Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/bobro/101408288568256.htm

Len Wein's Image... And More

By Bob Rozakis
Print This Item

Well, I could talk about the Image but, believe it or not, I might have other uses for him in the future, so I think I'll keep my own council for now.
- Len Wein

And I hope you do find a profitable use for him, Len. Meantime, my official unofficial researcher John Wells has dug up every bit of info that has actually appeared:

Much of the groundwork for the Image had been laid in 1984 issues of GREEN LANTERN by Len Wein. They related the story of Clay Kendall (#172), a Ferris Aircraft scientist whose psionics experiments had created a psi-chair (#173), which fueled his desire to become a super-hero (#175). He attempted to do just that when the Demolition Team attacked Ferris, only to have his chair short-circuit and explode (#179), severing his spinal cord (#180). A devastated Kendall was encouraged by his girl friend to rebuild the chair and become a super-hero anyway (#183).

Where all of this was headed had been detailed months earlier in AMAZING HEROES #39 (Jan. 15, 1984), which revealed that Clay's experiments would ultimately come to fruition in the form of the Image, a hero Wein described a "everything that Kendall wishes he was" and whom he hoped would spinoff to his own series. Accompanying the article was Dave Gibbons' portrayal of the Image.

Unfortunately, the Image never made it onstage before Wein left the series with #186. Clay Kendall, for what it's worth,went out with a bang as a representative of the millions killed in Coast City's demolition in SUPERMAN #80 (1993).

Never actually seen the image for The Image.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
So... The Image is a mental projection or something?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah, I'd guessed so. Clay Kendal was probably going to be sitting in his Ferris Aircraft psionics chair, directing a superhero mental projection. Its not a bad concept.

It annoyed the crap out of me as a 15 year old to have Wein move on and Engelbert take over and dump not just the plot line, but also the characters.

Pimping my site, again.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Yes but has anyone mentioned The Image?

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Who?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The guys who publish The Savage Dragon.

Pimping my site, again.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Savage Dragon wasn't a series that never happened!

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Someone mentioned on that old DCMB thread I reposted on the first page an aborted SPACE RANGER limited series by Michael Jan Friedman. I saw a few more references to it while I was reading the 1980s STARMAN series (the lame one). Here's something I found on a webpage somewhere, that took the text from a DC previews mag:

Quote:

Projecting ahead into the future--the DC Universe's future, that is--October will witness the release of the first issue of a n 8-issue maxiseries reintroducing the SPACE RANGER into the limelight. This series, by writer Michael Jan Friedman (STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION, penciller John Calimee (STARMAN, Nexus), and editor Paul Kupperberg, features the story of how spoiled rich kid Rick Starr becomes Space Ranger during his struggle against a covert alien plot for control of Earth in the 23rd century.

I'm actually kinda sad now that this miniseries never saw the light of day. I like seeing more of DC's non-superhero properties being used in starring roles.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
I never did explain that Crisis plotline thingie. And then Disco Steve left. Damn me!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Does anyone remember the Marvel house ads for a DR STRANGE series by Roger Stern and Frank Miller, back in 1980 ?

There were full-page ads for it in all the Marvel comics and magazines cover-dated February 1981.
https://comiconlinefree.com/ghost-rider-1973/issue-53/27

Miller was going to work on DOCTOR STRANGE.
But then DAREDEVIL writer Bob McKenzie left the series with issue 167, and Miller dropped his DOCTOR STRANGE commitment to focus on full creative control of DAREDEVIL, as both writer and artist. Miller began his writer/artist run in DAREDEVIL 168, with the memorable introduction of Elecktra. Which also had a full-page house ad, in Marvel issues dated Nov 1980:
https://comiconlinefree.com/howard-the-duck-1979/issue-8/56

How different the comics industry might be, if Miller had remained just the artist on DAREDEVIL.

And how great it would have been, even just a few issues, to see a Stern/Miller DR STRANGE.

Stern went on to do great work on DR STRANGE with Michael Golden, Marshall Rogers, Terry Austin, Dan Green, Tony Salmons, and Paul Smith (issues 46, 48-73, from 1981-1985). But I wonder what Miller would have added to the series.

One sample of Miller's potential on DOCTOR STRANGE is his work with the character in AMAZING SPIDERMAN ANNUAL 14 (1980), Scripted by Dennis O'Neil, pencilled by Miller, and inked by Tom Palmer.

https://comiconlinefree.com/the-amazing-spider-man-1963/issue-_Annual_14

In an excellent story, where Spiderman and Dr Strange team up to fight an apocalyptic threat to the world from Dormammu and Dr Doom. Very much worth reading, and some beautiful pages by Miller in his prime. I never would have selected Palmer to ink Miller, but it's a very nice combination.

Why so serious?
25+ posts
Why so serious?
25+ posts
Quote:

First Amongst Daves said:
Much of the groundwork for the Image had been laid in 1984 issues of GREEN LANTERN by Len Wein. They related the story of Clay Kendall (#172), a Ferris Aircraft scientist whose psionics experiments had created a psi-chair (#173), which fueled his desire to become a super-hero (#175). He attempted to do just that when the Demolition Team attacked Ferris, only to have his chair short-circuit and explode (#179), severing his spinal cord (#180). A devastated Kendall was encouraged by his girl friend to rebuild the chair and become a super-hero anyway (#183).

Where all of this was headed had been detailed months earlier in AMAZING HEROES #39 (Jan. 15, 1984), which revealed that Clay's experiments would ultimately come to fruition in the form of the Image, a hero Wein described a "everything that Kendall wishes he was" and whom he hoped would spinoff to his own series. Accompanying the article was Dave Gibbons' portrayal of the Image.

Unfortunately, the Image never made it onstage before Wein left the series with #186. Clay Kendall, for what it's worth,went out with a bang as a representative of the millions killed in Coast City's demolition in SUPERMAN #80 (1993).

Geff Johns likes to bring the dead back. Maybe this Image guy is actually 'Supernova' in the current 52?

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:I never would have selected Palmer to ink Miller, but it's a very nice combination.

Actually, I could see it working quite well, given some of the similarites between Tom Palmer's and Klaus Jansen's respective inking styles.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

----------------------------------------------
erdmann
posted August 01, 2002 01:11 PM
---------------------------------------------

In 1971, DC toyed with the idea of launching a line of glossy magazines. Among them were three Kirby titles "In the Days of the Mob," "True Divorce Cases" and a romance comic aimed at black readers.
Only one issue of "Mob" was published. For more information on the book, check out: http://twomorrows.com/16mob.html
Also under consideration was a magazine-format "House of Mystery" and a pulp-style "Batman."

In addition to DAYS OF THE MOB # 1, the other Kirby magazine released was SPIRIT WORLD # 1. At the bottom of page 1 of this topic, I detailed what happened to the stories produced for the second issue of each of these two titles.

As well as the unpublished SOUL LOVE romance magazine Kirby produced, which have only been partly published in the JACK KIRBY COLLECTOR fanzine, and the MASTERWORKS book I mentioned that has a sampling of unpublished Kirby pages, with a text restrospective of kirby's career up to 1978.

Quote:

And speaking of Kirby, he once worked on a "Prisoner" comic for Marvel after Steve Englehart and Gil Kane were bounced from the project. See: http://twomorrows.com/11prisoner.html

Kirby's 17-page THE PRISONER story (like the cancelled titles from the 1978 DC Implosion that were collected into a very limited 35 bound xeroxed copies and distributed as CANCELLED COMICS CAVALCADE vols 1 and 2, and now widely bootlegged) is also available as an unauthorized set of xeroxes, that I've seen occasionally offered on e-bay and elsewhere.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I think someone should mention The Image!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I was just about to mention him.

Pimping my site, again.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
But did you think about mentioning The Image?

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Another interesting announced project was an X-MEN GRAPHIC NOVEL by Neal Adams, in 1982, that never materialized. It was covered in COMIC BOOK ARTIST # 3 (an issue that focused on Neal Adams' late 60's/early 70's Marvel work).

Neal Adams discussed the proposed X-MEN graphic novel with Jim Shooter in 1982, and did 5 pages on speculation, on the verbal agreement that Shooter would draft a contract where Adams would have part ownership of his work, and not the then-standard work-for-hire Marvel contract.
A month or so later, Shooter didn't come through with the promised new contract, and Adams discontinued work on the project.

With Adams' exit, Brent Anderson was recruited, and the project evolved with Chris Claremont into the X-MEN: GOD LOVES, MAN KILLS graphic novel, released in 1983.

As I recall, there was also a Neal Adams X-MEN PORTFOLIO announced. I can't recall if the portfolio was actually released, or likewise cancelled.

Marvel recently released a Marvel Masterworks hardcover of Adams' X-MEN work that ran in in issues 56-63 and 65, published back in 1969.
Two Marvel Visionaries trade paperbacks of this material were previously released, over the last 8 years.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
Another interesting blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah X-MEN blah blah blah blah blah blah Neal Adams blah blah blah blah 1982blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Neal Adams' late 60's/early 70's Marvel blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Adams blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Jim Shooter in 1982, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Brent Anderson blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Chris Claremont blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah X-MEN: GOD LOVES, MAN KILLS blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 1983.

As I recall, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Neal Adams X-MEN PORTFOLIO blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Marvel blah blah blah blah Marvel Masterworks blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
Two Marvel Visionaries blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah over the last 8 years.

Bow ties are coool.
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Heh!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Ultimately, any topic in this forum is interesting or bla bla bla, depending on whether or not you're into it.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I was looking at BACK ISSUE on e-bay, and saw this one:

Quote:
Back Issue Magazine (2003) 46 VF 8.0

TwoMorrows
February 2011, Original Cover Price: $7.95

This issue spotlights 'The Greatest Stories Never Told,' loaded with rare and previously unpublished art!

Mike Grell reveals how his 'Savage Empire' strip became DC Comics' The Warlord.
Danny Fingeroth and Al Milgrom open the vault to reveal pages from the aborted Fantastic Four graphic novel Fathers and Sons.
And we go beyond John Byrne's Last Galactus Story.

PLUS: Ramona Fradon recalls what went wrong with the unpublished fifth issue of Marvel's The Cat;
Whatever Happened to Warlock #16? Alan Weiss and Jim Starlin reveal the tale of this comic-book cosmic oddity;
The Mystery of the Captain America Musical - The Star-Spangled Sentinel...live, on stage?;
"How the Batman Nearly Stepped Out of the Mainstream and into Independent Comics" - Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers almost took DC's Dark Detective to Mike Friedrich's indy house;
Pandora Pann's Lost Adventures - Who closed the lid on this Len Wein/Ross Andru title?;

Rejected cover art: Ms. Marvel #4 by John Buscema, Hot Wheels #1 by Alex Toth;
The Black Canary Miniseries That Never Took Flight - Greg Weisman blows the whistle on his unpublished collaboration with Mike Sekowsky;
The Aquaman Sequel That Wasn't - This anticipated follow-up to the Neal Pozner/Craig Hamilton miniseries was deep-sixed;
Batman/Mask (with Clayface) promo image by Dev Madan;
Bret Blevins on The Wolf Man - Dark Horse's Universal Monsters one-shots had one conspicuously missing monster;
Miracleman Triumphant - Fred Burke, Mike Deodato and Jason Temujin Minor lament this Eclipse Comics casualty.

BACK ISSUE, COMIC BOOK ARTIST, THE JACK KIRBY COLLECTOR, and other stuff from Two Morrows, have given the background on many of these "lost" stories, some of which were planned, and others that were fully produced and never published.

WARLOCK 16 by Starlin (1976), THE CAT # 5 (1973), and Byrne's "The Last Galactus Story" (1986), are ones I'd like to see.

Grell does a nice --and quite funny-- overview of how "Savage Empire" became WARLORD (1975), in his introduction to the WARLORD trade collection of the first 12 issues, in the 1991 collected WARLORD: SAVAGE EMPIRE.

The Englehart/Rogers Batman series in DETECTIVE almost moving to Star Reach also sounds interesting.

They basically did the same thing with MADAME XANADU when they moved the series (under another name) to Eclipse as SCORPIO ROSE in 1983. I never knew they thought about doing the same with Batman. They must have been plenty ticked off at DC!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Circa 1978-1979, Marvel was big into movie and TV-licensed stuff like STAR WARS, THE HULK, STAR TREK, and toy-based series like ROM and MICRONAUTS. Marvel wanted to develop a comic version of Patrick McGoohan's TV series THE PRISONER, and first went to Steve Englehart and Gil Kane who produced a complete first issue. For whatever reason, Marvel decided not to go with it.

They then assigned Jack Kirby to the project (who had already done a licensed 2001:A SPACE ODYSSEY movie adaptation and 10-issue series), who likewise produced a complete THE PRISONER first issue.
But Marvel, for whatever reason, again shelved the project.

Not until 1988 did Dean Motter finally produce a THE PRISONER adaptation for DC.
And a second series, both released in collected trades.

And the two unpublished issues, roughly 40 years later, were recently finally published in an artists' edition hardcover in 2018.
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=46721143

I bought the xeroxes of these issues on Ebay over 10 years ago.
But I'm sure, much nicer in an artists' edition.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard