Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
I'll have to go with AMAZING SPIDERMAN 289, the issue where, after years of dramatic build-up, they finally reveal who the Hobgoblin is, and none of the clues add up to the person they reveal.

Rip off !

Tom Defalco was the writer, and I don't recall the art team, but it was nothing the slightest bit outstanding.

To fully understand incredible anti-climactic suckery this issue presents, you need to read AMAZING SPIDERMAN 238-250 to see how well the mystery, suspense and clues were developed and how thoroughly readers were cheated when issue 289 came out.

Peter David actually wrote it, and was hired at the last minute to do it by Jim Owsley (AKA Christopher Priest.) If I remember right, nobody knew who Roger Stern had planned on The Hobgoblin being, so Tom DeFalco just kinda strung readers along as long as he could. The decision to make Ned Leeds The Hobgoblin came at the last minute and was done only because he had been killed off about three months earlier in the Spider-Man/Wolverine one-shot.

I remember reading this story as a teenager and quitting comic books altogether for about six months out of disgust. Ugh!

Get the fuck out!