Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

"Congradulations, you managed to discredit yourself in your very first post by decrying an act then doing exactly what you condemned." -wannabuyamonkey

I didn't say that we should never use labels; I meant that we should be careful when we use lables. We should not just assume that an individual's political views are reducible to a stereotype or accept positions/beliefs uncritically because they are presented as the party line.

That being said, I'm only human. Honestly, I was worried that my post would look like I was talking out of both sides of my mouth, but that wasnt my intent. In the last part, I just wanted to express my own insights and opinions about what bugs me today. Maybe I did regress back to hasty generalizations.

Now I would like to explicate the point I was making and add some more info to the discussion about the neo-conservative movement. What Paul Mandral posted is a good historical description of the group, but I wanted to reveal their political philosophy.

Several top Republican officials and strategists (Paul Wolfowitz and Richard Pearl) studied under a man named Leo Strauss at Chicago University during the fifties and sixties. Strauss was a Jewish refugee and philosopher who studied ancient political works like Plato's "Republic." He believed that the job of the philsopher was to protect the masses of humanity from the truth that there is no God, b/c if the masses knew this truth social chaos would ensue (He borrowed this from Nietzsche). The duty of philosopher is to hide and reinforce the "noble lie" or religion to the masses inorder to maintain control. While the majority of people are kept in the dark those powerful enough and intellegent enough to make the decision (the elite) are able to do as they will, making decisions, without feeling the need to explain them to anyone beneath them.

Strauss is not a conspiracy theorist; he is one of the most respected scholars of the twentieth century. As I said, people like Wolfowitz and others in the current administration are avowed followers of Strauss. It is Straussian ideas that influenced the charter of the PNAC; the blueprint for the foreign & domestic policy of our current adminstration that was written in 2000, a year before the election.

I think it is spooky to know that our current leaders believe in a figure who argued that there was no god yet uses religion purely for political ends. The purpose at the end of my post was to say that veil of religosity and morality that some Rebuplicans have veiled themselves in is beginning to unravel. So, sure Liberals might be godless heathens, but how honest do you think conservatives are being?

I am a man with needs. Rack JLA!!!
Kaz Offline
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Congradulations, you managed to discredit yourself in your very first post by decrying an act then doing exactly what you condemned.

Oh, and, SHUT UP, WHOMOD!

You wouldn't have said word one if his comments had taken a shot at liberals.

Don't be condescending. That's G-Man's job.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
But he's g-man junior. He can also be condescending.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
The noobs are comin' out swinging in this thread!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

I was worried that my post would look like I was talking out of both sides of my mouth, but that wasnt my intent.

You should have gone whith your gut instinct.

Quote:

Kaz said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Congradulations, you managed to discredit yourself in your very first post by decrying an act then doing exactly what you condemned.

Oh, and, SHUT UP, WHOMOD!

You wouldn't have said word one if his comments had taken a shot at liberals.

Don't be condescending. That's G-Man's job.

You're right I wouldn't pointed it out, because I am proudly a conservitive. It's thier job to find any errors in the critisism against them, not mine, but I've agknowledged in teh past when people have pointed out hypocracy in teh arguments of some conservitives...... Also if he had also taken a shot at libs then he would have been consistant with his opening thesis so you're also right in that regard.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Feel free to ignore anything wannabuyamonkey has to say. Other than being illiterate, he idolizes the condescending neocon mod of this forum. You can put him on your ignore list by clicking on his name and then clicking the ignore this user link.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
illiterate? hmmm. Anyway, ya know what keeps me from being bitter? Having a job!

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

You're right I wouldn't pointed it out, because I am proudly a conservitive. It's thier job to find any errors in the critisism against them, not mine, but I've agknowledged in teh past when people have pointed out hypocracy in teh arguments of some conservitives...... Also if he had also taken a shot at libs then he would have been consistant with his opening thesis so you're also right in that regard.

Yeah.... that's great and all, but see you never critiqued my arguments; you just stooped to name calling. That's another falliacy, it called an ad hominem attack. But, that's cool if that's where you wanna take the dialogue. Personally, I want someone to challenge my views. That's called a learning experience; judging from what other people have said about you being illiterate I guess you haven't had many of those.

The problem w/ political discourse is that in our contempoary media it never rises above this level. We don't talk about ideas and issues, we just call each other names. That's what I was trying to avoid, but....

Hmmmmmmm, arguing with liberals? Maybe this thread should be renamed arguing with conservatives.

"Sometimes even Christians fuck up. Even their wives." -Rush Limbaugh

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
illiterate? hmmm. Anyway, ya know what keeps me from being bitter? Having a job!

Who said I was bitter? Now you're telling me how to feel? g-man must be proud.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Also, G-Man is a bitch.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:
Personally, I want someone to challenge my views. That's called a learning experience; judging from what other people have said about you being illiterate I guess you haven't had many of those.

There are several posters here that you can discuss politics with. Most of them I don't agree with, but we don't resort to calling each other names.
Unfortunately this forum has way too many alt ids posting in it and g-man attempts to turn every discussion into a liberal conservative flame war.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

There are several posters here that you can discuss politics with. Most of them I don't agree with, but we don't resort to calling each other names.
Unfortunately this forum has way too many alt ids posting in it and g-man attempts to turn every discussion into a liberal conservative flame war.

Thanks for the heads-up I appreciate it. Its cool, nobody's offended me yet. I can take some heat; I just wanted to hold my ground a bit and see if I could elevate the dialogue.

As for the alt-id claim let me say this now. I am a genuine newbie, but I am a friend of Kaz and Fused from way back. Just FYI, I didn't want anyone to think that I am doing anything sneaky.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:
Quote:

Yeah.... that's great and all, but see you never critiqued my arguments; you just stooped to name calling. That's another falliacy, it called an ad hominem attack. But, that's cool if that's where you wanna take the dialogue. Personally, I want someone to challenge my views. That's called a learning experience; judging from what other people have said about you being illiterate I guess you haven't had many of those.

The problem w/ political discourse is that in our contempoary media it never rises above this level. We don't talk about ideas and issues, we just call each other names. That's what I was trying to avoid, but....

Hmmmmmmm, arguing with liberals? Maybe this thread should be renamed arguing with conservatives.

"Sometimes even Christians fuck up. Even their wives." -Rush Limbaugh

OK, I'm glad that you know the term ad-hominim, but you failed to use it properly. You see I did adress your argument rather than your person. I pointed out where you shot down a specific practice then in the same post engaged in said practice. I never callled you names as you claim and never devalued your argument based on your person. All I know about you is the arguments you made. I admit to not adressing teh bulk of your argument, but I thought the blatent contradiction should be addressed first and foremost (I understand however if you'd rather not adress that)

Quote:

judging from what other people have said about you being illiterate I guess you haven't had many of those.

Thank YOU for providing a proper example of an ad-hominim attack. First off teh "people" you refer to is rex.... he's one person. Now since you seem to be smarter than the rest of us perhaps you can consider why it may be problomatic to base a conclusion on a single post wherein rex refers to me as illiterate (probobly a referance to my constant typos wich i freely admit to). You see rex thinks he's superior because he flames both conservitives and liberals without acctually engaging either in the type of diologue you seem to be seeking. He also seems to dislike me ever since a single instance in which I took G-Mans side over his. If you would like a mental excersise why don't you acctually look at my past posts, you'll see that I'm more willing to engage with teh left than many here. but I also don't let anyone get away with teh blantent contradictions you tried to slip past.

If you would like to challenge and be challenged then I'm up for it, but if your idea of diologue consists simply of you trying to "educate me, the brain dead neocon" then I'll pass. It's up to you.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Most of them I don't agree with, but we don't resort to calling each other names.

I'm glad you're above name calling rex. It's very big of you and we could all learn from your example.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

I think it is spooky to know that our current leaders believe in a figure who argued that there was no god yet uses religion purely for political ends. The purpose at the end of my post was to say that veil of religosity and morality that some Rebuplicans have veiled themselves in is beginning to unravel. So, sure Liberals might be godless heathens, but how honest do you think conservatives are being?

Are you familiar with teh logical falicy of holding a student responible for the beliefs of their teachers (If everything you posted was true.)

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:
I didn't want anyone to think that I am doing sneaky.

We think more highly of you than that.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

If you would like to challenge and be challenged then I'm up for it, but if your idea of diologue consists simply of you trying to "educate me, the brain dead neocon" then I'll pass. It's up to you.

Alright, this comment is fair enough. I'll admit that I did come off as condescending. I sincerely apologize. I was probably being a bit defensive and also trying to get people charged up about the discussion.

Quote:

Are you familiar with teh logical falicy of holding a student responible for the beliefs of their teachers (If everything you posted was true.)

Now this comment makes sense. It is true that a student can disagree with their teacher. But, from the research I have done about Strauss and the Straussian, people involved with the PNAC and the Bush adminstration seem to exhibit the political behavior advocated by Strauss. I'll elaborate more on this further, but aside from this point, don't you think that Strausses ideas are distrubing and that we should be at least a little suspicious about politicians who espouse this ideology?

I do want a legitimate response from people who disagree with me. Maybe I'm wrong about this stuff and I need to be corrected.

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
This Randal newb = teh pwnage.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Alright, this comment is fair enough. I'll admit that I did come off as condescending. I sincerely apologize. I was probably being a bit defensive and also trying to get people charged up about the discussion.

That's very big of you (no sarcasm) Well procede from this point on.... You'll also have to bear with us as you get in on some of the inside humor here. Expect to be called Whomod quite a bit.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

That's very big of you (no sarcasm) Well procede from this point on....

Thanks, Im glad you accepted my apology (no sarcasm either). So, let us proceed then with the discussion.

Last edited by Randal_Flagg; 2005-04-22 5:48 AM.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
He also seems to dislike me ever since a single instance in which I took G-Mans side [over his].

*ahem* sorry.

It was just TOO funny.

Carry on....

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:Unfortunately this forum has way too many alt ids posting in it and g-man attempts to turn every discussion into a liberal conservative flame war.

And rex tries to turn any examination of the opposing views found in any broad-ranging political discussion into an excuse to accuse anyone with an opinion different than his of starting a flame war.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Well, I don't want to turn things into a flame war. I would like to discuss politics with someone who has a different opinion than me. I'm liberal and the majority of my friends are liberal, so I want another point of view.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Well, you came to the right place.

Of all the boards I troll upon this is probably the most civil I've seen when it comes to political discussions.

As long as you don't mind being called "whomod" sometimes.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

unrestrained id said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
He also seems to dislike me ever since a single instance in which I took G-Mans side [over his].

*ahem* sorry.

It was just TOO funny.

Carry on....

Yes, there was one instance where I took G-Man's side OVER REX. Most of thier arguments are non-political and have more to do with G-Man's behavious as mod. Wich I acctually took issue with (civily) untill the spam break out.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Pariah is gonna be so surprised when he finds out we are ALL Whomod!

1 post
1 post
I love Whomod! and you too, Steve. You're terrific!

I am here to dance at your behest to ease tensions and make the boards a better place
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Shut up Whomod!

200+ posts
200+ posts
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:
Quote:

Quote:

Now this comment makes sense. It is true that a student can disagree with their teacher. But, from the research I have done about Strauss and the Straussian, people involved with the PNAC and the Bush adminstration seem to exhibit the political behavior advocated by Strauss. I'll elaborate more on this further, but aside from this point, don't you think that Strausses ideas are distrubing and that we should be at least a little suspicious about politicians who espouse this ideology?

I do want a legitimate response from people who disagree with me. Maybe I'm wrong about this stuff and I need to be corrected.

It's a shame everyone let this part of the discussion die seeing as how the philosopy of Leo Strauss is key to understanding the neoconservative phenomena as well as the politics of fear that we're all living under.

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." - George W. Bush State of the Union speech Jan 28, 2003 "mission accomplished" - George W. Bush May 2, 2003 It does not require a majority to prevail but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds". Samuel Adams said that. Pretty deep for a guy that makes beer for a living - The Boondocks "A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead" - Leo C. Rosten
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Steve T said:
Pariah is gonna be so surprised when he finds out we are ALL Whomod!

We are the Whomods!
We are the Whomods!
We are the Whomods!...

We all wear a green carnation.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
rex even thinks I'm whomod.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

PaulWellr said:
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:
Quote:

Quote:

It's a shame everyone let this part of the discussion die seeing as how the philosopy of Leo Strauss is key to understanding the neoconservative phenomena as well as the politics of fear that we're all living under.

yea, it's a shame. I think every one had forgotten thier foil hats that day and didn't want Cheney reading thier thoughts on neoconservitism and the Zionist world take over.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure many Americans are familiar with Strauss or his ideas. This is expert of an arcticle I recently read that may serve as a starting point for discussion. It's focus is on Strauss' Persecution and the Art of Writing

Although the philosophers are able to transcend the conventional beliefs and opinions that govern ordinary men, they do also recognize the importance of these conventions for the good of society. Perhaps more than anything else, they know that strong religious belief is integral for the health and well-being of a society. Because the higher philosophic ideals of “contemplation and theory” are accessible "only to the few who are wise," special precautions are needed for the guidance and governance of the populace: "civil government…is not in itself sufficient for orderly corporate life within society. Religion is a regulator of order in social life. …It is…a code of law prescribed for the many by higher intelligences.”[83] Indeed, Strauss believed that one of the primary reasons that modern liberal society has entered a state of crisis is that it has lost its religious and moral foundation, and is now breeding a generation that is largely nihilistic, hopeless and without any ethical framework: "His great concern was that since 1950 the American commitment to modern natural right, shorn of strong religious counterbalance, has led to a greater emphasis on relativism and a corresponding loss of a moral compass."[84] Without strong religious beliefs such as the immortality of the soul and judgment after death, society lacks a transcendent authority for its laws and values:

[P]olitical atheism is a modern phenomenon which is simply incompatible with a stable and just order. When trust exists in a providential order to which one's conduct conforms, the dignity of moral obligations is enhanced and duty is raised to the level of aspiration. Belief in the immortality of the soul along with eternal awards and punishments acts as a powerful support for morality…No other source of 'modes and orders' could command such a great measure of assent and contribute to the stability of political life.

BTW, the 'illiterate' jabs at wobam are in referance to his notorious spelling.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Objectivists would, of course, disagree with Strauss.

At Risk Youth
400+ posts
At Risk Youth
400+ posts
I find it funny you have a Boondocks character as your avatar Wednesday.

And Chris Rock claimed he admired Bush because he got away with all of his stuff.

Voted "Biggest Waste Of Space" On The Bat-Boards For "Multiple Reasons"

Jerry Falwell On Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer:
"Those hollywood, homosexual, jewish types making a show about a reindeer who is 'different' and just cant 'hide it'. Everyone knows if he tries hard enough he can convert himself to a normal, black-nosed reindeer."

I am 95% addicted to Porn. What about you?
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Objectivists would, of course, disagree with Strauss.

I didn't think obectivists were holding the reigns of power in Washington. Who besides Alan (how to say nothing in 3000 words or more) Greenspan is a nominal objectivist? I can think of no one who actually practices it.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
But my point was simply to note that Strauss may be incorrect, not to argue who is or isn't an objectivist.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
But my point was simply to note that Strauss may be incorrect, not to argue who is or isn't an objectivist.

My point is that the people in power subscribe to Strauss' ideas. Objectivists are confined to the fringe in the Libertarian Party.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

My point is that the people in power subscribe to Strauss' ideas. Objectivists are confined to the fringe in the Libertarian Party.

MJ, I'm afraid you haven't been properly broken in here so here goes.......ahemm....Shut-Up, Whomod!

OK, now carry on.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard