Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
OP Offline
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
 Abortion access has helped make society safer: Morgentaler
Last Updated Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:50:44 EDT
CBC News

Henry Morgentaler said his fight to give women access to abortion has helped make society a safer place as he received a controversial honorary degree Thursday.

"By fighting for reproductive freedom, and making it possible, I have made a contribution to a safer and more caring society where people have a greater opportunity to realize their full potential," he said, shortly after receiving his honorary doctor of law degree from the University of Western Ontario in London.

Henry Morgentaler at the University of Western Ontario in London, Thursday.

"Well-loved children grow into adults who do not build concentration camps, do not rape and do not murder," said Morgentaler, 82, who himself survived a Nazi death camp.

He claimed that violent crime has decreased since 1991, a trend he attributed to more abortion procedures being made available.

"The most important factor is that there are fewer unwanted children, fewer children likely to be abused, brutalized or neglected ... children so victimized they may grow up for a thirst for vengeance which seeks an outlet in violence," he said.

Morgentaler went through four jury trials and spent 10 months in jail for providing abortions. The Supreme Court of Canada struck down the country's law in 1988.

He told the graduates that he did not advocate civil disobedience, but he urged them to stand up for their rights.

"You are the younger generation, you can change what's going on in Canada through your political influence," he said.

University officials had beefed up security for the ceremony after the decision to award Morgentaler an honorary degree sparked controversy at the school.

Demonstrators gathered outside the university behind barriers.

About 500 demonstrators gathered outside the university to protest the school's decision. Some people withdrew their donations to the university, including one bequest for $2 million.

More than 12,000 people signed a petition that called on the school to change its mind and not give Morgentaler the honour. But 10,000 other people signed a petition in support of the university's decision.

Don McDougall, chair of the university's board of governors, criticized the way the decision was made to award Morgentaler the degree, saying it was reached through a "breach of customary protocol" and that "the process was corrupted."

One of the members on the selection committee resigned in protest over the way Morgentaler was selected.

But the senate honorary degrees committee denied the charges. In a letter, the committee said he was "elected for an honorary degree by a process that was fair, open and reflected normal practice."

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Does the guy have any studies to back up his claim, or is he just justifying his own conduct?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
It helps him sleep at night.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
There was a guy on the Daily Show a month or so back that was making a claim like this, too, based solely on statistics. The theory was based on the fact that, in places where abortion had been legalized, there had been fewer children born, and there had been less crime in those places in a couple of decades afterwards, the implication drawn that fewer unwanted children meant a drop in crime. Of course, statistics don't ever tell the whole picture.

klinton Offline OP
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
OP Offline
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
or is he just justifying his own conduct?

I think that's probably more the case than anything.

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:
There was a guy on the Daily Show a month or so back that was making a claim like this, too, based solely on statistics. The theory was based on the fact that, in places where abortion had been legalized, there had been fewer children born, and there had been less crime in those places in a couple of decades afterwards, the implication drawn that fewer unwanted children meant a drop in crime. Of course, statistics don't ever tell the whole picture.

True. If it doesn't take into account the laws on the books as well as the punishments for them, education reform (if any), and several other factors, it's just making numbers mean what you want. I need more than just a paragraph to convince me.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
So do I.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:

Steven Levitt, methinks.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
There's a similar theory going around that says the country is moving to the right because liberal women have more abortions and, therefore, ;ess kids/potential voters, whereas conservative bible thumpers keep popping out kids.

These types of things are all statistics games.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Quote:

"Well-loved children grow into adults who do not build concentration camps, do not rape and do not murder," said Morgentaler, 82, who himself survived a Nazi death camp.

ACTually, Hitler was a desired child who was pandered by his mother and not by his father and grew up hating women for being weak tarts and most men for not being as 'great' as him.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Uschi said:
Quote:

ACTually, Hitler was a desired child who was pandered by his mother and not by his father and grew up hating women for being weak tarts and most men for not being as 'great' as him.

All that proves is that we should abort wanted children too. i wouldn't oppose abortion if we had a minimum age requirement of 18 years so we can guage how the kid will fuction in society and then if on thier 18th birthday they prove themselves to be worthless then they should be aborted.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
100+ posts
100+ posts
Quote:

Uschi said:
Quote:

Well being pandared by his mother explains a lot. Imagine, your own mom out on the corner saying "Hey mister! Want some little boy Ass?'

The G-man says: You are GOOD r3x29yz4a is my hero! rex says I'm a commie, asshole, fag!

Link Copied to Clipboard