Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Anyone remember this cover from Seaboard-Atlas' TIGER-MAN # 1 ?

I love the tough-guy dialogue on the cover:
  • "Yeah Tigerman, we killed your sister... so WHAT ?!?"

Man, that's cold !

I mean geez, all these guys did was kill his sister.
Why should he be upset?

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I posted this THOR cover from issue 364 on page 3 of the topic:

But I'd forgotten this other "Frog of Thunder" cover from issue 366:

WTF, the way we like it !

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Bob Layton did a great 4-issue HERCULES miniseries in 1982,
where he re-invented Hercules as a pompous braggart
telling tall tales of his own greatness. Very funny.

As scripted by Layton, Hercules began referring to a thing
he termed "The Gift".
"The Gift" is the honor Hercules bestows on someone by
engaging them in combat. So in other words, "The Gift" is
the honor of getting your ass kicked by Hercules !

Layton also followed up this HERCULES series with a second
4-issue series in 1983

And then a HERCULES Marvel Graphic Novel in 1988.

Another good Hercules story by Layton was a
fill-in issue of THOR during Simonson's run in 1985, in
THOR 356. Scripted by Bob Harras, pencilled by
Jackson Guice, and inked by Bob Layton. Where Hercules,
in braggart fashion, tells a rather convoluted self-aggrandizing
version of a battle he had with Thor.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I love this cover for MOEBIUS 0: THE HORNY GOOF:

Especially compared to the other collected reprint books of Moebius' work. While designed with such a sophisticated look, the cover is so... well... phallic !

Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
OP Offline
Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
"Horny Goof," eh?

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

One of the in-continuity embarrassments that G-man likes:

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 113 (October 1974) by Len Wein, Dick Dillin and Dick Giordano.

A gigantic earthquake threatens to bring disaster on the New York coastline, and opens a gigantic fissure just off shore on the ocean floor, threatening to spread and destroy the region.

Superman takes Wonder Woman's golden lasso, dives underwater, threads a giant makeshift needle, and stitches the two sides of the fissure together, pulls it tight to close the chasm, and saves the East coast !! ( No, really !! )

[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
On the one hand, that sounds stupid and implausible, of course, but on the other, it reminds me of something that might be found in Greek mythology and tall tales, so it's kind of cool.

Remember when Superman got really old and split the future Earth in two, and all this really happened, as it wasn't an imaginary story? Now that was a WTF moment.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
It’s 2004 and there is an X-force comic featuring the work of Rob Liefeld. WTF????

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Quote:
The Time Trust said:
On the one hand, that sounds stupid and implausible, of course, but on the other, it reminds me of something that might be found in Greek mythology and tall tales, so it's kind of cool.

Remember when Superman got really old and split the future Earth in two, and all this really happened, as it wasn't an imaginary story? Now that was a WTF moment.

Yeah, I guess you're right, much of mythology is pretty implausible. Tall tales, like Paul Bunyan, are deliberately exaggerated for humor effect, but other mythology is expected to be taken seriously (or at least it was in the time of the ancient Norse, Celts, Greeks, Romans, etc. )
Greek mythology in particular has an abundance of adaptations in comic book form, mostly in superhero comics, so there's a definite parallel in their grand but unlikely adventures (comic book heroes, and heroes of ancient mythology).

I don't recall the Superman story you refer to. I was thinking of a story where Superman got really old in SUPERMAN 250 (1972), and another story in SUPERMAN 400 (1984).

But there are a lot of implausible/WTF Superman stories from the last 65-plus years, for sure.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
From page 4 of the topic:

Quote:
PixieP said:
 Quote:
the G-man said:

Another, big, WTF:

"The Super Sons" run in World's Finest in the 1970s. Teenaged sons of Superman and Batman who, according to the editors, were not a dream, not a hoax, not an imaginary story, but simply an heretounexplored aspect of our heroes' multi-faceted lives.

WTF?

Eventually, realizing that this facet should REMAIN unexplored, the writers and editor concocted ANOTHER WTF, explaining the sons away by stating they were a Fortress of Solitude computer simulation that Superman and Batman would sit around and watch for hours on end (yeah, that's MY idea of entertainment).

WTF?

Yep. I remember that one. Still have the issue of the latter. The sons found out they were creating all the disasters on Earth and simply jumped in a core of burning energy and that was that. Batman was crying at the end of the story...WTF? Indeed!!!

I just read this story for the first time over the weekend, in WORLD'S FINEST 263 (July 1980, story by Dennis O'Neil, pencilled by Rich Buckler, inked by Dick Giordano ).

I was surprised to see a story of this substandard quality from the pen of Dennis O'Neil.
It didn't add any originality to the story that multiple panels of Buckler's art throughout were swiped from several Neal Adams BATMAN stories (particularly BATMAN issues 232, 243, 244 and 245, B & B 79, and possibly other Adams books I'm less familiar with)
A bit corny, but still fun reading.

The end kind of reminded me of the last 10 minutes of Terminator 2: Judgement Day, where the Super-sons willingly go to their final fate.

The first "super-sons" story was in WORLDS FINEST 215, so this story vehicle lasted roughly 50 issues, although many issues in this run featured Batman and Superman without the super-sons.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Dave the Wonder Boy said:
I just read this story for the first time over the weekend, in WORLD'S FINEST 263 (July 1980, story by Dennis O'Neil, pencilled by Rich Buckler, inked by Dick Giordano ).

I was surprised to see a story of this substandard quality from the pen of Dennis O'Neil.
It didn't add any originality to the story that multiple panels throughout the story were swiped from several Neal Adams BATMAN stories (particularly BATMAN issues 232, 243, 244 and 245, B & B 79, and possibly other Adams stories I'm less familiar with)
It's a bit corny, but still fun reading.

Let me guess: the artist was Rich Buckler. Buckler made his career out of swiping from (ie, copying drawings by) Adams and a few other artists.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Yep. Rich Buckler's pencils with Dick Giordano's inks.

Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
OP Offline
Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
Stupid question time: WTF is up with "decompressed storytelling"? Sounds fairly stupid to me.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

"decompressed storytelling"?

Is that maybe a term for bringing back the DC Multiple Earths, after the CRISIS series compressed them down to a single universe?
Maybe it's the same concept as "hypertime".

Quote:
the G-man said:
 Quote:
It didn't add any originality to the story that multiple panels throughout were swiped from several Neal Adams BATMAN stories (particularly BATMAN issues 232, 243, 244 and 245, B & B 79, and possibly other Adams books I'm less familiar with)
A bit corny, but still fun reading.

Let me guess: the artist was Rich Buckler. Buckler made his career out of swiping from (ie, copying drawings by) Adams and a few other artists.

Yeah, Buckler was the big Kirby clone when he first went to Marvel around 1973, and started doing FANTASTIC FOUR, THOR, JUNGLE ACTION, and fill-in issues on other series like INHUMANS, AMAZING ADVENTURES, and others for Marvel (circa 1973-1976).

Buckler started as an Adams clone in 1970 with a story in HOUSE OF SECRETS 90, pencilled by Buckler and inked by Adams, which helped Buckler make his first DC sale. Buckler did Robin backups in BATMAN 239-242, and "Rose and the Thorn" in LOIS LANE (circa 1971-1972) before crossing over to Marvel for a few years, primarily to do FF and THOR.

In one issue of FF, Buckler accidentally drew an extra hand on an overstretched Mr Fantastic, where a foot should have been (this is shown in the MARVEL NO-PRIZE BOOK from 1982, which is a treasure-trove of WTF's up to that point in Marvel history).

Moench and Buckler also created Deathlok in ASTONISHING TALES 25-33, which is an intelligent and original series, where Buckler for a time broke out of Kirby mode to show his own unique style.

When Buckler went back to DC in late 1976, his first few SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPERVILLAINS stories (issues 5-9) were more in the Kirby style.
Then Buckler went into Neal Adams clone overdrive. This is actually some of Buckler's best and most detailed work, in SSOSV 5-9, BATMAN 265 and 297, TIMEWARP # 1, DC SPECIAL 27, JLA 188-191 and 210-212, JONAH HEX 11, a few Shazam issues of DC COMICS PRESENTS, and primarily WORLD'S FINEST, where he had a long run in scattered issues from 257-286. And ALL-STAR SQUADRON 1-5.

Buckler clearly loves comics, and I think he got a kick out of morphing frequently into the styles of the artists he enjoyed from that era. A fanboy turned pro, perhaps the Rob Liefeld of the 70's.

But Buckler has done a lot of work I've enjoyed, despite how much he's borrowed from other artists.

I think the only artist who has swiped as much from other artists as Rich Buckler is Keith Giffen. Giffen was a Kirby clone in the 1970's on DEFENDERS, CLAW, AMAZING ADVENTURES and other titles.
But even during Giffen's best work in LEGION 285-306 (1982-1984), and LEGION 1-5 (1984 series), he was still swiping other artists, primarily Druillet panels from LONE SLONE/DILIRIUS.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

"decompressed storytelling"?

Is that maybe a term for bringing back the DC Multiple Earths, after the CRISIS series compressed them down to a single universe?
Maybe it's the same concept as "hypertime".

I thought it was the tendency to stretch a story out in order to fit it in a trade paperback.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
In SUPERMAN #271, Superman is taking on Brainiac, and throughout the battle, Brainiac is calling Superman a bunch of really weird names beginning with the word "old", including (I swear I'm taking these right from the comic, word for word):

"Old Cigarette Smoke"

"Old Father Of Modern Gardening"

"Old Paleolithic Cavern"

"Old Ohio College Town"

"Old 19th Century Jurist"

Seriously...of all the WTF's mentioned so far, this has gotta make the Top 5 list.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah, I remember that story.

And the twist (revealed several months later in the letter column) that each was a clue to a famous person, place or thing named either "Clark" or "Kent."

Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
OP Offline
Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

One of my all-time favorite goofy covers, SUPERBOY 159:
"The Day It Rained Superboys":

(click to enlarge)

There's no shortage wild, silly covers throughout the Silver Age SUPERBOY run. Many beautifully rendered by Neal Adams, though.
http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/ba...er=81&instock=1

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
"It's rainin' men...Hallelujah..."

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Here's a WTF for ya: Anyone remember Lex Luthor II? Long-haired, bearded, AUSTRALIAN Lex Luthor? I remember reading the Death of Superman after not reading DC comics for a while and I was like "The hell?"

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
That was exactly what happened with me. I'd read a bunch of Byrne era, then straight to that.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I think the biggest WTF is comic is that time Fawcett made a shameless Superman ripoff in the 40's. Good thing a judge settled the whole thing!

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Duck and cover everyone! Duck and cover!

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Has anyone around here mentioned Marvel's GA hero, The Whizzer? A guy in a yellow costume and winged headpiece who gains superspeed from an injection of mongoose blood. That's right - mongoose blood.

Speaking of Marvel, the fact that Dr. Spectrum has his own series also goes on here.

Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
OP Offline
Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
Quote:

I'm Not Mister Mxypltk said:
I think the biggest WTF is comic is that time Fawcett made a shameless Superman ripoff in the 40's. Good thing a judge settled the whole thing!

[sarcasm]Yeah, and an even bigger WTF is that DC turned around, ripped off Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Junior and renamed them Supergirl and Superboy.[/sarcasm]

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
...if you're saying that sarcastically you actually mean the opposite thing...

Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
OP Offline
Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
Nope. Mary & Junior came years before Superboy and Girl. Junior was created in 1941 and Mary in 1942. Superboy first saw publication in 1945, and Supergirl in 1954.

And it's really weird that DC didn't go after Fawcett over Captain Marvel 'til Cap started out-selling Supes. DC started amping Supes' powers up because of Cap's popularity.:p

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Let me say that again...

Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:
[sarcasm]Yeah, and an even bigger WTF is that DC turned around, ripped off Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Junior and renamed them Supergirl and Superboy.[/sarcasm]

If you say "Yeah, and an even bigger WTF is that DC turned around, ripped off Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Junior and renamed them Supergirl and Superboy" sarcastically, what you actually mean is "Supergirl and Superboy are not Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr ripoffs". Since that would be the smart thing to say and you're a Captain Marvel fan, I don't think you actually meant that, did you? No, I think you meant the opposite ("Supergirl and Superboy are Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr ripoffs") but, somehow, you managed to fuck up something as simple as the use of sarcasm and ended up saying what you said.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Has anyone around here mentioned Marvel's GA hero, The Whizzer? A guy in a yellow costume and winged headpiece who gains superspeed from an injection of mongoose blood. That's right - mongoose blood.

His costume is yellow, he runs really fast, and his name is The Whizzer. You figure it out.

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:
Here's a WTF for ya: Anyone remember Lex Luthor II? Long-haired, bearded, AUSTRALIAN Lex Luthor? I remember reading the Death of Superman after not reading DC comics for a while and I was like "The hell?"

I thought that was totally bizarre at the time. Didn't he date Supergirl as well?

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Grimm said:
Quote:

Darknight613 said:

His costume is yellow, he runs really fast, and his name is The Whizzer. You figure it out.

What's there to figure out? He's a lame Flash ripoff with the most idiotic origin in comics' history. A mongoose is a member of the weasel family. How the bloody hell can weasel blood give someone super-speed?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

And the twist (revealed several months later in the letter column) that each was a clue to a famous person, place or thing named either "Clark" or "Kent."

That wily Brainiac. No one gets his humour.

There was an issue of Batman where Captain Boomerang has captured Batman, doesn't unmask him, doesn't shoot him or drug him, but instead ties him with rope to a giant boomerang with a rocket on it, which launches itself into the sky and explodes, to Boomerang's delight. Of course, Batman has burned the rope in the jet flame (without burning his hands off) and leapt to safety while Boomerang wasn't looking. Good thing Boomerang didn't use chains.

This story reminds me of that bit in Austin Powers, where Scott Evil is giving Dr Evil grief for simply not shooting Austin Powers.

Pimping my site, again.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Dave said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

That wily Brainiac. No one gets his humour.

There was an issue of Batman where Captain Boomerang has captured Batman, doesn't unmask him, doesn't shoot him or drug him, but instead ties him with rope to a giant boomerang with a rocket on it, which launches itself into the sky and explodes, to Boomerang's delight. Of course, Batman has burned the rope in the jet flame (without burning his hands off) and leapt to safety while Boomerang wasn't looking. Good thing Boomerang didn't use chains.

If you're ragging on the "elaborate death trap as opposed to just shooting or unmasking the hero" scenario, what was it about this story that made it stand above the rest?

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Quote:

Dave said:
Quote:

King Snarf said:

I thought that was totally bizarre at the time. Didn't he date Supergirl as well?

Yes. And he referred to her as "luv" and every guy as "mate". Very disconcerting.

All hail King Snarf!

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
What's there to figure out? He's a lame Flash ripoff with the most idiotic origin in comics' history. A mongoose is a member of the weasel family. How the bloody hell can weasel blood give someone super-speed?

Well, I think it was irradiated mongoose blood, at least.

All hail King Snarf!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I guess it was the absurdity of the reality of the entire situation. Here you have a guy who has bought a rocket, built himself a big boomerang out of steel with enough aerodynamic design to enable it to fly rather than just blow up, wheeled this boomerang out of hiding, captured Batman....and he just ties him to the boomerang. All of that extraordinary effort, and then this happens.

Its probably no more absurd than any of the other silly deathtraps over the years... but even as a kid, I just thought this was ridiculous.

Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Quote:

Grimm said:
Quote:

Darknight613 said:

Um. It was a radioactive mongoose?

Pimping my site, again.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Wasn't there a comedian 20-30 years ago who did a bit where all the Batman villains got together for a conference and one of them said "guys, here's an idea: the next time one of us captures Batman...JUST SHOOT HIM?"

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:

Yes. And he referred to her as "luv" and every guy as "mate". Very disconcerting.

And not a single use of "sheila" or "rack off"

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
"'At's not a death ray."

Pulls something from his pants.

"'AT'S a death ray."

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard