Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Pretty good stuff, so far. It's like Millar wanted to write a post-apocalyptic/Mad Max/old west-type story, and just dressed it up with Marvel U characters. Nothing big has happened so far (Only two parts have been published), but it's worth the read. Clint Barton (Hawkeye) and Logan begin a journey across what's left of America. Barton's vehicle? The Spider-fucking-Buggy. No, I'm not joking. Only Mark Millar...

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
if tomorrow morning you were told it was a misprint and geoff johns wrote the same story, would you then dub the spider buggy as "fan wank"?

giant picture
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Meh, i don't like comic-Wolverine.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
if tomorrow morning you were told it was a misprint and geoff johns wrote the same story, would you then dub the spider buggy as "fan wank"?

The problem with that is it's not possible that Geoff Johns wrote that. For example, when they unveiled the Spider-Buggy, it was NOT followed by a page-and-a-half of the characters "casually" talking about how "kewl" the Spider-Buggy is, and how regal the "classic-ness" of the Buggy is...with the Buggy looking off into the horizon, a gleam of insisted-awesome in the headlights...

Geoff Johns isn't a good enough storyteller to make you feel emotions. He has to tell you what emotions you should be feeling.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Jeremy
Meh, i don't like comic-Wolverine.

It's called a good story. Yes, I know there's no nostalgic Kryptonian fanwank for you to bathe in, Jeremy. Just try and grasp the idea that it might still be worth reading...

only mostly dead
300+ posts
only mostly dead
300+ posts
Geoff Johns, the man that brought us universe-changing-sexually-frustrated-wall-punches and a Giant-Yellow-Glow-In-The-Dark-Space-Cricket-Of-Fear.

This man is the king of lame-ass plot devices.

I can hardly wait to see what he invents to make Barry work. Silver-age-monkies-of-making-the-audience-care-about-somebody-that's-been-dead-for-twenty-years?

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus

The problem with that is it's not possible that Geoff Johns wrote that. For example, when they unveiled the Spider-Buggy, it was NOT followed by a page-and-a-half of the characters "casually" talking about how "kewl" the Spider-Buggy is, and how regal the "classic-ness" of the Buggy is...with the Buggy looking off into the horizon, a gleam of insisted-awesome in the headlights...

Geoff Johns isn't a good enough storyteller to make you feel emotions. He has to tell you what emotions you should be feeling.

Bow ties are coool.
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts

That's my one problem with Action Comics now. The scenes with Clark and Pa make it so obvious that Pa is going to die. I don't think it'll be that emotional when it actually happens. Though I'll take your challenge Pro, I'll check it out next time I'm at the bookstore.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Or you could just download it like I did...

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I like the art. Flipped through the issue and the story seemed cool, but I didn't really bother reading it.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I hate the art. Didn't really bother and flipped through the story it, reading it seemed cool.

Bow ties are coool.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Hatred the art. Didn' of t the inconvenience really and moved of a pull with history, reading seemed it fresh.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
mxy is a witch, he speaks in strange riddles.

Bow ties are coool.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
It's called Babelfishian.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
...Yes, I know there's no nostalgic Kryptonian fanwank ...

Just nostalgic 70s-era Marvel fanwank....

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
No there's not. Have you read it?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think a good argument can be made that putting the Spider-Buggy in anything is, per se, "70s nostalgia fan wank."

Last edited by the G-man; 2008-08-12 6:01 PM. Reason: By way: nice "Dr. Who Meets Fyrebug" avatar. Seriously.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
So, then, you haven't read it, have you?

Last edited by Prometheus; 2008-08-12 7:23 PM. Reason: Thanks! Just having fun with Photoshop...
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm guessing you haven't read everything Johns has written either.

With that being said, I gotta admit that the story sounds intriguing and I might pick up the trade when it's all said and done.

At the same, however, just because a story is entertaining doesn't mean someone can't legitimately accuse it of having a certain level of "fanwank" in it. As someone else pointed out on another thread recently, most modern superhero comics have a certain level of wankery.

Given that, I think its well within the realm of possibility that Millar's SpiderBuggy reference, no matter how entertaining it may or may not be, is in fact "fanwank."

Finally, and as an aside, I think that some people tend to overuse the term "fanwank" as shorthand for "any story I don't like that involves continuity". It's becoming almost as overused as "jump the shark".

only mostly dead
300+ posts
only mostly dead
300+ posts
He's right, it's jumped the wank.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Wanked the fridge, even.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man

I've read enough. JSA, Flash, Avengers, Infinite Crisis. Those series more than paint a good picture of Geoff Johns craptacular record.

Meanwhile, the usage of the Spider-Buggy in this story is not, nor is it presented as, "fanwank". It's not continuity. It is, in fact if nothing else, literally making fun of the whole idea and concept that Spider-Man would have a vehicle, much less a fucking dune-buggy.

But, having not read it, I can safely accept that you're just arguing to argue...

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Sounds like fanwank to me!

and I hate to agree with Gay-Man!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Taking guesses and actually reading the material are two different things.

And I hate for you to agree with Gay-Man, as well...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I've read enough. JSA, Flash, Avengers, Infinite Crisis. Those series more than paint a good picture of Geoff Johns craptacular record.

His Flash and JSA were almost universally critically and commercially acclaimed. His work on Sinestro Corps is also very well-regarded.

Quote:
the usage of the Spider-Buggy in this story is not, nor is it presented as, "fanwank". It's not continuity. It is, in fact if nothing else, literally making fun of the whole idea and concept that Spider-Man would have a vehicle, much less a fucking dune-buggy.

Bringing back stuff to make fun of it can also a form of "fanwank," albeit in the guise of "irony." And, yes, unless Marvel is doing "Elsworlds" here, it is "continuity."

Quote:
But, having not read it, I can safely accept that you're just arguing to argue...

Not really. I'm just pointing out that one fan's pleasurable "wank" is another fan's "crap."

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man

Bow ties are coool.
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

His Flash and JSA were almost universally critically and commercially acclaimed. His work on Sinestro Corps is also very well-regarded.

Quote:
the usage of the Spider-Buggy in this story is not, nor is it presented as, "fanwank". It's not continuity. It is, in fact if nothing else, literally making fun of the whole idea and concept that Spider-Man would have a vehicle, much less a fucking dune-buggy.

Bringing back stuff to make fun of it can also a form of "fanwank," albeit in the guise of "irony." And, yes, unless Marvel is doing "Elsworlds" here, it is "continuity."

Quote:

Not really. I'm just pointing out that one fan's pleasurable "wank" is another fan's "crap."

I fucking hate it when this cunt actually makes sense!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Bringing back stuff to make fun of it can also a form of "fanwank," albeit in the guise of "irony."

In your uninformed opinion. As I have already outlined the type of fanwank Johns is personally responsible for, and as that was the comparative basis by which Rob made the point, it is not in this case any form of fanwank.

Quote:
And, yes, unless Marvel is doing "Elsworlds" here, it is "continuity."

Just another possible future for the X-verse. Are all of those equally canon? Of course not. Your point is dismissed.

Quote:
 Quote:

Unless you have actually read it, and understand the story, then I don't see where you flawed point is relevant to anything in this thread. I in fact think you're still trying to pick a fight, like you a-l-w-a-y-s do.

MEANWHILE has anyone actually read the fucking story? Please respond before G-Man starts trying to argue the definition of "Is". Thanks...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Nowhereman
I fucking hate it when this cunt actually makes sense!

It's your prerogative to agree if you want. No one's forcing you to accept the truth.

So, have you read the story?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

In your uninformed opinion. As I have already outlined the type of fanwank Johns is personally responsible for, and as that was the comparative basis by which Rob made the point, it is not in this case any form of fanwank.

Unless Webster's has really hit rock bottom, there's no official definition of "fanwank." But at least one source indicates that (ironically, in the context of "Dr. Who," of all things) "fanwank" includes "any piece of work which reuses old monsters or characters purely in an attempt to stir feelings in the groins of sad anal fanboys."

I think bringing back the SpiderBuggy arguably fits that definition.

Quote:
[Old Man Logan] Just another possible future for the X-verse. Are all of those equally canon? Of course not.

Millar himself is on record as saying "Old Man Logan" is in continuity:
  • The storyline fits very neatly into Marvel continuity and crosses over directly with my FANTASTIC FOUR run, and even subtly with [my other upcoming project] 1985. This is why we did this in the regular WOLVERINE title as apposed to a special mini-series.

Quote:
But, having not read it, I can safely accept that you're just arguing to argue... you're still trying to pick a fight, like you a-l-w-a-y-s do.

No, Pro. I was just discussing something about the state of modern comics. Do I agree with your position here? Obviously not. But I've tried to explain myself without unduly attacking you. I just wish you could do the same thing.

As I said before, the story looks interesting and I plan on giving it a look (and maybe buying it) when it hits the trades (which is the case with every Marvel book I get these days). I enjoy a lot of Millar's work and hope this will be another example.

At the same time, however, I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that the man never puts any fanwank into his stuff.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Dude, you loved his Flash run up till about 200.

Besides, I believe that G-man's point is valid. There's nothing wrong with fanwank as long as that's not all a comic is. I'd have to say that including the Spiderbuggy is fanwank even if Millar did it well.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Unless Webster's has really hit rock bottom, there's no official definition of "fanwank." But at least one source indicates that (ironically, in the context of "Dr. Who," of all things) "fanwank" includes "any piece of work which reuses old monsters or characters purely in an attempt to stir feelings in the groins of sad anal fanboys."

I think bringing back the SpiderBuggy arguably fits that definition.

How can you make that assumption without having read how it's used? Or why?

Quote:
Millar himself is on record as saying "Old Man Logan" is in continuity:
  • The storyline fits very neatly into Marvel continuity and crosses over directly with my FANTASTIC FOUR run, and even subtly with [my other upcoming project] 1985. This is why we did this in the regular WOLVERINE title as apposed to a special mini-series.

Okay, fair enough. I concede that point since I did not know that little bit. Still, unless they absolutely make that the one, true future of the Marvel U, then it makes no sense, now does it?

Quote:
No, Pro. I was just discussing something about the state of modern comics. Do I agree with your position here? Obviously not. But I've tried to explain myself without unduly attacking you. I just wish you could do the same thing.

Oh please man. Please. Try that innocent line on someone who doesn't talk with you all the time. They might buy the act. But, be honest with me. I, at least, deserve that much. You're saying it's Fanwank that the Spider-Buggy appears. I'm saying it's not at all. I've read the story. You haven't. Thus, until you read the story (and remain with the same opinion, I'm certain) I can't accept this whole "discussion" as anything but you wanting to debate (over nothing, mind you).

Quote:
At the same time, however, I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that the man never puts any fanwank into his stuff.

And I have never stated that he doesn't. I'm not defending Millar based on some wide-eyed love of the man. I was simply pointing out the facts. Fact is, the use of the Spider-Buggy isn't fanwank. Fact is, it's certainly not fanwank as defined by Geoff John's unholy pen. That's all I'm saying.

Meanwhile, I think the story could be a lot of fun and I was wanting to express my rare love of a Wolverine story in this thread...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Dude, you loved his Flash run up till about 200.

Never said I didn't. Ever. But, anything post-200 is exactly what I'm talking about. Thus, it's on the list. Why should that have to be clarified? I thought with someone who knew me as much as you do, you would automatically understand what I was saying.

Quote:
Besides, I believe that G-man's point is valid. There's nothing wrong with fanwank as long as that's not all a comic is. I'd have to say that including the Spiderbuggy is fanwank even if Millar did it well.

I disagree. Fanwank is Geoff Johns on every title he touches. This is a story that happens to have a recognizable car in it (briefly I might add). Nothing remotely alike.

Meanwhile, did you read the story?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Fanwank is Geoff Johns on every title he touches.

Excuse me, aren't you the same poster who keeps telling us that we can't form an opinion on whether or not something is "fanwank" until we've read the story?

So, either you're reading every title Johns writes or you're engaged in the same type of spectulation that you view as unfair when directed at Millar and the SpiderBuggy.

only mostly dead
300+ posts
only mostly dead
300+ posts
Just when you thought this thread had Jumped the Fridge, it comes back for more.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Excuse me, aren't you the same poster who keeps telling us that we can't form an opinion on whether or not something is "fanwank" until we've read the story?

So, either you're reading every title Johns writes or you're engaged in the same type of spectulation that you view as unfair when directed at Millar and the SpiderBuggy.

My statements are based on previous readings of his material. Are you saying that, based on Millar's past writings, that he's full of fanwank?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: The Dread Pirate Westley
Just when you thought this thread had Jumped the Fridge, it comes back for more.

Dude, I know.

At no point did I think something as harmless as a thread about a book I enjoyed reading would cause such a pointless debate. But, I notice that the same ones debating in her with me about this are the exact same ones that threw a fit when I said I wanted T&A from a movie Catwoman. Funny that, eh? ;\)

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

My statements are based on previous readings of his material. Are you saying that, based on Millar's past writings, that he's full of fanwank?

I'm saying that, based on past writings of mainstream comics, Millar enjoys throwing some fanwank into his work, yes. In fact, if pressed, I'd go so far as to say that stories about heroes' last adventures, imaginary futures, etc., with nostalgic nods and/or gags involving obscure bits of continuity and "where are they now" cameos of how the writer wishes the characters would end up are often a form of fanwank.

I'm also saying, as noted above, that I think some people overuse the term fanwank when what they really mean is "material I do not, myself, enjoy."

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I'm saying that, based on past writings of mainstream comics, Millar enjoys throwing some fanwank into his work, yes.

Fair enough. Although, I would be curious as to hear some examples from you concerning Millar. He's nowhere near perfect. But, I've never ranked him in the category of Johns & Co.

Quote:
In fact, if pressed, I'd go so far as to say that stories about heroes' last adventures, imaginary futures, etc., with nostalgic nods and/or gags involving obscure bits of continuity and "where are they now" cameos of how the writer wishes the characters would end up are often a form of fanwank.

Possibly. But, I find it hard to accept that definition without lumping in every possible future story ever. But, I think that's over-stating the concept, really.

Quote:
I'm also saying, as noted above, that I think some people overuse the term fanwank when what they really mean is "material I do not, myself, enjoy."

I wouldn't neccessarily disagree here. But, I think there's a defining line to successfully demonstrate a difference, though...

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Nowhereman and I should be proud to have introduced the word "wank" into the American vernacular.

The Spider-buggy reference is surely a piss-take rather than fanwank, isn't it?

I saw the cover to the third issue the other day - lots of dessicated super hero corpses in a grave. Might have a look.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard