Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/ed-helms-firing-naked-gun-reboot-paramount-exclusive-130048618.html
 Quote:
Detective Frank Drebin is coming back with Ed Helms on board to portray Leslie Nielsen’s character in Paramount’s reboot of “The Naked Gun” comedy franchise.

The studio has tapped the scripting team of Thomas Lennon and R. Ben Garant — best known for the “Night at the Museum” and “Reno 911″ franchises, to write the screenplay as a new spin on the Drebin character.

Helms starred in “The Hangover” trilogy and “We’re the Millers” and recently recently wrapped “Stretch” opposite Chris Pine and Patrick Wilson. He stars in the romcom parody “They Came Together,” which will premiere at Sundance, opposite Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler.

Paramount released “The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!” in 1988 with Nielsen battling Ricardo Montalban’s character plotting to assassinate Queen Elizabeth II at a baseball game in Los Angeles. Sequels “The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear” and “Naked Gun 33⅓: The Final Insult” followed in 1991 and 1994; the three films cumed $275 million.

The films were based on the 1982 ABC spoof series “Police Squad!,” which was cancelled after six episodes. Jim Abrahams, David Zucker and Jerry Zucker created the series, which also starred Nielsen as Drebin in a similar deadpan vein as his Dr. Rumack character in 1980′s “Airplane!”

“It’s true what they say: Cops and women don’t mix,” Drebin said in the first film. “It’s like eating a spoonful of Drano; sure, it’ll clean you out, but it’ll leave you hollow inside.”

Lennon and Garant recently wrote “Baywatch” for Paramount and “Rent a Ghost” for Fox and just sold “Guinea Pigging” to Fox 2000 for Mitch Hurwitz to direct. They wrote and directed “Hell Baby,” which debuted at Sundance this year” and Garant wrote the Lionsgate horror/thriller “Jessabelle” for Blumhouse and Principato-Young with an Aug. 29 release date.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Goddamnit!

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Why?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Nielsen was Drebin. It's pretty much the only character that he played for the last 20 years of his life. I just hope that they actually make it a good spoof movie instead of the non-stop pop culture references that the genre has turned into.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Ed Helms?

Seriously?

The whole reason that Nielson worked as Drebin was because he played it 100% straight and looked like a guy who played a homicide cop (and often did) in cheesy 60s and 70s cop shows.

The only way this would/could work is if you get the same kind of actor, someone who could've been a cast member on Law and Order or some such show. Helms is not that type of actor.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I am not as adverse to remakes and reboots as a lot of people on here, but yeah, Nielsen WAS Drebin. Dont see how anyone else can do the role.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Patrick Warburton might he able to pull off Drebin but he's not a big enough name to get the nod. The one other guy I can think of who might be able to do it is Nick Offerman.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I wouldn't go with any well known comedic actor. Like the original I'd find an actor known for his dramatic roles that can do comedy.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
By the time of the naked gun, however, neilsen was known for comedy, due to the success of the airplane movie

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
By the time of the naked gun, however, neilsen was known for comedy, due to the success of the airplane movie

He made one comedy with the people who would then make Police Squad.

I wouldn't call that being know for comedy when almost all before Airplane! was dramatic.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Your point is well taken. Perhaps a better way to put it would've been that airplane was so successful that it made it clear to everyone in Hollywood that Nielsen was better served by being in comedies and not dramas. If airplane hadn't happened first I doubt you would've seen either the police squad TV series or the naked gun films. And I can all but guarantee that even if you had they wouldn't have let Nielsen star in them if he hadn't already proven his comedy chops with "airplane"

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Shirley,you can't be serious!

Link Copied to Clipboard