Originally Posted By: Pariah
Of course. But that mentality's probably going to hurt them in the long run. Intolerance for certain opinions seems to exclude in its effort to include--or at least create an ironic juxtaposition in their attempt to project an image of "inclusiveness."

How do you think this will hurt A&E? What do you think the negative result will be?

They're not even leaving room for argument. They're censoring.

Honestly, I want to understand the side that thinks what you just wrote, so please explain to me a.) What you think A&E should have done (beyond keeping the show going), and b.) Who you think should be arguing the opposing side.

Last I checked, the phrase "open discussion" carried more positive connotations than the term "censorship."

Not really. Generally, people would rather eschew open discussion for confirmation bias.

A&E really has to dig deep into GLAAD's bag of victocratic knee-jerks and tolerance lectures to compensate for the move.

I don't know what this is supposed to mean.

I don't think anyone here said they did wrong;

So, to be clear, you don't consider A&E's "intolerance for certain opinions" or "censoring" to be wrong?

I don't mean that in some backhanded way. It's just that this thread seems filled with posters who feel A&E did wrong. Heck, the title is "A&E shocked when redneck says something...rednecky." It feels like most people here feel like A&E made the wrong decision.

Quote:
Your parallels have cannibalized each other. Honey Boo Boo is, in and of itself, an offensive show that glorifies superficial and self-destructive lifestyles. By your logic, they would have taken that down a long time ago since it risks alienation.

Alienation of whom? Self-destructive behavior = ratings gold is a formula that had proven itself successful in shows long before Honey Boo Boo.

Or are you saying that self-destructive behavior was guaranteed to alienate a certain number of people (which is true), and that, by my logic, A&E would have taken the show down a long time ago, regardless of that what that number was, or how it related to the number of people it would have attracted?

Quote:
GLAAD certainly houses people fanatical enough to campaign against any show containing a character--who isn't labeled as evil--that dissents with their morality.

You realize that there are a number of politicians and regular folks who, as a result of this, are campaigning against a network that they feel dissent with their moral position.

Quote:
But there are two things to keep in mind:

Roger that.

Quote:
a) people, when afforded the chance, tend to allow others to keep their own opinions (despite what social liberals would have you believe)

Two things:

What do you mean by "keep their own opinions"? Do you mean "speak their own opinions"?

Also, really? Do people here still do the whole "stick-and-jab with a broad brush" thing? No wonder I don't see any new liberals.

Quote:
b) it is not, by any means, logical to assume that their propaganda could reach--much less affect--the audience of Duck Dynasty--which is exactly why they'd go through the network itself for a hit job (no different than how they use the judiciary to override democratic measures against their preferred social policies).

Who is the they in "their propaganda"? Are you talking about A&E, painting social liberals with a broad brush again, the LGBT community, or discussing someone else entirely? I think you're talking about the LGBT community, but I don't want to respond with a bunch of paragraphs to something you're not saying.

Edit: I know I didn't actually argue anything, but I figured I needed a clearer picture of what you were saying before I wasted paragraphs in reply.