Originally Posted By: Pariah
The problem here is that AIG has no other choice. It's largely because of government mandates that AIG must fulfill contractual obligations that involve bonuses or they'll be in trouble with the law anyway. They're screwed whatever route they take.

Forcing them to circulate money how the government sees fit just ends up undermining the principles behind private business.

Since there's no way to interact with the private enterprise without violating their fiscal independence, they should never have involved government with AIG at all. But I'm sure we all knew that.

Yes, hence my stance the whole time that we shouldn't have given them money to begin with. They made bad decisions (like large compensation and bonus contracts), and now taxpayer dollars are mixed in to pay for all those decisions.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."