Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#783854 2007-02-22 9:42 PM
400+ posts
OP Offline
400+ posts
Here's hoping for another exciting season of baseball!

400+ posts
OP Offline
400+ posts
El Duque returns to New York for neck exam

February 22, 2007

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) -- Orlando Hernandez left the New York Mets' spring training camp and returned to New York to have his neck examined.

El Duque, slated to be the No. 2 starter behind Tom Glavine in the Mets' shaky starting rotation, felt discomfort in his neck last season and the soreness returned this spring training, New York general manager Omar Minaya said before Thursday's workout.

Hernandez went 11-11 with a 4.66 ERA last season, including 9-7 with a 4.09 ERA after the Mets acquired him from Arizona in late May. The 41-year-old right-hander missed the playoffs because of a torn calf muscle.

New York already is without Pedro Martinez, out until midseason following rotator cuff surgery. Among those competing for starting jobs are prospects Philip Humber and Mike Pelfrey, and veterans Jorge Sosa, Chan Ho Park, Jason Vargas, Juan Padilla and Aaron Sele.

400+ posts
OP Offline
400+ posts
Clemens no closer to decision on playing this season

By CHRIS DUNCAN, AP Sports Writer
February 22, 2007

KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) -- Roger Clemens pitched to his son and two other minor leaguers at the Houston Astros' spring training camp Thursday, and is no closer to deciding whether he'll play a 24th season.

If he comes back, the 44-year-old pitching great said he'll choose between the hometown Astros, the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox.

"Everybody knows where I stand. I don't care to play, but if that decision comes up again, then it's a big decision on me," he said. "It has nothing to do with anybody else. It's a decision on me to go out and perform."

Clemens said he's not "milking" his decision in search of the highest bidder. He also said he'll have no problem walking away when the time comes.

"It's 10 times harder to make the decision to come back and try to do it again," he said. "I love what I do and I have high expectations to perform. When I don't, it's disappointing."

Koby Clemens, a third baseman starting his second full season in the Astros' minor league organization, said his father told him last week he was "80-20" leaning toward not coming back. Then again, after the 2003 season Clemens said there was a 99 percent chance he would retire.

"It's a pretty serious number right now," said Koby, the oldest of Clemens' four sons. "I go, 'Dad, right now, on the spot, if they asked you are you coming back or not, what are your percentages now?' He said, `80-20.' I go, 'Coming back or sitting out the year?' And he goes, 'Probably sitting out the year.' That was it."

Clemens is on an easier workout schedule now and won't increase the load unless he commits to playing again.

Clemens caused a bigger stir at spring training last season, pitching with more purpose to minor leaguers in preparation for the World Baseball Classic.

"I feel very good, I feel strong," he said. "But the intensity is nowhere near close to this point last year when I was getting ready for the world event. I had a lot riding on my shoulders."

Clemens said he'll work himself into shape if one of the teams comes to his agents, Alan and Randy Hendricks, with an offer he can't refuse.

He's also realistic about his age, and that his body may not respond like it once did.

"At one point, it's not going to work out," he said. "These are the questions I have to ask myself, that's why I push myself so hard to find out before I get to that moment.

"I don't know what's going to happen two months from now," Clemens said. "I could get into the middle of a training session and know that I just can't do it. That would be the easiest call for me to make."

On Thursday, he wore a black Astros cap, black Astros T-shirt and white pants. He hit grounders to Koby and shagged balls in the outfield.

Clemens says he is content to hang around the spring training complex and advise younger players. He'll also host some charity events while in Florida.

"What you saw me do today is what I plan on doing for the next month," he said. "Right now, it's going to be a slow, dead period. I'm doing what I love to do. I'm going to be running around here, throwing batting practice. I'll throw BP to the big guys if they need it. There won't be a lot of moss growing under my feet."

Clemens, who signed a $22 million contract with the Astros to pitch half of last season, didn't start in a major league game until June 22. He finished 7-6 with a 2.30 ERA in 19 starts.

If he returns, Clemens said he won't pitch until at least May. He said how the three teams are doing at that time won't affect his decision.

But Clemens said he'll only come back if he feels like he can help one of the teams contend.

"You come back to win, you come back to win it all," he said. "Your goals are set really high. I feel very flattered that those three teams still make an occasional phone call to the Hendricks brothers to ask where I'm at."

400+ posts
OP Offline
400+ posts
Ramirez planned to attend car show instead of camp

By HOWARD ULMAN, AP Sports Writer
February 21, 2007

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) -- Manny Ramirez, who received permission from the Red Sox to report late to spring training for family reasons, was scheduled to attend a car auction in New Jersey on Saturday, according to the promoter of the auction.

It wasn't immediately clear if the team was aware of Ramirez's scheduled appearance at the Atlantic City Classic Cars Auction. Boston's first full-squad workout is Thursday. Under the collective bargaining agreement, the deadline for players to report to camp is next Tuesday.

Earlier Wednesday, Boston general manager Theo Epstein said Ramirez has an excused absence and will report on March 1 for the second straight year. On Monday, pitcher Julian Tavarez, Ramirez's close friend, said the slugger's mother recently had surgery and Ramirez was with her in Florida.

But later Wednesday, Ramirez's plans to appear at the car show surfaced in a report posted on The Boston Globe's Web site. It said Ramirez's mother's condition might prevent him from attending -- and it wasn't known when the appearance was initially scheduled.

But Louise Cunningham, who works for G. Potter King, the Berlin, N.J., car dealer promoting the auction, told The Associated Press that Ramirez was still expected at the event.

"All we know, he's coming at noon on Saturday, nothing else," she said.

Ramirez is a collector of classic cars. His 1967 four-door Lincoln Continental Sedan convertible is listed in Saturday's auction as number 1747A. In parentheses on the auction list is a note: Owned by Manny Ramirez.

Earlier Wednesday, after Boston's other position players underwent physicals and did conditioning runs, Epstein said he had spoken Tuesday with Ramirez's agent, Greg Genske. Epstein also said manager Terry Francona had talked with Genske and Ramirez.

"The communication was actually pretty good," Epstein said. "I think the most important thing is just accountability starting March 1 from then on out."

Epstein made no mention of the car show. Neither Epstein nor Genske returned e-mails seeking comment.

"He's got a family situation," Epstein said. "I think the important thing from our perspective at this point is when he does show up on March 1 that he's ready to go, accountable to his teammates, accountable to the organization."

Francona said Wednesday, "it's a family issue."

Ramirez asked to be traded after the last two seasons and was the subject of trade talks at the July 31 deadline in 2005. He also missed most of the final six weeks last season with what the team called right knee tendinitis. There was speculation he was physically able to play.

The car auction is scheduled for Thursday through Sunday at the Atlantic City Convention Center. It includes a 1,200-car auction, a swap meet, a "muscle car" showcase and an antique sale with cars starting at $50,000 minimum bid.

Ramirez is scheduled to make $18 million this season, the seventh of his eight-year, $160 million contract.

"It's a two-way street," Epstein said. "There's a certain amount of accountability that's expected. That's the way it's going to be going forward."

Ramirez has performed well on the field in his six seasons with the Red Sox, with at least 33 homers and 102 RBIs each year.

"Manny's still crazy," teammate David Ortiz said Wednesday with a big smile. "I'm still baby-sitting him.

"Things happen, man. It's not something that you can really control. His mom had surgery a while back. I'd be doing the same thing if I still had my mom alive and she got sick. I'd be trying to be with her."

Associated Press Writer Jesse Harlan Alderman in Boston contributed to this report.

400+ posts
OP Offline
400+ posts
Court decision frees Uribe to travel to White Sox camp

By DIONISIO SOLDEVILA, Associated Press Writer
February 21, 2007

SAN CRISTOBAL, Dominican Republic (AP) -- Accused of shooting a Dominican farmer in October, Chicago White Sox shortstop Juan Uribe has received permission from a judge to attend spring training in Tucson, Ariz.

Under the judge's ruling, Uribe will no longer have to appear in court twice a month for the remainder of the case. Instead, he must put down a $15,400 deposit guaranteeing he will make his next scheduled court appearance, slated for March 17.

"I am going to training tomorrow," Uribe told The Associated Press late Wednesday. "I feel satisfied with the court's decision and I am ready to present myself when it's necessary."

The farmer, Antonio Gonzalez Perez, accused Uribe of shooting him after an argument near the shortstop's hometown. An Italian man who also was shot did not file charges.

Uribe said he was ready to discuss the situation with White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen after reporting to camp. And, he said, he's ready to play.

"I have been training every day and I am in good shape. I am not going to have problems," Uribe said.

The 27-year-old shortstop hit .235 with 21 homers and 71 RBIs last season. He's due to make $4.15 million this year.

400+ posts
OP Offline
400+ posts
Which Sheff will show in Motown?

By Tim Brown, Yahoo! Sports
February 21, 2007

LAKELAND, Fla. – The first pitch Wednesday morning was up and in, not necessarily a strike, but the drill was two strikes, man on third, can't strike out, gotta get him home.

Now, Gary Sheffield hadn't swung a bat since October 7, when he struck out twice and was hitless in four at-bats against the Detroit Tigers.

That amounted to the end of the New York Yankees' season and the end of Sheffield's time with them, of two years with 70 home runs and almost 250 RBI and a third in which his wrist gave out.

The four-game loss to the Tigers in the American League Division Series fueled the new Yankee enthusiasm, headed by general manager Brian Cashman, for building a deeper, younger and more athletic organization.

The new plan landed Sheffield, one of the great fastball hitters of the past 15 years, here in a long, narrow clubhouse about 40 minutes east of Legends Field. He reported for his first day with the Tigers, palled around with Jim Leyland, shook hands with Dave Dombrowski, and it's a wonder they didn't get their 1997 World Series rings all tangled up.

His new uniform came in about a half-dozen pieces, packaged in plastic bags. His locker is plugged between Sean Casey's and Magglio Ordonez's, and two bat lengths from those of Al Kaline, Willie Horton and Lou Whitaker, Tigers royalty.

Sheffield has a three-year contract, the last of his Yankees deal and the two-year extension from the Tigers, worth $41 million. He'll bat third or fourth in a park generally considered fair to hitters, for a team that just went to its first World Series in 22 years, for a manager he respects and trusts. True, he'll be a regular designated hitter, which he hadn't intended just yet, but, as he said with a grin, "That'll mean less work."

On this morning, among these people, the occasionally difficult Sheffield looked like the man who once uttered the words, "What could ever be more fun than playing baseball from sunup to sundown?"

This, of all his layers, is Content Sheff. Yes, he would have preferred to stay in New York, where he'd grown comfortable with his teammates and the organization and the regular winning. Yes, he would prefer to play the outfield. Yes, when he looks across those miles of Waffle Houses down Interstate 4, through the daily crises of A-Rod and Jeter, Mussina and Pavano, and a Bernie-less clubhouse, it still looks pretty good.

There's nothing wrong with what's under his feet, either. A hug from Craig Monroe. The first of many laughs with Casey. A loud locker room crowded with pitching and promise. A reliable left wrist.

"I was hoping to stay in New York, but unfortunately it hasn't happened and I looked for the next best thing," he said. "I didn't even think about Detroit. The fact is, I didn't think it was a fit. I never thought [Leyland] would have me as a DH. I never thought of that. And I didn't consider myself a DH, so I really didn't look at that situation. … I looked at the Cubs. I looked at Houston. I looked at teams like that. I looked at Boston, which I knew they weren't going to trade me there. I looked at the Mets. … When Detroit called and said I'd be DH-ing, I said, 'Well, I'll do it.'

"I look forward. I owe that to my teammates I play with now. I can't afford to say, 'I wish I was here as opposed to here.' I'm not going to do that because, other than that, I'm happy."

He played 39 games last season. The middle 3½ months were spent on wrist surgery and recovering from it. He rushed back to try to bail out the Yankees and Jason Giambi, who by then also was ailing, played the first nine games of his life at first base, was benched in Game 3 of the Division Series and was being shopped within hours of Game 4's final out.

"The reason I came back was I felt like I had to," Sheffield said. "I wasn't supposed to come back when I came back. I wasn't ready, to be honest with you. I just came back to show other organizations I could still play. I had a severe injury pretty much the whole year. Just to get back out there, hit a couple home runs during the season and try to get a little momentum going into the playoffs. But, obviously, I wasn't ready. Now, having four months off, I've had time to heal."

All the way around.

So, here he is. Assuming Standard Sheff, the Tigers made one of the great off-season moves. They dealt from a surplus and improved themselves at designated-hitter, where last season they got a .258 batting average, 27 home runs and 90 RBI. Not bad, but not Sheff, either.

They'll put him alongside Leyland – after every World Series appearance for Leyland, it seems, Sheffield is either coming or going ("It's a funny business, how it works," Leyland said.) – and see if they can't win a division title together, then three more games than they did last October.

It begins, of course, with the first pitch in February. And on the first day that really felt like spring in Florida, this one to Sheffield was particularly unfriendly.

"I don't pick up a bat in the offseason," he said. "Never. Not a time in my life. First time I'll have a ball coming at me. I might miss a few, but…"

Not this one. His hands shot through the strike zone, squaring as much of the barrel as he could with the ball, sending a soft line drive into left field.

Can't strike out. Gotta get him home.

Looks a lot like Familiar Sheff.

Tim Brown is a national baseball writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Tim a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

400+ posts
OP Offline
400+ posts
Can someone explain to me why the national media hates Sheffield?

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Quote:

Brad Lee said:
Can someone explain to me why the national media hates Sheffield?

He can be a prick sometimes....alot of the times. He has been a whiny baby in the past when he hasn't gotten his way. With the Brewers he basically was screwing up on purpose to force a trade. When he is happy he produces and is one of the best in the game. I believe he will have a very good year for Detroit. However, I feel we got the better part of that trade. Early reports are saying Humberto Sanchez a 6-6 monster of a pitcher has looked unbelieveable so far in camp.

For the record, I like Shef....but he is a bit of a douchebag, but so am I.

400+ posts
OP Offline
400+ posts
I'm not that happy with the trade, either. If any of those pitchers realize their potential, and the Tigers don't win a World Series with Shef, the Yankees win this one easy.

400+ posts
OP Offline
400+ posts
Ramirez won't attend car auction during spring training

By HOWARD ULMAN, AP Sports Writer
February 22, 2007

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) -- Manny Ramirez changed plans and will not attend a car auction in New Jersey on Saturday while his Boston Red Sox teammates work out at spring training, the team said Thursday.

The Red Sox gave Ramirez permission to report late to camp on March 1, the day after their first exhibition game, for family reasons. The left fielder's mother recently had surgery.

Boston general manager Theo Epstein said that after learning about Ramirez's scheduled appearance at the auction, he spoke Wednesday night with Greg Genske, the slugger's agent.

"He said (Ramirez) is not going to be there, so it's fine," Epstein said Thursday. "He's dealing with a family issue. We're not going to document his exact whereabouts on an hour-to-hour basis."

Louise Cunningham, who works for G. Potter King, the Berlin, N.J., car dealer promoting the auction, told The Associated Press on Wednesday night that Ramirez was still expected at the event in Atlantic City. On Thursday, the company did not return calls seeking comment.

Red Sox manager Terry Francona said that when he spoke with Genske and Ramirez on Tuesday night, the car auction was not discussed. Francona also said he wasn't concerned that Ramirez would make plans to be at a car show during spring training.

"I don't think I can let it concern me that he might have, or he allegedly, or somebody wrote it. That's not a very productive way for me to manage the club," Francona said.

Epstein said he didn't think the auction would be a distraction, "if we manage it the right way."

"Manny certainly intends to be here as soon as he can and get ready for the season. So I think it's not the biggest deal in the world, provided he's here March 1, or even earlier if his mother's situation resolves itself," the GM said.

Red Sox president Larry Lucchino also showed little concern about Ramirez's previous plans to be at the auction.

"I think it's a stale issue," he told reporters. "You guys are making a tempest in a teapot."

Ramirez collects classic cars. His 1967 four-door Lincoln Continental Sedan convertible is listed in Saturday's auction as number 1747A. In parentheses on the auction list is a note: Owned by Manny Ramirez.

Baseball's collective bargaining agreement gives teams the right to penalize players who report to camp after Feb. 27, but Epstein said the team won't discipline Ramirez.

"We can give a player permission to show up late for certain instances, and family always comes first in this organization and will continue to," Epstein said.

The Red Sox are used to Ramirez's unusual behavior.

The slugger asked to be traded after the last two seasons and was the subject of trade talks at the July 31 deadline in 2005. He also missed most of the final six weeks last season with what the team called right knee tendinitis. There was speculation he was physically able to play.

Ramirez is scheduled to make $18 million this season, the seventh of his eight-year, $160 million contract. In each if his previous six seasons with the Red Sox, he had at least 33 homers and 102 RBIs.

400+ posts
OP Offline
400+ posts
Bonds likely to be part of All-Star game either way

By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
February 23, 2007

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- Even if Barry Bonds is not an All-Star this season, Giants owner Peter Magowan expects the slugger to take part in festivities for baseball's summer classic in his home ballpark.

Magowan hopes that Bonds' godfather, Hall of Famer Willie Mays, will be a big part of the July event in San Francisco. Yet Magowan would rather No. 25 is in uniform and playing for the NL roster and World Series-winning manager Tony La Russa.

ADVERTISEMENT
    "If Willie is going to get honored, as I think he will, Barry will have some role to play there," Magowan said Friday during a wide-ranging interview in the dugout at Scottsdale Stadium. "But what I hope instead will happen is he is chosen to be on the All-Star team, and I feel he will be. I feel he will have earned his spot both by what he's done in the game and by what he will have done this year."

Bonds, a seven-time NL MVP, begins his 22nd major league season -- his 15th with San Francisco -- 22 home runs shy of passing Hank Aaron's career record of 755. Magowan joked how La Russa will surely want Bonds on his All-Star roster, a reference to the slugger and skipper meeting during Bonds' brief appearance at the baseball winter meetings in December.

La Russa's St. Louis Cardinals apparently were a team interested in Bonds.

"We all know from the offseason that Tony would like him," Magowan said with a chuckle.

In the case that Bonds isn't voted into his 14th All-Star game, Magowan said the Giants will incorporate their 42-year-old left fielder and cleanup hitter. Everyone around the Giants is happy to see that Bonds is completely healthy and in great shape this spring training.

Bonds revised $15.8 million, one-year contract was finalized Feb. 13, one week before his first spring training workout. The sides agreed on terms Dec. 7 then spent nearly two months squabbling over complicated language in the deal.

Giants general manager Brian Sabean knows Bonds has a good chance to be an All-Star. The slugger hasn't made it since five straight selections from 2000-04.

"It wouldn't surprise any of us," Sabean said.

Bonds, who had offseason surgery on his left elbow, batted .270 with 26 homers and 77 RBIs and drew 115 walks in 130 games last year after appearing in only 14 contests in 2005 following three operations on his right knee.

Magowan expects more production in 2007. Bruce Bochy has said it is realistic to expect Bonds will play in at least 100 games.

"I think we're very glad to have Barry," Magowan said. "I think he looks better than pretty good. He looks really good. I think he's going to have a better year than he had last year. Last year he couldn't really move at the beginning of the year. His mobility is much better, he looks a little skinnier and I think he's highly motivated. He's always highly motivated, but he's trained hard during the offseason. I think he's going to have a good year and we're counting on him to."

Magowan, with his wife and grandson accompanying him, watched Bonds take his cuts from right behind the batting cage on a cool Arizona morning and they chatted between Bonds' rounds in the cage.

Aside from Bonds, Magowan addressed the futures of Sabean and shortstop Omar Vizquel. Both men are in the final year of their contracts.

Magowan pledged his support for Sabean despite the fact the Giants have missed the playoffs for three straight years. Magowan isn't pointing all the blame at the GM. He told Sabean they will discuss his situation toward the end of the season -- though Magowan also said he fully expects Sabean to stick around.

"I think a lot of Brian," Magowan said. "He's one of the best general managers in the game. We've had two disappointing years. We're all accountable. ... We're all on the hot seat. I'm on the hot seat."

Sabean, who said he would like to stay in San Francisco forever, understands Magowan's need to wait. He would do the same thing in such a situation. Sabean was in the same situation in 2002 and didn't receive an extension until after the team's World Series season.

"It's understandable," Sabean said. "Just look at the last two years. I'm certainly not above going through due process."

Vizquel said upon his arrival that he would like a contract extension, and that he hopes to play through 2009. The 11-time Gold Glove winner turns 40 in April. Magowan said something could get done during spring training.

"I would like to explore it. Pretty unique guy, Omar," Magowan said, noting it might have to be on a year-by-year basis with Vizquel. "At his age to play the position he plays, shortstop, and to play it as well as he's played it and do it at that age that well, I can't remember the last time I've seen it."

Magowan expects the Giants to reach the 3 million mark for attendance for the eighth straight season, every year the Giants' waterfront ballpark has existed.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Baseball tonight!!!!

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Let's go Mets!

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I concur! They're like a third of my fantasy team.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
400+ posts
OP Offline
400+ posts
Bonds didn't take long to hit his first homerun. I'd love to see him hit sixty, just prove a point. Will he hit more than what he needs for the record, or will it take him all season to get there?

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
i hope he hits more. Im hoping more though that my boy Rich Harden stays healthy all season...

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
DiceK looked good for Boston the other day and Shef hit a HR for the Tigers today. How 'bout those Mets.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Rogers outduels Smoltz in season debut; Tigers win

A CLOSER LOOK

Rogers• Summary: Making his first start of the season after a blood clot was removed from his pitching shoulder, Kenny Rogers allowed only two hits in six innings to lead the Tigers past the Braves.
• Tough-luck loser: Atlanta starter John Smoltz matched Rogers through five innings but then allowed all five Detroit runs in the sixth.

• Figure this: The Braves were shut out for the third game in a row, their scoreless streak stretching to 28 innings. It was the first time since 1988 that Atlanta has been the victim of three straight shutouts.

• Quotable: "Not to beat a dead horse, but we've got to score. We know that. We've just got to score. And the pitchers have to be there when we do." -- Smoltz

-- ESPN.com news services

Tigers 5, Braves 0

ATLANTA (AP) -- Kenny Rogers picked up right where he left off in October.

Making his first start of the season after a blood clot was removed from his pitching shoulder in the spring, Rogers allowed only two hits in six innings to lead the Detroit Tigers past the punchless Atlanta Braves 5-0 on Friday night.

The Braves have been shut out in three straight games for the first time since 1988.

"This surpasses what I would have expected," Rogers said. "I don't ever go into a game saying I'm going to shut a team out. I've always been willing to give up a run here and there to minimize the damage."

Maybe it's time to change those expectations. The 42-year-old lefty played a vital role in Detroit's run to the World Series last year, winning all three of his postseason starts and pitching 23 straight scoreless innings.

Eight months later, having recovered from scary surgery on his left shoulder, the oldest starting pitcher to win a World Series game got started on a new streak. And he didn't have anything on his hand, for those who might remember that smudge found on his thumb in Game 2 against St. Louis.

"Kenny was Kenny," manager Jim Leyland said. "He did what he usually does -- a little of this, a little of that, in and out, changing speeds. He picked right up where he left off."

After two rehab outings in the minor leagues, Rogers (1-0) got off to an ominous start -- he hit Kelly Johnson with the very first pitch -- then breezed through a Braves lineup that's having trouble scoring off anyone.

"The first inning felt weird," Rogers said. "It was a very uncomfortable feeling for me. I was a little tentative in my approach. But I got more relaxed the last couple innings."

After grazing Johnson on the right shoulder, Rogers retired the next 10 hitters, including Edgar Renteria on a double play that erased the leadoff hitter. The Braves finally got their first hit with two outs in the fourth: Renteria's clean single past third baseman Brandon Inge.

Scott Thorman had the only other hit off the Detroit starter, a single to right leading off the sixth after the Tigers broke up a scoreless duel in the top half with five runs against John Smoltz (8-4). Rogers finished with a flourish, however, striking out the next two hitters before Yunel Escobar lined out to center.

The Braves haven't scored in 28 innings and became the first team to take three straight shutouts since Kansas City on July 5-7, 2004, during a series at Minnesota.

"Not to beat a dead horse, but we've got to score," Smoltz said. "We know that. We've just got to score. And the pitchers have to be there when we do."

Rogers threw 75 pitches, struck out five and didn't walk anyone. Jason Grilli, Bobby Seay and Eulogio De La Cruz finished off the two-hitter.

In an interesting twist, Rogers' first start of the season came at Turner Field, where he had one of the worst moments of his career in 1999. Then pitching for the New York Mets, Rogers came on in relief for Game 6 of the NL Championship Series and walked Andruw Jones with the bases loaded, sending the Braves to the World Series.

"I've had a few games in the playoffs; that wasn't the best one," Rogers said a couple days ago. "I plan on improving on that."

Did he ever.

Of course, he sure picked the right team to come back against. The Braves have turned downright feeble offensively, getting outscored 20-0 over the last three games while managing just 12 hits. They didn't even get a runner into scoring position against the Tigers.

Andruw Jones went 0-for-3 and has gone hitless in 21 straight at-bats, dropping his average below the Mendoza Line to .199. The Braves didn't have injury-plagued Chipper Jones, who sat out with a strained adductor muscle.

"I thought we hit the heck out of the ball," said Braves manager Bobby Cox, always looking to put a positive spin on things. "Nothing happened."

Smoltz, who started out in the Detroit organization but never pitched for the Tigers, matched Rogers through five innings. But the Tigers' potent offense finally broke through in the sixth, scoring all five runs with two-out hits.

Deciding to go with Smoltz pitches, Magglio Ordonez had an RBI single, Carlos Guillen a two-run double and Ivan Rodriguez another double that made it 4-0. All four hits went the opposite way. Finally, after Sean Casey was walked intentionally, Inge pulled Smoltz for another RBI single.

"He was pitching very well before the sixth inning," Rodriguez said. "Then everything changed."

The only consolation for Smoltz: He struck out seven during his six-inning stint, moving past Jim Bunning for 16th place on the career strikeout list with 2,861.

"I wouldn't have given a nickel for our chances early on," Leyland said. "Smoltz was unhittable. Fortunately, we went with some pitches we could hit and put up a number on him."

Ordonez, who already has 68 RBIs, left the game in the eighth after being hit on the left hand with a pitch in the eighth. X-rays were negative and the outfielder said he expects to be back in the lineup Saturday.

Game notes
Braves left-hander Wil Ledezma, acquired from Detroit on Wednesday, made his Atlanta debut against his former team. He struck out the side in the ninth. ... The game drew a crowd of 44,034. It was the first time since September 2000 that the Braves had four straight turnouts of more than 40,000, coming on the heels of a sold-out series against the Boston Red Sox.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Glavine beat the A's last night...he's getting closer to 300.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Friday, June 22, 2007
Fully healed, Ordonez flourishing for Tigers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Jorge Arangure Jr.
ESPN The Magazine

Editor's Note: This story appears in the July 2 edition of ESPN The Magazine.
On consecutive days recently, Jim Leyland peered into the Detroit Tigers clubhouse, turned to his right, in the direction of Magglio Ordonez's locker, and boisterously yelled, "Magglio!!" as if he had seen his right fielder for the first time in years. On the second day this occurred, Carlos Guillen, who sits next to Ordonez, playfully wondered why he did not get the same greeting. Perhaps if Guillen had posted similar numbers as Ordonez (.383-13-67), one of the leading MVP candidates in the American League, Leyland would be compelled to yell for Guillen, too.

Magglio Ordonez leads the majors with a .383 batting average.
"It's the Mags that I know and I remember," Tigers designated hitter Gary Sheffield said. "I know he's been hurt with his knee. Everybody around the league knows it. But I always knew Mags was an MVP caliber player every year."

Ordonez is healthy now, healthier than he has been in years as a result of a radical and experimental knee surgery not well known in the United States, and not usually performed on baseball players.

To fix an ailing knee that would not heal because blood had stopped circulating to a certain spot on the bone, Ordonez, after the 2004 season with the Chicago White Sox, went to Austria, Vienna to have shock wave therapy performed by Dr. Wolfgang Schaden.

"It was not an easy decision," Ordonez says. "I visited with more than 10 doctors in the United States and none of them could give me a concrete answer about my knee. So I had to make a decision quickly because I was going to be a free agent and I didn't have a job."

The shock waves caused microfractures, which allowed blood to circulate to the injured area of Ordonez's knee. Ordonez's once renowned opposite field power now finally has been restored.

"The difference I saw after playing against him the last couple of years, is when he was coming off of his injuries it seemed he didn't have a lot of power to the opposite field," Sheffield said. "And I think that has to do with your legs being under you. Now that he has his legs, he's able to drive the ball like he wants."

He is again the star he once was, though now with a long tangled mane of curly hair.

"I think he's crazy and I think he needs to cut it," Mets bench coach Jerry Manuel, the White Sox manager from 1998-2003, said of Ordonez's hair. "But he probably feels it's a Sampson type thing right now. If he cut it he might be getting weak. So he won't cut it. As long as he's hitting well, he ain't going to cut it. I can guarantee you that."

Ordonez spent almost two seasons recovering from the knee injury. Though he posted power numbers last season (24 home runs, .477 slugging percentage) that far surpassed the eight home runs he hit in an injury-stricken first season with the Tigers, the right fielder was not altogether healthy. Leyland noticed Ordonez was often in pain or simply could not perform at an elite level.

"One of the things I noticed and felt was that I still wasn't the strong and quick athlete that could compete against anyone," Ordonez said. "I couldn't throw the ball hard with all my strength, couldn't run like I was accustomed to, it was difficult to change directions when I was running. I think it was a matter of being patient."

The surgical procedure that fixed the knee was so radical, several of Ordonez's Tigers teammates didn't even know it existed. Second baseman Placido Polanco, who confused Austria with Australia, yelled from across the room: "Magglio you really went down there to have that surgery? They probably put a kangaroo ligament in your knee."

The surgery scared several teams away from bidding for Ordonez, which allowed the Tigers to aggressively pursue him.

Days prior to a scheduled Ordonez workout for six teams, the Tigers signed him to a five-year, $75 million deal. To protect themselves, the Tigers added a clause in the contract that allowed them to void the deal if Ordonez spent 25 or more days on the disabled list because of the knee injury.

"We knew there was risk, but not a great deal or we wouldn't have made the deal," Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski said. "If he made it through the first year, we were confident the injury wouldn't affect him in the long run."

With the signing, Ordonez's eight-year tenure with the White Sox ended. Often overlooked with the White Sox because of Frank Thomas, Ordonez had been one of baseball's most unknown potent hitters. From 1999-2003 Ordonez averaged 32 home runs, 118 RBIs and a .311 batting average for Chicago. He had been a force almost from the first moment he was in big league camp in spring training.

"In spring training, if you were on Field 4, and he was hitting on Field 8, you could hear it," Manuel said. "He was that type of guy. When I first saw him, just the sound [of his bat hitting the ball was different]. I'm a big proponent of that. When a young player makes a different sound with that bat, I took notice."

Though Ordonez had a successful tenure in Chicago, the White Sox did not make a serious effort to re-sign him after the 2004 season.

"We wanted to win a championship and for us to pay Mr. [Scott] Boras' price, we would have had to sacrifice one to two key players to fit in Maggs salary in our overall budget," White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said.

That 2004 winter was not the first time teams mistakenly had shied away from Ordonez. As a 16 year old, Ordonez was signed to the Houston Astros' Venezuelan academy by famed scout Andres Reiner, who developed such stars as Johan Santana, Bobby Abreu and Melvin Mora. Yet because Houston had not found a position for him to play, the Astros chose not to sign him to a professional contract. Reiner sent Ordonez to a White Sox scout for a tryout.

"Does he drink? Does he steal?" Reiner remembers the White Sox scout asking after the tryout. "Why isn't he signed?"

Reiner responded, "No, he's the healthiest player we have."

The Tigers can now say the same thing.

Jorge Arangure Jr. is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I have always been a huge fan of Ordonez....the Tigers were smart to take a chance on him.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
good game on ESPN right now....Detroit at Atlanta.

Link Copied to Clipboard