Next Thread
Print Thread
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Republican Backs His Stand on Iraq by Deploying

Jonathan L. Paton is preparing to go to war in Iraq.

Mr. Paton has told his 77-year-old father, in a telephone conversation punctuated with sobs and pauses, how he wishes to be buried, if it comes to that.

He has shot endless rounds at a police firing range, courtesy of the president of the National Rifle Association, who lives here.

He has endured hugs, sometimes uncomfortably long, from well-wishers who offer prayers, concerned looks and forced smiles.

And, of course, he has been to send-offs, like the one the other night at Pima County Republican Party headquarters, where he was saluted for public service and received assurances that he would win the election.

Election?

Mr. Paton, running for his second two-year term in the Arizona House, is one of four Republicans in his district’s primary on Sept. 12 who are competing for two seats. The balloting occurs five days after Lieutenant Paton, an intelligence officer in the Army Reserve, is due at Fort Benning, Ga., to prepare for a five-month to six-month tour in Iraq and, maybe, Afghanistan.

An untold number of mayors and city council members in the National Guard and the Reserves have served in the war, along with, according to a survey by the National Conference of State Legislatures, a handful of the 57 state legislators nationwide who are in the military.

Five members of Congress serve in reserve branches. But by law and Defense Department policy their status as federal officeholders automatically places them in the Standby Reserve, making it less likely that they will be called to combat duty.

Mr. Paton, 35, stands out. Unlike most of the others, he has asked to go, a decision that surprised and shocked some family members and friends, though he said most had expressed support.

Mr. Paton said he did not want his status as an elected official to excuse him from combat, something instructors in a training program he attended last year suggested would happen. He decided that his full-throated support of the war would seem contradictory if he was not willing to serve.

The only reaction from opponents has been encouragement.

“We wish him the best,” said Frank Callegari, another Republican in the primary who said Mr. Paton’s deployment had not been raised at public forums. “Service to country is a big plus, but you also have to look at our positions in terms of how we want to address public issues.”

The lone Democrat in the race, Clarence Boykins, did not respond to messages for comment.

Like many another soldier headed to combat, Mr. Paton has seen his decision to serve affect his personal life.

Strangers have asked why he would serve in that “stupid war,” as one put it. He has worked to soothe his girlfriend, who supports him but opposes the war. His father, John, still seems to be coming to terms with the whole thing.

Mr. Paton, whose father and mother (she died two years ago) used to take their four children on road trips to state capitals in the West, caught the political bug for good after an internship in 1995 with a State Senate committee.

A self-described “punk kid” convinced that he could do better than the legislators he had worked with, Mr. Paton ran a quixotic and losing campaign against two incumbents for the House in 1998. After a second unsuccessful effort in 2000, putting 25,000 miles on the Honda Civic that he still drives (now with 157,602 miles), he won office in 2004, in a newly drawn district.

He said he had given up a “six figure” job as a lobbyist for the building industry for the $24,000-a-year part-time legislative post, also performing occasional political consulting on the side. “It is the best decision I ever made,” he said.

After his first “crushing” loss, Mr. Paton joined the Army Reserve, seeking a change of direction, he said. A brother had been a Naval intelligence officer, and his campaign manager was in the Army Reserve.

In the end, he said, the Reserve gives him a connection with people in his district. He now serves on the House military affairs committee.

Although he sees his choice to go to Iraq as a natural progression, he said he had grown weary of the attention, concerned that it runs counter to military principles that all soldiers are equal.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That's one

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

( from the article: )
An untold number of mayors and city council members in the National Guard and the Reserves have served in the war, along with, according to a survey by the National Conference of State Legislatures, a handful of the 57 state legislators nationwide who are in the military.

Five members of Congress serve in reserve branches. But by law and Defense Department policy their status as federal officeholders automatically places them in the Standby Reserve, making it less likely that they will be called to combat duty.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
That's one

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Considereing the % of Republicans in teh millitary, I'd say that's quite a few more than one, thank you very much.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You're welcome, but we're talking about elected officials here.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
Quote:

( from the article: )

Five members of Congress serve in reserve branches

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Followed by:

Quote:

the G-man said:
Mr. Paton, 35, stands out. Unlike most of the others, he has asked to go, a decision that surprised and shocked some family members and friends, though he said most had expressed support.

There's a difference between being deployed and being in the National Guard or Reserves...even more so during times of war.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Unless, of course, a Democrat were to volunteer, right ?

Then, of course (hypothetically), he would be a national hero, and representative of the patriotism of his party.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm assuming you're talking about on a national level: how the media would portray it vs. how I would see it through my own eyes. If so, I'd guess the national hero scenario wouldn't be the case. A Democrat doing something like that might actually seem like a betrayal to the anti-war bunch in the Democratic party, the exact opposite of the party's platform. And I doubt Republicans would go out of their way to point him out as a hero.

Now that's not to say no one in the media would give this guy a thumb's up...hypothetically. I'm sure articles would be written and reports would be read praising such a gesture by a Democrat. However, I just don't see someone like that getting an all-around backing by the Democrats. No, not by a long shot.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
That guy has some serious integrity and commitment. Not only is he willing to say he supports the war, but he's willing to physically go to war. WBAM might be right that there's a percentage of politicians in the reserves or national guard, but to actually ask to be sent over to the hotbed instead of relaxing here speaks highly for Lt. Paton.

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!

Link Copied to Clipboard