Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
allan1 #1181516 2012-05-20 3:32 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Absolutely the Marvel movie with the most heart. And I would easily compare it, like you, as this generation's Donner/Reeves Superman. It reminded me of movies of old. They'd be a fool not to get Johnson to come back and direct the second one. I'd hate to lose that personal feel the last one had...

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
Exactly.The director's that they picked for all the initial outings of the Avengers,really did a fine job and it's a shame that some aren't returning to helm at least the sequels to their respective characters(excluding Favreau since he did do Iron Man 2 but wasn't satisfied with it and chose not to direct the third movie). Also please,please,please have Hugo Weaving's Red Skull show up in the Cap sequel at some point there MArvel. Too good of a character to go to waste.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
allan1 #1181587 2012-05-21 2:34 AM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
OH MY GOSH I HOPE THEY DO A SOLO HAWKEYE MOVIE!

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I want another Hulk movie.

I want another Punisher movie.

I want a Nova movie.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I definitely don't want a Hulk movie. He works in small doses. I'd like to see Banner in IM3, hanging out in the R&D floors of Stark/Avengers tower. Ruff and RDJ have awesome chemistry on screen, it would be a shame not to take advantage of that.

I'd be open to fleshing Hawkeye out in a SHIELD movie, along w/Black Widow, Fury, Hill, Coulson, etc.

I would like to see, in no order:

(A) LUKE CAGE & IRON FIST/HEROES FOR HIRE - A superhuman buddy-flick.

(B) DOCTOR STRANGE - Starring: Alan Rickman/Script: Neil Gaiman /Director: Terry Gilliam. I want to leave the theater feeling like I dropped acid. Steve Ditko-style.

(C) WONDER MAN - Simon Williams, an invulnerable stunt man turned superhero. That has massive potential. Get Helmsworth's brother cast, and a writer/director team that knows how to balance comedy/action/fun and you could do a LOT with that character.

(D) SHE-HULK - Gamma-powered 'Ally McBeal'. Get Gina Carrano since DC will never use her as the Wonder Woman she is...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
I definitely don't want a Hulk movie. He works in small doses. I'd like to see Banner in IM3, hanging out in the R&D floors of Stark/Avengers tower. Ruff and RDJ have awesome chemistry on screen, it would be a shame not to take advantage of that.

I'd be open to fleshing Hawkeye out in a SHIELD movie, along w/Black Widow, Fury, Hill, Coulson, etc.

I would like to see, in no order:

(A) LUKE CAGE & IRON FIST/HEROES FOR HIRE - A superhuman buddy-flick.

(B) DOCTOR STRANGE - Starring: Alan Rickman/Script: Neil Gaiman /Director: Terry Gilliam. I want to leave the theater feeling like I dropped acid. Steve Ditko-style.

(C) WONDER MAN - Simon Williams, an invulnerable stunt man turned superhero. That has massive potential. Get Helmsworth's brother cast, and a writer/director team that knows how to balance comedy/action/fun and you could do a LOT with that character.

(D) SHE-HULK - Gamma-powered 'Ally McBeal'. Get Gina Carrano since DC will never use her as the Wonder Woman she is...

A. That could work. Maybe use some other characters for them to fight or team up with.

B.Good choice casting Rickman. I would suport that movie.

C.Maybe not in his own movie right away. Start him in Heroes for hire then bigger parts in other movies.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I'm surprised none of the new superhero movies have been animated. That, to me, would be the logical way to adapt comic books to film and television.

I remember the IRON MAN graphic novel by Michael Saenz, that would translate well into an animated movie. They could better preserve the basic feel of, say, the work of Jack Kirby or Neal Adams.

I really loved the animated movies Wizards and Heavy Metal. The latter really captured well the style of the original Den and Captain Stern stories.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Another interesting animated movie was Final Fantasy.

Based on a video game, but cool computer animation, and interesting story.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
I still love Akira.

I hope this live action version I keep hearing about never hits the screen.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Dave, DC has put out a couple of animated comic adaptations. Some are crap. But one like NEW FRONTIER is done with very special care to the adaptation of the time. Seriously, man, I think you would like it.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Dave, I think you have been burned by the modernness of adaptations and the like. But, seriously man, you should at least try some of things they put out. A lot are crap, we would both agree. But, there are gems that really bring out the old comic pulp feel and are very referential to the history of the medium.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
The Final Fantasy movies were hit and miss. I loved both, since I'm a fan of the franchise, but both CG movies had shortcomings. The first one (spirits within) had a nice story, but the animation itself sucked and frequently bumped into the uncanny valley. Advent Children had all kinds of awesome fight scenes and they were clearly better at animating stuff, but the movie itself will probably only be understood or enjoyed by people who played and finished the major FF7 games (it was like a sidestory to one of the games).

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
As long as we're talking about animated superhero movies - Batman: mask of the Phantasm.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
As long as we're talking about animated superhero movies - Batman: mask of the Phantasm.

Yes.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Dave, I think you have been burned by the modernness of adaptations and the like. But, seriously man, you should at least try some of things they put out. A lot are crap, we would both agree. But, there are gems that really bring out the old comic pulp feel and are very referential to the history of the medium.

I can't deny my indifference to the modern style in the movie adaptations. But as I listed, I'v still seen most of them (not all). I watched the first Spiderman, X-men, and Hulk movies in the theatre, but after multiple disappointments, I chose to just wait for later ones on cable.

And some of them (particularly Hellboy and The Phantom, The Mask and a few others) I thought were exceptionally well done, and both creative and faithful to the original.

I just can't get all excited about seeing these in the theatre when released. With the comics adaptations, I'm more wait-for-video, or for cable.

The worst I've seen recently were the adaptations of WATCHMEN and V FOR VENDETTA.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
The Final Fantasy movies were hit and miss. I loved both, since I'm a fan of the franchise, but both CG movies had shortcomings. The first one (spirits within) had a nice story, but the animation itself sucked and frequently bumped into the uncanny valley. Advent Children had all kinds of awesome fight scenes and they were clearly better at animating stuff, but the movie itself will probably only be understood or enjoyed by people who played and finished the major FF7 games (it was like a sidestory to one of the games).

Till now, I never knew there was more than one!

I'm not an expert on animation, but I liked the visuals in the first movie, and the post-apocalyptic earth setting. I especially thought the military uniforms were cool and futuristic looking.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Dave, DC has put out a couple of animated comic adaptations. Some are crap. But one like NEW FRONTIER is done with very special care to the adaptation of the time. Seriously, man, I think you would like it.

I sampled an issue of the NEW FRONTIER comics series a while back, and didn't like it. Too dark, too de-constructionist, and very bland and ugly art.
It was recommended to me by someone who likewise thought I would love it.

Around the same time I picked up PUNISHER:THE END, a one-shot by I think Garth Ennis, with art by Corben, and I loved it. This is one I've re-read multiple times. Which defies wisdom, because I'm generally repulsed by dark and cynical work. But the political aspect of it, combined with the personal revenge aspect, and post-nuclear end of civilization aspect, really appealed to me in Ennis' story. I mean hey, if there's a time to be appropriately dark and cynical, it's after a nuclear war!
And there's irony that it is essentially everything I normally hate, but done in a way that all pulled together very effectively. Whereas FINAL FRONTIER is arguably all the elements i enjoy, but it didn't work for me.

Whether upbeat, nostalgic, or apocalyptic, or whatever, each story either works or it doesn't. And to some extent, whether it works or not is ultimately unique to the individual reader's tastes.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts

Best Batman movie ever.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts

Yeah, advent children was pretty good. That said, all of my good will for FF stuff has been squandered because of all the video game sequels. FF X-2 started a downward descent for my interest in the franchise. I'd rather play the Kingdom Hearts games now.

iggy #1181911 2012-05-23 11:00 PM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
FF 12 was actually good. It had none of the silly romance angles and emo main characters that made other FFs stupid (in fact, the main character can't even be considered the main protagonist of the story). Voice cast was also tons better.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Marvel did the TPB Captain Universe: Unimaginable Power, AFAIK including all "his" appearances (apart from Micronauts). Just finished reading it two days ago. While I liked the Steve Ditko comics the most (surprise!), I also quite liked the Hulk Annual story written by Bill Mantlo (have read it before in the Swedish Hulk title - back issue). Heck, the only one I really disliked was the last one, mainly because it didn't have a proper ending.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
I really love the concept: "The Hero That Could Be You!"

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Dial H for Hero?

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Dial H for Homo

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
that's what's printed on Lothar's business card.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Dial H for Hero?

Haven't read it.

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Dial H for Homo

Originally Posted By: SoM
that's what's printed on Lothar's business card.

\:lol\:

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard