Print Thread
Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
But you're also a flaming cock sucking faggot.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex #1117539 2010-05-25 10:31 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Shut up Rex. If you got any more randomly bitter, you would turn inside-fucking-out...

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Anytime he comes here he ends up being an elitist douche. I figured I'd speed up the process.

rex #1117542 2010-05-25 10:48 PM
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
you certainly beat him to it

giant picture
rex #1117543 2010-05-25 10:54 PM
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
It fell apart when they revealed who Jacob was. The flash deadways was another horrible mistake.

This is not the end of the franchise. I think there will be a Lost movie, Damon and Carlton even signed up for one when they choose an end date. It will most likely be about when Hurley is is charge of the island and why it sank. There will be lots of books written. Probably as many as there have been for Star Wars that will explain most the things we didn't get answers to. There will also be video games that will do the same.

I'll even go as far as to predict there will be another series sometime in the next ten or so years. Maybe one that will focus on Sun and Jins kid. The show will be about him wanting to find out what happened to his parents.

Yeah, I think the series was written at least in part to give LOST an "Extended Universe" like the Star Wars universe.

Not written for the sake of the better story but to keep people sucking on the LOST tit until the big show comes along.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I've calmed down alot since my initial reaction.

I still think think final season was poor.

It had it moments. I guess I'll have to choose to focus on that.

I think like BSG I'll wait a month then rewatch the entire series.

Maybe I'll stop at season 5.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I don't hold anyone who enjoyed the end in disregard.

Sometimes I wish I was retarded enough to have enjoyed it.

I'm just left with this stale feeling, and a sense of elitist superiority.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
\:lol\:

Rob #1117549 2010-05-25 11:51 PM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen

WALT:

I think walt falls under "the real world fucked up the story plan." basically the kid hit puberty and grew about a foot between the first and second seasons. I'm not sure if they were planning to have him and michael back fulltime but since each episode took place over the course of a day or two they couldn't use him for more than quick cameos.

Quote:
KIDS:

I think some of the mysteries were just for show and had no real importance to anything. I think the Others were taking kids because they needed to increase their numbers and raising a stolen kid in their culture was the best way to go. Since we saw the Dharma folks having kids and not mentioning fertility problems it was either one of their experiments or the Incident that caused the change. Since no main character got pregnant and came to term on the Island the producers probably never got around to it or decided it couldn't be worked in to any episode in a meaningful/interesting way.

Quote:
CHRISTIAN / SMOKE MONSTER:

I personally think the smoke monster was lying to jack when he claimed to be christian. leading one of jacob's candidates to water which would help all of the candidates survive is against his plan. also he didn't talk to jack and try to get him to kill jacob or otherwise fall in line. at that point jack would've fallen for it.
Also, yeah, christian on the freighter and in jack's office seemed to violate the rule about being stuck on the island.

Quote:
SYMBOLISM / RULES:

when it comes to the Others I think the leader has alot of discretion because jacob doesn't really seem too involved. as long as candidates aren't harmed (severly) then the leader can make whatever rules he wants and claim jacob wants it that way. but there are probably also rules set in place when the society was founded (similar to how the President can make certain executive orders but is bound in other areas).
I think the hatch mysteries can be explained by Radinsky. The guy was a nutso scientist who knew a lot about the Island. We know this because he was clearly unbalanced in the 1977 stories and later killed himself after years alone in the hatch with the Kurgan. From the Blast Door Map that he painted he had clearly explored a large section of the island. Since the Swan station was his pet project he probably incorporated a lot of "Island folklore" into it's design and as he was one of the main people no one ever questioned him on it.
 Quote:
PRE-LOST ISLAND:
who built the giant 4-toed statue?

Doesn't matter imo. Jacob's mother thought all people were bad, Jacob watched MIB live among the tribe and was more curious than anything. In 1867 it was stated that Jacob had been bringing people to the island for years and they all ended up killing each other or dying out. from the origin episode it looks like jacob got the job sometime around 2000 years ago. maybe there was a religion formed around the smoke monster and they built the Temple with its vents and the Others took over the place later on. To me it's like saying "tell me your life story but please explain who built your house and the details of the people who lived there before you." it's not relevant but they left us enough info to form our own theories.

Quote:
why was it presumed by ancient men that adding a giant ship wheel to a glowing light would lead to fun results?

It's like the Bagdad Battery. How the hell did they think to build it and what did it power? It seems like the wheel plan was hatched in the 43 years since the MIB's people came to the Island before his mom killed them all. They were clearly had scientific curiosity (as seen by building wells at points of electromagnetic disturbance). Maybe they found that patch of light and threw dirt at it, then sand, then grass, then a tree, then water. When water hit it something strange happened so they said "lets construct a system to direct water into the light."

Quote:
did the dharma initiative continue after everyone on their island team died?

They showed this for the most part. On the Island only the Kurgan and Radinsky survived in the Swan hatch. Off island they explained it in the "Lost Experience" a few years back (all the youtube viral videos). Basically Dharma's funding was cut and it went under in the late 1980's. It seems like the Island group went on on their own until they were killed (there's also an episode that shows a treaty with the Hostiles/Others were Dharma was supposed to clear out in like 1988, which they violated).

Quote:
who was around to drop the food from the sky?

maybe they had a longterm deal to get a discount and thought they'd actually need a 50 year contract.
 Quote:
what triggered the food to fall from the sky?

it was either scheduled or could be initiated from the Flame station. When John was on that computer there was an option to initiate the drop.
 Quote:
if it was the clock counting down, wouldn't that mean the food dropped on a buncha dead and/or radiated people?

I don't understand what you mean.
 Quote:
were ben and ethan pals as kids, so when ben killed dharma, he brought ethan with him?

Ben and Ethan were shown kidnapping Alex together and the way Ben sniped at him implied they had a history. I personally think Ben recruited Ethan, it matches the concept of recruiting impressionable minds that explains Ben-lead Others taking kids.
 Quote:
other than killing scientists, how do you join up to become part of "the others"?

I think being of use like Juliet or being special like John/Ben/Walt. Before the baby thing they probably just fucked and had babies. I don't think the Others were a group so much as a small society.

All of my knowledge comes from Lostpedia.com which is an amazing site, very detailed. I missed most of these things in the actual episodes myself. It's a very densely packed show.

Bow ties are coool.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
They needed kids because pregnant women kept dying and someone has to wear those fake beards.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Alternate endings for Lost.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/popcandy/post/2010/05/early-buzz-lost-response/1

Did they ever explain the polar bears on the island?

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Dharma experiment, I think.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/popcandy/post/2010/05/early-buzz-lost-response/1

Bob Newhart is the man.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People

in season 2 the orientation film showed brief shots of polar bears when explaining the dharma's experiments. and in season 3 kate and sawyer were kept in bear cages on hydra island while jack was kept in an underground chamber with an underwater window like they have in zoos to watch penguins and polar bears swim. i figure they either got out once their keepers were dead or the others just released them to free up the space and they swam to the main island. it seems like there were only a few since we didn't see any of them after year 3.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yes, I'm guessing they were Dharma too.

They show a clip of Charlotte when she is introduced and going to the desert where a dig uncovers a polar bear skeleton.

Charlotte digs under the skeleton and finds a big leather strap with a Dharma symbol.

I assume it was a leash.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
that desert spot, i presumed, was the same "exit" that ben and locke landed in after spinning the island wheel of fortune.

dr. hanso (or whatever miles' dad's name eventually became) also alluded to the bears in season 5, when he threatened hurley to have to de-poop them after their use in other dharma scientists' "ridiculous experiments"

again, this was never addressed or spoken of or hinted at, which is an aspect of the show (and finale) everyone got upset with. me, i kinda like the "well you figure it out" aspects of the show, where we can sit and speculate that dharma experimented with the wheel, letting polar bears take the hit.

giant picture
Rob #1117597 2010-05-26 8:01 PM
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts

giant picture
Rob #1117604 2010-05-26 10:14 PM
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

Rob #1117606 2010-05-26 10:36 PM
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Rob #1117611 2010-05-26 10:51 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

WALT:

Walt was a candidate to take over for Jacob. Due to either Michael actions, or for some other reason, it was decided he was not the next Jacob. It's also a possibility that he was being looked at by the Others because they were making certain no one could be an adequate vessel for Smokey?

As for his superpowers, don't know. Maybe he was just special in a storyline they let end? The DVD will supposedly touch on this one.

Quote:
KIDS:

The nerve gas that Ben released to kill the Dharma initiative would have been to blame for why people couldn't get pregnant for a long time, or so I would think. Or it could have been the electromagnetic energy that powered the heart of the island? The kids taken from the tail section were to check them for Jacob-worthiness or something along those lines.

Quote:
CHRISTIAN / SMOKE MONSTER:

I think when Jack saw Christian in the hospital, it was either he was drunk and hallucinating, or it was the actual ghost of Christian...much how Hurley was seeing dead people. I also think there were times that it was the actual ghost of Christian on the island.

However, as for leading them to water and the caves, if Smokey detected the possibility of corrupting one of them as a vessel, then he would want to keep them alive to continue his overall long-game. The Smokey we saw in the final season was not bloodthirsty. He just wanted off the island. He needed others to help him do that, and thus he needed the Losties alive until he could use them as needed.

Quote:
SYMBOLISM / RULES:

The Hatch was one huge rat maze, if you ask me. You have to hit a switch at the right time. But instead of a price, and thus greed/need being the motive of desire, it's a system built by fear. You HAVE to press that button, or the world dies. The world DIES! Did the Egyptian symbols freak you out? Did it add an unknown layer to the countdown? The unknown is what scares you. Cause it scared Desmond and Locke and all the rest. And that's why it was there. To say, "HOLY SHIT PRESS THE BUTTON!" Of course, I'm sure Dharma knew it wouldn't be the "end of the world", but rather what it was: the destruction of their tap into an important power-source that the Losties unleashed with the H-bomb back in the 70's.

Jacob could kick Smokey's ass, but he couldn't kill him. And vice-versa. Widmore's crew (Keamy) broke The Rules when he shot Alex. But, it wasn't Jacob's "The Rules". It was Ben's "The Rules". Their rivalry had never involved family members like that. I doubt Widmore told Keamey to kill her, either. That dude was just a psycho-prick (great actor).

Jacob can leave the island because he's Jacob. Smokey can't travel over water, and Jacob's god-powers would stop him from doing so, either way.

Quote:
PRE-LOST ISLAND

The ancient Egyptians we see Brother hanging with. I would say they built the statue. Or, we just don't know how many times the island was visited back then. Remember coming and going from the island was based on Jacob's rules alone. So, back then it was just a super-mystical island sitting out in an ancient ocean. Also, we don't know who added the wheel to the light. But, I'm betting Smokey did it after he was Smokey-fied. Finish what he started, so that he could leave the island. But tragedy! It didn't move him, it moved the entire island! Chalk up another defeat for Smokey and win for Jacob.

RE: The Food Drop. It was probably an automatic drop by a drone plane, launched from somewhere hidden on the island. Why would you try and haul all those supplies to your populated Hatches, across the terrain of that freak island, knowing there's a bat-crazy French lady out there as well as an ancient Smoke monster gunning for your ass? You wouldn't. You would setup a remote plane drop to take place once every six months. Once every year? Who knows?

I want a ringtone of the Smoke Monster's whirring-clicking noises, and that 'monster-howl' it echoes through the forest. That was so fucking cool!!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
http://www.zedge.net/ringtones/478291/lost-the-monster-ringtone/ let me know how well it sounds 'cause I also think that would be a cool ringtone.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Pro, I like that you looked at the same mysteries and came up with different, but equally valid, theories than I did. to me that is a quality in good storytelling. where there is so much texture and richness that not every little teeny tiny bit is explained but all the tools are there to work out an explanation (or several).
people forget that the big mysteries were solved. why was locke in a wheelchair? what crime did kate initially commit? who was the original sawyer con man? who is jacob? who are the others? what is the smoke monster? is the island real, a dream, or limbo? what's in the hatch?
and several other ones have been explained. only the little ones that didn't really matter are left open.

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk

Bow ties are coool.
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
\:lol\: \:lol\:

Rob #1117652 2010-05-27 10:27 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
it really only confirmed what I've been saying for a while now about them clearly having made things up as they went along

...despite always being told and shown otherwise?

LOST Showrunner Carlton Cuse: ‘It Was Impossible To Have Everything Planned Out’
  • "There was a big, mythic architecture which included a lot of what's in the finale, in terms of where we end the show, that we knew way back in the beginning,” Cuse tells SciFiWire in a post-finale interview.

"And then, before each season, we'd have a writers' mini-camp and spend a month without any pressure of writing other scripts, figuring out the architecture of the upcoming season. That'd sort of take the artists' rendering and turn it into blueprints, and then, during the season, episode by episode, we built the structure. We allowed ourselves a lot of flexibility to change things around as we were doing construction.

It was impossible to have everything planned out, and so it was kind of built in stages."

I asked first-season writer-producer Jesse Alexander several months ago whether – when he was working on the series – he was aware Hurley would spend time in 1977. His answer? “Fuck no!”

I seem to remember Lindeof and Cuse saying they weren't certain at the end of season five that they would even pursue the flashsideways.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
it really only confirmed what I've been saying for a while now about them clearly having made things up as they went along

...despite always being told and shown otherwise?

http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_display/45268#comment_3361455

so... basically... what we've been telling you for weeks?

giant picture
Rob #1117721 2010-05-28 10:18 PM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I don't think anyone at anytime said that Lost was 100% planned from start to finish. That is impossible when doing a show that has to work with live actors and network production. THe core structure of the story is what they had planned with little things tweaked here and there.
If you go back to the earliest episode where Locke is showing Walt the game explaining that it was over 2000 years old and served as a metaphor of good and evil. That plus the Adam and Eve skeletons are "proof" of this plan.

Bow ties are coool.
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
the hatch was like 5 episodes in, the smoke monster was in the first episode, ghosts were in the second, rousseau was early on, the others, polar bears, power sources, prophetic visions, etc. you should re-watch season one and see just how much really was laid out -- it's also a bit six-senseish to do so. like an entirely different experience (christian's ghost wore white sneakers!)

obviously there were story arcs and flips along the way, and things like mr. eko being a shit or ben being an awesome, but i think it holds pretty true that the overall show had a definitive map. and, through writer's strikes and renewed contracts, they just had to ebb and flow how much new content to create in the meantime.

giant picture
Rob #1117725 2010-05-28 11:40 PM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
yeah I think people who complain about Lost just have short attention spans. I've never heard anyone say they didn't like the show because of the sci-fi elements.

Bow ties are coool.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I love the show, but they did say stuff like "no one comes back from the dead" or "no time travel" which they ended up contradicting. They never said they had everything completely laid out, but you gotta admit they liked to make it seem like they did know everything. That's JJ Abrams' modus operandi, and when he quit the show the left Lindelof and Cuse to sort out his mess.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
It was never Abrams show. He directed the pilot and put his name on it for credibility. It was Lindelofs show. Abrams just wanted to help out his friend by putting his name on it.

rex #1117754 2010-05-29 2:52 AM
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I'm pretty sure they contacted Abrams to rework a pre-existing concept and he invited Lindelof along. Even if he only directed the pilot and fucked off, that's enough to set the formula the show followed for the rest of its run.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I love the show, but they did say stuff like "no one comes back from the dead" or "no time travel" which they ended up contradicting.

no one ever came back from the dead. there were instances of ghosts and the afterlife but no one ever came back. One of the big rules was "dead is dead." They also never said no time travel only that "what happened happened" (another repeated phrase) and in fact the time travel was like a predestination paradox, whatever they did in the past fit in with what already happened and had no effect on the timeline. even when they tried to change the timeline, they couldn't.
 Quote:
They never said they had everything completely laid out, but you gotta admit they liked to make it seem like they did know everything. That's JJ Abrams' modus operandi, and when he quit the show the left Lindelof and Cuse to sort out his mess.

I don't think they were left with a "mess," they were left with a rough plan and then worked out how to make it a reality. Things only really cemented after year 3 when they inked out a deal with ABC to end the show in year 6.

Bow ties are coool.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
no one ever came back from the dead.

Sayid was dead.

Quote:
They also never said no time travel

They did. I posted the quote here maybe a month ago. It went something like "there are no spaceships, there is no time travel". They were reassuring people that everything on the island is normal and "based on science" (another quote that does exist). Granted, they were only talking about what had already happened up to that point, but I still think it's an indication that they had very, very little idea of what was coming, otherwise they wouldn't have made statements like that.

Quote:
I don't think they were left with a "mess," they were left with a rough plan and then worked out how to make it a reality. Things only really cemented after year 3 when they inked out a deal with ABC to end the show in year 6.

But they were still left with the task of explaining a bunch of things that were clearly throw into the first season without an explanation in mind, like the whispers the jungle (intended to be a sound effect for the others at first, except they turned out to be normal people) or Smokey himself (he sounds like a heavy monster on the first episodes).

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
I posted the quote here maybe a month ago. It went something like "there are no spaceships, there is no time travel". They were reassuring people that everything on the island is normal and "based on science" (another quote that does exist).

wasn't the quote referring to nothing supernatural being revealed yet? as in, season one, when the quote was made?

even then, with smoke monster appearances and sound effects and all through out the first season, as well as a number of prophetic moments, walt's "powers", and other such happenstance, i think it was established very early on the show was going to have sci-fi moments.

they did say stuff like "no one comes back from the dead" or "no time travel" which they ended up contradicting.

i dont know if they ever said either. if they did, i don't recall seeing it. i do remember producers saying that the tv show wasn't a dream and that the characters were not dead (at least, seasons one through five and half of six)

giant picture
Rob #1117812 2010-05-29 3:37 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Your argument could like, get LOST, or sumthin.

Rob #1117813 2010-05-29 3:48 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think it's pretty likely that what happened was:

The producers had the whole "they're all dead and in purgatory" idea early on. And the idea of the island as a magical place would easily explain everything in the first season (why Jack was seeing his dad, why people got 'better,' why babies could be born [because a fetus didn't have a soul]).

Then, way too many people guessed that purgatory was the answer. So, combined with the fact that they didn't know when the show would end, they switched gears and decided to go for a sci-fi theme. They probably figured, with guys like Brian K. Vaughn on staff, they could make the switch and come up with a satisfying sci fi ending that still ended with Jack's eye closing. They then spent a few years planning that out.

And, for a while that was also holding together because a lot of the stuff could to that point, also be explained with time travel and parallel dimensions.

Meanwhile, of course, real life intruded on whatever plans they were building. Walt got old. Ben became a fan favorite. The actors playing Ana Lucia, Libby, Jin and Desmond all had legal problems. There was a writers strike. These things forced unplanned rewrites.

Then, they got an end date and, as we got closer, they had more and more difficulties agreeing on an alternate ending. So they finally said "fuck it, let's go back to the purgatory thing, but we'll add a twist (Earth 2)."

So, in their mind it WAS planned all along, insofar as they went with their original idea. But also it was made up as they went along because they spent a few years with an alternate plan, trying to fill in seasons, accomodate actors, etc.

Rob #1117820 2010-05-29 6:01 PM
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
wasn't the quote referring to nothing supernatural being revealed yet? as in, season one, when the quote was made?

Granted, they were only talking about what had already happened up to that point, but I still think it's an indication that they had very, very little idea of what was coming, otherwise they wouldn't have made statements like that.

Quote:
i think it was established very early on the show was going to have sci-fi moments.

Yeah, but at first those sci-fi elements were supposed to be grounded in "real science". That changed at some point.

Quote:
i dont know if they ever said either. if they did,

They did.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
ABC is re-airing the finale and jimmy kimmel tonight at eight. I'll have myself if I watch it again.

Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard