Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
OP Offline
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
From the University of Florida

Hollywood films portray biracial couples negatively if shown at all

Quote:

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Despite growing numbers of mixed couples in America, movie relationships between men and women of different races are most likely to be short-lived, oversexed and downright dangerous, a new University of Florida study finds.

“A man and a woman of different races in the movies have a greater statistical probability of dying than of getting married or dating seriously,” said Nadia Ramoutar, who did the research for her doctoral dissertation in mass communications at UF and is now a communications professor at Flagler College in St. Augustine.

White women have not appeared in an interracial relationship in a top-selling film since “Pulp Fiction” in 1994, she said. American Indian women have not been portrayed this way since “Dances with Wolves” in 1995, and the last time an American Indian man was part of such a union was in “The Trial of Billy Jack” in 1974.

The findings are important, Ramoutar said, because popular films do more than entertain: They are a powerful means of transmitting culture from one generation to the next.

“The results of this study sadly show that racial and ethnic segregation in romantic relationships is heavily practiced in Hollywood blockbuster films and has become more common rather than less common in the past four decades,” Ramoutar said.

The study analyzed interracial relationships in blockbuster Hollywood films between 1967 and 2005, beginning with the landmark social commentary “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner.” Ramoutar selected the 15 top-grossing box office hits of each year for her sample. Of these, she found 36 films with interracial couples.

Forty-two percent of the women in such partnerships were victims of violence. “Lying on the table like a piece of sushi” is how police described Cheryl, the drug-addicted, sexually deviant female character in “Rising Sun” responsible for three men’s deaths who dies herself.

The scripts use certain interracial combinations more than others and avoid some entirely, the study found. No Arabic or eastern Indian appears in any film, for example.

The most common racial coupling was a white male with an Asian female, who was often portrayed as a “model minority,” in that she was smarter, more compliant and less sexually aggressive than women of other races, Ramoutar said.

But while Asians were the most common women of color, representing nearly one-quarter of interracial romances, Asian men were practically invisible, Ramoutar said. The only major Asian male in such a relationship in nearly four decades was Jackie Chan’s character in the 2001 movie “Rush Hour 2,” she said.

And a Hispanic woman playing a CIA double agent who briefly falls in love with Chan’s character marks the first time a Hispanic female appears in an interracial relationship at all during those years, said Ramoutar.

Hispanic men also were marginalized, cast in only three movies, Ramoutar said. The women they were paired with, including Michele Pfeiffer’s character Elvira in “Scarface,” were drug addicts with no purpose in life but getting high, she said.

“Despite the large number of women actively employed in the American workplace, the most commonly portrayed occupation of all the women in these films is that they have no identifiable occupation,” Ramoutar said. The second most popular occupation was working as a spy, followed by a tie between prostitute and entertainer, she said.

While white women in interracial relationships came across as either morally corrupt or socially inept or as victims of physical or sexual abuse, women of color who become involved with white men were often presented as erotic, exotic and possessing exceptional talents, she said.

“(Chinese-American) Alex in ‘Charlie’s Angels’ is a sky-diving, computer-hacking, black belt martial artist who can defeat a room full of men – her only misgiving is that she is a bad cook,” she said. “And Charlotte Lewis’ character in ‘The Golden Child’ can leap over tall walls or from high buildings, usually just wearing Eddie Murphy’s shirt and her underwear.”

The majority of black women on the big screen were pale skinned like Halle Berry, with dark-skinned actresses rarely cast except as villainesses or femme fatales, she said.

Terry Francis, a film studies professor at Yale University, praised Ramoutar’s choice of a topic. “It might be the quintessential American narrative,” she said.

Credits
Writer
Cathy Keen, ckeen@ufl.edu, 352-392-0186
Source
Nadia Ramoutar, nadia@aug.com, 904-806-6345

Thoughts?

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
All true.

Let's also not forget the stand up comedians who incessantly make an issue out of it as well. Like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, they know that the more they make thing out of the prospect, the more power it gives them as a socio-cultural mass.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Wasn't the female character in "Rising Sun," bascially, a prostitute?

I don't think that's a fair example of a "biracial couple"

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
I gotta give it to my man Jet Li for scoring Carla Gugino in The One. But it over all doesnt offend me b/c I know its Hollywood. As liberal as they claim to be this particular instance stays pretty conservative. Eventually I think we'll start seeing trends shift. I've been noticing more biracial coupling in TV so I dont think its really an issue to worry about.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
And yet, on LOST, you have Rose and....whatisname. Anyway, they're shown in a perfectly normal and warm light. So, this article is silly...

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
On Scrubs you have Turk and Carla(Donald Faison and Judy Reyes). Doesn't Grey's Anatomy have Sandra Oh and a black guy dating?

Theif had Andre Braugher married to Dina Meyer.

I don't watch a whole lot of TV, but I'm sure there are other examples. Films aren't that different.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Are there any couples portrayed in a good light in hollywood?

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
also got a biracial mixed marriage as the kids parents in the Spy Kids movies. pretty progressive.

can never have enough Carla

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think there are methodology problems here

Quote:

The study analyzed interracial relationships in blockbuster Hollywood films between 1967 and 2005, beginning with the landmark social commentary “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner.” Ramoutar selected the 15 top-grossing box office hits of each year for her sample.

First off, the study goes back almost forty years, to 1967. 1967 is smack in the middle of the civil rights movement and only four years after Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream Speech." And, yet, the author's portray their study as if it describes the state of "modern" films.

Second, the study only uses, out of hundreds of movies each year, only fifteen films per year. How can we be sure that those films are a representative sample...especially when some of the top grossing films in many of those years were science fiction films, fantasy films and even cartoons.

For example, a few years ago, the film "Mississippi Masala" was sort of popular, and portrayed an interracial (Hindu woman, black man) relationship. But it wasn't counted because, even though millions of people saw it, it wasn't one of the top grossing films that year.

Finally, in regards to the author's assertion that "No Arabic or eastern Indian appears in any film," I have to assume that the authors didn't count any of the movies in the late 70s where Egyptian born Omar Sharif played a romantic lead (Funny Girl, The Tamarind Seed, Funny Lady, for example) again, probably, because those movies, while fairly successful, weren't in the "top fifteen" for that year.

As such, I really can't be very impressed by this study. I think the professors had an agenda and chose their sampling data in order to advance that, not the truth.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Cowgirl Jack said:
From the University of Florida

Hollywood films portray biracial couples negatively if shown at all

Quote:

White women have not appeared in an interracial relationship in a top-selling film since “Pulp Fiction” in 1994, she said. American Indian women have not been portrayed this way since “Dances with Wolves” in 1995, and the last time an American Indian man was part of such a union was in “The Trial of Billy Jack” in 1974.

Thoughts?

I dispute and dismiss the entire premise of the article based on factual inaccuracies, primarily that "Dances With Wolves" came out before 1995.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
On Scrubs you have Turk and Carla(Donald Faison and Judy Reyes). Doesn't Grey's Anatomy have Sandra Oh and a black guy dating?

Sandra Oh's character (who is Asian) is dating Isaih Washington's character, who is black. So far, neither have died.

Let us also not forget that Tom and Helen Willis were a biracial married couple on TV's THE JEFFERSONS and that goes way back to 1975. And neither of them died or were beset with tragedgy.

We all wear a green carnation.
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

Let us also not forget that Tom and Helen Willis were a biracial married couple on TV's THE JEFFERSONS and that goes way back to 1975. And neither of them died or were beset with tragedgy.

You mean besides George moving into thier building?

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
The only couple that immediately came to mind when I saw this thread was Tony and Maria from West Side Story. huh.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

Honkey!

We all wear a green carnation.
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Well the film Guess Who was all about an interracial couple.
In the film National Security, Stephen Zahn was married or dating a black woman.

I'm sure there have been plenty of other films with interracial relationships that are quite normal, and for every film that has someone in an interracial couple die, I'm sure we could find a dozen or more films where someone dies in an all white or all black relationship!

Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

Let's not forget that Roxie Roker was probably the 2nd ugliest black woman on TV at the time...that's a tragedy in and of itself.

However, their daughter Jenny was BANGIN'!

Oderint, dum metuant.

You are a god damned idiot, you know that? You ought to be smacked upside your dumb-fuck head, even after all these years. Shame on you!
-USCHI showin' some love

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

THE Bastard said:
Let's not forget that Roxie Roker was probably the 2nd ugliest black woman on TV at the time...that's a tragedy in and of itself.

first?

giant picture
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
or:

(good times being, arguably, one of the funniest shows currently airing, allbeit in repeats)

giant picture
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
Quote:

THE Bastard said:

first?

I like the way you marked your territory on her shirt!

Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Definitely Florida...Esther Rolle was a fine actress but she was NAWT HAWT.

Oderint, dum metuant.

You are a god damned idiot, you know that? You ought to be smacked upside your dumb-fuck head, even after all these years. Shame on you!
-USCHI showin' some love

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

I like the way you marked your territory on her shirt!

shirl's my girl!

giant picture
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
my first girfriend was mexican-american, i wanted to date a mulatto once-honestly it really doesn't fucking matter as long as you don't care. Unfortunately family relations do matter--it depends on how tight you are with your family and how hardcore they are...

blood and family do matter to soem aND THAT SUCKS, BUT IT'S TRUE..

Link Copied to Clipboard