Quote:

the G-man said:
McDonald's sign creates controversey:

The sign at McDonald's on the corner of Falls of Neuse and Spring Forest Road reads: "Merry Christmas, Jesus is the Reason for the Season." It is a holiday message that Amanda Alpert thinks comes on a little too strongly.

"It offends me because it specifically talks about Jesus, Merry Christmas. It doesn't give credit to anyone else," Alpert said.

Alpert called the McDonald's corporate office in Atlanta and requested that the sign be changed to the politically correct Happy Holidays.

"I care because I'm Jewish, and the reason for the season is upsetting to me," Alpert said.

There's alwyas one, isn't there?

I think she's overreacting here, at least in terms of demanding a "Happy Holidays" theme. If they want to have a Christmas theme, fine.

As for the Jesus is the reason for the season thing itself...I dunno. Logically, I don't see anything wrong with it, but I'm getting one of those inexplicable "something's wrong here" gut instinct feeling.

As I mentioned on the other thread, a "Jesus is the reason for the season" sign has different connotations than a Christmas tree or a sign saying "Merry Christmas" would. It might be seen as an attempt at proselytizing, which is the type of thing we do get uncomfortable about (and rightly so.)

Last edited by Darknight613; 2005-12-15 11:46 PM.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script