Next Thread
Print Thread
#687609 2006-06-22 5:46 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Will all the liberals out there equivalating how Americans treat captured terrorists with how terrorists treat those unlucky souls they capture, please take the time to remind me when that last time was American soldiers did anything like this:

The bodies of two U.S. soldiers found in Iraq Monday night were mutilated and booby-trapped, military sources said Tuesday.

Pfc. Kristian Menchaca and Pfc. Thomas L. Tucker went missing after a Friday attack on a traffic control checkpoint in Yusufiya, 12 miles (20 km) south of Baghdad.

The sources said the two men had suffered severe trauma.

The bodies also had been desecrated, and a visual identification was impossible -- part of the reason DNA testing was being conducted to verify their identities, the sources said.

A tip from Iraqi civilians led officials to the bodies, military sources told CNN. The discovery was made about 7:30 p.m. Monday.

Not only were the bodies booby-trapped, but homemade bombs also lined the road leading to the victims, an apparent effort to complicate recovery efforts and target recovery teams, the sources said.
    It took troops 12 hours to clear the area of roadside bombs. One of the bombs exploded, but there were no injuries.

The terrorists captured two of our men, and what steps did they take?

The did not take them to a tropical island where captives are so well fed that almost all gain weight. Nor were they forced to put womens underwear on their heads, and they did not have fake blood thrown at them, or pull other fraternity/reality TV-grade tricks.

But I don’t hear liberals complaining about the actions of the terrorists, and how uncomfortable it must be for those captured by terrorists to be mauled with a power drill, or scorched with acetylene torches, or castrated, or beheaded, or hung, dangling from meat hooks while still alive, or raped with found objects.

No, the left can bear to shed no real, heart-felt words of sympathy, and they drop crocodile tears as they quickly use this occasion to bash both the Adminstration and the troops.

If we treat terrorists like anything other than privileged dinner guests it is torture by their sophomoric definition, and it’s the President’s fault. If terrorists, in turn, perform unspeakable acts of barbarity on our soldiers, it’s still the President’s fault.

Nothing is ever the fault of the terrorists, and the United States is never, ever in the right.

Oh, but I forgot: They "Support the Troops."

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Will all the liberals out there equivalating how Americans treat captured terrorists with how terrorists treat those unlucky souls they capture, please take the time to remind me when that last time was American soldiers did anything like this:

The bodies of two U.S. soldiers found in Iraq Monday night were mutilated and booby-trapped, military sources said Tuesday.

Pfc. Kristian Menchaca and Pfc. Thomas L. Tucker went missing after a Friday attack on a traffic control checkpoint in Yusufiya, 12 miles (20 km) south of Baghdad.

The bodies also had been desecrated, and a visual identification was impossible -- part of the reason DNA testing was being conducted to verify their identities, the sources said.

A tip from Iraqi civilians led officials to the bodies, military sources told CNN. The discovery was made about 7:30 p.m. Monday.

Not only were the bodies booby-trapped, but homemade bombs also lined the road leading to the victims, an apparent effort to complicate recovery efforts and target recovery teams, the sources said.
    It took troops 12 hours to clear the area of roadside bombs. One of the bombs exploded, but there were no injuries.

The did not take them to a tropical island where captives are so well fed that almost all gain weight. Nor were they forced to put womens underwear on their heads, and they did not have fake blood thrown at them, or pull other fraternity/reality TV-grade tricks.

But I don’t hear liberals complaining about the actions of the terrorists, and how uncomfortable it must be for those captured by terrorists to be mauled with a power drill, or scorched with acetylene torches, or castrated, or beheaded, or hung, dangling from meat hooks while still alive, or raped with found objects.

No, the left can bear to shed no real, heart-felt words of sympathy, and they drop crocodile tears as they quickly use this occasion to bash both the Adminstration and the troops.

If we treat terrorists like anything other than privileged dinner guests it is torture by their sophomoric definition, and it’s the President’s fault. If terrorists, in turn, perform unspeakable acts of barbarity on our soldiers, it’s still the President’s fault.

Nothing is ever the fault of the terrorists, and the United States is never, ever in the right.

you can't counter terrible acts with other terrible (but lesser acts). When we sacrifice principles for victory then the battle is lost.

Bow ties are coool.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

you can't counter terrible acts with other terrible (but lesser acts). When we sacrifice principles for victory then the battle is lost.

I agree with r3x. To do evil things is to become evil. To become evil like your enemies means you are as bad as they are..

Worse,even, because people in this country ought to know better.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
You guys are proving my point. You are saying that what we did is just as bad as torturing, mutilating, beheading and booby trapping bodies.

It's not.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
G Man, what I am saying is that you cannot become like your enemies. To some degree, we have, and there ARE US soldiers in Iraq now who have done terible things to the people there..it's documented in the news.

My point is to NOT become like the enemy..because then, you become the enemy, yourself.

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
And when we find out that one of our soldiers has done something wrong we investigate, prosecute and punish them to say, in fact, that we aren't like that.

When the enemy does something barbaric, they are lauded as heroes.

That's a big difference.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I don't have an answer for that. I wish I did. I wish someone did.

life." - Tuvok.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
You guys are proving my point. You are saying that what we did is just as bad as torturing, mutilating, beheading and booby trapping bodies.

It's not.

No, I said "terrible (but lesser)" acts. Two wrongs don't make a right. And just because our bad acts are less in comparison doesn't make them justified.
Does a vandal become a national hero when standing next to a gangbanger?

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

That's a big difference.

By who? Who calls the terrorists heroes? Is it their countrymen? I thought you supported patriotism.
Technically Iraqis cheering when a terrorist kills a U.S. soldier is no less evil than the joy (not relief, but joy) that people showed over Zarqawi's death.
If we want to be the good guys in the world, then we need to actually be the good guys, not lesser bad guys.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I think you metaphor fails. We are not there as vandals but as, for lack of better term, police officers.

Sure, we read about cases where the police do things that are wrong or illegal. But we don't use those acts to argue we should disband the police, or stop enforcing laws. Nor do we try to claim that those illegal police actions are causing crime.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I think you metaphor fails. We are not there as vandals but as, for lack of better term, police officers.

Sure, we read about cases where the police do things that are wrong or illegal. But we don't use those acts to argue we should disband the police, or stop enforcing laws. Nor do we try to claim that those illegal police actions are causing crime.

But if police were caught abusing prisoners or killing innocent people there would be calls for a change in how things are done.
And no one would say that calls for improvements hurt the police.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Actually, if the "change" went so far as to prevent the police from doing their jobs, a lot of people would say that "calls for improvements hurt the police."

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
so we're back to "question the war and you want us to lose" argument.

you know g-man this is why non of the other mods like you. yeah, i read the threads on the secret mod forum. try not being such a dick about things. to put it in terms you'd understand:
you're double parking your argument, and trying to block me in. well i won't pay more money to the meter of foolishness.
i'm writing you a citizen's ticket. requiring that you complete at least 200 posts of honesty or pay a 350 honest dollar fine.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
While you were in there did you remember to bring us our sodas?

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
While you were in there did you remember to bring us our sodas?

and once again G-man makes a joke and throws us all off-topic.
Its a shame you can't even handle the one ball Rob left you with.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Uh, Raymond, have you forgotten that you were the one joking around the immediate preceding post?

Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
you know g-man this is why non of the other mods like you. yeah, i read the threads on the secret mod forum. try not being such a dick about things. to put it in terms you'd understand:
you're double parking your argument, and trying to block me in. well i won't pay more money to the meter of foolishness.
i'm writing you a citizen's ticket. requiring that you complete at least 200 posts of honesty or pay a 350 honest dollar fine.

If you want me to go back to the forum being deadly serious, just say so. But then don't be suprised if I start moving your own jokey off topic stuff out of here.

But getting back to what we were discussing...

Today's Wall St. Journal has an interesting editorial about how the actions of the terrorists, towards our soliders and otherwise, demonstrate exactly why they don't qualify for Geneva Convention Protections:

The Pentagon yesterday announced the names of seven Marines and a Navy corpsman charged with the April 26 kidnapping and murder of a 52-year-old Iraqi man in the town of Hamdania. The accusations are grave and, if proved, will almost certainly lead to severe sentences. We suspect no parallel process is taking place among Iraqi insurgents for the weekend murders near Yusufiya of U.S. soldiers Thomas L. Tucker and Kristian Menchaca.

That's a distinction worth pondering the next time you hear Iraq war critics carp at the U.S. refusal to apply Geneva Convention privileges to enemy combatants. The Convention extends those privileges to combatants who abide by the laws it sets for war, including the treatment of prisoners.

Combatants who fail to obey those laws--by not wearing distinctive military insignia or targeting civilians--are not entitled to its privileges. If they were, the very purpose of the Convention would be rendered a nonsense. And this is why the U.S. has refused Geneva privileges to the enemy combatants at Guantanamo, which we hope is an argument heeded by the Supreme Court as it decides the Hamdan case.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
G Man, what I am saying is that you cannot become like your enemies. To some degree, we have, and there ARE US soldiers in Iraq now who have done terible things to the people there..it's documented in the news.

My point is to NOT become like the enemy..because then, you become the enemy, yourself.

You make it sound like America is some sort of shining bastion of righteousness when it is most certainly not (and even if we did torture, I still don't see how we couldn't be righteous at the same time). Maybe to our citizens, but why to our enemies? We're just like any other country in this world trying to survive. Do you really think we can do that by preaching what you believe to be the moral failings of a system that works? Do you enjoy being taken advantage of? Do you enjoy standing idly by why our soldiers get tortured beyond belief?

Outlawing torture is not going to keep other people from torturing. There's a little something called "deterrence". Look it up. I'd rather be feared than put on a meat-hook.

Furthermore, by what logic do you denounce torture? What's your reasoning for being against it towards enemy combatants?

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

You make it sound like America is some sort of shining bastion of righteousness when it is most certainly not (and even if we did torture, I still don't see how we couldn't be righteous at the same time). Maybe to our citizens, but why to our enemies? We're just like any other country in this world trying to survive. Do you really think we can do that by preaching moral failings of a system that works? Do you enjoy being taken advantage of? Do you enjoy standing idly by why our soldiers get tortured beyond belief?

Outlawing torture is not going to keep other people from torturing. There's a little something called "deterrence". Look it up. I'd rather be feared than put on a meat-hook.

Furthermore, by what logic do you denounce torture? What's your reasoning for being against it towards enemy combatants?

Sometimes, the only way to win at a game is not to play, Pariah.

And I chose not to play your game.

No matter what I say, with you, I am wrong.

You win! Wow, isn't that special?

life." - Tuvok.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
And when we find out that one of our soldiers has done something wrong we investigate, prosecute and punish them to say, in fact, that we aren't like that.

That's a big difference.

I haven't heard anyone here laud the insurgents soldiers responsible for these deaths. Maybe you can point it out for me? Ray didn't. Beardguy didn't. I didn't.

I'm terribly sorry these to boys lost their lives in this manner and for the dubious policies of the administration. But it's war and what goes around comes around.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I meant that, when the enemy does something barbaric, they are lauded as heroes by their fellow insurgents, as opposed to how our military weeds them out, prosecutes and punishes them.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

That's a big difference.

I haven't heard anyone here laud the insurgents soldiers responsible for these deaths. Maybe you can point it out for me? Ray didn't. Beardguy didn't. I didn't.

I'm terribly sorry these to boys lost their lives in this manner and for the dubious policies of the administration. But it's war and what goes around comes around.

You didn;t laud the enemy, but you did end your post by essentially saying teh saodiers "got what was comin' to them".

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k

Link Copied to Clipboard