PBS News Hour, January 1, 2007

This panel discussion gives some interesting insights into the political and symbolic value and detriment of Saddam Hussein's execution:

[Reporter/moderator] RAY SUAREZ: But yesterday, another video surfaced via the Internet, apparently captured on the camera cell phone of a witness. These images are blurred and shaky. The pictures and sounds reveal the chaos of Saddam's final moments.

As he's moved into position, the Shiite guards taunt Saddam, a Sunni, with sectarian slogans.
    ARAB VOICE: "Muqtada ! MuqTada ! Muqtada !...

1) SLOGANS AT SADDAM'S EXECUTION MANIFEST WHO IS THE TRUE POLITICAL POWER IN IRAQ

RAY SUAREZ: Professor Dawisha, what about the status of the Maliki government? The prime minister confidently said, after the sentence was pronounced earlier in 2006, that Saddam would not live to see 2007. He cleared the paper roadblocks; he cleared the security roadblocks, made sure that it happened this weekend.

Is that a message to the country that this government is in control?

ADEED DAWISHA: You know, the government will be seen as being in control when it actually deals with the real problems of Iraq, when it deals with its own problems: rampant corruption amongst its ministries; the infiltration of the militia into its security agencies.

You notice that, for example, in that video, nobody shouted the name of Maliki. They were shouting the name of "Muqtada, Muqtada, Muqtada." That should tell you something about the condition of the government of Nouri al-Maliki.

2) THE HASTE OF SADDAM'S EXECUTION UNDERCUT THE PERCEPTION OF DEMOCRATIC AND LEGITIMATE IRAQI GOVERNMENT AUTHORITY

THABIT ABDULLAH: I agree with what Professor Dawisha said. In fact, when I spoke to friends and relatives shortly after the execution, they were rather resigned.

Many of them who had, and myself included, waited all their lives to see the end of this regime, their joy was rather subdued, because the real matters at hand was the insecurity, the lack of electricity, the corruption, as Professor Dawisha said, and these are the issues that will ultimately make or break the government.

I should mention one other thing: It was rather depressing, also, to see the manner and the haste with which the execution took place. The fact that it took place in such haste gave the impression that, in fact, these were Shia militias who were executing this individual who represented the Sunnis.

And I think this is a terrible mixing and muddling of the whole legacy of Saddam. Saddam's regime was not necessarily a Sunni versus a Shia regime. It was rather a heinous dictatorship that targeted first and foremost the secular democratic forces in Iraq and, in fact, repressed Sunnis with as much severity.

But the way in which the execution took place, with the shouting of slogans, not only of Muqtada but also al-Hakim's name was mentioned there, gives the impression that, in fact, these are Shias out for revenge, and this is what a lot of Sunnis, who are not necessarily pro-Saddam, are extremely fearful of.

3) THE HASTY EXECUTION MISSED THE OPPORTUNITY TO COMPLETELY SHOWCASE THE FULL SCOPE OF SADDAM'S GENOCIDE, AND ALSO SHORTCHANGED THE KURDS OF THEIR DAY OF JUSTICE.

THABIT ABDULLAH: ...But the execution should have -- I don't see why it had to take place during the Islamic holiday. I don't understand why it had to take place with such haste.

The Kurdish population and the Kurdish parties are upset because the second trial that dealt with the Anfal campaign, which killed nearly 200,000 Kurds, is now cut short, or at least the most important element is removed from it.

There are many other issues which could have been dealt with much better had this not taken place under such chaotic and hasteful circumstances.

On the plus side, Saddam is dead, like his sons. Saddam's possible return to power is no longer a rallying cause. There is no rightful heir or leader for all the various resistance factions to collectively rally around.