Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#626115 2006-02-16 5:58 PM
PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Men's Olympic hockey began yesterday, and already today the Gold Medal hunt is looking unpredictable, at least in my opinion.

Sure, there are the super teams: Canada, Russia, and Czech.

The not so quite super, but extremely dangerous teams: Sweden, Finland, Slovakia.

The top underdog: USA.

The other two underdogs to watch out for: Germany and Latvia.

And then there is just about everyone else, with Italy way at the bottom.

I think goaltending will be the key determining factor in this tournament. Canada is the powerhouse in net.

The Czechs just lost Dominik Hasek to a hamstring injury, but they shouldn't have too much trouble with Vokoun stepping between the pipes. Vokoun has the ability to get very hot, and he has the best player in the NHL, Jagr, playing in front of him.

Russia has Nabokov, and a dynamic top line of Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, and Kovalev. Their defense is slow, but their offense plays in high gear.

Sweden looked awful today. Ludqvist is making a case for rookie of the year in the NHL, but he looked just like a rookie today, and not the goalie who has been propelling the New York Rangers to the top of their division. They need to start games with more energy, and keep control of the puck.

Finland is without it's best goalie, Kiprusoff, but the entire team plays a very tenacious style of hockey. This is not a team to take likely, because they have enough scoring to spread out to take it all.

Slovakia can beat anyone.

USA is in transition. Their coach will role four lines, all balanced, and preach to play hard every shift. Their defense is solid, but can get caught pinching at bad times. What makes them the underdog is their goaltending. There is no go-to US goalie right now, and the best US goalie was left off of the roster. Someone will have to step up soon if USA will have any chance to medal. They just don't have the feared offense of years past at this time, although some young players have stepped up.

Germany and Latvia will hope their goaltending can get hot enough to carry them through. With Kolzig and Irbe in the pipes respectively, these teams cannot be counted out. It was no surprise to me that Latvia tied USA 3-3 yesterday.

These games have had more flow than NHL games. I don't like the European goal crease rules, nor do I like the larger neutral zone and smaller offensive zone of the international ice. I think the NHL finally moved ahead of Europe by moving the lines around to create a larger offensive zone. Another thing I don't like is the icing rule. I like no touch icing, but the NHL added a new twist to icing that has almost eliminated it from the game. In the NHL the tame that ices the puck cannot make a line change before the face-off. In Europe, there is no penalty for icing, so there are a lot them, and it disrupts the game.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
I forgot to mention the Swiss, who beat the Czechs today thanks to Aebischer's oustanding goaltending. If he gets hot, watch out.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
The USA/Kazakhstan game was a disgrace. I haven't seen that much clutching and grabbing since the lockout. All Kazakhstan was doing all game was interering with illegal blocks and grabbing onto much faster, much more skilled USA players. And then there was the icing. Have I mentioned that I really hate the IIHF icing rule? Kazakhstan just iced the puck whenever it could, forcing a face-off to get a line change. In the NHL, they wouldn't get that line change, but the attacking team sure would.

All that said, the US played a much better game, and Dipietro was solid. They skated very well against Latvia, but this time they used the wider ice to move the puck faster going side to side, and not just up and down like in the NHL.

The line of Gomez, Gianta, and Tkuchuk really stood out all game. Gomez and Gianta both play for the New Jersey Devils, and I wouldn't be surprised if Tkuchuk asked to be traded there when he gets back to the States. St. Louis is looking to trade Tkuchuk and few more veterans by the trade deadline as they continue to work on selling the team.

Below are the standings after two days of play. The top four teams in each pool advance to the quarterfinals.

Group AWLTPoints
FIN2004
CAN2004
CZE1102
SUI1102
GER0200
ITA0200
Group BWLTPoints
SVK2004
USA1013
RUS1102
SWE1102
LAT0111
KAZ0200

RDCW Profile

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Having seen the movie "Miracle" I know what happens to underdog USA hockey teams. Or at least what should happen.

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Yeah, that would be nice. There are still three more round robin games to determine the eight quarterfinalists, and USA should be one of them. This is a hard working team, but if one of the goalies doesn't get hot, they don't stand a chance.

I think Canada is going to win the gold again. So far, Canada, Finland, and Slovakia all look great. I wouldn't put it past any of those teams to go undefeated in the round robin. They all play hard and are loaded with talent. Canada gets the nod because it has the best goaltending.

RDCW Profile

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
In women's hockey, USA lost to Sweden in a shoot-out. USA will now play for bronze on Monday. So, what went wrong in this game? The question is not to take away from Sweden, who may have the best goalie in women's hockey in Martin.

However, there was one thing clearly lacking in USA's game, and that one thing is called heart. This team had no heart today. They tried to cruise through a game against a hot goalie, and they made poor decisions on five on three power plays, and in the shoot-out.

Many fans should have seen this loss coming even before the Olympics, when the roster was announced, and Cammi Granato's name was left off. Granato had been the cornerstone and captain of USA women's hockey for a decade. It was her leadership that allowed USA to upset Canada in '98 for the first ever gold medal in women's hockey.

I'm not the first person, and I won't be the last to say that Cammi Granato needed to be on this team, and that forcing her off is the reason USA will be playing for bronze on Monday instead of gold. When USA hockey analyzes this game, when they look at what went wrong, the lack of heart will be staring them right in the face.

This would have been Granato's last Olympics. This could have been a key rallying point to get another gold medal. Instead, there will forever be a dark cloud hanging over this Olympic team, a big "what if?". What if Granato would have been on the ice for this game? I have an answer to that question. Had Granato been playing, this team would have played with heart.

Would they have been able to beat the hot goalie in yellow and blue? I don't know. In a short tournament like this, a team can ride a hot goalie over every other team. However, there is one thing I know for sure. Had Cammi Granato been playing for team USA, we would not be asking "what if?".

RDCW Profile

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
After yesterday's games, only two men's teams remain perfect, Finland and Slovakia. The mighty team Canada lost to the Swiss 2-0. This time it was Martin Gerber in net for the Swiss, and he showed exactly why he's the starter for the Carolina Hurricanes.

USA lost 2-1 to Slovakia. If USA is going to make it past the quarterfinals, they will need to find a way to defeat the top three teams in their pool. They play Sweden today, and while they could still make the quarterfinals if they lose or tie (based on how Latvia and Kazakhstan are doing), they need to win this game to prove to themselves that they can beat an elite club.

RDCW Profile

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Incredible. Finland defeated Canada 2-0, giving the powerhouse team it's second straight shutout. Finland and Slovakia remain undefeated in the tournament. Both teams work hard, but Slovakia has more firepower than Finland. Thing is, Finland plays a very disciplined game, and it has the hottest goalie in the tournament. Philadelphia has got to be feeling really good right now about it's chances in the playoffs, because Niitimaki is their goalie.

Canada isn't going to panic, but judging by Draper's (GO WINGS!) comments, they are frustrated with their lack of scoring in recent games.

USA, on the other hand, looks to be barely squeezing into the quarterfinals after losing another 2-1 game today. USA has been getting great goaltending from Dipietro, and they have been playing solid hockey at both ends of the ice, but they just can't seem to finish their chances. If they could just score on their power plays, they would have won their last two games.

I think USA just needs to tweak it's lines a bit, and continue to look for balance. The brightest spot on this team has been its defense, where veterans Chris Chelios and Mathieu Schnedier have formed one of the best defense pairs in the Olympics. Of course, us Wings fans could have seen that happening.

Canada's problem is that they over load their roster with all-stars. While USA has the right mix of scores and grinders, Canada only has Draper. Had Canada taken his penalty killing partner Maltby, and fellow Red Wings teammate Shanahan with them, they would have a tough line that would be able to score big five on five goals. Of course, that's just this Wings fan's opinion.

Sweden looked great today against USA. I really like the way they play, and they have balance throughout their roster.

Russia exploded today, or, rather, Ilya Kovalchuk exploded today, with four goals. Russia is the most dangerous scoring machine in the tournament.

Tomorrow are the Women's finals. Hopefully, USA can defeat Finland for the bronze. However, the heart just might not be there. As for Sweden, I believe in miracles, but I also believe Canada isn't going into this game cocky. I wish Sweden luck, but I think Canada will successfully defend the gold.

RDCW Profile

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Canada crushed Sweden in the women's gold medal game. It was never even close, as Canada scored the first of four unanswered goals just under four minutes into the game. I wish Sweden could have kept it close, but Canada is just too good. Had the US defeated Sweden for the right to play this game, I don't think the final result would have been any different. Team USA lacked the heart necessary to not only defeat Sweden, but to defeat Canada. Canada showed up to do one thing in Turino, take home the gold. They played with heart and determination, and they deserved to win.

Sweden made huge strides, winning the silver, but I am now questioning whether women's hockey should be an event in the Olympics. I hope that the European programs finally find the talent in 2010 in Vancouver, because I would hate to see this sport disappear, but that's what will happen if women's hockey continues to be a two team, and in this Olympics, a one team sport.

I am glad team USA got it together to defeat Finland for the bronze earlier today. This time, they won decisively, 4-0. Where was that heart when they played Sweden? The fact is, they had to show up and win that medal, because going home empty handed would have meant disgrace. There is no shame in losing to a hot goalie, but there will always be questions about this team. The power struggle behind the scenes which led to the coach leaving veteran captain Cammi Granato off the roster leaves many more questions about the future of the program. Word is this coach is done.

If that's the case, then perhaps there is hope for 2010, hope that whomever the key veteran leader is at that point, she will still be the key veteran leader going into that Olympics. Canada kept it's veterans, for this team. Canada had a 40 year old former first line player playing on the third line. Granato would have been a 34 year old player playing on the third line. It just doesn't make sense. It's sad, really. I don't know that a Granato lead USA could have defeated this Canadian team, but it would have been a hell of a game, and a hell of a story. A positive story.

RDCW Profile

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
What do you mean by "hot" goalie????

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
I guess that depends on whether or not I'm talking about men's or women's hockey.

Back to the hockey talk...

USA looked like crap today. Tomorrow they play Finland. Tomorrow will most likely be the end of the tournament for team USA.

RDCW Profile

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Tomorrow will be interesting. USA plays Finland, Canada plays Russia, Slovakia plays the Czech Republic, and Sweden plays Switzerland.

My predictions: Finland, Canada, Slovakia, and Sweden will all advance to the semifinals.

Of course, every one of my picks could be wrong.

RDCW Profile

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
So I was half right. Finland will face Russia on Friday, and the Czechs wil face Sweden.

Team USA just didn't have it, coming out flat in the first period against a superior team Finland. USA kept it a hockey game, but Finland was just too good.

As for Canada, they made the mistake of leaving some of their best players at home because they were either "too young" or "too old." Had they had Spezza and Staal at center, and Shanahan on the wing and leading in the locker room, maybe Canada could have shown Russia a thing or two about how the game is played. Instead, Russia owned them.

Russia has a powerful offense, but I still like Finland over Russia for it's complete game and high level of competition. Finland plays with a lot more heart than any other team left in the simifinals.

As for Sweden vs. the Czechs, Sweden will come out on top in this one. There is something about the Swedes this year.

RDCW Profile

500+ posts
500+ posts
Canada losing is sorta good new for Maple Leaf fans in 2 ways.

1. It's going to be alot easier to get rid of Pat Quinn since he didn't coach a gold winning team.

2. Bryan McCabe didnt stand out in any positive way, so he wont ask for as much come the off season.

JLA for MO....oh....

999,999 Points, Sucka!
PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Quote:

The Watcher said:
Canada losing is sorta good new for Maple Leaf fans in 2 ways.

1. It's going to be alot easier to get rid of Pat Quinn since he didn't coach a gold winning team.

I hope so. This guy is Toronto's biggest problem. The only reason Canada won gold in '02 was because, as Gretzky pointed out, Lemieux and Yzerman willed it. And don't forget who else was missing from this team, Brendan Shanahan. I don't know how much say Quinn had in selecting this team, but based on the number of young scorers passed over in favor of veterans, I'd say he had too much. Where was Spezza, who would have had instant chemistry with Heatley? Add Shanahan to that line and they would have had a guaranteed 3 goals each game, with Shanahan filling in for Alfredsson. And how about leaving off Eric Staal? Canada really blew it with this team, selecting players who just have not produced on the level this year. Shane Doan? Jerome Iginla? I don't care what they did four years ago, they have done nothing this year. Poor decisions all around, from the line combinations to the players selected.

Quote:

The Watcher said:
2. Bryan McCabe didnt stand out in any positive way, so he wont ask for as much come the off season.

I'm sorry, but McCabe is over rated. He is not the best defenseman in the NHL. He's easily top ten, and maybe top five, but he is not a Norris contender. Just because he's finally found his offense does not mean he is better than guys like Lidstrom and Charra (I didn't used to like this guy, but there is no denying how good he has become). And don't forget Pronger, a guy who lives in the clutch. I would also take Lubomir Visnovksy of LA over McCabe, and Jovocop out of Vancouver. McCabe is good, but he's not worth what he'll be asking.

RDCW Profile

500+ posts
500+ posts
I pretty much agree with u with the exception of Jerome Iginla. He's one of the leagues best players. He deserves to be there. If not for his scoring, then for his leadership. But not having Brendan Shannahan there was a travesty

Canada lost because of Pat Quinn, plain and simple. I dont feel that any of the players were at fault. He had Canada play the exact same system as the Leafs. Floating around, waiting for the perfect pass, not back checking, barely fore checking, not letting certain lines get some chemistry by switching them around too much. These are all things that teams under Pat Quinn do. Just watch a Leaf game.

As for McCabe, the only reason I like him is because of his heart and grit. Belfour's been run at a few times and the only ones to do anything are Tucker, Allison, and McCabe. Thats why I think Toronto should sign him.

I'd take a McCabe and a Tucker over a Vishnovsky and a Gaborik any day.

JLA for MO....oh....

999,999 Points, Sucka!
PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
McCabe and Tucker have a lot of heart and grit, but there are guys who do that for less. Toronto needs to start looking at the guys for less, and spending on the skill. An AHL guy will come out and play with all the heart you need to kill a penalty every night, but when you need a big time goal on the power play, the money has to be available to pay the big time finess player to set the play up.

RDCW Profile

I Am Groot
5000+ posts
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
I have just one comment to make regarding the tournament:
MIKE MODANO SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED ANYWHERE NEAR TEAM USA EVER AGAIN.

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Don't worry, like Jeremy Roenick this year, Modano is like out. There were some young players who were passed over so that Modano could play. The Olympics are a privilage, not a right. In four years, USA will look very different, and I think the team will play a lot better.

RDCW Profile

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
At this point, I don't think it matters if Finland defeats Russia, which I think it will. I think the Detroit Red Swedes will win the Gold. The Swedes are just too good, and the Red Wings line is now playing together every shift. It paid off big time with a goal to seal the game. Plus, Kronwall played with Lidstrom, and those two looked great out there. Obviously the Wings are screwed Tuesday night because they might wind up playing without some if not all five of their Olympic Swedes in San Jose, but what can you do?

RDCW Profile

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
So, Finland defeated Russia, and Russia looked like a bunch of ass holes against the Czechs. Now I remember why I don't like Russian hockey players anymore. Even Datsyuk embarrassed himself.

It's the Fins and Swedes in the morning. I'm really looking forward to this game.

RDCW Profile

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
By far this morning's game was the best of the entire tournament. Sweden and Finland gave it everything they had, but it was Sweden that came up victorious.

There is a reason these two teams made it to the gold medal game. No other teams had the chamistry of Sweden and Finland. Both teams were loaded with brothers and teammates. Most notably, Sweden had a line of forwards who play together on regular shifts for the Detroit Red Wings. Not only that, Nick Lidstrom, the best defensman in the world, and Nik Kronwall, another Red Wing, made up Sweden's top defense pair when Kronwall began playing in the quarterfinals.

Little things like this could be seen on other teams as well. Team USA, although short on offense, had in my opinion the best defense pairing up until the quarterfinals with Detroit Red Wings Chelios and Schneider. They also had tremendous chemistry on their top and only scoring line between Devils teammates Gomez and Gianta. Canada had the top three players from Tampa Bay. But neither of those teams went far enough.

In a short tournament like this, chemistry needs to be instant. It's not something that can be developed over night. It's something that has to be brought to the tournament. Every national team should look at what Sweden did, at how they succeded.

Down 1-0, Sweden had the Red Wings line of Holmstrom, Zetterberg, and Samuelsson on the ice for a power play, and Zetterberg scored. Tied at one and on another power play, those same forwards, but this time with Kronwall on the point were back out, and Kronwall scored.

Of course, the game winner had nothing to do with the Red Wing line, but it was the best defenseman in the world, Nick Lidstrom, who rifled a shot past Niitymaki for game winning 3-2 goal.

And who was on the ice for the final minute? Lidstrom and Zetterberg. Zetterberg blocked a shot in the final fifteen seconds. Both players are regularly on the ice to protect a lead for the Wings.

Some pundits call chemistry over rated. Those pundits are just going to continue shoving both feet in their mouths. It was chemistry that game Sweden the edge in these Olympics, much like it was chemistry that gave the NBA Eastern All-Stars the win at the All-Star game last week.

Both USA and Canada need to pay attention to what these two teams, and the Czechs (they may as well have been called the Czech Republic Rangers) did to assemble the top three teams in these Olympics. Otherwise, look for the same three teams to finish at the top in four years in Vancouver.

RDCW Profile

Link Copied to Clipboard