Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
I think it's silly for people to complain about the Yankees spending as this will bite them in a few years when they are saddled with multiyear deals and aging players or injured players. Where some teams will be able to adapt due to not being overwhelmed with Payroll they wont be able to. So it all evens out, its why the Yanks are up and down like everyone else including most small market teams. The Brewers made a heck of a run with a fairly small budget in comparison, you dont hear people complaining its not fair they have smarter scouts and GM. You use whatever resources you have.

very much agree.

there's a lot of ignored negative when it comes to spending, its such a fallacy to not acknowledge that. not just when the team is saddled with the burdens of their purchases, but also the very fact that the money is gone. assuming a billionaire isn't phased by the loss of hundreds of millions of dollars is ridiculous.

the only thing spending guarantees is money spent. in the yanks case, they spent insane money and didn't even make the playoffs this year -- watching, instead, as the cheapest team in the land did. and if they end up winning next year or in 10 years, what do they get? a trophy! its not like they get the money back through winning, its still gone. worse yet, it's not just outta their pockets, but funneled into their competitors.

in a perfect world, i'd love to see a salary floor, where teams were forced to compete. in a perfecter world, i'd love to see more teams like tampa bay succeed (or the a's for a period) to show how it can be done without money. in a perfectiest world, i'd love to have all of these ridiculous numbers deflated. yanks are at 200 mil, but even tampa is at like 40 mil ... how are people playing games for this level of cash?? my dad always tells me that superstars of his day, even big names like berra or mantle, often had to get other gigs to fill in the time between -- from endorsements to bowling alleys to winter jobs.

giant picture