Next Thread
Print Thread
#692147 2006-07-09 11:30 PM
cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
This is a series written by Robert Kirkman - it starts off very much like 28 Days Later (guy in coma wakes up to zombie-ridden world) and it takes off from there. I've read the first two TPBs and will read vol 3 and 4 next week. I was just wondering if anyone else has read this and liked it as much as I have so far?

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
I read the first one. It was good but not good enough for me to continue reading it. The character dynamics fall a little flat for my taste.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Uschi #692149 2006-07-09 11:47 PM
cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
I dunno - I'm digging the drama - vol 1 was the set up, but the relationships definitely started getting interesting in vol. 2 and the whole fight for survival thing is tres cool. The art changed from 1 to 2, though - vol. 1 art was by Tony Moore -I'm not familiar with his stuff, but I really liked his style, but vol. 2 has art done by Charlie Adlard, whose art just isn't as tight, and not really to my liking. The book is filled with zombie goodness, but its more than you're average zombie scare - the relationships and how the characters are coping with all the death surrounding them really seems to be the driving force here. I'm just hoping that the next two volumes are as good and keep up the momentum that its got going.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Kirkmans a cool cat. He actually lives down the street from me n Kaz' old apt in Richmond, KY.

Fused #692151 2006-07-10 5:50 AM
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I've read a few issues, and it's good. If you like the combined works of Kirkman and Moore, I highly recommend the Battle Pope series.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Isn't Battle Pope and anime/manga thing? What's it about? It doesn't ring a bell. And I finished vol. 3 BTW. The story keeps getting better and better.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
It's not anime. It was the first published work by Moore and Kirkman. It's about The Pope, granted incredible strength by God, who, along with his sidekick Jesus, fights demons and tries to score with as many women as possible. According to an ad that never made print- "It's so damn good it'll make your pecker hard!"

All hail King Snarf!

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:
It's not anime. It was the first published work by Moore and Kirkman. It's about The Pope, granted incredible strength by God, who, along with his sidekick Jesus, fights demons and tries to score with as many women as possible. According to an ad that never made print- "It's so damn good it'll make your pecker hard!"

He ought to do a sequel where Mohammed does all of the above. I'm sure it'd be a big hit worldwide.

the G-man #692155 2006-07-12 12:52 AM
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Oh, stop it. It's all in good fun.

All hail King Snarf!

cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:

Was it a series? Or a one-shot? If it was a series and its collected in trade, I may just pick it up.

I finished vol 4 and cannot wait for the 5th volume to come out. Walking Dead seems to be flying under the radar, but its really damned good. Each story arc sets the relationships up a notch and gets more intense and the zombie gore is done really well. Excellent.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
It was a series of mini's and one-shots. There are trades, and there are now monthly reprints in color from Image. If you have to get only one issue, get the Christmas Special. It's AWESOME.

All hail King Snarf!

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Walking Dead is awesome.

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
Danny #692159 2006-07-13 4:15 PM
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Thanks for the heads up, Harley....sounds good. I'm soooo far out of the comics loop, but after spending some time catching up with Diana, I've been craving a good read (where are the Invisibles when you need them....Morrison really, really needs to revisit them).

I'll check it out.

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
klinton #692160 2006-07-15 1:27 PM
cookie monster
7500+ posts
OP Offline
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Let me know what you think, klint. I hope you like it as much as I have. If you're looking to get back into the comics loop, I would also recommend Runaways (a new twist on the teen team up books - the interdynamics of the members make this book worthwhile), Ex Machina (NYC politics with a slight superhero twist) and Y: The Last Man (yeah, I'm a Brian K. Vaughan fan). But in all honesty, his stuff is always entertaining and interesting and in each book the hero/fighting antics take a back seat to characters' relationships.

As for the mainstream capes and tights, both Batman and 'Tec have been excellent since Crisis part deux ended - the best its been since Bruce Wayne: Murderer (not Fugitive which is when it started to go downhill...again). The Ultimates, Astonishing X-Men (available in TPB) and Birds of Prey (some story arcs are also available in trade); Young Avengers and Squadron Supreme (the JLA on crack - a little slow paced, but totally worth it and Gary Frank's art is real purdy) are all also excellent reads. And, of course, there is always Diana.

If you read any of these, let me know that too - it'd be cool to chat about 'em...

Link Copied to Clipboard