Next Thread
Print Thread
#691867 2006-07-08 6:29 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
The Green Party, I believe they are called. What's their deal? Where do they sit on all the hoo-ha in the world? What are some others? Why isn't there more support for someone other than the Big Two (Marvel and DC).....(I mean, Repubs and Dems)....? Would you vote for an independent candidate? Or, do would you stick with your current affiliation, simply because that's how it's always been?

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I can't remember his name now, but this ULTRA rich dude from Texas ran for Prez back in the late 80's or so on the independant ticket...his views on politics were scarey!

Still, he managed to get a lot of votes...but only enough to be in distant third place.....

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
I can't remember his name now, but this ULTRA rich dude from Texas ran for Prez back in the late 80's...his views on politics were scarey!

Bush?

Quote:

Still, he managed to get a lot of votes...but only enough to be in distant third place.....

Yeah, I remember him. But, he was a tard. Why can't we have a poverty-level or middle-clas, blue-collar President? Why must they always be rich and from Harvard, or something?

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
I can't remember his name now, but this ULTRA rich dude from Texas ran for Prez back in the late 80's...his views on politics were scarey!

Bush?

Quote:

Yeah, I remember him. But, he was a tard. Why can't we have a poverty-level or middle-clas, blue-collar President? Why must they always be rich and from Harvard, or something?

Because the rich want to control everything and they won't release their stranglehold on this country?

life." - Tuvok.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I don't know, Jerry. While that sounds perfectly rational, and inline with reality, I'm thinking that's a bit too liberal for this forum. Also, there HAS to be more to it than that, right? It can't be that simple, can it?

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
I don't know, Jerry. While that sounds perfectly rational, and inline with reality, I'm thinking that's a bit too liberal for this forum. Also, there HAS to be more to it than that, right? It can't be that simple, can it?

No, it is NOT that simple, but what I said does have something to do with it.

Things are set up so that a person must have a certain amount of education to enter politics. Many politicians start off as lawyers and then run for Mayor, Governer, etc.
This is their springboard into politics.

It takes a LOT of money to go to college, and then law school...and an ENORMOUS amount of money to run for office : ie, Ads, campaign sloguns, tv space, billboards, signs, etc.

Poor or middle class folks just don't have the capital for such a venture. It's a damn shame, too, because there are probably many poor - working class people who would make fine presidents. I would love to see a poor or middke class black man become president...NOT just to have a black president for the sake of having one, but, hey, isn't it about time?

life." - Tuvok.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Absolutely! Of course, having a middle-class President might be troublesome. I mean, instead of concentrating on allowing big corporations unfettered freedom, they might concentrate on improving the lives of their common man. And, I doubt many would think that's appropriate for the office of the President...

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Absolutely! Of course, having a middle-class President might be troublesome. I mean, instead of concentrating on allowing big corporations unfettered freedom, they might concentrate on improving the lives of their common man. And, I doubt many would think that's appropriate for the office of the President...

'Fraid so. I think that Teddy Roosevelt was the LAST President who actually broke up Trusts. He tried to change things, and to a degree, he was successful.

Sadly, most of the changes TR brought about during his 7 years or so in office were undone by his successor, Taft, and others.

life." - Tuvok.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:

Both Reagan and Clinton were from middle class families.

Both of them, obviously, went onto to success before becoming President, however, becoming fairly well off in the process.

However, since we tend to want our Presidents to be persons of accomplishments before they get the job and, as a general rule, accomplishment translates into wealth, it would be difficult, if not largely impossible to have a person get elected president who isn't well off.

About the only possible exception would be a career military person or, maybe a career politician. But I'm not sure either would be considered "middle class" or "blue collar".

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
The Green Party is more like Wildstorm/Vertigo. They have lots of former DC/Dems but with some more out there ideas that some people may be uncomfortable with.
Ross Perot's Reform Party was Image: poorly planned, boring, lots of pointless fighting, ruining the market.

Bow ties are coool.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
However, since we tend to want our Presidents to be persons of accomplishments before they get the job and, as a general rule, accomplishment translates into wealth, it would be difficult, if not largely impossible to have a person get elected president who isn't well off.

But, then, why do they have to be "accomplished"? Wouldn't common sense, or, moral and ethically stable be just as good? Why can't a good person, with a good idea, a good heart, and a good mind be capable of leading the country?

Quote:

About the only possible exception would be a career military person or, maybe a career politician. But I'm not sure either would be considered "middle class" or "blue collar".

I would lean more towards the career military before the politician. At least we would have a clearer idea of what the military man stood for, as opposed to, say, a politician...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
why do they have to be "accomplished"? Wouldn't common sense, or, moral and ethically stable be just as good? Why can't a good person, with a good idea, a good heart, and a good mind be capable of leading the country?

As a general rule we judge people on their accomplishments, not their intentions, in every field, not just politics.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
The Green Party is more like Wildstorm/Vertigo. They have lots of former DC/Dems but with some more out there ideas that some people may be uncomfortable with.
Ross Perot's Reform Party was Image: poorly planned, boring, lots of pointless fighting, ruining the market.

I dig this anology.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

That was the guys' name that I couldn't remember. Thank you, r3x.

life." - Tuvok.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Quote:

Prometheus said:

No, it is NOT that simple, but what I said does have something to do with it.

Things are set up so that a person must have a certain amount of education to enter politics. Many politicians start off as lawyers and then run for Mayor, Governer, etc.
This is their springboard into politics.

It takes a LOT of money to go to college, and then law school...and an ENORMOUS amount of money to run for office : ie, Ads, campaign sloguns, tv space, billboards, signs, etc.

This is exactly what I thought when I stumbled onto this thread. Yes, there are certain rules that must be met in order to even run for certain offices, but more significantly, at the end of the day, running for office is an insanely expensive venture. Every candidate, regardless of the party, has to have a "war chest" with millions in order to get their name out there.

But as G-man points out - there have been presidents who were born/raised middle class and later became wealthy enough to run for office. But someone who is currently middle class becoming the prez? It's a financially improbable, if not completely impossible.

Quote:

Poor or middle class folks just don't have the capital for such a venture. It's a damn shame, too, because there are probably many poor - working class people who would make fine presidents. I would love to see a poor or middke class black man become president...NOT just to have a black president for the sake of having one, but, hey, isn't it about time?

The same could be said for women. But I wouldn't vote for a woman, just because she's woman, despite the fact that I would like to see a female president in my lifetime. I think that's the mistake a lot of people initially made with Hillary - beyond what she has done/not done in her political career, which is a separate thread altogether - I think there is the mistaken assumption that women will vote for her just because she's a woman. Not so.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

But, then, why do they have to be "accomplished"? Wouldn't common sense, or, moral and ethically stable be just as good? Why can't a good person, with a good idea, a good heart, and a good mind be capable of leading the country?

Because those people don't want to be president.

Seriously, though, I think the problem with the whole "good" heart/mind/idea, is that "good" is a subjective term. How do you define it? It's not that simple, Pro. "Good" means different things to different people. There are people who think that Bush is doing what's good and others who don't. People who felt the same way about Clinton and his actions/policies, and so on and so forth. Fill in the blank with President ______________'s heart/mind/idea was in the right place and good and you'll find tons of people who though that that same President __________ was bad. Just the way it works.

Quote:

I would lean more towards the career military before the politician. At least we would have a clearer idea of what the military man stood for, as opposed to, say, a politician...

Would we, though? Yes, you would think that the military man was pro military, but that's not always the case. Military experience alters peoples' perceptions, just as swimming with the political sharks does. The truth is, politics is a game - a very high stakes one, yes - but a military background or no, politicians are going to say what they think they have to (within the parameters of what their party dictates, of course) in order to get elected.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:

Quote:

I'm not sure there's a distinction between a career military officer and a politician. Anyone that rises above the rank of Lt. Colonal or Navy Commander does so at least partly by political manuvering. If you look at the career military men that have risen to the presidency none was especially good. Grant is considered one of our worst. Eisenhower was mediocre at best. At least he did no harm. Other Presidents served and attained high rank in the post Civil War period however their careers began in 1861 and ended in 1865. Wealth and position were enough to obtain a generalship in that era. Even Jackson was a succesful lawyer before his stent in the Army in 1812.

Link Copied to Clipboard