Quote:

whomod said:
But terrorism didn't decide Spain's policy. The previous Govt.'s lies about who was responsible for it after the fact sealed their fate. They reaped the whirlwind for their outright duplicity just a few days before the election.

Now contrary to some opinion that has Spain running away with their tails between their legs, fear didn't cause this policy shift, it was anger. Anger at the duplicity regarding "basque sepratists" but also the aforementioned 90% opposition to the Iraq war in the 1st place. Just because you see Iraq as somehow being against the fight on terror doesn't mean everyone shares that opinion. Terrorists targeting countries for their participation in Iraq is just a justification IMO. the correct response is not to stay in a war your people don't beleive in but to fight the terrorists!

Now I agree, the timing sucked. I also agree that a good response shold be that after leaving Iraq, send a large contingent over to the wastelands of Afghanistan, to Pakistan, to Yemen and wherever else these terrorists are ALLOWED to hide. But then I think that should also be our policy as well.

But my point is not that Spain is pulling out, my point is that they are pulling out and doing exactly what the terrorists want: leaving them alone.

If there would not have been an attack on Spain, and Spain pulled out, fine. Like I said, it's not smart to stay in. The U.S. should have gotten the hell out of there as soon as they found Saddam. By capturing Saddam, the U.S. difused a would be problem in Libia, and I'm sure several other nations. But they stayed too long. Now the question is whether the U.S. can pull out without showing weakness? I have no answer for this.

Chant, the leading voices in Europe have shown a lack of backbone, and Spain has proven this to be the case. I know there are other nations in Europe, but what will happen when they are targetted? Will they have the guts to take on the responisbility of seeking justice for their dead, or will they run with their tails between their legs? The thing with terrorists is that if it works once, they think it will work again. Hell, if it doesn't work the first time, they'll try it again anyway.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>