Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts

Due to the serious nature of this discussion, I thought it best to discuss the late, great Will Eisner's last work, The Plot: The Secret Story of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion in the Deep Thoughts forum. The link I have provided is to Amazon.com, where some very well written reveiws can be found.

Will Eisner spent the last twenty years of his life researching information for this book. He uses the art of the graphic novel to tell the story behind the Protocols. It is a fascinating tale. Without delving into the story, I will simply say that the Protocols have been proven to be a forgery of another work that had absolutely nothing to do with Jews at all. It was Russian anti-Semitism that created the Protocols, which were proven to be forgeries on the 1920s.

Yet the Protocols will not die. No matter how damning the evidence is against them, people still believe the lie to be true.

Will Eisner could not understand why people continued to believe in them. Sure, it's easy to single out a minority to hate for all of life's problems, but something that is clearly false?

Now, even people who admit the Protocols are a forgery of lies say that the Protocols still express what the Jew is thinking.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Will Eisner hoped that by telling the story visually, through the graphic novel, he could get the truth out to the masses in a way that no one would be able to deny.

There is a large part of this book where Eisner lines up parts of the Protocols to the book it was forged from, Maurice Joly's Dialogue in Hell. It is an eye-opening experiance to see how the forger, Mathieu Golovinski, created the lie that is the Protocols. Some people have criticized this method, but the reader reviews I read all highly praised it. And so do I. The only way to see the truth behind the forgery is to see it in black and white.

And yet, I am not sure how much of an impact this book will have. I picked The Plot up at Borders this past Friday. It was located in the Jewish History section. On the top shelf. Somehow, I don't think that was where Will Eisner envisioned this book being placed. He wrote and drew a graphic novel, and I can only assume that he meant for it to be sold next to the other graphic novels, in the Graphic Novel section of the store.

But that's not where it was located.

So, unless this book becomes mandatory reading in schools, it will probably remain largely unknown to the public.

I cannot allow that to happen. So here, at the RKMBs, I have an opportunity to share this great work with all of you. I ask all of you to obtain a copy of this book, either by purchasing it, or by going to the library. I ask you to read it, and to discuss it with your friends. I ask you, if you do purchase it, to pass it around like you would any great comic book or trade paperback. I believe that is what Will Eisner intended when he began working on this project, and that is the best way to honor his memory, and to thank him for all of his hard work in helping to create a genre of story telling that has brought many different cultures together.

I don't understand why people need to hate. I don't understand why the masses are so easily lied to. I don't understand how anyone could find it within them to create something so deadly, as the Protocols have been, and continue to be.

In the Islamic world, the Protocols may well be second only to the Koran. Millions of people actually believe the lie to be true. And those same people believe similar lies about the non-Islamic world.

I don't think anyone understands how people can be brought up to hate like that, but many are.

And now that I've gone on to the point where I may be talking in circles, I open the thread to all of you. Please, share your thoughts on this issue, and any other issues related to this topic.

While we may not be able to come up with an answer, maybe we can try to come up with a better understanding of the world around us.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think it is always easier for a sizeable group of people to blame a secret conspiracy for their troubles, in lieu of taking responsibility for their own lot in life, regardless of whether that conspiracy is made up of Jews, the Illuminati, the CIA, International Bankers, Jesuits, the Masons or the Bush Family.

What makes conspiracy theories so appealing is their ability to clarify events that have a high level of complexity. It can be very difficult to figure out why a region or industry is suffering economic hardship. It is easy to say "the powers that be" are the ones creating the problem.

The oil industry has long been accused of conspiring to suppress alternative energy sources. There is no conspiracy in the fact that oil is one of the cheapest and most versatile forms of energy we can find on the planet.

Conspiracy theories also help satisfy people’s craving for melodrama. The villains in conspiracy organizations are often given mythical powers, because, as everyone knows, the most alluring foe is one that is the most threatening.

The danger in conspiracy theories exists when people allow facts to become oversimplified to the point at which they lose contact with reality. The folks who are prone to believing every evil plot that comes along have the common trait of basing truth on how interesting the conspiracy sounds.

Unfortunately, sometimes, as with the Jews, those doing the oversimplification sometimes gain power, be it German in the 40s, Spain during the Inquisition or most of the MidEast today.

[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
About ten years ago, while I was going through an old trunk owned by my late grandfather (he died when I was in my pre-teens), I found a copy of the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion along with a few other strange tomes, like the Keys of Enoch. I'd forgotten about the Protocols, though, until I got online 6 years ago. Some time ago I learned about the forgery through some webpage or another (I know the whole text is online as well), and the information about the way it was forged is freely available on the Internet, yet it never ceases to amaze me to find other pages online which cite Protocols as a source despite the fact that it's been proven to be a fake!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Well, as noted above, many people WANT to believe conspiracy theories. They're fun, they're interesting, and they relieve the believer of the need to critically evaluate information.

It's a sad variation on--or attempt to capture the sentiment behind--that old line from John Ford's "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance": ""When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I once had a girl ask me if I was an intelectual. Not wanting to be presumptuous I asked what she meant by "intelectual". She responded "Do you believe in consperacy theories". Taken aback, I just said, "I'm familiar with alot of the prevailing consperacy theories, but, no, I'm not an intelectual" (this being intelectual by her definition).

I'm glad you brought this book up PW, I'm going to pick it up based on your recomendation.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
100+ posts
100+ posts
Sometimes a conspiracy theory helps reveal the truth about a specific group, either ethnic or political, regardless of the veracity of the theory itself. Conspiracy theories should be viewed as proverbial truth as long as the targets of the theory are deserving of the ire the theory communicates.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
jews do control the weather.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:

Clearly not the case, or Israel wouldn't be in a desert ...and Florida wouldn't have gotten all those hurricanes.

However, this is a good example of one of the previously noted characteristics of conspiracy theories, namely, that "the villains in conspiracy organizations are often given mythical powers, because, as everyone knows, the most alluring foe is one that is the most threatening."

If, for example, an anti-semetic conspiracist can convince enough people of something as outlandsish, yet menancing, as the "Jews control the weather" theory, it becomes all the easier to justify killing the Jews under a theory of self-defense.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Michael Moore said:
Sometimes a conspiracy theory helps reveal the truth about a specific group, either ethnic or political, regardless of the veracity of the theory itself. Conspiracy theories should be viewed as proverbial truth as long as the targets of the theory are deserving of the ire the theory communicates.

This is wannabuyamonkeys alt id.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Clearly not the case, or Israel wouldn't be in a desert ...and Florida wouldn't have gotten all those hurricanes.

nobody ever said they were good at it.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
What was that saying by Richard Belzer? "If you tell a lie big enough and often enough, people will believe it, even if what you are saying is complete crap."

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Quote:

The weather is controlled by God. We just pray that it should be favorable for everyone. Two of the things we say twice a year, when praying for rain or for dew (depending on the season), is that it should be for a blessing and not for a curse, for life and not for death.

This doesn't really have to do with anything, but since you brought it up...

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:
What was that saying by Richard Belzer? "If you tell a lie big enough and often enough, people will believe it, even if what you are saying is complete crap."

The sad thing is that the statement is true.

RDCW Profile

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
Quote:

Michael Moore said:

This is wannabuyamonkeys alt id.

No shit. Seeing as how I freely admit it, but nice try being a dick...... better luck next time.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Moore's films, especially "F-9/11," are good examples of the appeal of conspiracy theories:

With his films, Moore claims clarify events that have a high level of complexity. For example: 9/11 was caused by Bush; unemployment is the auto industry was caused by a guy named Roger; etc.

Moore also tends to make his villains powerful, almost shadowy organizations with great power: the Carlysle group, the NRA, "Big Oil," etc.

This is one of the reasons that Moore's "documentaries" are more successful than most: he turns complicated issues into entertaining, almost "comic booky" tales of secret organizations out to control the world.

Of course, some will say "yeah, but Moore's theories are TRUE." However, that is-of course-what every believer in a conspiracy thinks.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
And speaking of the pervasivness of anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, a French court recently found Le Monde, the paramount French newspaper, guilty of “racist defamation” (that is, antisemitism) against Israel and against Jews:

In a groundbreaking decision, the Versailles court of appeal ruled that a comment piece published in Le Monde in 2002, “Israel-Palestine: The Cancer,” had whipped up anti-Semitic opinion.

The writers of the article were ordered to pay symbolic damages of one euro to a human-rights group and to the Franco-Israeli association. Le Monde was also ordered to publish a condemnation of the article, which it has yet to do.

It is encouraging to see a French court rule that anti-Semitism should have no place in the media — even when it is masked as an analysis of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Press freedom is a value to be cherished, but not exploited and abused. In general, European countries have strict laws against such abuse and Europe’s mainstream media are in any case usually good at exercising self-censorship. Responsible journalists strenuously avoid libelous characterizations of entire ethnic, national or religious groups. They go out of their way, for example, to avoid suggesting that the massacres in Darfur, which are being carried out by Arab militias, in any way represent an Arab trait.

The exception to this seems to be the coverage of Jews, particularly Israeli ones. This is particularly ironic given the fact that Europe’s relatively strict freedom of speech laws (compared to those in the U.S.) were to a large extent drafted as a reaction to the Continent’s Nazi occupation. And yet, from Oslo to Athens, from London to Madrid, it has been virtually open season on them in the last few years, especially in supposedly liberal media.

Israel-Palestine: The Cancer” was a nasty piece of work, replete with lies, slanders and myths about “the chosen people,” “the Jenin massacre,” describing the Jews as “a contemptuous people taking satisfaction in humiliating others,” “imposing their unmerciful rule,” and so on.

Yet it was no worse than thousands of other news reports, editorials, commentaries, letters, cartoons and headlines published throughout Europe in recent years, in the guise of legitimate and reasoned discussion of Israeli policies.

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Wow. That's a revealing article. Something G-man left out that IMO may explain why the French court took action in the first place:

Quote:

It is encouraging to see a French court rule that anti-Semitism should have no place in the media -- even when it is masked as an analysis of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The ruling also makes it clear that the law in this respect applies to extremist Jews (Mr. Morin is Jewish) as much as to non-Jews.

I think that's the only reason the French court ruled against this article. Need proof? Look at what's been happening all over Europe. I'll bold the important stuff for you.

In Britain:

Quote:

The libels and distortions about Israel in some British media are by now fairly well known: the Guardian's equation of Israel and al Qaeda; the Evening Standard's equation of Israel and the Taliban; the report by the BBC's Middle East correspondent, Orla Guerin, on how "the Israelis stole Christmas." Most notorious of all is the Independent's Middle East correspondent, Robert Fisk, who specializes in such observations as his comment that, "If ever a sword was thrust into a military alliance of East and West, the Israelis wielded that dagger," and who implies that the White House has fallen into the hands of the Jews: "The Perles and the Wolfowitzes and the Cohens...[the] very sinister people hovering around Bush."

In Spain, in 2001, Prime Minister Sharon was regularly compaired to Adolf Hitler. The article doesn't say whether that's still the case today.

Quote:

The invective against Israel elsewhere in Europe is less well known. In Spain, for example, on June 4, 2001 (three days after a Palestinian suicide bomber killed 21 young Israelis at a disco, and wounded over 100 others, all in the midst of a unilateral Israeli ceasefire), the liberal daily Cambio 16 published a cartoon of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon (with a hook nose he does not have), wearing a skull cap (which he does not usually wear), sporting a swastika inside a star of David on his chest, and proclaiming: "At least Hitler taught me how to invade a country and destroy every living insect."

The week before, on May 23, El Pais (the "New York Times of Spain") published a cartoon of an allegorical figure carrying a small rectangular-shaped black moustache, flying through the air toward Mr. Sharon's upper lip. The caption read: "Clio, the muse of history, puts Hitler's moustache on Ariel Sharon."

Two days later, on May 25, the Catalan daily La Vanguardia published a cartoon showing an imposing building, with a sign outside reading "Museo del Holocausto Judio" (Museum of the Jewish Holocaust), and next to it another building under construction, with a large sign reading "Futuro Museo del Holocausto Palestino" (Future Museum of the Palestinian Holocaust).

Greece did the same in 2002, compairing Israili soldiers to Nazi officers:

Quote:

Greece's largest newspaper, the leftist daily Eleftherotypia, has run several such cartoons. In April 2002, on its front cover, under the title "Holocaust II," an Israeli soldier was depicted as a Nazi officer and a Palestinian civilian as a Jewish death camp inmate. In September 2002, another cartoon in Eleftherotypia showed an Israeli soldier with a Jewish star telling a Nazi officer next to him "Arafat is not a person the Reich can talk to anymore." The Nazi officer responds "Why? Is he a Jew?"

Most relevant to this discussion:

Quote:

In October 2001, the Web site of one of Italy's most respected newspapers, La Repubblica, published the notorious anti-Semitic forgery, "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion," in its entirety, without providing any historical explanation. It did suggest, however, that the work would help readers understand why the U.S. had taken military action in Afghanistan.

And of course, the religious attacks:

Quote:

In April 2002, the Italian liberal daily La Stampa ran a front-page cartoon showing an Israeli tank, emblazoned with a Jewish star, pointing a large gun at the baby Jesus in a manger, while the baby pleads, "Surely they don't want to kill me again, do they?"

And in Sweden, a newspaper deified Arafat:

Quote:

In Corriere Della Sera, another cartoon showed Jesus trapped in his tomb, unable to rise, because Ariel Sharon, rifle in hand, is sitting on the sepulcher. Sweden's largest morning paper, Dagens Nyheter, ran a caricature of a Hassidic Jew accusing anyone who criticized Israel of anti-Semitism. Another leading Swedish paper, Aftonbladet, used the headline "The Crucifixion of Arafat."

The article concludes with some even more disturbing facts:

Quote:

If the misreporting and bias were limited to one or two newspapers or television programs in each country, it might be possible to shrug them off. But they are not. Bashing Israel even extends to local papers that don't usually cover foreign affairs, such as the double-page spread titled "Jews in jackboots" in "Luton on Sunday." (Luton is an industrial town in southern England.) Or the article in Norway's leading regional paper, Stavanger Aftenblad, equating Israel's actions against terrorists in Ramallah with the attacks on the World Trade Center.

Grotesque and utterly false comparisons such as these should have no place in reporting or commenting on the Middle East. Yet although the French court ruling -- the first of its kind in Europe -- is a major landmark, no one in France seems to care. The country's most distinguished newspaper, the paper of record, has been found guilty of anti-Semitism. One would have thought that such a verdict would prompt wide-ranging coverage and lead to extensive soul-searching and public debate. Instead, there has been almost complete silence, and virtually no coverage in the French press.

And few elsewhere will have heard about it. Reuters and Agence France Presse (agencies that have demonstrated particularly marked bias against Israel) ran short stories about the judgment in their French-language wires last week, but chose not to run them on their English news services. The Associated Press didn't run it at all. Instead of triggering the long overdue reassessment of Europe's attitude toward Israel, the media have chosen to ignore it.

RDCW Profile

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Why won't the The Protocols of the Elders of Zion die already?

Cuz' it's a thumping good read!

Anyone who hasn't is missing out.

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
It's a forgery. If you want a good read, get a copy of Maurice Joly's Dialogue in Hell.

RDCW Profile

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
That about sums it up.

RDCW Profile

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I think part of the problem is that that "great american" Henry Ford reprinted the damn thing in his newspaper. Fun Fact: Henry Ford was awarded the highest honor that the Nazi Party (!) could bestow upon a foreigner. Adolf Hitler himself called Ford an inspiration. Great American my ass.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I don't know too many people who don't consider Henry Ford a creep, snarf.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
plus his cars suck ass.

Except for the GT. and the new Mustang.

100+ posts
100+ posts
I read this in the local library. Good stuff.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:
I think part of the problem is that that "great american" Henry Ford reprinted the damn thing in his newspaper. Fun Fact: Henry Ford was awarded the highest honor that the Nazi Party (!) could bestow upon a foreigner. Adolf Hitler himself called Ford an inspiration. Great American my ass.

Charles Lindbergh admired Hitler's views during the 30's. Though he at least denounced the Holocaust and supported the U.S. once the war started.

Bow ties are coool.
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

King Snarf said:

Charles Lindbergh admired Hitler's views during the 30's. Though he at least denounced the Holocaust and supported the U.S. once the war started.

Charles compared USA fighting against Japan with Germany killing jews, saying it was the same thing.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!

Link Copied to Clipboard