Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Another month, another Previews…Random thoughts as I read through this thing at work…

Starting off with the Marvel book here…

ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #34
Written by MIKE CAREY
Pencils & Cover by PASQUAL FERRY
“GOD WAR”
You’ve never witnessed anything like the coming of Gallowglass! A crisis of truly cosmic scale reaches earth in the form of this son of a mad tyrant! From a dark, disfigured world he comes—a cosmic assassin crushing anything that stands between him and The Seed—a bizarre and powerful object that just happens to be in the hands of the F.F.’s leader, young Reed Richards. And Gallowglass is getting closer...leaving New York in ruins behind him! Part 2 (of 6)

Haven’t enjoyed too much of Carey’s stuff in the past, so don’t have high hopes for his run here either…I’ll give it a try before I start slamming it though…

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #100
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
Pencils & Wraparound Cover by MARK BAGLEY
Variant Cover by MARK BAGLEY
“CLONE SAGA”
A true milestone for Peter Parker, Ultimate Spider-Man and the Ultimate line—our double-sized 100th issue celebration! Chock full of secrets that date back to the book’s beginning—finally, chillingly revealed! And there are three—count ’em three—mind-staggering shock endings. It’s the Spider-Man event of the year with an exclusive look back at the series with Brian Micheal Bendis and Mark Bagley.

100 issues. Un-freakin-believable! I was one of the naysayers who said when this book was announced that it would never last. I had only read one or two comics by Bendis at that point, and I really, really didn’t like ‘em. I think it was the first issue of Jinx:Torso. I just remember that I hated his stuff, and had absolutely no faith in this title. I gave it a year, complaining that Marvel had recently canceled Spider-Man Adventures, which had followed the continuity of the 90’s cartoon series, so why the hell did they need a new “restart” book? I still remember being totally blown away by Bendis’s characterization in the first issue and shocked to find out that his origin would be spread over six issues! WTF?!?!?! Remember the rumors that Aunt May would end up dying instead? God, I’m completely gay for this book…I would like this book to start moving forward though…There’ve been plenty of sub-plots dropped over the years (the conspiracy stuff, Nick Fury’s promise to “own” Spider-Man after he turns 18, etc.) that I wish they would either tie up or at least move forward a little bit…

plus the first issue made me few hundred bucks back five years or so ago when I sold a couple of the extra copies I had bought on EBay…Can’t complain about that…

ULTIMATE X-MEN #74
Written by ROBERT KIRKMAN
Pencils & Cover by TOM RANEY
“MAGICAL”
The X-Men learn once and for all the mystery behind the Magician—and they may not like what they find. The X-Mansion is the stage for the brawl to end them all, with an outcome you will never guess. Plus—hints as to the final fate of Jean Grey, leading up to our monumental 75th issue! Part 3 (of 3)

Kirkman’s stuff on Ultimate X-Men hasn’t been my cuppa…Feels like they’re just killing time till the Singer run comes up…If it ever does…

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #536
Written by J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI
Pencils & Cover by RON GARNEY
CIVIL WAR TIE-IN!
“THE WAR AT HOME”
With Civil War in full-throttle mode, Spider-Man follows his conscience... and fast becomes a lightning rod for controversy. Unmasked and vunerable, this is Spider-Man as you've NEVER seen him!

FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #12
Written by PETER DAVID
Penciled by TODD NAUCK
Cover by MICHAEL WIERINGO
Mysterio has transformed Midtown High into a haunted house! But for the students inside, as well as their teacher, Peter Parker -- a.k.a. Spider-Man -- the dangers are anything but a carnival illusion. Will Spider-Man have to team-up with his one-time archrival turned friend, turned archrival again, Flash Thompson, to rescue the students? And what happens when another famous villain from Spidey’s past mysteriously reappears? 2 (of 5)

SENSATIONAL SPIDER-MAN #30
Written by ROBERTO AGUIRRE-SACASA
Penciled by ANGEL MEDINA
Cover by CLAYTON CRAIN
“THE DEADLY FOES OF PETER PARKER “ Part 2 (of 3)
Against his wishes, the Molten Man has joined the Chameleon’s efforts to bring down Spider-Man once and for all. Meanwhile, as Spidey reels from his battle with shockmeister Electro, the theatre where Mary Jane is rehearsing a play is under attack...by a swarm of deadly bees! Just how many deadly foes has the Chameleon enlisted to destroy Peter Parker’s life?

I loved the end to Civil War #2! I think this will be a great direction for these books for awhile. At least the next year or two, until Marvel undoes it…Anyways, as long as JMS isn’t crapping on Gwen Stacy or planning “The Other”, his stuff is pretty good. PAD’s stuff has been so-so. Not his best, but I have faith in him. Aguirre-Sacasa can move on now. Please? *sigh*

SPIDER-MAN LOVES MARY JANE #10
Written by SEAN MCKEEVER
Pencils & Cover by
TAKESHI MIYAZAWA
Mary Jane’s acting debut is mere weeks away, but with the play’s premiere set opposite a major Midtown High football match, you’d better believe the jocks aren’t gonna let it slide! Will Flash help ruin MJ’s big day or will he lose the respect of his teammates?

Another book I’m totally gay for! I don’t know why, but I really enjoy it…Check this title out if you haven’t already…

CIVIL WAR #5 (of 7)
CIVIL WAR FILES
CIVIL WAR: FRONT LINE #7 & #8 (of 10)

Civil War is turning out better than I had expected it to. I hope this holds up over the entire series…

CIVIL WAR: X-MEN #3 (of 4)
Written by DAVID HINE
Penciled by YANICK PAQUETTE
Cover by JUAN DOE
It’s X-Man vs. X-Man! But who fired the first shot and why? Bishop and the X-Men battle for the 198, but will Cyclops be able to contain the power yearning to burst from his body?

Am I the only one sick of David Hine and his further adventures of District X? Jesus, these characters weren’t that great in the first series…I’m surprised Bishop hasn’t shown up in Spawn yet…

CAPTAIN AMERICA #22
Written by ED BRUBAKER
Penciled by MIKE PERKINS
Cover by STEVE EPTING
CIVIL WAR TIE-IN!
The first of a 3-part Civil War tie-in by Ed Brubaker and Mike Perkins!
While Cap has fallen into the conflict of the Civil War, in a clash with his government and his friends, the people close to him have suffered in their own ways. In Part One of “The Drums of War” we take a look inside S.H.I.E.L.D., and how Cap’s girlfriend Agent 13’s life is torn apart as her divided loyalties are used against her by her superiors. Also, a new villain emerges, and the Red Skull begins to make himself known...

Such an ass-kicking book. One of those rare runs of comics where you read every issue as they come out and realize that this is a classic run that everybody’s work will be compared against for years to come…

DAREDEVIL #89
Written by ED BRUBAKER
Penciled by MICHAEL LARK
Cover by LEE BERMAJO
“THE DEVIL TAKES A RIDE” Part 1 of 5!
Daredevil’s search for the truth leads him out of the country, on a swashbuckling noir adventure that hasn’t been seen in the pages of DD for years! But, is this the other DD, or the original? Only time will tell, as the hit new DD creative team of Brubaker and Lark dive straight into their second arc.

I have become a complete bitch for Brubaker. This was another guy whose work I avoided for years because I had a bad impression off of one or two early books (Deadenders #1 and an early issue of Batman) and now I’m going back and trying to find as much of his early stuff as possible. Can’t wait til his X-Men begins either…

ETERNALS #4 (of 6)
Written by NEIL GAIMAN
Penciled by JOHN ROMITA JR.
Cover by RICK BERRY
Variant Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR.
Worlds come apart, realities are endangered and the lives of millions hang in the balance as The Sleeper wakes...
Neil Gaiman (MARVEL: 1602, Sandman, Anansi Boys) and John Romita Jr. (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, WOLVERINE) deliver a mind-blowing story of cosmic proportions. With Ikaris dead, can the other Eternals put the pieces of their mysterious dreams together?

John Romita Jr is finally coming to Wizard World Chicago!!! Earlier this week I was considering skipping the con because of some personal crap that came up, but then I read that JRJr would be there. This may be only chance to get a sketch from my all-time favorite Artist. Jesus, I hope so…

FANTASTIC FOUR #541
Penciled by MIKE MCKONE
Cover by ADI GRANOV
CIVIL WAR TIE-IN!
Things get worse...

Haven’t really been able to get into JMS’s FF…This book is definitely on the bubble for me…

HEROES FOR HIRE #2
Written by JIMMY PALMIOTTI & JUSTIN GRAY
Pencils & Cover by BILLY TUCCI
CIVIL WAR TIE-IN!

How many freakin’ books do these two write every month?!?!?! Plus Palmiotti inks at least two or three mags a month too…Jesus!

INCREDIBLE HULK #98
Written by GREG PAK
Penciled by AARON LOPRESTI
Cover by LADRÖNN
PLANET HULK: ANARCHY, Part 3 (of 4)
It’s Warbound versus Warbound on Planet Sakaar! The Hulk has survived the horrors of the Maw and the Great Arena by pledging an oath of brotherhood with his fellow gladiators. But can he truly trust them — and himself? Which of the Hulk’s gladiator allies challenges his rule? And can their Warbound oath survive? Also this issue: Learn the secret history of the Emperor’s mysterious Shadow Guard Lieutenant -- and marvel at the shocking showdown between the Lieutenant and the Hulk! The “Planet Hulk” Anarchy storyline nears its heart-stopping conclusion!

This story-line has been…eh. Nice concept, but the execution has been so-so…

1602: FANTASTICK FOUR #1 (of 5)
Written by PETER DAVID
Penciled by PASCAL ALIXE
Cover by LENIL YU
Doom returns! The Four from the Fantastik’s greatest enemy has an insidious plan that takes them to the ends of the Earth! Peter David (FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN, X-FACTOR) takes the reins with superstar artist-to-be Pascal Alixe (Superman, The Legion) for the eagerly awaited spin-off from Neil Gaiman’s 1602. What does Doom want? Why doesn’t Invisible Woman want to fight him? And what does Shakespeare have to do with it?

I didn’t think that Gaimen’s original mini was all that great…and the spin-off that came out last year was terrible (At least the first issue was, didn’t stick around for the rest…), but I’ve got high hopes for this one…At least with PAD writing it, it should be fun…

MARVEL ADVENTURES SPIDER-MAN #19
Written by PETER DAVID
Penciled by MIKE NORTON
Cover by CAMERON STEWART
What’s green and scaly and likes parading around New York City in big purple underpants? You guessed it...FIN FANG FOOM! Will Spidey figure out how to put the kibosh on the devilish dragon, or will he be...squished?

PAD writing this book is a match made in heaven…

MS. MARVEL #7
Written by BRIAN REED
Penciled by ROBERTO DE LA TORRE
Cover by DAVID MACK
CIVIL WAR TIE-IN!
Ms. Marvel and WONDER MAN team-up to track down a pair of rogue heroes -- one of them is an ex-Avenger! Meanwhile, guest star ARANA not only begins training with Ms. Marvel, but must also reveal her double life to her father!

MS. MARVEL VOL. 1: BEST OF THE BEST PREMIERE HC
Written by BRIAN REED
Penciled by ROBERTO DE LA TORRE
Cover by FRANK CHO
Straight out of the pages of New Avengers and House of M! Call your friends, wake the neighbors, shout it from the rooftops! Come along for one heck of a wild ride as Brian Reed (co-writer of the thrilling SPIDER-WOMAN: ORIGIN) joins forces with penciler extraordinaire Rob de la Torre for an action-packed adventure that includes special guest-stars Captain America and Jessica Jones. All this and an alien invasion that could mean the end of life on Earth, is tucked inside a cover by Eisner Award-nominated Frank Cho. Collects MS. MARVEL #1-5 AND GIANT-SIZE MS. MARVEL #1.

This is a decently written super-hero(ine) book. Nothing spectacular, but certainly better than a lot of crap I’ve read over the years. Unfortunately, for my ever tightening wallet, decent doesn’t go very far anymore…And a hardcover? Why? It wasn’t that great…

NEXTWAVE: AGENTS OF H.A.T.E. #8
Written by WARREN ELLIS
Pencils & Cover by STUART IMMONEN
Not in this issue: The Nextwave squad runs a marathon! Who wins? Who loses? Who crawls over the finish line? Also, they drink lots of Bromo-Fizz!
In this issue: Oh, no! The Mindless Ones are loose in an American Town and only Nextwave can stop them! Watch people get kicked and things explode!
Isn’t what happens more exciting than what doesn’t happen? LIFE IS GREAT!

This is a different flavored book, which so far has been kinda fun, but the premise can wear thin really quick if Ellis isn’t careful. Kinda like the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League. Fun for a while, but got stale pretty quick…

PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL #1
Written by MATT FRACTION
Art & Cover by ARIEL OLIVETTI
Hey there, Marvel Universe. He’s back...with a vengeance. Taking no prisoners. Literally. With Civil War in full throttle mode, Frank Castle is feeling the heat. His safe houses have been raided, his munitions seized, and he’s square in the crosshairs of a Marvel Universe big gun who always gets his man. Until now, this wasn’t Frank’s war. But when Spandex-clad baddies start carrying badges...well, lets’ just say that’s something the Punisher can’t abide. Brought to you by rising star Matt Fraction (THE LAST OF THE INDEPENDANTS), with eye-popping art by superstar artist Ariel Olivetti (LAST AVENGERS STORY).

PUNISHER #37 & 38
Written by GARTH ENNIS
Penciled by GORAN PARLOV
Cover by TIM BRADSTREET
“MAN OF STONE” Parts 1 & 2
The last time General Nikolai Alexandrovich Zakharov encountered Frank Castle, the two men were playing chicken with a dozen nuclear warheads over Moscow. Since then, well, let’s just say Zakharov’s not the type to forgive and forget. When a mutual enemy of Castle comes with the perfect plan to lure Frank out of his hole, Zakharvo is all ears. That man is Rawlins. His bait? His former wife -- and sometime Castle flame: O’Brien.

Do we really need a second Punisher title? The Garth Ennis book has a nice flavor to it, but even that has proved that Frank Castle is a one-one character. The Max book has been on the bubble for quite awhile now, and I doubt I’ll even bother with the second book…And plus, a black and white variant? Why?

SHE-HULK #12
Written by DAN SLOTT
Penciled by RICK BURCHETT
Cover by GREG HORN
On the moon of Titan justice appears to be infallible. All matters are weighed by the impartial supercomputer, Isaac. And all testimony is telepathically pulled from the witnesses’ minds by MOONDRAGON. It seems like the perfect system, right? That’s what SHE-HULK is there to find out. But can she remain impartial, given that the defendant is someone she’d like to snap in two? It starts here: the final fate of the fallen Avenger, STARFOX!
Special appearances by THE LIVING TRIBUNAL, PIP THE TROLL, and... THANOS?!

Such a great book…I already miss The Thing…

STAN LEE MEETS SPIDER-MAN
Written by STAN LEE & JOSS WHEDON
Penciled by OLIVIER COIPEL & MICHAEL GAYDOS
Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
The first in a series of stand-alone specials celebrating the 65th Anniversary of Stan Lee’s employment at Marvel! First, Stan journeys to Greenwich Villiage to catch up with his old pal Doctor Strange—but things have certainly changed since the ‘60s! Next, the ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN team of Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley pays homage to the life and career of “The Man.” Then, Joss Whedon and Michael Gaydos take you to an interdimensional cross-time comic book convention! And finally, a representation of the classic Stan-scripted AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #87, in which Spidey reveals his true identity to his closest friends!

STAN LEE MEETS DR. STRANGE
Written by STAN LEE & BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
Penciled by ALAN DAVIS & MARK BAGLEY
Cover by ALAN DAVIS
The second of a series of stand-alone specials celebrating the 65th Anniversary of Stan Lee’s employment at Marvel! First, Stan and artist Olivier Coipel present a meeting between “The Man” and his web-slinging creation! And finally, a representation of the Stan-scripted Doctor Strange story from MARVEL PREMIERE #3, illustrated by Barry Windsor-Smith!

Great creators, great back-up stories, but Stan Lee scripted stuff? At least the art will be pretty…

SQUADRON SUPREME #7
Pencils & Cover by GARY FRANK
Iran, Africa, and the international community have felt the wrath of America’s top fighting force, but what happens when the war is brought home to the Squadron?
Has someone been able to gather a group up that can challenge the Squadron Supreme for world supremacy?

Another book on the bubble…I just don’t care about…Don’t know if I wanna stick around til the Ultimate/Squadron X-Over or not…

THUNDERBOLTS #106
Written by FABIAN NICIEZA
Pencils & Cover by TOM GRUMMETT
The CIVIL WAR gave ZEMO a chance to amass a supervillain army -- and now he is ready to unleash that fighting force on the GRANDMASTER, who plans to release an energy force across the planet that will lead to victory in his cosmic game of good and evil. But in this fight, who is good and who is evil?
When the dust settles and the Guardian Protocols are enacted, the T-Bolts will never be the same again!

I’m done with this book…I never have any idea what the hell is going on, and I just don’t care anymore…

UNION JACK #1 (of 4)
Written by CHRISTIOS GAGE
Pencils & Cover by MIKE PERKINS
Spinning out of CAPTAIN AMERICA, Britain’s premier super hero has mere hours to prevent multiple terrorist attacks on London by an army of super-villains! UNION JACK leads SABRA and the new ARABIAN KNIGHT into battle! But when his boss at MI5 risks innocent lives to bring down the enemy, Union Jack faces a tough choice--and the fate of London itself rests on his decision.
Don’t miss the limited series that redefines Union Jack for the 21st century, with stunning pencils by fan-favorite CAPTAIN AMERICA ARTIST MIKE PERKINS!
Guest starring: SABRA, ARABIAN KNIGHT, BATROC THE LEAPER, MACHETTE, ZARAN, BOOMERANG, CROSSFIRE, JACK O’LANTERN, SHOCKWAVE, and more! It’s all here, baby!

This is that guy who wrote the Deadshot mini last year. That was absolutely terrible…I’ll pass…

ASTONISHING X-MEN #17
Written by JOSS WHEDON
Pencils & Cover by JOHN CASSADAY
“TORN”
The X-Man destined to destroy the Breakworld has been revealed! Who is it and what will be done to them? Meanwhile, the Hellfire Club gets one step closer to finally reaching their prize! What’s the prize?! Even we don’t know! Part 5 (of 6)!

Cover of the month!

X-MEN: PHOENIX - WARSONG #1 (of 5)
Written by GREG PAK
Penciled by TYLER KIRKHAM
Cover by MARC SILVERSTRI
Part 1 (of 5)!
The Phoenix is back! But where has it been reborn? Fire and pain await the X-Men. Can they handle what’s to come?!

Am I the only one who thought the first mini-series sucked? At least that had Greg Land art…I’ll probably pass on this one…

DAREDEVIL VOL. 6 HC
Penciled by ALEX MALEEV & DAVID MACK
Cover by ALEX MALEEV
This deluxe hardcover concludes the Eisner Award-winning run of writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Alex Maleev! First, they outed Daredevil in the press; then, they married him and made him the Kingpin of Hell’s Kitchen. What could they possibly do to top that? Four words: WILSON FISK IS BACK! Also collecting Bendis’ first Daredevil arc, WAKE UP – a moody, heartfelt tale of heroism and family tragedy featuring fully painted artwork by David Mack (Kabuki). Why is Ben Urich, investigative reporter for the Daily Bugle, spending all his time with the catatonic son of a two-bit costumed criminal? And how is Daredevil connected to a child he doesn’t even know? His objectivity shattered, Urich finds himself doubting his journalistic integrity and the future of his very profession in this super-hero story unlike any other. Collects DAREDEVIL #76-81 and #16-19.

Finally, closing out the Bendis run, so that I can have it all in one big collection. And it’s got the original run he did with David Mack! Can’t ask for much more…Plus, they completely ignored the Daredevil: Ninja mini he did! Yay!!!

ULTIMATE IRON MAN VOL. 1 TPB
Written by ORSON SCOTT CARD
Penciled by ANDY KUBERT & MARK BAGLEY
Cover by ANDY KUBERT

This wasn’t a bad series, plus it turned me onto Card’s Ender series, which I enjoyed most of…Can’t wait for the second book…

ULTIMATE MARVEL TEAM-UP ULTIMATE COLLECTION TPB
Penciled by MATT WAGNER, PHIL HESTER, MIKE ALLRED, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, JOHN TOTLEBEN, CHYNNA CLUGSTON-MAJOR, JIM MAHFOOD,TED MCKEEVER, TERRY MOORE, DAVID MACK & RICK MAYS
New Cover by LEINIL YU
Collecting all 16 issues of Ultimate Marvel Team-Up, plus the star-studded Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special! Teenager Peter Parker may just have started out in the crime-fighting game, but there are plenty of heroes and villains already doing their thing. And it doesn’t take long for Spider-Man to encounter these strange new allies and enemies – including Wolverine, the Hulk, Iron Man, the Punisher, Daredevil, the Fantastic Four, the Man-Thing, the X-Men, Doctor Strange, the Black Widow, Shang-Chi and more! Take a wild tour through the ever-exciting Ultimate universe, as Eisner Award-winning writer Brian Michael Bendis teams up with the comic industry’s greatest artistic talents! Through the eyes of Peter Parker, Ultimate Marvel Team-Up showcases all the Ultimate heroes. From uncanny mutants to gleaming Avengers to rampaging green brutes, this volume has it all! Collects ULTIMATE MARVEL TEAM-UP #1-16 and THE ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN SUPER SPECIAL.

I’m still kicking myself for never getting a copy of the hardcover of this…Glad to see they aren’t ignoring it completely…

FANTASTIC FOUR VISIONARIES: JOHN BYRNE VOL. 6 TPB
Written by JOHN BYRNE,
MIKE CARLIN & JIM SHOOTER
Penciled by JOHN BYRNE,
RON WILSON & AL MILGROM
Cover by JOHN BYRNE
At last, the Thing returns from the Secret Wars – but he’s been replaced in more than just the heart of the team! The FF learn the shocking secrets of their deadliest enemy, and it only costs them everything they hold dear! Plus: Franklin Richards vs. Mephisto! And the Psycho-Man gives the Invisible Girl a makeover neither will ever forget! Guest-starring Daredevil, Spider-Man, Iron Fist and Luke Cage! Collects FANTASTIC FOUR #276-284, THING #23 and SECRET WARS II #2.

Looks like there’s only one more volume to go…By this point, Byrne’s work was seriously starting to slip, but it’s still pretty decent stuff. But…Secret Wars II #2?!?!?!? Why?

X-MEN: THE END BOOK 3: MEN AND X-MEN TPB
Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT
Penciled by SEAN CHEN
Cover by GREG LAND

Okay, ya know what? These mini’s sucked. Sorry. We waited two years this thing to play out and that was it? WTF…

WOLVERINE CLASSIC VOL. 4 TPB
Written by ARCHIE GOODWIN
Penciled by JOHN BYRNE
Cover by JOHN BYRNE
Enemies like Roughouse are hard to find, as Wolverine learns all too well when his favorite Asgardian sparring partner gets abducted into a dictator’s experiment! But the trail leads the mutant marvel to more menace than he expected in the form of a Nazi cyborg, an amphibious evildoer and a giant germ of the gods! Featuring the X-Men, the Avengers and Daredevil! Collects WOLVERINE #17-23.

I remember when these books were announced, and I was really, really excited for it…As soon as I made it out of Basic Training I made a bee-line to the closest comic book store to check this out and what did I get? This…pile of crap. I don’t think I’ve ever read the whole story…Plus John Byrne and Klaus Janson do not mix well together…

That’s about it for the Marvel stuff…Not much in the way of merch this month, although the Green Goblin bust looks kinda cool, but not my cuppa…How about that leather Wolverine mask? Gayest thing I’ve ever seen…

Get the fuck out!
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Now, to the DC side…

To be honest with you, there isn’t much DC stuff that really turns me on anymore, especially post OYL…All the books that I thought I would enjoy have really disappointed me, and only a couple of books really get me excited anymore…lets look, shall we?

BATMAN #657
Writtenby Grant Morrison
Art by Andy Kubert & Jesse Delperdang
Cover by Kubert
Part 3 of the 4-part “Batman and Son,” by the incomparable team of writer Grant Morrison and artists Andy Kubert & Jesse Delperdang! Batman brings his son home to Gotham City and introduces him to both Wayne Manor and the Batcave! But when Batman’s new son meets Robin sparks — and swords — will fly!

DETECTIVE COMICS #823
Writtenby Paul Dini
Art by Joe Benitez & Victor Llama
Cover by Simone Bianchi
Once she was the mistress of all growing things. Now the plant kingdom has rebelled and unleashed its deadly fury on Poison Ivy!
While struggling to protect his enemy, Batman is drawn deeper into a forest of intrigue where he uncovers a horrifying secret from Ivy's past. Don’t miss this thrilling tale of one of Batman’s deadliest femmes fatale by writer Paul Dini and artists Joe Benitez (WRAITHBORN) & Victor Llama!

Detective intrigues me, although I still haven’t seen any of Dini’s stuff. Him I have faith in. Morrison on Batman does absolutely nothing for me. I think I may be the only reader in fandom who wouldn’t give two shits if Grant Morrison never wrote another comic…

ALL STAR SUPERMAN #6
Writtenby Grant Morrison
Art by Frank Quitely
Cover by Quitely
The award-winning, best-selling All Star saga brings Superman back to Smallville to mourn the loss of his adoptive father. As Clark Kent returns to his hometown roots, the fifth Dimensional trickster investigates human drama from an entirely different perspective.
On sale September 20 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

SUPERMAN #656
Writtenby Kurt Busiek
Art and cover by Carlos Pacheco & Jesus Merino
Superman's battle with the alien monster known only as Subjekt-17 will tear a swath of destruction across all of Eastern Europe! But the hidden connection between the two may be the only thing that can save both of their lives…
On sale September 13 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

ACTION COMICS #843
Writtenby Kurt Busiek & Fabian Nicieza
Art by Pete Woods
Cover by Dave Gibbons
It's the cosmic wrap-up for Superman and his allies as they battle an alien invader who's like nothing they've fought before! Superman discovers a compelling secret — one that could swing the conflict in his favor — but without powers, how can he or the Titans prevail?
On sale September 27 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

See above for my thoughts on Grant Morrison, which carry over into All Star Superman also. I do love Frank Quitely though, otherwise this book wouldn’t even be on my radar…I still haven’t read Busiek’s Superman stuff (waiting till I have the whole thing so I can read it in one sitting…) so I don’t know if I’m gonna like this stuff or not…Thought I would love his Aquaman, but I couldn’t stand it…Who knows…When is the Richard Donner stuff gonna start on Action? I heard the rumor six or so months ago, and Wizarduniverse.com screwed up last week on one of their features, so I’m really interested in when they’re gonna announce it…probably next month’s Wizard…

ABSOLUTE DC: THE NEW FRONTIER HC
Writtenby Darwyn Cooke
Art and cover by Cooke

I like Darwyn Cooke. I thought his Batman: Ego GN was terrific, and I can’t wait till his Spirit stuff gets under way. But this? I hated it. Or what I read of it at least. I never made it all the way through the first issue. I read half of it, twice, and gave up. Plus at something like seven bucks an issue, I said “fuck this…” Oh well…

THE ALL-NEW ATOM #3
Writtenby Gail Simone
Art by John Byrne & Trevor Scott
Cover by Ariel Olivetti
Ivy Town seems to be getting stranger and stranger as the new Atom explores the fringes of his new home. But some mysteries don't like it when you bite into them — and they might start biting back!

TRIALS OF SHAZAM #2
Writtenby Judd Winick
Art and cover by Howard Porter
Enter Freddie Freeman — left powerless by the events of DAY OF JUDGMENT and BRAVE NEW WORLD — who finds his life outside of being Captain Marvel Junior in even worse shape. The good news: Freddie is given the opportunity to regain his abilities…if he can pass a few tests administered by the gods themselves. The bad news is he has to earn each and every ability from scratch!

I read that Brave New World one shot the other day…Not a single book in there appealed to me. Not at all. I’ll probably try the Shazam book, but only because he’s one of my favorite characters. But I just know that Judd Winick will fuck him up. Jesus…

AQUAMAN: SWORD OF ATLANTIS #45
Writtenby Kurt Busiek
Art by Butch Guice & Tony DeZuñiga
Cover by Guice

I finally caught up on this series the other day…That was forty-five minutes of my life I will never get back again…Jesus…again…

BLUE BEETLE #7
Writtenby John Rogers
Art by Cully Hamner
Cover by Duncan Rouleau
Wherein we lock Giffen in the basement and let Rogers fly solo! With the armor’s secret revealed, Beetle now sees everything that’s happened to him in a new light. Will it estrange him permanently from the heroes of the DCU?

This book has actually been pretty decent. I think I’ll keep checking this one out for a while…

CHECKMATE #6
Writtenby Greg Rucka, Nunzio DeFilippis & Christina Weir
Art and cover by Jesus Saiz
The return of SUICIDE SQUAD! Rucka teams up with co-writers DeFilippis and Weir (ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN) for a 2-part thriller that puts Amanda Waller’s pet project back in action with a CHECKMATE twist!

I was really excited for this book, especially after Rucka’s Omac mini last year…Then I sat down the other day and read the first three issues…What a steaming pile of crap! I have no idea what the hell is going on, nor can I remember who half the characters are…Names sound familiar, but Rucka doesn’t tell us why the hell they sound familiar…And I just can’t follow the damn book. What a major disappointment…

THE FLASH: FASTEST MAN ALIVE #4
Writtenby Danny Bilson & Paul DeMeo
Art and cover by Ken Lashley
The Flash loses his heart — and maybe even more — as the Speed Force’s secret is revealed!

So…This is Bart Allen then? I haven’t read the first issue yet, but that’s what I hear…I wish that Mark Waid were writing it then…

52: WEEKS 18-21
Writtenby Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Mark Waid
Breakdowns by Keith Giffen
Art by various
Backup feature by Waid and various
Covers by J.G. Jones
52: A year without Superman; a year without Batman; a year without Wonder Woman…but not a year without heroes.
WEEK 18: "Ralph, we’re the CROATOANS. We found Shakespeare’s GHOSTWRITER, we can find one of our own GUYS." Plus, The Origin of The Question by Waid and Joe Bennett!
WEEK 19: "What if I told you I could — using Booster’s DNA— bioengineer a superhero identity for you?" Plus, the Origin of Animal Man by Waid and Brian Bolland!
WEEK 20: "Adam’s right, Kory. This is way too big for the three of us." Plus, the Origin
of Adam Strange by Waid and Kevin Nowlan.
WEEK 21: "No disrespect, Raven, but we’re as much Infinity Inc. as you are Titans. Neither team is the same one it used to be." Special full-length story!

I finally got a chance to catch up on the first five weeks of this the other day and…meh. The narrative is too disjointed for me. Taking day by day really fucks up the pacing. Nice experiment, but I don’t think it’s working…Although, I did like the scene where Booster walks into Rip Hunters lab…Stuff like that always gives me a woody…

GREEN ARROW #66
Writtenby Judd Winick
Art and cover by Scott McDaniel & Andy Owens
“Away Game,” Part 2. It's one year ago, and Green Arrow is determined to retrain and improve his fighting skills! He hatches a
plan to save Star City, while adding newer, deadlier disciplines to his repertoire! And to do this, he must seek the aid of the person who trained Deathstroke!

This is one book that I’m actually enjoying more as a OYL book than I did before, surprising since Winick is writing it. This is probably the most I’ve enjoyed it since Meltzer did his short run…

HAWKGIRL #56
Writtenby Walter Simonson
Art and cover by Howard Chaykin
Hawkgirl discovers some historic truths and ancient evils that are linked to her origins and the enemies she's been facing in St. Roch!

I caught up on this book the other day too…Ugh. Didn’t like it anywhere near as much as I thought I would. Now that Chaykin is leaving it, I see absolutely no reason why I should bother with it…Buh-bye…

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #2
Writtenby Brad Meltzer
Art by Ed Benes & Sandra Hope
Cover by Michael Turner
Variant cover by Phil Jimenez & Andy Lanning
Best-selling author Brad Meltzer and the fan-favorite art team of Ed Benes & Sandra Hope continue the return of the World's Greatest Super-Heroes! The selection process continues — a new villain appears — and a sinister figure ensures that the first casualty is Red Tornado's android body!

Really looking forward to this…but one question…Does this book feature the original Wonder Woman or Donna Troy?

JONAH HEX #11
Writtenby Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray
Art by David Michael Beck
Cover by Art Thibert
David Michael Beck (Star Wars: Empire) lavishly illustrates the return of the mysterious El Diablo in the sequel to Jonah Hex #1! When Victor Romanoff's traveling sideshow freaks seek revenge, Jonah is saved from certain death by the supernatural being known as El Diablo!

Still one of my favorites…Who would of thought that my favorite DC book wouldn’t feature a super-hero and be written by Gray & Palmiotti? Bizzarro indeed…

NEW TEEN TITANS ARCHIVES VOL. 3 HC
Writtenby Marv Wolfman
Art by George Pérez, Romeo Tanghal, Brett Breeding and others
Cover by Pérez & Tanghal
Don’t miss this volume collecting THE NEW TEEN TITANS #17-20 and TALES OF THE NEW TEEN TITANS #1-4, with two stories named in Wizard’s “100 Best Single Issues Since You Were Born!” The Titans help Kid Flash’s possessed girlfriend, reunite with the original Starfire, team up with the Winged Wonder, Hawkman and much more!

Classic stuff, but this is one of the weakest stretches of this series. I hope they continue these archives through at least Perez’s last issue in the Baxter format…

SHADOWPACT #5
Writtenby Bill Willingham
Art and cover by Steve Scott & Wayne Faucher
All sorts of monsters and magic-based villains pop out
of the woodwork with a unanimity of purpose: to kill the Shadowpact! Nights at the Oblivion Bar will be lonely unless the team figures out what’s happening and how to stop it!

I actually enjoyed the first issue of this, which kind of surprised me. This stuff usually isn’t my style, but me rikey…

TEEN TITANS #39
Writtenby Geoff Johns
Art by Tony Daniel & Kevin Conrad
Cover by Daniels
Part 2 of “Titans Around the World!” It's off to Tokyo and to meet one of the many mysterious Teen Titans members from the missing year: the world's greatest teen magician — the all-new Zatara! Plus, Robin and Wonder Girl learn a horrific secret about one of their former members.

My other favorite OYL book. This one actually has a mystery that interests me…well, not exactly a mystery, but I am curious to see what happened in the year that they skipped. Sad to say, but only two of DC’s OYL books have really turned me on so far…*sigh*

WONDER WOMAN #4
Writtenby Allan Heinberg
Art and cover by Terry Dodson & Rachel Dodson
When the all-new Wonder Woman encounters the Cheetah, Giganta and Dr. Psycho, she discovers that Wonder Woman’s Rogues Gallery has undergone a radical transformation! Even Dr. Poison, Dr. Cyber and Osira are somehow more powerful and deadlier than ever before. But who is responsible for these magical makeovers? And will this army of revitalized rogues be too much for the gods’ newest champion? Find out in Part 4 of the 5-part epic “Who Is Wonder Woman?”

The first issue was pretty good, but is Donna Troy permanent? I thought the whole idea of Infinite Crisis was to reinvigorate WW, Supes and Bats…Having Donna Troy be WW and saying she’s part of the “big three” is kinda like calling AzBats one of the big three just because he was in the suit for a while…

WILDCATS: WORLDSTORM #1
Writtenby Grant Morrison
Art and cover by Jim Lee & Scott Williams
Variant cover by A Todd McFarlane & Jim Lee
Variant cover B by Jim Lee
Jim Lee makes his triumphant return to Wildcats, and he’s bringing along an impressive new collaborator: superstar writer Grant Morrison! The man who redefined the JLA and Superman — and created groundbreaking works The Invisibles and WE3 — now brings his considerable talents to the Wildcats.
In the aftermath of the events in Captain Atom: ARMAGEDDON, the WildStorm Universe has undergone a shift that will affect characters big and small. This first issue will reintroduce the Wildcats you know and love — but how will they differ? Be here in September to see the star-studded premiere of the all-new, bimonthly WILDCATS!

Two things about this…First off, where the hell is the rest of All Star Batman?!?!? And second, a variant cover by Todd McFarlane? Wow…I’m just kinda curious as to see what it looks like, and if it’s an old piece of art that they dug out or if it’s brand new. Otherwise, I’ll probably skip this book, it’s that whole Grant Morrison thing again…Although, I gotta give Jim Lee props for trying to make this book as good as he can again…Remember when Alan Moore wrote it? Of course, this is what, the fourth or fifth series?

BATTLER BRITTON #3
Writtenby Garth Ennis
Art by Colin Wilson
Cover by Garry Leach
The deep freeze separating British and American forces finally starts to thaw after a selfless act of heroism — but can they all come together as a single unit? Later, during a mission that encounters unexpected opposition, help comes from a most unexpected front.

A MAN CALLED KEV #3
Writtenby Garth Ennis
Art by Carlos Ezquerra
Cover by Glenn Fabry
In the 1991 Gulf War, Kev Hawkins and his SAS team saw something they shouldn't have — something no one should ever have to think about. Fifteen years later, Kev’s days are numbered — all because of a mission called Bravo Four Zero.

THE BOYS #3
Writtenby Garth Ennis
Art and cover by Darick Robertson
The dark new series by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson heats up as Wee Hughie gets his first taste of action with the Boys when Butcher throws him into the deep end. Meanwhile, meet the planet's mightiest heroes, The Seven, and the young superheroine who would join them.

Remember Preacher? Hitman? Ennis’s first run on Hellblazer? Remember when he used to be, hands down, the best character writer in comics? Jesse & Tulip? Constantine & Kit? Tommy and the-black-chick-who’s-name-escapes-me-right-now-but-it’s-on-the-tip-of-my-tongue-Tiegel-maybe-?? Great, realistic love stories with arcs that went up and down and didn’t always end in happily ever after. Now, we get the one-hundreth variation on arse-face. *sigh* Battler Britton might be pretty good though…

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: THE BLACK DOSSIER HC
Writtenby Alan Moore
Art and cover by Kevin O’Neill
Acclaimed writer Alan Moore once again joins forces with artist Kevin O’Neill for THE BLACK DOSSIER — a stunning original hardcover graphic novel that is the next chapter in the fantastic saga of THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN!
England in the mid-1950s is not the same as it was. The powers that be have instituted some changes. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen have been disbanded and disavowed, and the country is under the control of an iron-fisted regime. Now, after many years, the still youthful Mina Murray and a rejuvenated Allan Quatermain return in search of some answers — answers that can only be found in a book buried deep in the vaults of their old headquarters — a book that holds the key to the hidden history of the League throughout the ages: The Black Dossier. As Allan and Mina delve into the details of their precursors, some dating back centuries, they must elude their dangerous pursuers who are hellbent on retrieving the lost manuscript…and ending the League once and for all.
THE BLACK DOSSIER is an elaborately designed, cutting-edge volume that includes a “Tijuana Bible” insert and a 3-D section complete with custom glasses, as well as additional text pieces, maps, and a stunning cutaway double-page spread of Captain Nemo's Nautilus submarine by Kevin O’Neill. Don’t miss what’s sure to be one of the most talked-about books of 2006!

This sounds so great, but 25 bucks is little too rich for my blood…I hope the softcover has all the same features…

FABLES: 1001 NIGHTS OF SNOWFALL HARDCOVER
Writtenby Bill Willingham
Art by Charles Vess, Brian Bolland, John Bolton, Michael Wm. Kaluta, James Jean, Tara McPherson, Derek Kirk Kim, Esao Andrews, Mark Buckingham, Mark Wheatley and Jill Thompson
Cover by James Jean
Don’t miss this stunning original hardcover collection written by FABLES creator Bill Willingham set in the early days of Fabletown, long before the FABLES series began! Featuring sequences illustrated by Charles Vess, Brian Bolland, John Bolton, Michael Wm. Kaluta, James Jean, Mark Buckingham, Jill Thompson and more, 1,001 NIGHTS OF SNOWFALL is both an entry point to the critically acclaimed series and an essential part of Willingham’s enchanting and imaginative FABLES mythos.
Traveling in Arabia as an Ambassador from the exiled FABLES community, Snow White is captured by the local sultan who wants to marry her (and then kill her). But the clever Snow attempts to charm the sultan instead by playing Scheherazade, telling him fantastic stories for a total of 1,001 nights. Running the gamut from horror to dark intrigue to mercurial coming-of-age, FABLES:1,001 NIGHTS OF SNOWFALL reveals the secret histories of familiar FABLES characters through a series of compelling and visually illustrative tales.

Another book I’m gonna have to wait for the soft cover on…

DEADMAN #2
Writtenby Bruce Jones
Art and cover by John Watkiss
Part 2 of the debut story arc by writer Bruce Jones (NIGHTWING, THE WARLORD) and innovative artist John Watkiss. Brandon Cayce wakes up in another reality, one where the beautiful Sarah is his own wife, not his brother’s. Nothing makes him happier, but Brandon quickly discovers that for a dead man, opening doors between dimensions can have grave consequences even for the living.

So is this not even Boston Brand? Why bother?

And that pretty much does it for DC…Brave New World indeed…Seems like the same old world to me…

Get the fuck out!
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
And now just some other random junk as I scan through Previews…

Apocalypse Nerd #4…Slowest book ever, but still full of all kinds of Peter Bagge brand yummies!

Harlan Ellison’s Dream Corridor Vol. 2. I loved this book when it came out ten years ago. These softcovers are worth picking up…

Spider Kiss…Looks like it’s just a reprint of the novel by Ellison, not an adaption…

Star Wars: Legacy…I’ve gotten four or five guys at work hooked on this book. The preview issue looked really cool, lets see if it holds up…

Star Wars: Tag & Bink Were Here…Gotta have it!

I love McFarlane’s Sports figures, and he’s got a new NBA Legend’s series…Clyde the Glide, Magic, The Big O, Zeke, Clyde Frazier and the poster boy himself, Jerry West…If only he’d do a Bill Russell figure…

The Darkness Compendium…The entire run collected in one book for fifty bucks? Not a bad deal…Still, it’s not like I really care about that series…

Actor has a benefit book coming out, featuring work by Stan Lee, Mike Oeming, Ron Marz, Dan Jurgens, Paul Dini, Dave Sim and a shit load of others. Plus, it’s got a brand new Hulk story and a brand new Spider-Man tale. Ten bucks…

Treehouse of Horror #12 is coming out…Kyle Baker, Terry Moore and Eric Powell this year…

A new printing of the Bone One volume edition…I still haven’t read mine that I got a few years back…

Dynamic Entertainment…New Lone Ranger series…Too bad it’s not by Joe R Lansdale and Tim Truman…

I have decided that the best thing about Red Sonja is the covers…*sigh*

Dave Dorman has a cover for Classic Battlestar Galactica…And it looks like crap…Someday ask me about my Dave Dorman story…It’s very sad…*sniff*

Fantagraphics has a new issue of Tales Designed to Thrizzle! Yay! If you can get your hands on this book, by all means do. It’s a book in the style of Evan Dorkin’s Dork, Kerwon (sp?) Dwyer’s LCD and Arsenic Lullaby. Serious stuff for comedy fans…

The 9/11 Report: A Graphic Adaptation by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon. What the fuck? I hope they follow this up with an adaptation of The Starr Report. Plus, it just seems odd seeing these two working on something so…somber? Whenever I think of either one of them, I’m reminded of Marvel’s Star Comics line and Archie stuff. It is…Bizzarro!

Brad Meltzer has a new novel coming out…The books of Fate…Delving into the Freemasons…So now he’s jumped on the Dan Brown bandwagon too…*sigh*

Peter David has written a Battlestar Galactica novel…Sagittarius is Bleeding…

Infinite Crisis is out in a MMPB by Greg Cox. Wonder if he can make the ending anymore anti-climatic…

Ultimate Avengers 2! Still haven’t bothered to finish the first one…

Get the fuck out!
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Jinx and Torso were two separate Bendis books, Rufie.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I wanna hear the Dave Dorman story!!
Also well done(again)Rufie.Very enjoyable to read your thoughts on these books.I'm not a big Morrison fan either.I thought JLA was pretty good though until his last story arc.That was crap.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Quote:

Grimm said:
Jinx and Torso were two separate Bendis books, Rufie.

Two completely different books. Back then, when Bendis was just starting to get noticed, he labeled all his books under the umbrella title of "Jinx" to cash in on the popularity of his biggest success to date. He also put out a couple of one-shots of crap under the Jinx brand before he started working for Marvel...

Hence his website name also: Jinxworld...

Get the fuck out!

Link Copied to Clipboard