Man....

I just finished seeing Judgement at Nurmeburg.

I dunno... I wasn't expecting it to be so.... devestating.

I usually associate that kind of realism and relevance to more contemporary fare (such as Schindlers List). But man... I highly recommend this film. It touches on so many topics, many which are relevent to this day such as the nature of patriotism, the ends justifying the means and collective guilt.

The Holoucast footage (real footage) was particulary hard to watch and bear. It's one of those rare times in a film where I was actually brought to tears.

Man, this one is gonna affect me for some time. Right now I feel as spent as when I saw Schilndlers List.

Listen

Quote:

But this trial has shown that under a national crisis, ordinary -- even able and extraordinary -- men can delude themselves into the commission of crimes so vast and heinous that they beggar the imagination. No one who has sat at the trial can ever forget them: Men sterilized because of political belief; a mockery made of friendship and faith; the murder of children. How easily this can happen.

There are those in our own country too who today speak of the "protection of country" -- of "survival." A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient -- to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is "survival as what?" A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult!

Before the people of the world let it now be noted that here, in our decision, this is what we stand for: justice, truth, and the value of a single human being.