Next Thread
Print Thread
PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Smart Cameras, Guards to Protect WTC Site
By AMY WESTFELDT, Associated Press Writer Sat Feb 25, 8:50 PM ET

NEW YORK - Visitors to the complex that eventually will fill the World Trade Center site might have to submit to iris scans or thumb print analysis to get into buildings, while smart cameras try to match their faces to a photo database of known terrorists. Well-paid armed guards would be on patrol and sensors would test the air for lethal gases.

Preliminary details of a plan to make the redeveloped 16-acre site as terrorism-proof as possible were provided to The Associated Press this past week by former
    FBI agent James Kallstrom, Gov. George Pataki's senior counterterrorism adviser.

Kallstrom and city and federal officials are aiming for a higher standard of security than is currently in use for public spaces around the nation.

"This'll be reflective of the times we live in," Kallstrom said. "The consequences of attacking here could have more significance to the terrorists. It has a lot of symbolism. It's going to be extremely well protected."

Read the rest here.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
How is this symptomatic of an America that has lost its mind?

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Quote:

Visitors to the complex that eventually will fill the World Trade Center site might have to submit to iris scans or thumb print analysis to get into buildings

That's going overboard. Hello Big Brother. Metal detectors and other non invasive secuirity (like say, profiling), that's fine, that's normal. But even talking about iris scans and thumb print analysis to enter a public site? I'm sorry, but that's insanity.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
As someone who works in a public building, I respectfully disagree.

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
It starts in the WTC. It spreads to other offices. Eventually, it ends up at Dunkin' Donuts, where you can't enter the store without first passing the iris scan.

RDCW Profile

graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
luckily i have no reason to fear an iris scan, so i will never be without my dunkin donouts

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

PenWing said:
It starts in the WTC. It spreads to other offices. Eventually, it ends up at Dunkin' Donuts, where you can't enter the store without first passing the iris scan.

If anything, a private business has even more justification to do this since, as a general rule, they have the right to refuse entry to anyone.

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
If a private business wants to lock itself down, that doesn't effect me. However, this type of security to enter a tourist attraction is ridiculous. What next, everyone has to get an ID microchip implanted beneath the skin?

RDCW Profile

500+ posts
500+ posts
Your papers, please.

I work in a public building for the State of New York abut 10-15 minutes from Fort Drum. The extent of our current 'rigorous!' security measures consists of not-so-well-paid security officers signing in visitors into a guestbook, asking their in-building destination, and giving them a "Hi, My name is..." type of sticker to affix to their jacket/shirt (which alternates colors in no set pattern), with little to no pat-down of their personal effects. Then again, I wouldn't call Watertown, NY a hot-bed of potential terrorist activity, so the measures are scaled to the size of the buuilding and relative threat-level.

Even still... retina scans, thumbprint analysis... seems a bit overboard, and yet another bureaucratic hurdle that would hinder the timely access of legitimate clients from entering a place of commerce or government. Worse yet, just another aspect of heightened security that would-be terrorists would just love to find alternate ways of exploiting and circumnavigating. Besides... Joe Terrorist can't get in to Location X? Just set off the dirty-bomb at the door and get the same results.

graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
wasn't there a thread about that already happening?

and still at this point an iris scan to get into a place still does not bother me. why should it? i already have a badge with info on it to let me in or not. iris scan is different. i have no reason to be worried about it. especially not in a place that is going to be an assumed target, rightfully so, and they are tyring to protect the building as well as myself if i am going in there. there are limits, but at this point, talking about this one building, or small group of buildings, i see no problem.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

PenWing said:
If a private business wants to lock itself down, that doesn't effect me. However, this type of security to enter a tourist attraction is ridiculous.

It seems better than the alternative, namely, closing the attractions.

How many months/years was the statute of liberty closed?

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
G-man, there are only two ways to make an iris scan or thumb print security system work for the general public.

1) Get the iris scan or thumb print of every bad guy in the world on file.

2) Get the iris scan or thumb print of every person who wants access to the public venue on file.

The problem with 1 is that you can't track every bad guy.

The problem with 2 is that (aside from infringing on the privacy of the citizens of this country, and forgetting the abuse that is bound to happen if a system like this is ever put into full force) at any given time, a so called good person could actually turn out to be a bad guy, and therefore, the system is far from flawless. It only takes one mistake, one bad guy getting in, and the system is proven to have been the biggest waste of time, money, and man power ever. Oh, and don't forget the infringement on our rights thing.

I would rather live with the unknowns than live in a police state. I would rather have security personel trained to profile for the real bad guys than have people accidently get screwed over by a bug in the system.

We all need to face the facts here. As long as there are really bad people out there who have no respect for the sanctity of human life shit will happen.

If we alter our lives in some ridiculous manner, all to try and avoid the shit that will happen, it won't matter, because more shit will happen. Either the bad people will find a way to make the shit happen, or worse, we'll wind up creating new shit to make happen to ourselves.

RDCW Profile

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
As someone who works in a public building, I respectfully disagree.

Where's Tim McVie when you need him?

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
1) it's McVeigh.
2) He was executed.
3) You're an asshole. Die. Now.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

casselmm47 said:
Your papers, please.

I work in a public building for the State of New York abut 10-15 minutes from Fort Drum. The extent of our current 'rigorous!' security measures consists of not-so-well-paid security officers signing in visitors into a guestbook, asking their in-building destination, and giving them a "Hi, My name is..." type of sticker to affix to their jacket/shirt (which alternates colors in no set pattern), with little to no pat-down of their personal effects. Then again, I wouldn't call Watertown, NY a hot-bed of potential terrorist activity, so the measures are scaled to the size of the buuilding and relative threat-level.

Even still... retina scans, thumbprint analysis... seems a bit overboard, and yet another bureaucratic hurdle that would hinder the timely access of legitimate clients from entering a place of commerce or government. Worse yet, just another aspect of heightened security that would-be terrorists would just love to find alternate ways of exploiting and circumnavigating. Besides... Joe Terrorist can't get in to Location X? Just set off the dirty-bomb at the door and get the same results.

My company leased space in the SF Federal Reserve Bank building and I worked there for several years. I never worried about any intruders even though the infamous murders at Pettit & Martin in 101 California happened directly across Market from our building.

In the morning when I arrived at the outside gates I was greeted with my first cam and used a security access card to open the gate. Once on the grounds I entered the building through a corridor that had a stainless steel guard booth with 2 inch bullet-proof glass and gun ports. I walked up and presented my photo ID to the guard who released a gate that allowed me to pass. When I got to my floor a seperate pass card was required. I could then enter my office.

Once I was getting into the elevator alone and noticed my shirt was untucked so I decided to tuck it in. I dropped my briefcase and quickly undid my pants to fix it. The elevator car came to a screaching halt and a voice came on a speaker and asked me what I was doing. "Uh, just tucking in my shirt tale". He released the 'vator and allowed me to proceed to my floor.

Link Copied to Clipboard