Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/sfl-flaeconplan1018sboct18,0,6939073.story

• WITH EDGE IN ADS, OBAMA NEARS RECORD CAMPAIGN SPENDING:
    Previous record of $188 million spending peak set by Bush in '04

By Jim Rutenberg | The New York Times

October 18, 2008
    PHILADELPHIA - Sen. Barack Obama is days away from breaking the $188 million advertising spending record set by President Bush in the 2004 general election campaign, having unleashed an advertising campaign of a scale and complexity unrivaled in the television era.

With advertisements running repeatedly day and night, on local stations and on the major broadcast networks, on niche cable networks and even on video games and his own dedicated satellite channels, Obama is now out-advertising Sen. John McCain nationwide by a ratio of at least 4-to-1, according to CMAG, a service that monitors political advertising. That difference is even larger in several closely contested states.

The huge gap has been made possible by Obama's decision to opt out of the federal campaign finance system, which gives presidential nominees a dollar for every dollar they raise but limits to $84 million the amount they can spend between their party convention and Election Day. McCain is participating in the system.

Obama, who at one point promised to participate in it as well, is expected to announce in the next few days that he raised more than $100 million in September alone, a figure that would shatter previous monthly fundraising records.

"This is uncharted territory," said Kenneth Goldstein, the director of the Advertising Project at the University of Wisconsin. "We've certainly seen heavy advertising battles before. But we've never seen in a presidential race one side having such a lopsided advantage."

While Obama's decision to forgo the matching funds — and the limits that come with them — has given him a spending advantage throughout the election, his television dominance has become most apparent in the past few weeks, as he has gone on a buying binge of television time that has allowed him to utterly swamp McCain's campaign with concurrent lines of positive and negative messages.

The Obama advertisements come as Republicans began a blitz of automated telephone calls attacking Obama.

The Obama campaign's advertising approach — which has included ads of up to two minutes long in which Obama positively lays out his agenda, and, even, ads in video games like Guitar Hero — has helped mask some of Obama's rougher attacks on his rival.

"What Obama is doing is being his own good cop and bad cop," said Evan Tracey, the chief operating officer of CMAG, who calls the ad war "a blow out" in Obama's favor. McCain is also getting some help from the Republican Party's independent advertising unit, but it cannot coordinate with the party leadership or McCain's campaign, meaning it is not always in line with McCain's campaign message.

And, a smattering of outside groups is running hard-charging ads against Obama in the states, but he has the money to immediately meet those attacks with defensive spots directly addressing their charges.

Now spending almost as much as he can in local television markets, Obama has increased his advertising on the broadcast television networks — including on NFL games and soap operas — that reach all the states.

"They're doing the networks because they've saturated these markets and they're looking for more time," said Tracey, on CMAG.

Last Sunday, Obama bought so heavily on NFL games and 60 Minutes on CBS that, according to CMAG, he spent $6.5 million on a day when McCain spent less than $1 million.

Based on his current spending, CMAG predicts Obama's general-election advertising campaign will surpass the $188 million Bush spent on his in 2004 campaign by early next week. McCain has spent $91 million on advertising.

Amazing that, even at this 4-to-1 level of overwhelming advantage, Obama is struggling to maintain a lead in the polls, and stays within the 3% margin of error, despite the enormous levels at which he is outspending McCain.

It manifests that Obama is a lousy candidate with a distasteful record, and hard to sell, at any price.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Glorious Leader is buying the election so that no one else will ever be able to do so again.

He is destroying the system in order to save us.

Fight the Power. Praise Allah. Praise Obama.

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Yeah. It sucks when no one wants to donate money to the republicans, eh? \:lol\:

It sucks even more (for republicans) when people who have NEVER donated money to a political candidate before are donating record amounts of money in the hopes of getting this country out of the gOp created nightmare we're currently in.

If you're going to attack Obama's money, you need to keep in mind that he's getting it from a large segment of this country who is fed up. And no scurrilous gOp smear of it coming from Hamas or something is going to change that.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I, for one, applaud our leader's efforts to destroy the public financing system. It was antiquated and contrary to free speech. It will also soon be unnecessary because there will be no more messy elections under Lord Obama.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: whomod
Yeah. It sucks when no one wants to donate money to the republicans, eh? \:lol\:

yeah, for whatever reason people think they should hand out money to black people.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
 Originally Posted By: whomod

yeah, for whatever reason people think they should hand out money to black people.

yeah. Thats the new McCain campaign race baiting tactic. I'm just amazed that most of the media haven't caught the inference yet. Obama wants to take your wealth and hand out checks to people. The inference is pretty obvious.

S'Okay. I don't think most people aern't as hate and bigotry filled as you like to think they are.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Are you gonna sue him for stealing your schtick?

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Remember when campaign finance reform was a big issue with the libs? How they really wanted it to happen since they were afraid of our leaders taking in too money, and essentially being bought off?

What happened to all that?

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Who could buy off our Glorious Leader Obama that could possiby counteract the influence of Rev. Wright, William Ayers, Tony Rezko and George Soros?

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA
Remember when campaign finance reform was a big issue with the libs? How they really wanted it to happen since they were afraid of our leaders taking in too money, and essentially being bought off?

Yeah. It's really terrible a Presidential candidate being bought off by millions of hard working Americans 25 dollars at a time.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
What about the 60 million from foreign sources?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Only whomod could believe that the hundreds of millions of dollars that Fearless Leader has raised was a result of average Americans chipping in 25 bucks at a time.

Of course the pussy danced around the issue that libs used to advocate campaign finance reform just a few years ago.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
What about the 60 million from foreign sources?

To people like George Soros and the PLO, a few million is a small donation. Cut them some slack.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Well as Pro pointed out in the xenophobe press thread, if they aren't American's it shouldn't be talked about. My apologies.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA

If it makes you feel better Obama isn't spending your tax payer money while McCain is spending mine.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Actually McCain isn't spending yours unless you checked off on the donation form on your tax returns. If you did check off to donate why gripe?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Actually McCain isn't spending yours unless you checked off on the donation form on your tax returns. If you did check off to donate why gripe?

Was that a gripe?

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
You forgot already? Are you on meds?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

If it makes you feel better Obama isn't spending your tax payer money while McCain is spending mine.

I agree with you, MEM. Public financing of campaigns is a poor idea. In the future, it should be open market and unregulated as a form of free speech.

Seriously. If there is one bit of good to come from all of this it will be the fact that campaign finance reform will be killed off by Obama's huge haul.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I would prefer that Obama would release all the names of his donors even the ones under 200$. But he doesn't have to so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. He technically is not doing anything illegal. Howevver, unless there is some legislation down the road we will never see a nominee accept the financing and limits that come with it and we are going to see crazy spending in the future. Obama has spent 600 million so far that is crazy........2012 may be even more than that when McCain runs against Hillary.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
You forgot already? Are you on meds?

I just didn't see where that was a gripe, perhaps your just being oversensitive?

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
perhaps your just being oversensitive?

Go look in the mirror and repeat that.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
It's okay dude, a lot of the liberals have been a bit erratic lately. My good friend Jason Perkins hasn't even been able to access the internet.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh

I agree with you, MEM. Public financing of campaigns is a poor idea. In the future, it should be open market and unregulated as a form of free speech.

Seriously. If there is one bit of good to come from all of this it will be the fact that campaign finance reform will be killed off by Obama's huge haul.

BSAMS was being oversensitive, your just being a little bitch.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Calm down man. Relax.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts

I think G-man was being serious. I kind of agree with him and you too. Just get rid of the public financing and let them do it with donations......or in some cases their own money.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I've often been at odds with campaign finance reform. To limit contributions, in essence limits free speech.

My beef with Obama is he flat out lied to America. This is okay of course because he is the politics of change.

I respect the fact that McCain stuck to his pledge even though it hurt him.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: PJP
I think G-man was being serious. I kind of agree with him and you too. Just get rid of the public financing and let them do it with donations......or in some cases their own money.

Naw he was just doing his usual thing. I don't want to get rid of public financing. It's fine as long as it's voluntary for everyone. While I won't be voting for McCain I think it's good that at least this government program helps him compete.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

How is it "being a little bitch" to express the opinion that campaign finance is bad law and noting that Obama's eschewing of public financing may, regardless of political affiliation, turn out to be a good thing in the long run?

If anything, I would suggest that the person lisping his disapproval of McCain for trying to work within what was-until very recently-a system that was generally supported by the left is the one being a bitch.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

How is it "being a little bitch" to express the opinion that campaign finance is bad law and noting that Obama's eschewing of public financing may, regardless of political affiliation, turn out to be a good thing in the long run?

If anything, I would suggest that the person lisping his disapproval of McCain for trying to work within what was-until very recently-a system that was generally supported by the left is the one being a bitch.

You were being a bitch because I never said I wasn't for campaign finance reform. As I posted this gives McCain a chance to compete & while it doesn't help my candidate I prefer people have a choice.

Fair play!
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: PJP

Naw he was just doing his usual thing. I don't want to get rid of public financing. It's fine as long as it's voluntary for everyone. While I won't be voting for McCain I think it's good that at least this government program helps him compete.
He would have more money now if he wasn't being held back by the financing.....don't worry though I just gave some money that would have gone to charity to the RNC for some nice trashy robo calls!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
So the fact that you were insufficiently clear in your earlier statement makes another poster a bitch?

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
So the fact that you were insufficiently clear in your earlier statement makes another poster a bitch?

No the fact that you just made up what you wanted to suit your reply did it.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Here comes the real hate:

Wonder Boy content User a man's signature quote is inversely proportionate to his cock size
3000+ posts 1 minute 42 seconds ago Reading a post
Forum: Politics and Current Events
Thread: Obama outspending McCain on ads, at 4 -to-1 ratio

Link Copied to Clipboard