Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Crikey! Australia's "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin dies
Reuters

Steve Irwin, the quirky Australian naturalist who won worldwide acclaim, has died in a marine accident off Australia's northeast coast, local media reported on Monday.

Queensland state government sources quoted by Australian Associated Press (AAP) said Irwin, 44, whose television show "The Crocodile Hunter" won international acclaim and popularized the phrase "Crikey," was believed to have been killed by a stingray barb that pierced his chest.

He was filming an underwater documentary off Port Douglas when the accident occurred, the report said.

Sky Television also reported that Irwin had been stung by a sting ray.

Australian emergency officials could not immediately confirm the reports.

Irwin won a global following for his daredevil antics but also triggered outrage in 2004 by holding his then one-month-old baby while feeding a snapping crocodile at his Australian zoo.

giant picture
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
With the dangerous work he did, I am not surprised. He pulled that stunt of dangling his baby son over a crocodile earlier this year. I am sorry to hear that he died, but he was always putting his life in jeapardy, you know?

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Lor Offline
3000+ posts
3000+ posts

glad to be of pleasurable service

"don't worry hunny, we'll dig our own graves..."

1,032,000 points!
Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts
Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

The one I feel sorry for is his kid.
Get's to grow up without a father because his father was an idiot

I brew beer now. Brewing beer is cool.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I want to see it. This guy was a complete tard. Darwinism wins again.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
If Darwinism really had anything to do with it, a lot more people than Steve would be dead.

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Its a shame isn't it?

I was watching CNN this morning and the broads were saying how "shocking" and surprising" his death was. I can understand if you were unset by his death, but can you really be shocked or surprised? this is a guy who wrestled with crocodiles for fucks sake! There was nothing shocking or surprising about it.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

Killconey said:
If Darwinism really had anything to do with it, a lot more people than Steve would be dead.

Killconey sighting!!!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Yeah!

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Where? That fucker owes me five bucks!

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
Its a shame isn't it?

I was watching CNN this morning and the broads were saying how "shocking" and surprising" his death was. I can understand if you were unset by his death, but can you really be shocked or surprised? this is a guy who wrestled with crocodiles for fucks sake! There was nothing shocking or surprising about it.

I think the shocking and surprising revelation was that it was caused by a normally docile fish.

with that said those fucking things have always given me the creeps. I have never understood people that want to swim with them and feed them.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
Its a shame isn't it?

Perhaps it would be a bit non-sequitur for me to be surprised by him dying while doing his job. But his was such a consistent and radiant personality that it's hard for me to believe he's dead. He's one of those guys whom you always think is gonna be there.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Fuck, Pariahs gone all soft!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Fuck off you limey cunt!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Thats better!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Killconey said:
Where? That fucker owes me five bucks!

!!! Welcome back...

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
he should of gone snorkeling.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Crocs all over the world rejoice"about time someone took this fucker out!"

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Crikey!

life." - Tuvok.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:

Perhaps it would be a bit non-sequitur for me to be surprised by him dying while doing his job. But his was such a consistent and radiant personality that it's hard for me to believe he's dead. He's one of those guys whom you always think is gonna be there.

He's one of those celebrities that I always expected to die at any moment. Same with the guys from jackass and nascar racers.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
he should of gone snorkeling.

If he would have gone scuba diving he would have gotten eaten by a aligator.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Fuck, Pariahs gone all soft!

It's been made a well known fact how much Nowhereman hates it when guys "go soft" on him.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Crocodile Hunter's Death Caught on Video
By BRIAN CASSEY, Associated Press Writer
5 hours ago

In a file photo Australian Steve Irwin, of the ...
CAIRNS, Australia - Steve Irwin was videotaped pulling a poisonous stingray barb from his chest in his last moments of life, officials said Tuesday, as tributes poured in for TV's "Crocodile Hunter."

Police said there was nothing suspicious about Irwin's death and no evidence he provoked the animal. Irwin, 44, was stabbed through the heart on Monday while snorkeling with a stingray during filming of a new TV program on Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

John Stainton, Irwin's manager who was among the crew on the reef, said the fatal blow was caught on videotape, and described viewing the footage as having the "terrible" experience of watching a friend die.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone," Stainton told reporters in Cairns, where Irwin's body was taken for an autopsy.

Queensland state police were holding the tape as evidence for a coroner's inquiry _ a standard procedure in high-profile deaths or those caused by other than natural causes.

Experts have said the stingray may have felt trapped between the cameraman and the TV star. Irwin, the popular host of "Crocodile Hunter," rose to fame by getting dangerously close to crocodiles, snakes and other beasts.

But Queensland Police Superintendent Michael Keating said there was no evidence Irwin threatened or intimidated the stingray, a normally placid species that only deploys its poisonous tail spines as a defense.

Stainton said Irwin was in his element in the Outback, but that he and Irwin had talked about the sea posing threats the star wasn't used to.

"If ever he was going to go, we always said it was going to be the ocean," Stainton said. "On land he was agile, quick-thinking, quick-moving and the ocean puts another element there that you have no control over."

Parliament took a break from the business of running the country to pay tribute to Irwin, whose body was being flown home Tuesday from Cairns. No funeral plans were announced but state Premier Peter Beattie said Irwin would be afforded a state funeral if his family agreed.

Irwin's American wife Terri, Bindi and their son Bob, almost 3, returned late Monday from a trekking vacation in Tasmania to Australia Zoo, the wildlife park where the family lived at Beerwah in Queensland's southeast.

At the park, hundreds of people filed past the entrance laying floral bouquets and handwritten condolence messages. Khaki shirts _ a trademark of Irwin _ were laid out for people to sign.

"Mate, you made the world a better place," read one poster left at the gate. "Steve, our hero, our legend, our wildlife warrior," read another. "I thought you were immortal. How I wish that was true," said a third.

The park opened Tuesday because it was what Irwin would have wanted, said Gail Gipp, an animal health employee.

Irwin was propelled to global fame after his TV shows, in which he regularly wrestled with crocodiles and went face-to-face with poisonous snakes and other wild animals, were shown around world on the Discovery Channel.

The network announced plans for a marathon screening of Irwin's work and a wildlife fund in his name.

"Rarely has the world embraced an animal enthusiast and conservationist as they did Steve Irwin," Discovery Networks International President Dawn McCall said in a statement.

Experts differed on the number of human deaths caused by stingrays _ anywhere from 3 to 17 _ though they agreed that they were extremely rare.

____

life." - Tuvok.

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Should "Croc Hunter's" Death Tape be shown?

"If I'm going to die," the late "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin said in a 2002 interview, "at least I want it filmed."

He spoke with his usual humor, and clearly had no idea what would happen four years later. But the fact is, a tape does exist of Irwin's fatal encounter with a stingray while filming a TV show. And so the question arises: In the age of instant Web videos, might it get out? And in the broader sense, is making footage of a death public ever justified?

For its part, Discovery Communications, the network where Irwin became a star, said there was absolutely no truth to rumors that the footage, now in possession of police in Queensland, Australia, might be released.

But that doesn't mean there aren't concerns that someone could attempt to get their hands on it and publicize it for lurid means — or just to show they had it. That, said media analyst Martin Kaplan, would be tantamount to a snuff film.

"The only remote justification for publicizing this would be accident prevention," said Kaplan, of the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Southern California. "But that argument is a stretch." Experts say deaths from a stingray encounter are exceedingly rare.

Irwin died Monday at age 44 after being stabbed in the chest by the stingray's poisonous spine while filming on the Great Barrier Reef.

He was hugely popular in the United States, becoming a star as the "Crocodile Hunter" on Discovery's Animal Planet channel. In an interview with Associated Press Radio in 2002, he discussed his passion for grappling with crocodiles: "That's what my hand and my brains are designed to do," he said with his trademark enthusiasm. "That's what I have to give to the world."

In the same interview, he noted: "If I'm going to die, at least I want it filmed ... If we blew a million dollars worth of cameras, at least we could have gone to MGM and gone, 'Hey, look at this tape.'"

Irwin's manager and close friend, John Stainton, had the painful experience of watching the videotape where Irwin pulls the stingray barb from his chest.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
What's really disturbing is that I enjoyed his less dangerous naturalist shows more..like his vacation shows and so forth..less dangerous animals and such, but the guy knew his wildlife.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
norm is a genius

Link Copied to Clipboard