sayin'.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
OP Offline
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
What the hell was the point of this? Yes, Clinton appealed to minority. And yes, if all the black people united they could overthrough the US.

Bow ties are coool.
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
You're still here?

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
OP Offline
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:
You're still here?

Are you?

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
What the hell was the point of this? Yes, Clinton appealed to minority. And yes, if all the black people united they could overthrough the US.

Minorities did unite and they got him elected. My point was that they didn't have to be organized.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Seriously. This is the first time that I've ever tried to engage in serious posts on these boards. I've spent a good two hours defending my beliefs and views against three or more people who disagree with me.
Considering that you rightwingers are in the majority on these boards, why can't you stand the dissenting voice?

Debating ideas is not the same as stifling dissent.

Unless you're a moderator, I don't see how you could stifle dissent here.

We all wear a green carnation.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
OP Offline
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Seriously. This is the first time that I've ever tried to engage in serious posts on these boards. I've spent a good two hours defending my beliefs and views against three or more people who disagree with me.
Considering that you rightwingers are in the majority on these boards, why can't you stand the dissenting voice?

Debating ideas is not the same as stifling dissent.

Unless you're a moderator, I don't see how you could stifle dissent here.

It was the more the point of being "attacked" for having an opinion that went against the more rightwing posters. I was engaged in several debates and then saw on the deep thoughts forum an entire thread devoted to insulting me. I don't think the mods were stifling my dissent so much as Pariah and BSAMS,
But I will say that despite my disagreeing with them, G-man and wannabuyamonkey acted like adults in responding to my opposing views and I respect them for that.

Bow ties are coool.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
[It was the more the point of being "attacked" for having an opinion that went against the more rightwing posters.

Well, yeah, I feel I get that all the time. I'm quixotic, what can I say?

We all wear a green carnation.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Arnold [has] been at war with nursing groups. They want more staffs at county/city/state (government funded) hospitals while Arnold refers to them as "special interest groups" and actually said he'd "kick their butt."

By definition, they are a special interest group.

Any group that enters the political debate in order to advance their own personal agenda/benefit is a "special interest group."

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
OP Offline
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Arnold [has] been at war with nursing groups. They want more staffs at county/city/state (government funded) hospitals while Arnold refers to them as "special interest groups" and actually said he'd "kick their butt."

Any group that enters the political debate in order to advance their own personal agenda/benefit is a "special interest group."

I think you can't use a blanket term to cover people lobbying for tobacco companies and nurses lobbying trying to improve hospital care.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Quote:

the G-man said:

Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
I think you can't use a blanket term to cover people lobbying for tobacco companies and nurses lobbying trying to improve hospital care.

Both the tobacco companies and the nurses' union are lobbying their own interests, namely, policies and programs that benefit themselves personally/financially.

I realize that the nurses' union is going to say they are "trying to improve hospital care," but find me one shred of evidence that their view of what "improves hospital care" doesn't involve higher salaries and/or better working conditions for themselves.

And even if we take them at their word, the fact that their particular "special interest" might have a positive effect in addition to a 'selfish' one, that doesn't mean that they aren't a textbook special interest group.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
I don't think the mods were stifling my dissent so much as Pariah and BSAMS,

You got a very odd definition of "stifling". Me and BSAMS addressed your points and kept the bulk of the insults (rightfully placed) in seperate posts.

I already told you ad nauseum what kind of crap you pulled. Quoting sources that aren't actually quoted and making them out to be your argument, which was blatantly ignorant. I already told you exactly what it was that wrong inside those threads, so please to whine to me about posting examples.

500+ posts
500+ posts

Poll: Arnold's Popularity Plunges

Hasta la vista, baby.

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Great point! by showing an image demonstrating that Arnold doesn't have the phisique of a 20 year old you truly make an excellent political point.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I assume Id is simply demonstrating that dissenting views that make a coherent point are, in fact, welcome here, while those are nothing but "political spam," are not.

fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
Dissent is fun.

People always get so angry over little things.

Seriously, though I've stopped doing it (mainly because I'm trying to focus on my writing more) I have participated in discussions here because I thought some people just needed pissing off

Racks be to MisterJLA
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Thank you for that.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
be thankful your posts didn't get deleted

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
On-topic posts, even if somewhat confrontational, would not get deleted.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Chant said:
Dissent is fun.

Seriously, though I've stopped doing it (mainly because I'm trying to focus on my writing more) I have participated in discussions here because I thought some people just needed pissing off

They sure do! I have seen many friendly forums turn into a life or death struggle to put someone down and call them names just because they don't agree with someone else's point of view.

This is unwarrented, IMO, and I feel others could excercise a bit more tact when disagreeing in here.

I disagree with many opinions in these forums, but feel it is unnecessary to resort to insults just to make a point.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:
be thankful your posts didn't get deleted

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

This is unwarrented, IMO, and I feel others could excercise a bit more tact when disagreeing in here.

That's bull and you know it. What kind of crazed fanatic are you. I hate people who don't agree with me because they're wrong (and therefore evil)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

That's bull and you know it. What kind of crazed fanatic are you. I hate people who don't agree with me because they're wrong (and therefore evil)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally one of you is getting it

anyway, I hope that (most of) you are aware which of my posts were serious and which were not.

I feel that sometimes people need pissing off because they'll realize what it is they're doing.
I know I'm as stubborn as a stubborn donkey, and many of you here are at least just as stubborn.

Racks be to MisterJLA
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

LoL!!!!!

life." - Tuvok.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Bullshit.
You've deleted my posts before. Stop lying and fuck off.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

100+ posts
100+ posts
I think conservitive thought is a mental disorder and should be treated as such.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Finally the voice of reason.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Quote:

Chant said:
Dissent is fun.

They sure do! I have seen many friendly forums turn into a life or death struggle to put someone down and call them names just because they don't agree with someone else's point of view.

I disagree with many opinions in these forums, but feel it is unnecessary to resort to insults just to make a point.

It may not be neccesary, but throwing insults around is certainly fun

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Quote:

Chant said:
Dissent is fun.

It may not be neccesary, but throwing insults around is certainly fun

I agree, Magic Jay, as long as people don't get carried away with insults and start angry little vendettas against those they feel have injured their pride here.

Some do. Most don't. Cie La vie.

life." - Tuvok.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

So any post that goes against what you say is deleted?

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Chant said:
Dissent is fun.

True dat.

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That guy really knows how to pack in the work out time if that was taken around the filming of T3.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
OP Offline
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

So any post that goes against what you say is deleted?

That's the way I read it.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
It's probably not actually worth responding to either rex's or r3x's two posts above, however...

I think we all know that, if I actually deleted on-topic posts that disagree with me, there wouldn't be a single post from whomod/unrestrained id/Paul Mandral/etc. left on this board.

Which is obviously not the case.

Which would seem to show that on-topic posts aren't the problem.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
what is the problem? Being a mod of this forum isn't always easy thats for sure. But where do you draw the line. Maybe if you explain it better it would help.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
First off, it's important to remember that the DT forum is bit unique here. Per Rob's directive (see the intro), it's the "Serious" forum. As a result, the moderatin' here tends to be, perhaps, a little more strictly enforced than on some parts of the board.

If it's ON-topic (which includes being, basically, a "deep thought" as opposed to a random chat) unless its wildly offensive or advocates something illegal, in all likelihood its not going anywhere.

If it's OFF-topic, it has a decent chance of getting moved, but not always. One or two "sorta" off topic posts probably won't get moved, unless it looks like a concerted attempt to derail a thread, an probable trolling action or a poster who's been warned.

Deletion doesn't occur that often. It usually has to be pretty bad for that, or obviously reptitive spam, or maybe someone who's been given multiple warnings. A lot of the "deletions" are actually moved posts or threads where the person claiming deletion hasn't actually bothered to check the OT or RC forum to see where it went.

Sometimes threads are split up where I think there are two decent entwined topics that are fighting with each other for attention and a split might stir more discussion for each topics Sometimes I split them so I can keep one thread on topic, whie moving the off topic part elsewhere.

As a general rule, editing is usually done only for clarity or to fix code. Most of the edits that could be described as "content based" are simply things like changing the title of a post, in order to aid the "Search" function or to keep the theme of the thread clear (to help keep it on topic). Sometimes there's a need to edit a post "for work safety" (ie, an offensive pic) but not very often. And to date, I think Wednesday or Rob have done that more than I have.

I realize that sometimes people can differ on what's "on" or "off" topic, as well as what is or isn't offensive, but that's one of the reasons I prefer to move a post or thread. At least that way, you can still read and respond to it.

Which is why I find it so confounding when posters act like moving is the same as deleting.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Ok, G Man, where were my deleted posts in the Generic Gay thread moved to? I might like to visit them from time to time.

life." - Tuvok.

100+ posts
100+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Ok, G Man, where were my deleted posts in the Generic Gay thread moved to? I might like to visit them from time to time.

He kept those for wanking purpouses.

[url=http://www.robkamphausen.com/ubbthreads/...e=0&fpart=2 ]the G-man said[/url]
Wednesday and I have an open relationship. And we believe in sharing.

G-Man "G-gay" points: 2,000,000

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jeff Gannon said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

He kept those for wanking purpouses.

life." - Tuvok.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard