Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
David Slade Rumored Likely To Direct Wolverine Sequel
  • Fox has narrowed its list of candidates to direct the sequel to X-Men Origins: Wolverine to just two: David Slade (The Twilight Saga: Eclipse Thirty Days of Night) and Robert Schwentke (Flightplan). Star Hugh Jackman is expected to make the final call after meeting with both men next week, but “a well-placed source inside the production” tells the New York magazine blog that Slade is definitely the one.

Written by Christopher McQuarrie (The Usual Suspects, Valkyrie), the film is based, in part, on the 1982 Wolverine miniseries by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller, and has Logan battling ninjas and the politics of the criminal underworld for the heart of his ex-lover, the daughter of a Japanese crime lord. Production is set to begin in January in Japan.

Both Flightplan and Thirty Days of Night were decent flicks. But more importantly, the movie may be based on the Claremont-Miller mini-series from the 1980s. That's the plot they should have gone for with the first Wolverine movie.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
That's what they wanted for the first film, but Fox fucked it up wanting it to be the hub to spin off a shitload of other mutant flicks.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
"shitload" being the operative word.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Rob Kamphausen ass-kicky Administrator cobra kai
15000+ posts 21 minutes 58 seconds ago Reading a post
Forum: Media
Thread: Wolverine Sequel Might Not Suck

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
The first one was a lot of fun. I don't get why it got so much hate.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I actually enjoyed the first Wolverine. I think people need a sliding scale when it comes to superhero movies. Wolverine will never ever have a Dark Knight-level movie. It's popcorn fun, lots of action, and tragic melodrama. The movie was a good Wolverine movie. Any problems with the movie are problems inherent in the character or anal fanboy bitching about timelines and matching the movie to the comic continuity.
And Hugh Jackman deserves credit. He brings the right amount of humor and angst to it all, and he worked hard to get himself into the shape he was in 10 years earlier for the first movie.

Bow ties are coool.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Wolverine was a fun popcorn movie. It was just overloaded with too many characters and took away from what should have been an all out confrontation with Creed and Logan. Also, they fucked up Gambit.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Wolverine was a fun popcorn movie. It was just overloaded with too many characters and took away from what should have been an all out confrontation with Creed and Logan.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Wolverine was a fun popcorn movie. It was just overloaded with too many characters and took away from what should have been an all out confrontation with Creed and Logan. Also, they fucked up Gambit.

I never thought that much of Gambit to begin with so I didn't really care. He threw playing cards and that was really all I cared to see. I enjoyed the fights between Creed and Logan, especially how unbalanced it was before and after the adamantium (and that process was well done). My only slight problem was Deadpool, but mainly because Ryan Reynolds is playing the character in a new film that won't be tied to Wolverine which is a tad confusing (it's like if Bana was cast in the Avengers but as Norton's Hulk).

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Quote:
it's like if Bana was cast in the Avengers but as Norton's Hulk).

Yes, because the Bana Hulk and the Norton Hulk were so completely different from one another that no one would be able to figure out that a different actor had been cast (or recast). Sort of like how audiences couldn't understand when Sean Connery came back as Bond in "Diamonds are Forever" after George Lazenby played the character in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service."

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Quote:
it's like if Bana was cast in the Avengers but as Norton's Hulk).

Yes, because the Bana Hulk and the Norton Hulk were so completely different from one another that no one would be able to figure out that a different actor had been cast (or recast). Sort of like how audiences couldn't understand when Sean Connery came back as Bond in "Diamonds are Forever" after George Lazenby played the character in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service."

Are you being sarcastic or agreeing with me?
Either way my point goes more towards when Connery did Never Say Never Again the same year Moore did his own Bond movie (Octopussy?). Not only was Never Say Never Again a one off unofficial film in a separate continuity, it was a remake of a Bond film (Thunderball) that had already been made.
It's "confusing" in the sense of trying to make it fit with the other film where the actor played the same role when normally the same actor means the same narrative thread.

Bow ties are coool.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I thought it was fucking lame. It should've been a bad-ass action flick. There was nothing even remotely bad-ass about it, and the action scenes were way better in the X-Men movies and the game.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I agree with Ray Adler on the Wolverine flick. I do disagree with Ray on his hate of America though.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
I thought it was fucking lame. It should've been a bad-ass action flick. There was nothing even remotely bad-ass about it, and the action scenes were way better in the X-Men movies and the game.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Irwin Schwab
I agree with Ray Adler on the Wolverine flick. I do disagree with Ray on his hate of America though.

Wolverine is Canadian.

Bow ties are coool.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
you're Canadian.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
you're mom's Canadian.

Bow ties are coool.
1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
Fox fucked it up wanting it to be the hub to spin off a shitload of other mutant flicks.

lol, yeah, who would be stupid enough to start a film franchise with Ryan Reynolds.

Me No Rikey Rob, he's a banana queer!

I shit on Hogan!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
you're mom's Canadian.

i am not. i don't even speak Canadian.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Black Machismo User Sikkbones
1500+ posts 08/30/10 03:43 PM Reading a post
Forum: Media
Thread: Wolverine Sequel Might Not Suck

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Quote:
After months of rumor, flirtation and seeming inevitability the latest word is that director Darren Aronofsky is on board to take the helm of X-Men Origins: Wolverine 2.

Deadline.com reports that the movie is lining up New York locations to accommodate both Aronofsky and star/producer Hugh Jackman, whose families live there. That's just the initial leg of the shoot, with the cast and crew heading to Japan next summer for the rest of the filming.

New York photography is set for March, which will allow the director to promote his new film Black Swan. Christopher McQuarrie wrote the script, which is said to be outstanding.

The handling of this movie seems to be a departure from previous X-Men outings, which seemed to have Fox rushing into production with pliant directors just to get a movie out there. The fact that they've lured Aronofsky, a notoriously artistic director, on board and are taking such pains to accommodate him seems to dovetail with recent reports that there's a new corporate culture at Fox which is about aiming higher on their summer blockbusters.

Between Aronofsky on this movie and Matthew Vaugh's X-Men: First Class, fans may be seeing some of the luster returned to one of Marvel's key franchises.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Sounds like it might be worth it after all. Maybe they'll disregard the entire first movie as a dream! \:lol\: I wish they would just do the "Weapon X" story by Barry Windsor-Smith. That's the absolute essential Wolverine origin for me. Everything after that was just marketing...

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
The movie will start with Logan having a dream where Victor is shown waiting for him at the pier at Muir Island, but awakens and realizes that he is alone, missing an arm, and in jail. Victor on the other hand, meets with a pimp, with whom he has sex in exchange for drugs, and who puts him in sex shows to pay for his drug habit.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
It's the Wolverine sequel, not your biography.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
I wish they would just do the "Weapon X" story by Barry Windsor-Smith.

The first movie was the perfect opportunity to do that one. \:\(

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
it seems ... odd(?) to go to all these lengths to create the perfect wolverine movie when it's the fifth wolverine movie. i'm certainly happy they're going all out for it (and i'd see the movie no matter who directing), and yeah it's better to have it than not have it. just seems a lil backwards.

giant picture
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
I wish they would just do the "Weapon X" story by Barry Windsor-Smith.

The first movie was the perfect opportunity to do that one. \:\(

Dude, I'm ready to Ang Lee that fucking flick. As far as I'm concerned, it didn't happen...

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I'm thinking that Fox is seeing that Marvel is getting some heavy hitter directors for their movies, and DC is putting a lot behind Nolan for not just the next Batman flick but Superman as well and having success. These are the tentpole movies they're going to have to compete with in the coming years. Going back to the formula of the Singer X-movies seems to make a whole lotta $$ sense for them.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Marvel is going to be in deep shit soon. They never should have canceled Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Jackman seemingly confirms that it's an adaptation of the Claremont-Miller series.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/darren-aronofsky-bows-wolverine-168827

Quote:
The director says he is "sad," but the 20th Century Fox sequel would have kept him out of the country for too long.

Darren Aronofsky is bowing out of directing 20th Century Fox’s sequel The Wolverine, saying the project would keep him out of the country for too long.
Fox and Hugh Jackman - who is set to return in the title role - said they remain fully committed to making Wolverine and will move aggressively to find a new director.

Fox hadn’t yet greenlit the sequel. A significant portion of the movie will be shot overseas (there had been plans to shoot in Japan).

"As I talked more about the film with my collaborators at Fox, it became clear that the production of The Wolverine would keep me out of the country for almost a year,” Aronofsky said in a joint statement with Fox.

“I was not comfortable being away from my family for that length of time. I am sad that I won't be able to see the project through, as it is a terrific script and I was very much looking forward to working with my friend, Hugh Jackman, again,” he continued.

Stated Fox: “While we are of course disappointed that Darren can’t do The Wolverine, we also understand and respect his reasons. Having done both The Wrestler and Black Swan with Darren, we know he is an extraordinary talent and we look forward to working with him on other projects in the future. Hugh Jackman and Fox both remain fully committed to making The Wolverine. We will regroup and move forward aggressively.”

Aronofsky’s production company Protozoa has first-look deal with Fox.

Christopher McQuarrie is writing Wolverine. Movie doesn’t have a release date yet.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: hollywoodreporter
Darren can't do The Wolverine

giant picture
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
http://www.mania.com/mangold-tops-wolverine-shortlist_article_130205.html
 Quote:
Just a few weeks after insiders reported that eight directors were on 20th Century Fox's candidate list to potentially direct The Wolverine, Deadline is reporting that search may have been narrowed down to one. The online trade reports that insiders suggest James Mangold seems to be the man to beat with the helmer currently sitting atop the list to take down this next adventure of the Marvel superhero.

And now it seems they've found their man in James Mangold. His previous credits include Cop Land, Walk the Line, 3:10 to Yuma and Knight and Day.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Cop Land, Walk the Line, 3:10 to Yuma

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Knight and Day.

The opposite of

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Yes. That. However, you can't discount the effect of Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz and their egos on why that one sucked.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Jackman apparently just dropped that Silver Samurai is the movie's villain.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
*Spoilers*

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
No, I'm pretty sure that's a DC character.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
You're thinking of Silver Surfer

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard