Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#299241 2004-06-05 8:28 PM
1500+ posts
OP Offline
1500+ posts

Quote:

Ex-President Ronald Reagan dies

Former US President Ronald Reagan has died, aged 93, after reports in recent days that his health had taken a turn for the worse.

He had suffered from Alzheimer's disease, and had not been seen in public for several years.

He died at his home in California, according to a friend quoted anonymously by Reuters news agency.

He was US president from 1981 to 1989 and had lived longer than any other holder of the post.

Mr Reagan revealed in November 1994 that he was suffering from Alzheimer's disease, which destroys brain cells and causes memory loss.

Since then, he retreated to his home in Los Angeles, where he had been nursed by close members of his family.

Bye Ron

Last edited by backwards7; 2004-06-05 8:28 PM.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
"When the Lord calls me home, whenever that may be, I will leave with the greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead."

Rest In Peace, Gipper

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Ronald Reagan? The actor? Who's Vice President? Jerry Lewis?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I've had enough of you meddling for one day. Good night, future boy!

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Hey! You forgot:

I suppose Jane Wyman is the first lady! And Jack Benny is secretary of the treasury!

He fixes the cable?
TK-069 #299246 2004-06-05 10:24 PM
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
It's weird. My great-aunt just died, and she had Alzheimer's. To a small extent, you don't get too upset when they die. You're more upset when the are diagnosed, because once their memory is gone they are forced into some sort of limbo. The mind is dying, the body still intact. Death is not a punishment or a cummulation of organs failing anymore -- it is a release, a chance to go somewhere where the mind moves from one corner of the universe to the other faster than light. Regan took this diagnosis honorably, as a gentleman. I have to wonder if I would act as noble if I were given the same sort of news, or if I would end everything right there.

Three cheers, President Regan. You can go rest now. We will see you again.

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Who do you think he is looking the most forward to seeing in the afterlife Nixon or the monkey?

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Wonderfully said, Cowgirl Jack.

My grandmother died very recently as well, on May 20th, at the age of 87. It has been a great loss, she is as close to me as my own parents.
Over the last few years, she's had several devastating bouts of pneumonia. During one severe strike of pneumonia four years ago, we first thought she was going to die. One of her lungs collapsed, and she was never able to walk again after that, and has been on oxygen ever since.
I was grief-stricken at the thought of her imminent death, and yet she survived several other periods of severe illness. It gave us all time to mentally prepare for her death. And while I would prefer if she were still here, there is some consolation in that she is no longer suffering.

I thought of her today when I heard of Reagan's death. Reagan was born in 1911, my grandmother was born in 1917.
Like you said, C.J., at least Reagan's suffering has ended.

I'll never forget what it was like in this country from the moment that Reagan was elected.
Even from the moment his candidacy was declared, for me he was so obviously the only choice for President. Never have I felt better about the direction of our country than in November 1980 and the 8 years after that Reagan was President.
Prior to that, from 1973 to 1980, this country had been stripped of its pride by the Watergate conspiracy and Nixon's resignation, loss of the Vietnam war, the hostage crisis in Iran, two humiliating energy crises in 1973 and 1979, double-digit inflation, and a sagging economy, where many said the best days of the United States were behind us, and all that lay ahead was further decline. The direction of the country was confused, rudderless, and ominously seemed headed for further decline.

Reagan instantly restored confidence in the potential of our country again, strengthened our military, reined in inflation, re-built our economy.
And then, incredibly, signed nuclear weapons reduction agreements with Gorbachev, and ultimately, brought down the Berlin Wall.

Reagan is, hands down, the greatest President of my adult life. I remain amazed at what Reagan achieved in just a few short years, an achievement no President since has been able to regain.
Would that it could have lasted forever.

Thank you, Mr. Reagan, for showing us what is still possible for America. And for the pride and optimism you instilled, that still endures.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Ronald Reagan? The actor? Who's Vice President? Jerry Lewis?

You know, it just dawned on me that TBS was showing this just after the news broke of Ron's passing this afternoon. I haven't seen that movie in so long, I forgot about that line, it was great.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Dave the Wonder Boy said:
Wonderfully said, Cowgirl Jack.

My grandmother died very recently as well, on May 20th, at the age of 87. It has been a great loss, she is as close to me as my own parents.
Over the last few years, she's had several devastating bouts of pneumonia. During one severe strike of pneumonia four years ago, we first thought she was going to die. One of her lungs collapsed, and she was never able to walk again after that, and has been on oxygen ever since.
I was grief-stricken at the thought of her imminent death, and yet she survived several other periods of severe illness. It gave us all time to mentally prepare for her death. And while I would prefer if she were still here, there is some consolation in that she is no longer suffering.

I thought of her today when I heard of Reagan's death. Reagan was born in 1911, my grandmother was born in 1917.
Like you said, C.J., at least Reagan's suffering has ended.

I'll never forget what it was like in this country from the moment that Reagan was elected.
Even from the moment his candidacy was declared, for me he was so obviously the only choice for President. Never have I felt better about the direction of our country than in November 1980 and the 8 years after that Reagan was President.
Prior to that, from 1973 to 1980, this country had been stripped of its pride by the Watergate conspiracy and Nixon's resignation, loss of the Vietnam war, the hostage crisis in Iran, two humiliating energy crises in 1973 and 1979, double-digit inflation, and a sagging economy, where many said the best days of the United States were behind us, and all that lay ahead was further decline. The direction of the country was confused, rudderless, and ominously seemed headed for further decline.

Reagan instantly restored confidence in the potential of our country again, strengthened our military, reined in inflation, re-built our economy.
And then, incredibly, signed nuclear weapons reduction agreements with Gorbachev, and ultimately, brought down the Berlin Wall.

Reagan is, hands down, the greatest President of my adult life. I remain amazed at what Reagan achieved in just a few short years, an achievement no President since has been able to regain.
Would that it could have lasted forever.

Thank you, Mr. Reagan, for showing us what is still possible for America. And for the pride and optimism you instilled, that still endures.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother Dave.

As I said in my last post, it was oddly appropriate that Back to the Future was on when alll the news stations were talking about him, his life, his presidency, his death, etc. At first I thought all the media coverage of it was a bit much (I was just looking for something relaxing that didn't require much thought, been a long week), then as I was making dinner, listening to I thought of something I don't think I'd ever thought about before, and that is Regan was the first president since Kenedy to die.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Cowgirl Jack said:

We will see you again.

Zombie Reagan?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
...Regan was the first president since Kenedy to die.

Lyndon B. Johnson
Quote:

...[Johnson] died suddenly of a heart attack at his Texas ranch on January 22, 1973.

Richard M. Nixon
Quote:

By the time of his death on April 22, 1994, he had written numerous books on his experiences in public life and on foreign policy.

And that doesn't include Hoover, Eisenhower and Truman, who were presidents before Kennedy, but died after him.

At any rate - godspeed, Ron. Rest in peace.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

Cowgirl Jack said:

We will see you again.

Zombie Reagan?

Well there is an alt if anybody wants it!

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I don't think anyone's tactless enough.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

I heard he was gay.

Bow ties are coool.
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Anyway, he is one of the 10 greatest Presidents in history and he was a hero. Ronnie was the last great president we will ever have. Party politics have destroyed any chance at having an original or independent thinker in the white house ever again. A shame his final 10 years were so horrible.

Most sane people will miss and mourn him.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
Quote:

Batwoman said:

Lyndon B. Johnson
Quote:

...[Johnson] died suddenly of a heart attack at his Texas ranch on January 22, 1973.

Richard M. Nixon
Quote:

By the time of his death on April 22, 1994, he had written numerous books on his experiences in public life and on foreign policy.

And that doesn't include Hoover, Eisenhower and Truman, who were presidents before Kennedy, but died after him.

Well, obviously I didn't know that off hand, since I was just over a month old.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:

You've been coming to the RKMBs for how long now?

And that's terrible.
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
Quote:

Batwoman said:

Lyndon B. Johnson
Quote:

Richard M. Nixon
Quote:

Well, obviously I didn't know that off hand, since I was just over a month old.

Christ,I'm not even American and I know Nixon was the last president to die!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I hate communists by the way!

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

Kristogar Velo said:
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:

You've been coming to the RKMBs for how long now?

Point.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Iran-contra.

If you're going to take note of the highs, you must also note the lows.

We all wear a green carnation.
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
One of my first memories was seeing him while he was campaigning for his first term. My mom helped with his campaign in Louisiana. We sat a few rows back from the stage. I was three years old.

He was one of the last great presidents. He fought for what he believed in. He wasn't afraid to make jokes. He wasn't obsessed with polling and stood his ground. He will be missed.

now known as rex
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Baruch Dayan Ha-emet

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Iran-contra. If you're going to take note of the highs, you must also note the lows.

Every day in the newspaper I see obituaries of the famous and not-so famous.

Typically, unless the deceased is some sort of notorious criminal, they are a celebration of a deceased's life with little, if any, mention of "the lows."

Apparently, when the deceased is a dead republican, however, the usual rules of decorum go out the window for some people.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
By the way...

If you want to see how depraved the extreme, anti-war, left has become, read this disgusting thread on Democratic Underground.

Meanwhile, at an ANSWER march - the main organization behind the anti-war movement rallies "Hundreds of protesters are cheering upon hearing news that Ronald Reagan has died."

And then there's this comment: "Rest in hell Ronald Reagan."

I wish I could be surprised.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
By the way...

If you want to see how depraved the extreme, anti-war, left has become, read this disgusting thread on Democratic Underground.

Meanwhile, at an ANSWER march - the main organization behind the anti-war movement rallies "Hundreds of protesters are cheering upon hearing news that Ronald Reagan has died."

I'm sure plenty of conservatives will smile a bit when Clinton goes the way of all flesh...I don't for one minute expect any Clinton obit to skip his Impeachment. It shouldn't. It happened. Just as no one should overlook Watergate when refering Nixon's life.

Not all of us Liberals are extremists.

Reagan had stengths and weaknesses as president. In fairness to him as a man, we should not overlook or overemphasize either.

Jim

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
By the way...

You know posting things like this puts you in the same league as whomod.

now known as rex
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Hopefully whomod will condemn this sort of thing.

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Hopefully whomod will condemn this sort of thing.

Well actually last night I was at the Franz Ferdiand gig at the Avalon in Hollywood. The opening band which was also from Scotland ('The Kings of Glasgow' or something) made a rude comment about hoping he's roasting in hell for all eternity.

Now I thought that was rather rude and inapropriate considering he's not even buried yet.

I respect Reagan tremendously as a person actually. I did grow up in the 80's as a Reagan Republican after all. It's the lapses in judgement (which I also don't think were actually faults of Reagan personally as a matter of fact) which I have issue now that i'm older and more politically aware (Iran/Contra and Central American intervention specifically). He was a great President just as Reagan himself thought FDR was also a great President. You don't have to be locked into a mentality that I have to think any opposition party President is automatically bad, y'know. That's being a sheep.

G-Man, I've discussed my beliefs many a time here. It's unfortunate that my opposition to this neocon Administration has to be misinterpreted as blind partisan loyalty or hatred or anger or something. I think I mentioned in the Iraq thread or someplace a long while back that the extreme right wing/military/intelligence/industrial apparatus have been historically proven to be liars. And now we're finding that this Iraq situation is no exception (surprise surprise). That doesn't mean I think that ALL Republicans are liars. Just as I don't think ALL Democrats are neccesarily good, truthful or even right. I Just don't beleive these ideologically driven fringe extremists that currently hold the reigns nor thier 'true beleivers' fed on a daily diet of hateful AM radio propaganda. Surprisingly perhaps to yourself, I consider them as a seperate entity more than I consider them "Republicans" per-se.

Anyways, now Franz Ferdinand being a pretty cutting edge arty band are going to have arty, liberally inclined college kids as their core audience. So there were a few cheers when the girl onstage made those comments. There however was one guy who looked completely out of place there. Straight laced, uptight looking older WASP man who was trying to shout her out with loud and angry "boo's" . I also disagreed with him. He was trying to instigate and intimidate in order to silence her which of course, given the audience, failed. Evreyone is entitled to their opinions and to voice those opinions, however rude they may be, and all one has to worry about is themselves IMO. If you disagree, then don't clap, go home, or just step outside to the lobby and don't give the band the time of day.

It's not fair either to try to paint the entire Democratic Party or all "LIBERALS" as holding a celebration right now and reveling in his death. It's pretty unfair and sweeping and really serves no point but to try to use Reagan's death to score a few more political points.

Myself personally, I think Ron is up there waiting for his lifetime love to follow along later. A great man. Some uncouth scottish girl isn't going to change that.

Last edited by whomod; 2004-06-07 9:57 AM.
whomod #299271 2004-06-07 10:32 AM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

There however was one guy who looked completely out of place there. Straight laced, uptight looking older WASP man who was trying to shout her out with loud and angry "boo's" . I also disagreed with him. He was trying to instigate and intimidate in order to silence her which of course, given the audience, failed. Evreyone is entitled to their opinions and to voice those opinions, however rude they may be, and all one has to worry about is themselves IMO. If you disagree, then don't clap, go home, or just step outside to the lobby and don't give the band the time of day.

I don't know. If you can't boo at a rock concert, when CAN you boo?

In any event, whomod, otherwise, I think your comments on this particular thread are for the most part thoughtful even where I disagree.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Baruch Dayan Ha-emet

Amen

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
25+ posts
25+ posts
Anyone else find it ODD that the three MOST devastating domestic issues of the Reagan era have not warranted a single word from the National Media who now seem ready to get Ol’ Ronnie deified or at least nominated for Sainthood?

Crack Cocaine, homelessness and AIDS, the word President Reagan could not even bring himself to utter for his first 6 years in office…

Until Reagan was president, I had rarely if ever seen a woman and her child begging on the street. San Francisco had always had a few bag ladies and Bowery winos but it was the federal housing cuts and policies of our sunny and optimistic President that institutionalized what had previously been an aberration.

It was our sunny and optimistic President whose squeamishness about AIDS allowed a pandemic to RAGE out of control without ANY federal leadership.

It was our sunny and optimistic President on whose watch a generation of Americans was ravaged by the crack epidemic with no further guidance than the facile slogan, “Just Say No”

It was our sunny and optimistic President under who’s watch the United States illegally tried to destroy Nicaragua by funneling arms the to Contras through illicit drug sales and other nefarious means.

It was our sunny and optimistic President who’s support for the repressive regimen in El Salvador gave $1 million a day of our tax dollars to murder peasants and others opposed to that government.

Reagan was neither a hero OR a good leader.

That said, I will certainly never forget him. He was calloused, simple minded, highly negligent and a perfect role model for the dunce we have in the office now.

I can’t wait for Karl Rove and G. Dubya to try and spin his death into an election year plea to “continue his legacy.”

I'm Kilgore Trout and I approve this message.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Forget that Reagan cut the 70% tax rate to 28% to allow families money to care for themselves. Most of the homelessness began too soon into his administration for his policies to have been at fault. It was the future planning of Reaganomics that gave Clinton his glory years in office, allowing him to raise taxes. He reduced government to prevent a welfare state where the people it is supposed to help become addicted and reliant to the exent of no longer knowing how to take care of themselves.

Reagan was never much on social issues. He spoke out against Roe vs. Wade and abortion, but did nothing to overturn it. He left such things up to the people who had been appointed to do it. Reagan was about the international scene. He put forth the challenge and the circumstances that led to the fall of communism in Russia and the Eastern Block. Was he a perfect president? No. He had his faults. For you to callously attack a man so soon after his death with total disregard to his goals and accomplishments is disrespectful and ignorant. Please, attempt to express yourself in a manner of decorum and intellect.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
25+ posts
25+ posts
Oh I beg your pardon.

I didn't realize this was the REPUBLICAN PARTY LINE forum.

I think Reagan was a lucky, shitty President. He was vacant and vacuous during his terms in office as President and always reminded me of a doddering old man.

Not a “bad” old man. Just an OLD Man

I thought that when he was alive, and his death hasn't changed my opinion.

So now, like the press who are oozing gallons of praise while ignoring the nasty bits of his Presidency (you know, like selling weapons to the Iranians for hostages and the whole Iran-Contra scandal) I have to make kissy faces and wink because he's dead?

Sez who?

I'm Kilgore Trout and I approve this message.
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

Kilgore Trout said:
Crack Cocaine, homelessness and AIDS, the word President Reagan could not even bring himself to utter for his first 6 years in office…

Crack Cocaaine.
Did he force people to take drugs?
No

Homelessness.
Was it his fault that people were too lazy to work?
No

AIDS.
Did he force gays to have unprotected sex with each other?
No.

now known as rex
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
There is one good thing about Reagan's death.

It means there's less coverage of J.Lo's wedding.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Kilgore Trout said:
Oh I beg your pardon.

I didn't realize this was the REPUBLICAN PARTY LINE forum.

I think Reagan was a lucky, shitty President. He was vacant and vacuous during his terms in office as President and always reminded me of a doddering old man.

Not a “bad” old man. Just an OLD Man

I thought that when he was alive, and his death hasn't changed my opinion.

So now, like the press who are oozing gallons of praise while ignoring the nasty bits of his Presidency (you know, like selling weapons to the Iranians for hostages and the whole Iran-Contra scandal) I have to make kissy faces and wink because he's dead?

Sez who?

There is such a thing as respect for the dead. You can have your opinions, and you can state them. But to do so the way you are so soon after his death just shows that you're even more callous and uncaring as you claim he was. If you are going to question his policies and actions so soon after his death, you could at least do it intellectually and respectfully. Instead, you're being a complete ass. I saw Reagan as a president with faults and failures, like any other person. I'm not a fan of Clinton's policies or administration; but if he were to die tomorrow, on Thursday or even Friday I wouldn't be celebrating his death and trashing him. The dead deserve some amount of respect, former president or not, as do their family.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
500+ posts
500+ posts
Kilgore, did you ever listen to a single one of reagan's glorious speeches?..he had many. He was not a doddering old man.

I agree with Whomod that teh Neocons need to be ousted from the party..I have no faith in their policies or their intentions.

So Nitpicking He'd Nitpick the Merits Of Boobies List: 1) Animalman B.A. In Bunny Luvin' List: 1) Chris Oakley 2) Zod Gay List: 1) Mister JLA Fellatio Rex List: 1) Rex 2) Rexstardust 3) Brian J..whatever
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

rexstardust said:
Quote:

Kilgore Trout said:

Crack Cocaaine.
Did he force people to take drugs?
No

Homelessness.
Was it his fault that people were too lazy to work?
No

AIDS.
Did he force gays to have unprotected sex with each other?
No.

You'll pardon me for wondering where you decided that AIDS was strictly a gay disease. In sub-Saharan Africa, they would beg to differ. Or where homelessness was attributable only to a lack of desire to work. Please point me to reference sources where these, um, remarks are deemed fact. Thank you.

Jim

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard