#614510 2006-01-15 4:52 AM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Nintendo Comments on Redesign Rumors
Still pretty neutral, but it's better than the usual "We do not comment on rumor or speculation."
Craig Harris

January 13, 2006 - The noise level of the rumor that Nintendo will soon be releasing a redesigned Nintendo DS system has gotten so high that the company's been forced to poke its head out and comment.

Earlier this week several retail outlets and Japanese media publications have been reporting that the inevitable Nintendo DS redesign would be coming sooner than expected, and that an official announcement (or even a stealth launch) could happen as soon as next week.

"Clearly, Nintendo DS continues to be one of the most popular and talked-about video game systems available," said a Nintendo of America representative this morning. "Through 2005, some 13 million units have sold worldwide. Nintendo is always looking for ways to improve its games and systems, but we have nothing to announce at this time."

giant picture
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cool.

love the system and the games, but... the design is still pretty awkward. its actually pretty heavy and bulky for a portable system, which really limits some of its use. visually comparing it to sony's psp is ridiculous, as the psp is amazingly slick.

i'd love for the system to include a larger d-pad, or perhaps an analog joystick/thumbpad or something. perhaps smooth out all the corners, slim down the thickness, etc.

giant picture
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Good. This means the original will drop in price.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
also probably true.

the variou rumors seem to speculate that the redesign imagery could surface within the month, and could hit stores a few months later.

the DS is at 129 now, and i could easily see DS1 going for 99 afterward, with DS2 launching at 150/130 -- depending on what it includes.

...and those rumors also seem to vary.

one report speculates the new DS will provide free VOIP phone calls. some say it will ditch the GBA games port. bigger or brighter screens, ergonomically designed shell, additional compact folds, etc... the rumors are all over the place here.

giant picture
Rob #614514 2006-01-16 12:43 AM
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
I went with a GBA micro. If they can get a DS or PSP to close that size I'm sold. Carrying a portable the size of a DS or PSP around just sucks unless youre a chick with a purse.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
or a gay man with a purse.

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Carrying a portable the size of a DS or PSP around just sucks unless youre a chick with a purse. Or a gay man with a purse.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Redesigned Nintendo DS Revealed
Nintendo announces release date, price and look for a new Nintendo DS system.
by Craig Harris

January 26, 2006 - After weeks of rumor and speculation, Nintendo today finally revealed its expected redesign of the Nintendo DS handheld system. Called the DS Lite, this new design will be released in Japan on March 2, 2006 and cost 16,800 yen (about 140 bucks US.) The redesign retains all the functionality of the standard DS, but makes things smaller, lighter and brighter.

The modified dual screen handheld has been tweaked into a smaller chassis. The new unit measures up to 133 mm wide by 73.9 mm tall by 21.5 thick. (that's compared to 148.7 x 84.7 x 28.99 mm in the original.) DS Lite weighs 218g, compared to the 275 g of the original.

DS Lite's biggest new technical feature is its updated set of backlit LCD screens. The system is brighter overall, and will give the user the ability to select from four different levels of brightness for viewing and/or battery consumption. A few other cosmetic changes were made to the new DS Lite -- there's a new hinge design, the power light was put on the left side of the hinge and is visible while the clamshell is closed, the mic is moved to top/center while the speakers are more centered, the Select and Start buttons are set on the bottom instead of top, and the power button is no longer on the front, and all of the dark button colors are changed to whites and grays. The cute DS logo is also placed on the front. Basic functionality, otherwise, looks to be identical to the original DS.

giant picture
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
hard to judge by that decidedly weak image, but... its certainly not as drastic a change as i would have liked.

though, i spose if both lighter and thinner, the ergonomics would be much nicer -- perhaps alleviating the need for additional changes.

and i do much like the relocation of the power button. hit that a few times accidentally.

giant picture
400+ posts
400+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
and i do much like the relocation of the power button. hit that a few times accidentally.

That's because you're a moron.

I got the body of a taut, preteen swedish boy. -Cosmo Kramer
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
one has nothing to do with the other.

it was poor placement.

giant picture
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
lols

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
so they shaved off an inch? might still be too big. ill have to see it in person.

100+ posts
100+ posts
I actually won a Nintendo DS in a chocolate bar giveaway (actually, it was my Mum's chocolate wrapper, I simply noticed the 'You have won' message)

So far I haven't had any problems with it, in terms of ergonomics or play abilty.

Of course, this might be due to the fact that this is the first hand-held system I've ever owned ...

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
my critiques of the original DS might be a little harsh, i guess. it is a slick little system and it definitely shows a lot of nintendo's strengths and experience in the handheld field. but the emphasis was clearly moreso on functionality rather than ergonomics -- which isn't necessarily a negative, its just my critique for the moment.

the ds lite was the opportunity to address all that -- maintaining the usage, but updated the feel.

and, to a certain extent, that was done. as said, its difficult to get an idea out of what the changes will really mean, as the "image" above is mostly just a drawing. it could very well fit much nicer into your hands, and be easier to carry around -- we'll just have to wait and see.

giant picture
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
maybe its texture feels like a female supermodel's well-oiled tits

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Only Game Boy I've ever owned was the original version (ah, Tetris!). Not being or wanted to be Japanese, however, I soon discovered I didn't need to drown my sorrows in portable video games -- and that's how I conquered the moon!

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
DS Lite Photos - Thanks to an FCC filing, some new shots and details
Craig Harris - IGN

Nintendo recently filed its upcoming Nintendo DS Lite system for FCC approval. And in this approval process, shots of the system have been made publicly available on the FCC website. This is the first time since the system's announcement that the system's been documented with photos, and this is also the first time that the edges and bottom of the system have been revealed.

This photoshoot confirms many new details about the new DS Lite design:

• The stylus is now stored horizontally in the system's right side, instead of the original's vertical/back orientation.

• The DS Lite will ditch the Game Boy Advance SP and Nintendo DS AC adapter port for the more compact Game Boy Micro AC adapter port.

• The Game Boy Advance slot on the DS Lite will have a protective, removable slot cover to protect the port when not in use. And most likely to make gaming a bit more comfortable on the fingers that grip down there.

• The headphone jack and volume switch are in the identical position as the standard DS, and remain unchanged.

• Power is now activated by a slider switch on the right side, just above the Stylus slot. It is no longer a button press. To prevent players from accidentally turning on or off the system, the slide switch must be slid towards the right and held for two seconds.

• The internal Model name for the DS Lite is USG. Previous model names for past Nintendo handheld systems include DMG for the original Game Boy, CGB for Game Boy Color, AGB for Game Boy Advance, AGS for the GBA SP, OXY for the Game Boy Micro, and NTR for the original Nintendo DS.

Click on this link to check out all the angles of the Nintendo DS Lite system. It's scheduled for a March 3 release in Japan, with a US and Europe release following sometime in the future.

giant picture

Link Copied to Clipboard