Page 1 of 2 1 2
#687419 2006-06-22 2:49 AM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Report: Hundreds of WMDs Found in Iraq

The United States has found 500 chemical weapons in Iraq since 2003, and more weapons of mass destruction are likely to be uncovered.

"We have found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, chemical weapons," Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., said in a quickly called press conference late Wednesday afternoon.

Reading from a declassified portion of a report by the National Ground Intelligence Center, a Defense Department intelligence unit, Santorum said: "Since 2003, coalition forces have recovered approximately 500 weapons munitions which contain degraded mustard or sarin nerve agent. Despite many efforts to locate and destroy Iraq's pre-Gulf War chemical munitions, filled and unfilled pre-Gulf War chemical munitions are assessed to still exist."

"This says weapons have been discovered, more weapons exist and they state that Iraq was not a WMD-free zone, that there are continuing threats from the materials that are or may still be in Iraq," said Rep. Pete Hoekstra, R-Mich., chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.

The weapons are thought to be manufactured before 1991 so they would not be proof of an ongoing WMD program in the 1990s. But they do show that Saddam Hussein was lying when he said all weapons had been destroyed, and it shows that years of on-again, off-again weapons inspections did not uncover these munitions.

Hoekstra said the report, completed in April but only declassified now, shows that "there is still a lot about Iraq that we don't fully understand."

Asked why the Bush administration, if it had known about the information since April or earlier, didn't advertise it, Hoekstra conjectured that the president has been forward-looking and concentrating on the development of a secure government in Iraq.

Santorum pointed out that during Wednesday's debate, several Senate Democrats said that no weapons of mass destruction had been found in Iraq, a claim, he said, that the declassified document proves is untrue.

"This is an incredibly — in my mind — significant finding. The idea that, as my colleagues have repeatedly said in this debate on the other side of the aisle, that there are no weapons of mass destruction, is in fact false," he said.

As a result of this new information, under the aegis of his chairmanship, Hoekstra said he is going to ask for more reporting by the various intelligence agencies about weapons of mass destruction.

"We are working on the declassification of the report. We are going to do a thorough search of what additional reports exist in the intelligence community. And we are going to put additional pressure on the Department of Defense and the folks in Iraq to more fully pursue a complete investigation of what existed in Iraq before the war," Hoekstra said.

Click here to read the declassified portion of the NGIC report

Oh, and for the "Bush LIED" crowd, let me just say:

the G-man #687420 2006-06-22 2:52 AM
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
why would they not report this immediately?

seems a little fishy.

oh wait that's just elsia.

PJP #687421 2006-06-22 3:07 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Isn't there already a thread that contains all the other old "WMDs have been found" pronouncements over the years?

Fair play!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
That's what I was gonna ask - not like this one would affect you at all either.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Bush lied!

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
It doesn't matter what teh facts are, the Dems have thier mantra, and they're sticking to it!

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
It doesn't matter what teh facts are, the Dems have thier mantra, and they're sticking to it!

since when is PJP a Democrat?

Bow ties are coool.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
He's not, I was responding to MEM and to teh Dems reported in the story.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Er....Wait. So they found a whole lot more sarin than they let on and they decided to make the info classified?

That's brilliant! Wait until every single nay-sayer says the war is a total failure and then, just as they're inserting their feet in their mouths, give them a healthy dose of "SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

Pariah #687428 2006-06-22 7:51 AM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
this sounds fishy, as PJP pointed out. They've "found" stuff before that turned out to be false.
Its the boy who cried wolf. You lie too many times and its hard for people to believe it.

Bow ties are coool.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Again, they haven't lied. Even the example you used of them finding muntions that they thought were WMDs that later turned out not to be isn't a lie. Infact it answers the "fishyness" that you and PJP smell. If they've blundered in the past by rushing to judgement then they learned thier lesson and decided to wait untill they collected enough evidence to be sure of thier claim before making it public... this sounds like quite the opposite of the boy who cried wolf. I think the boy who cried wolf better describes those who keep claiming we're losing the day before another victory and want to huury up and get out of Iraq before we collect enough victories that they can no longer claim we're losing.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Again, they haven't lied. Even the example you used of them finding muntions that they thought were WMDs that later turned out not to be isn't a lie. Infact it answers the "fishyness" that you and PJP smell. If they've blundered in the past by rushing to judgement then they learned thier lesson and decided to wait untill they collected enough evidence to be sure of thier claim before making it public... this sounds like quite the opposite of the boy who cried wolf. I think the boy who cried wolf better describes those who keep claiming we're losing the day before another victory and want to huury up and get out of Iraq before we collect enough victories that they can no longer claim we're losing.

that's possible, but they have lied to us in the past. numerous times. they've lied, made errors, and been incompetant. how many chances should i give them?

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Ray, to date, you've been unable to document a single actual lie. At best you've shown failures of intelligence gathering or legitimate differences of opinion.

And now we have reports that Saddam did have WMDs.

It's over, ray. The "Bush LIED" canard is played out. Time to go back to the well for a new talking point.

the G-man #687432 2006-06-22 3:57 PM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Ray, to date, you've been unable to document a single actual lie. At best you've shown failures of intelligence gathering or legitimate differences of opinion.

i have pointed out flat out lies. just because you refuse to acknowledge the truth of the matter means little to me at this point.

Quote:

And now we have reports that Saddam did have WMDs.

again, i'm skeptical due to bush's record.

Quote:

It's over, ray. The "Bush LIED" canard is played out. Time to go back to the well for a new talking point.

again, skeptical. again, bush has lied. and, please stop cutting everything down to fox news bits of info. the world requires more than a snappy sentence.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
You're mistaken (or, using your logic, "lying"). Senators, not Bush, called the press conference yesterday that revealed the existence of these WMDs. So even if you weren't mistaken (or, using your logic, "lying") about Bush's record, that record is irrelevant to this news.

the G-man #687434 2006-06-22 4:05 PM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
You're mistaken (or, using your logic, "lying"). Senators, not Bush, called the press conference yesterday that revealed the existence of these WMDs. So even if you weren't mistaken (or, using your logic, "lying") about Bush's record, that record is irrelevant to this news.

look, bush has a bad record. the republicans have a bad record.
do i think the democrats would be perfect in power? no. but i think we need to have a revolution every generation or so.
does that make me bad?

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Which republican senators "LIED" about WMDs in the past?

the G-man #687436 2006-06-23 2:41 AM
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Which republican senators "LIED" about WMDs in the past?

Okay, let's get real for a moment. 500 artillary shells armed with nerve gas are unlikely to decide a battle let alone cause Mass Destruction. That's probably why the White House didn'r run with it.

Quote:

DOD disavows Santorum's WMD claims

Sen Rick Santorum (R-Pa) and Rep. Peter Hoekstra (R-MI) held a press conference yesterday to announce that weapons of mass destruction had been found in Iraq, only to have their claims flatly disavowed by the U.S. Department of Defense.

Santorum and Hoekstra were talking about the degraded and inoperable remnants of Saddam's pre-1991 chemical weapons program that are turning up at various sites around Iraq. Their allegations are based on the U.S. government's own Iraq Survey Group. The very same report convinced President Bush that Iraq did not have WMD.

The DOD flatly disavowed the Congressmen's WMD claims. ThinkProgress: "Fox News’ Jim Angle contacted the Defense Department who quickly disavowed Santorum and Hoekstra’s claims. A Defense Department official told Angle flatly that the munitions hyped by Santorum and Hoekstra are “not the WMD’s for which this country went to war.”

Secondly, Rick Santorum is in a very tight race with Bob Casey to retain his seat in the Senate. He's grasping.

Quote:

San Jose Mercury News

Santorum's approval rating slides to 38 percent, poll shows
PETER JACKSON
Associated Press

HARRISBURG, Pa. - Bob Casey's lead over U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum has stretched to 18 percentage points since early May, as Casey picked up new support and the Republican incumbent's approval rating skidded to a four-year low, according to a poll released Wednesday.

No, Click Here!

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
G-man, be a good loser, and kindly retract your comments, and put that naghty index finger away. Either that, or perhaps you could keep going and say that the Department of Defence is also lying.

Quote:

The "Bush LIED" canard is played out.

For some people, it never will be, will it, G-man?

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Nothing to retract, Dave.

Whether it's old or more recent, Saddam said there were NO WMDs (he claimed he had destroyed them all).

The Dems have been saying for about three years there were NO WMDs.

If we're going to deal in absolutes, such as the war was ONLY about WMDs, let's deal in absolutes.

There were WMDs.

Furthermore, back in 2004, CNN reported that the United States removed nearly two tons of radiological and nuclear materials from Iraq in the previous month and that this material "could have potentially been used to make a 'radiological dispersal device' -- a so-called dirty bomb -- 'or diverted to support a nuclear weapons program.'"

Furthermore, despite Jay's claims (which are second-hand and from a partisan blog), the defense department has not disavowed this report. According to the Secretary of Defense:

What's been announced is accurate, that there have been hundreds of canisters or weapons of various types found that either currently have sarin in them or had sarin in them. And sarin's dangerous. And it's dangerous to our forces and it's a concern. So, obviously, to the extent we can locate these and destroy them, it's important that we do so. They are dangerous. And anyone, I'm sure, General Casey or anyone else in that country, would be concerned if they got in the wrong hands. They are weapons of mass destruction. They're harmful to human beings. And they have been found. And they had not been reported by Saddam Hussein as he inaccurately alleged that he had reported all of his weapons. And they are still being found and discovered.

So, despite the whole "Bush LIED" claim, Saddam hadn't destroyed all his WMDs. Saddam had nuclear materials. Bush didn't lie.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Didn't Bush finally admit a while back that there were no WMD's to be found? (besides old unusable ones that Saddam probably didn't even know about)

Fair play!
the G-man #687440 2006-06-23 7:05 PM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
If we're going to deal in absolutes, such as the war was ONLY about WMDs, let's deal in absolutes.

only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Bow ties are coool.
the G-man #687441 2006-06-23 10:45 PM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

For some people, it never will be, will it, G-man?

That's kinda, the point. For some people the mantra of "Bush lied" has nothing to do with reality and therefore it will never endregardless of the facts.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
As time passes, even after the official US search has long ended, and long after Bush officials have adopted the line that they were (rightly or wrongly) misled by defective intelligence, there will still be people who will say that Iraq had WMDs, just that they're missing, or in the desert, or in Syria, or that inconsequential old shells disregarded by the Department of Defence were actually the cause for war. Because there will never be an end point where someone can give up hope that they were there, so long as nothing is found: the true believers will persist.

Such is the nature of fanatical partisanship, where hope for a righteous justification defies even the inevitable logical conclusion reached by their political leaders: faithful to a lost cause, still snarling, and blind to reason.

Pimping my site, again.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
What is it about "classified" that you don't understand?

Or do you just like to throw around the word "inconsequential"?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

First Amongst Daves said:
As time passes, even after the official US search has long ended, and long after Bush officials have adopted the line that they were (rightly or wrongly) misled by defective intelligence, there will still be people who will say that Iraq had WMDs, just that they're missing, or in the desert, or in Syria, or that inconsequential old shells disregarded by the Department of Defence were actually the cause for war. Because there will never be an end point where someone can give up hope that they were there, so long as nothing is found: the true believers will persist.

Such is the nature of fanatical partisanship, where hope for a righteous justification defies even the inevitable logical conclusion reached by their political leaders: faithful to a lost cause, still snarling, and blind to reason.

Translation: No matter what happens or what evidence points to the contrary, Bush lied!

1500+ posts
1500+ posts

Nice try Dave, but Pariah and WBAM are the last 2 people in North America that believe that Saddam had a WMDs. WBAM still believes in the Easter Bunny, too!

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Isn't "Bush LIED" an absolute, Darth Adler?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

Such is the nature of fanatical partisanship, where hope for a righteous justification defies even the inevitable logical conclusion reached by their political [candidates]: faithful to a lost cause, still snarling, and blind to reason.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
6000+ posts
6000+ posts

Bitchswitch
25+ posts
Bitchswitch
25+ posts
The D's will never be happy. we might as well get used to it.

Rosey Palm
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Translation: No matter what happens or what evidence points to the contrary, Bush lied!

I don't think the issue is whether he lied or not. (I actually, personally don't think he lied about anything - Bush is a politician who believed defective intelligence.)

The real issue is there are no WMDs. There was no threat to America or global peace lying in wait in Iraq. The search for them is long over. No amount of obscurification changes that.

Pimping my site, again.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
Quote:

Such is the nature of fanatical partisanship, where hope for a righteous justification defies even the inevitable logical conclusion reached by their political [candidates]: faithful to a lost cause, still snarling, and blind to reason.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

But you couldn't, and never quite have been able to, have you Phil?

Always the follower, and never quite on the front line of debate. Being a cheerleader might make you popular with the boys, but it doesn't mean you're in the game and taking the hits.

Pimping my site, again.

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
I'd have simply posted this back again..

Seems only fitting since it's not anyone on the "left" flipping them off and making them look foolish (again).

whomod #687453 2006-06-27 2:54 AM
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I'll just make a post here so G-man doesn't see this coming from the "last post by..." thingy, and has a heart attack.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

The real issue is there are no WMDs. There was no threat to America or global peace lying in wait in Iraq. The search for them is long over. No amount of obscurification changes that.

Dave....Did you read the article?

whomod #687455 2006-06-27 3:03 AM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

whomod said:

Welcome back whomod. I take it they finally sprung you from Gitmo?

whomod #687456 2006-06-27 6:05 AM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

whomod said:
I'd have simply posted this back again..

Seems only fitting since it's not anyone on the "left" flipping them off and making them look foolish (again).

Welcome back!

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Whomod for mod.
Because it rhymes.

Bow ties are coool.
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts