Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
This should be interesting.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
NMN?

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
But yeah, I haven't heard anything about Nader, the Greens or any other "3rd party".

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I don't think Nader's associated with the Green Party anymore. He ran without them the last time. In 2000, he was a good third choice; but he's gone a bit nuts since then.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
AFP

Nader mixes up 2008 race with new White House run

5 days ago

• WASHINGTON (AFP) — Consumer champion Ralph Nader announced Sunday a fresh tilt at the White House, eight years after earning the acid hatred of Democrats for dividing the anti-Republican camp in a razor-thin vote.

Denying that he was running as a "spoiler" who could hand the presidency to Republican John McCain, Nader accused both the main parties of shutting out the US public and handing the nation over to corporate interests.

"Dissent is the mother of assent, and in that context I have decided to run for president," Nader, who turns 74 on Wednesday, said on the NBC program "Meet the Press."

As Nader railed against the "political bigotry" of Democrats still smarting from their 2000 loss to Bush, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton girded for a March 4 battle that could decide the former first lady's political fate.

Pundits had detected a hint of farewell in Clinton's closing remarks at a debate with Obama Thursday. But the New York senator came out firing Saturday, declaring "shame" on her rival for attacking her healthcare and trade policies.

A spate of reports said Clinton's advisors were eyeing the potential end of her White House campaign after the March 4 clashes in Ohio, Texas, Rhode Island and Vermont. Her campaign dismissed that as "nonsense."

"I believe that we are going to do well in Ohio and Texas. I'm not even thinking about other alternatives," Clinton's communications chief Howard Wolfson said.

Amid the Democratic infighting, Nader declared: "If the Democrats can't landslide the election this year, they ought to just wrap up, close down."

But Nader, who rose to prominence by campaigning for auto safety in the 1960s, said he still had a message to offer for those "locked out" by the perennial Republican-Democratic duel.

Whether it was the war in Iraq, the Palestinian issue, environmental threats or the power of Wall Street, "you have to ask yourself as a citizen, should we elaborate the issues the two are not talking about?"

McCain was "the candidate for perpetual war," Nader added, calling for the impeachment of the "criminal recidivist regime of George Bush and (Vice President) Dick Cheney."

Standing as a Green party candidate in 2000, Nader took more than 97,000 votes in Florida, outraging Democrats who said he had siphoned off enough support from former vice president Al Gore to hand victory to George W. Bush.

But he won just 0.3 percent of the national vote as an independent in 2004, when he appeared on the presidential ballot in only 34 states.

Virginia Governor Tim Kaine, an Obama supporter, was derisory about Nader's latest intervention.

"I mean, when you get into running for your third or fourth time, I don't think people will pay that much attention to it, and I wouldn't see it having any effect on the race," he said on Fox News.

New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine, a Clinton backer, agreed about Nader but said the billionaire mayor of New York, Michael Bloomberg, could have a "major impact" on the main parties if he runs.

Bloomberg has denied he is planning a White House bid but his protests have done little to silence the media buzz surrounding the former media mogul.

Obama, who is bidding to knock Clinton out of the race on March 4, said anybody had the right to run for president if they qualified.

"And I think the job of the Democratic Party is to be so compelling that a few percentage of the vote going to another candidate is not going to make any difference," he told reporters Saturday.

McCain meanwhile has enjoyed a bounce in support from hardline conservatives after The New York Times last week insinuated an improper relationship between the maverick Republican front-runner and a female lobbyist eight years ago.

McCain received another boost Sunday with reports that Puerto Rico Republicans had awarded their 20 delegates to the Arizona senator, in an overwhelming defeat for former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee.

Huckabee, still in the Republican race despite trailing badly to McCain, said Nader's entry would hurt the Democrats.

"So naturally Republicans would welcome his entry into the race and hope that maybe a few more will join in," he told CNN.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
yeah he believes all that global warming religious zealotry....

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sweden
NMN?

No middle name

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
i thought he was referring to the white rapper....

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
I don't think Nader's associated with the Green Party anymore. He ran without them the last time.

I should have been more specific about that. The reason I mentioned both Nader and Greens was to make clear that they are separate "items" now, though have been connected in the past. If I mentioned only Nader, it would look (IMHO) like I didn't care for the Green party, only for one of their most famous (ex-)members.

When thinking about it, I wonder what actually made them go separate ways.

Quote:
In 2000, he was a good third choice; but he's gone a bit nuts since then.

I'd go nuts if everyone (falsely) hold me responsible for the Bush presidency.

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
believe me no one thinks anyone from sweden is responsible for anything. they blame everything on everyone else.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sweden
NMN?

No middle name

That's surprisingly geek-ish of you. ;\)

M'n'M had been more fun.

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
So the hippies do have someone to vote for this year.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Interviewed on Charlie Rose, Ralph Nader said that it's a total myth to scapegoat him as someone who gave the election to Bush in 2000.
He said 26% of those who voted for him were Republicans (of which I was one).
And 38% of those who voted for him were Democrats.

And that the rest were dis-enfranchised people who with no alternative would have stayed home and not voted anyway.

The number of votes for Nader is so small, in any of the Presidential races he's been in, that I think it's a total disconnect from reality on the part of Democrats to blame Nader for their own failure.

You might as well blame Pat Buchanan too.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Nader

In 2000, Nader received 2,883,105 votes, for 2.74 percent of the popular vote,[38] missing the 5 percent needed to qualify the Green Party for federally distributed public funding in the next election, yet qualifying the Greens for ballot status in many new states.

Nader's votes in New Hampshire and Florida exceeded the difference in votes between Gore and Bush.[39] A New Hampshire exit poll indicated that Nader's presence in the race was not a factor in Bush's victory in that state.[40] Winning either state would have given Gore the presidency, and while critics claim this shows Nader tipped the election to Bush, Nader has called that claim "a mantra — an assumption without data."[41] Michael Moore at first argued that Florida was so close that votes for any of seven other candidates could also have switched the results,[42] but in 2004 joined the view that Nader had helped make Bush president.[43][44] Other Nader supporters argued that Gore was primarily responsible for his own loss.[45] But Eric Alterman, perhaps Nader's most persistent critic, has regarded such arguments as beside the point: "One person in the world could have prevented Bush's election with his own words on the Election Day 2000."[46] Nation columnist Alexander Cockburn cited Gore's failure to win over progressive voters in Florida who chose Nader, and congratulated those voters: "Who would have thought the Sunshine State had that many progressives in it, with steel in their spine and the spunk to throw Eric Alterman's columns into the trash can?"[47] Nader's actual influence on the 2000 election is the subject of considerable discussion, and there is no consensus on Nader's impact on the outcome.[48][49][50][51][52]

Meeting with John Kerry — Ralph Nader and Democratic Candidate John Kerry held a widely publicized meeting early in the 2004 Presidential campaign. In the the documentary An Unreasonable Man (2006), Nader described the meeting. Nader said that John Kerry wanted to work to win Nader's support and the support of Nader's voters. Nader then provided more than 20 pages of issues that he felt were important and he "put them on the table" for John Kerry. According to Nader the issues covered topics ranging from environmental, labor, healthcare, tax reform, corporate crime, campaign finance reform and various consumer protection issues.
    Nader reported that he asked John Kerry to choose any 3 of the issues and highlight them in his campaign and if Kerry would do this, he would refrain from the race. Several months passed and Kerry failed to adopt any of Nader's issues as benchmarks of his campaign, so on February 22, 2004, Nader announced on NBC that he would indeed run for president as an independent, saying, "There's too much power and wealth in too few hands."

Paying Nader not to run — Nader also reported in the documentary An Unreasonable Man that many wealthy Democratic donors offered to give money to his public interest groups if he declined to run, however, none of these groups would go a step further to guarantee that his issues would get a fair hearing in Washington. Nader replied, "why should I spend all of your money working on issues that are just going to run into a brick wall in Washington?"

Nader's 2004 campaign ran on a platform consistent with the Green Party's positions on major issues, such as opposition to the war in Iraq. Due to concerns about a possible spoiler effect in 2000, many Democrats urged Nader to abandon his 2004 candidacy. The Chairman of the Democratic National Committee, Terry McAuliffe, argued that Nader had a "distinguished career, fighting for working families", and "would hate to see part of his legacy being that he got us eight years of George Bush."
    [Nader] received 463,653 votes, for 0.38% of the popular vote.[53] Nader replied to this, in filmed interviews for
    [the documentary] An Unreasonable Man, by pointing out that, "Voting for a candidate of one's choice is a Constitutional right, and the Democrats who are asking me not to run are, without question, seeking to deny the Constitutional rights of voters who are, by law, otherwise free to choose to vote for me."

Link Copied to Clipboard